• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Nirvana

The Justin Bieber of the video game world...

I'm sure the people at IW and Treyarch work very hard to make the best game they can, but the original concept just has no potency or soul, the campaign is always a transparent attachment onto a marketable and profitable multiplayer experience; as much as Halo ticks the boxes for a big corporate fat cat, it still has the feeling of artistic integrity, even if that feeling is waning as the marketing side becomes more pronounced. COD is a good quality product, always is, always will be; but it is soulless.

Conor 419

Banned
It didn't return to the core mechanics though. they added even more cod elements than reach did. they sped up the game in movement and sprint along with fast respawn. there is no way that feels like halo 1-3.

Again this is just our different level of understanding on what core mechanics are.

Biggzy

It's funny because Microsoft could buy activistion right now! Also more then half I would guess is on the 360. So it's a win win for Microsoft.

It's a win for MS already. They get about $12 for each copy of BLOPS2 sold in royalties, add in money from season passes as well and you can see why it will be pointless for MS to buy Activizion Blizzard.

Sordid

I'm not the best at this game so I might be wrong but wouldn't it make more sense to swap the BR and DMR's kill time? That way the BR is better in close quarters but loses out at distance due to the DMR's 3x scope. As it is now the DMR wins almost every time (I still use both though, can't ignore the BR!).

wwm0nkey

Griefers. Griefers. Griefers. I'm happy to be beat fair and square, but when you intentionally hold off from scoring the final flag so you can spawn kill to boost your TOTALLY SICK K/D, BRO, you are a fucking asshole, a piece of shit. I love Halo (not so much the recent games, but that's beside the point), but the community makes me want to hate it.

If you grief I hope you die in a fire.

The fact that 343 has done ABSOLUTELY nothing in regards to griefing shows how fucking useless they are.

Oh and if one of team members decides to be an ass and intentionally betray you using the Mantis' stomp did you know you don't get the option to boot? Great fucking system there 343. Fucking clowns.

I MAD.
1. Griefing is in every game
2. You can boot after they betray someone 2 to 3 times.

Nirvana

Griefers. Griefers. Griefers. I'm happy to be beat fair and square, but when you intentionally hold off from scoring the final flag so you can spawn kill to boost your TOTALLY SICK K/D, BRO, you are a fucking asshole, a piece of shit. I love Halo (not so much the recent games, but that's beside the point), but the community makes me want to hate it.

The fact that 343 has done ABSOLUTELY nothing in regards to griefing shows how fucking useless they are.

Oh and if one of your team members decides to be an ass and intentionally betray you using the Mantis' stomp did you know you don't get the option to boot? Great fucking system there 343. Fucking clowns.

I MAD.

I don't care about griefers, not one bit, that's their perogative. What I do care about are fucking team mates who get in fucking ghosts and mongooses and run me over. This has happened to me 3 times on 3 different maps, by 3 different people. If you can't drive the damn thing, don't get in it. One of these times I was on my way to a Rampage with no deaths the entire game. Why did 343 turn off team killing for guns, but kept it for splatters? It makes zero sense and I lose shields from/get killed by my team's vehicles all the time. It's incredibly frustrating.

Reach comes out, everyone bitches about the lack of a carrier waypoint for the first few months: "WTF BUNGIE QUIT CUTTING BASIC FEATURES"

4 comes out, waypoint returns, everyone still bitches: "WTF 343 QUIT CUTTING BASIC FEATURES"

GAF complains about the soundtrack: "IT SOUNDS TOO MUCH LIKE A SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER, NO ORIGINALITY"

Favorite track on average is Solace, which is the most stereotypically summer blockbuster track in the entire OST right down to the note progression

What the hell, HaloGAF?

wwm0nkey

1. Every other game doesn't have it as bad as this. And Halo should be better than this, it's not hard to come up with intelligent systems to reduce griefing. 343 haven't even tried ANYTHING, they've simply done nothing.
2. Not to the situation I was refering to.

Halo 3 had it just as bad when people found out the touch boot system. No game is perfect or will ever be perfect when it comes to booting or griefing because idiots will always find ways to ruin someones fun. Also there were the modders in Halo 2 that would pick up the objective and fly way outside the map until the game ended.

IHaveIce

Banned
1. Every other game doesn't have it as bad as this. And Halo should be better than this, it's not hard to come up with intelligent systems to reduce griefing. 343 haven't even tried ANYTHING, they've simply done nothing.
2. Not to the situation I was refering to.

lol, every game had this. Reach had it also reeeaaally often, just because you didn't play agaisnt somene didn't mean it wasn't there.

The game is 2 weeks out, let them look what have to be removed in some playlists.

And what shpuld you do against it heh?

Reach comes out, everyone bitches about the lack of a carrier waypoint for the first few months: "WTF BUNGIE QUIT CUTTING BASIC FEATURES"

4 comes out, waypoint returns, everyone still bitches: "WTF 343 QUIT CUTTING BASIC FEATURES"

GAF complains about the soundtrack: "IT SOUNDS TOO MUCH LIKE A SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER, NO ORIGINALITY"

Favorite track on average is Solace, which is the most stereotypically summer blockbuster track in the entire OST right down to the note progression

What the hell, HaloGAF?

This is a terrible post. If people disliked the removal of indicators before why is it strange that the removal or more indicators has pissed them Off again?

Also you can like something but think it doesn't fit in. The songs good, that doesn't mean it fits into the halo soundtrack cleanly. I quite like the song ezios family from the assassins creed soundtrack but doubt it would work as a halo song.

Halo 4 soundtrack reminds me a lot Of the assassins creed 2 ost.

Omni

inb4 the inevitable MS and 343i conference where MS 'pressures' 343i into putting ADS into Halo 5 in an attempt to bring more people in.

Was getting frustrated at the game tonight, so I went into Oddball. Nothing is better than letting a guy get your shields down and then throwing the ball at him so he can't shoot. Love seeing that moment where he thinks "Oh shit"

Coux

Neo Member
Was getting frustrated at the game tonight, so I went into Oddball. Nothing is better than letting a guy get your shields down and then throwing the ball at him so he can't shoot. Love seeing that moment where he thinks "Oh shit"

Please tell me you made a video of this...

I actually haven't noticed much griefing so far in Halo 4. There's spawn killing, but that's nothing new.

The betrayals that have happened to me are always clearly accidental.

Omni

Please tell me you made a video of this...

Saved film in theatre, but as of now it's pretty useless. (any word on an ETA for fileshares yet and/or a rendering service?)

So easy to do because of the extreme auto-grab though (Just throw the thing in the general direction and they automatically pick it up.. hahaha)

Sordid

I actually haven't noticed much griefing so far in Halo 4. There's spawn killing, but that's nothing new.

The betrayals that have happened to me are always clearly accidental.

The one time I got a binary rifle as an ordnance drop a team mate followed me around the map jumping in front of my scope and shooting randomly to draw attention. I got killed, he teabagged me and ran off with my gun :lol

Been ran over by a ghosts a few times too, people will do anything to steal a kill.

Save the file and wait for the theater upload shit to get fixed.
Will do. I'll show you guys when that feature becomes available and then you'll all laugh at how pathetic it was :)
Daaaamn, nice. I've got a killtac and several overkills. I've never gotten a killamanjaro in any Halo game.

Also: Grifball is so much more fun in Halo 4.
I pretty much went to sleep last night early, so i'm trying to catch up on posts. I just wanted to say that it wasn't the most impressive Killamanjaro. Everything just fell into place where I was benefiting from my teammate's work more so than anything impressive I was doing on my own (finishing off their kills, luckily getting credit for a couple of grenade kills that could have gone to someone else. And if the other team had been focusing on me, I would have died before my second or third kill. But I suppose that's generally how the larger multi-kills usually happen.
Is it? I apologize. I don't know why you think I'm doing it, but it's not to be funny or annoying or anything. I'm going through some pretty severe mental issues at the moment and it is very hard right now. Stuff I've been dealing with for three-quarters of my life that I should've seen someone about a long time ago, but I didn't and now it's very bad. I'm seeing a psychologist about it all now.

I almost didn't go to NYCC because of what I'm dealing with, and I was pretty distant there. The trip was worth it at least for Frankie signing my Halo 3 copy, which means so much to me. And everyone there was great.

And at times I've considered not posting here for a while because I am so afraid that in a passing comment I'll something on here that I shouldn't, and I can't let that happen. But I guess if I'm saying that I should stop posting here for a bit. Believe or not, and I know it might not make any sense, but it's helping me cope. They're just terms of endearment, nothing more.

Sorry for everyone that I annoyed. I don't know what to do; I'm pretty messed up in the head at the moment.
This is late, but wishing you the best of luck with everything you're dealing with. I haven't been the easiest poster on halogaf for you to deal with (for anyone, actually), so I apologize. You may also call me
pumpkin :)

m23

The red X's is a HUGE issue and I can't believe 343 took it out. What reason could they possibly have to take that out? On top of that, its tough to come up with callouts for some of the maps to let your team know where you died.

Gazzawa

The red X's is a HUGE issue and I can't believe 343 took it out. What reason could they possibly have to take that out? On top of that, its tough to come up with callouts for some of the maps to let your team know where you died.

Top Mid...close enough :'(

Not just red Xs, but Orange for taking damage and Yellow for firing.
Yeah. Right now you can see your teammates icon turn to a slightly darker color when they're taking damage, but it's not easy to see unless you're specifically looking for it. I like the X over your dead body, but I think spawn timers would need to be adjusted slightly if they add them.

GhaleonEB

Can't be said enough, the ordnance simply doesn't spawn enough, nor does it spawn the correct things. Just played a game of Slayer Pro where a team got the lead and set up in one of the bases of Adrift, and it's basically shooting fish in a barrel because you're funneled into tight spaces no matter what area you come from. Rockets would be swell to break something like that up and actually force them to move. :|

I could also go with having some spare weapons on the map itself. I played BTB Infinity Slayer last night (for some reason) on Ragarock. It's basically two teams setting up camp on the outer edges of the map and DMRing each other for the entire duration of the game, with the occasional vehicle swinging by before getting instantly EMP'd and naded. But on three or four occasions, I ran out of ammo and there were no spares anywhere. Weapons dropped by other players despawned too fast to be useful.

I still, instinctively, look around for extra weapons laying about at spawn, before realizing there aren't any. Really baffling.

someone mentioned it a while ago, but it's probably because of instant respawns.

so remove instant respawns and bring back red x's!

Yeah. Right now you can see your teammates icon turn to a slightly darker color when they're taking damage, but it's not easy to see unless you're specifically looking for it. I like the X over your dead body, but I think spawn timers would need to be adjusted slightly if they add them.
Yeah, that was likely a factor in their decision. Hope 343 are interested in turning this ship around, or at least making an equally strong boat for us.

dalVlatko

Oh and if one of your team members decides to be an ass and intentionally betray you using the Mantis' stomp did you know you don't get the option to boot? Great fucking system there 343. Fucking clowns.

I MAD.
Just quit the game. If you are getting destroyed so much that the game going on longer is making you that angry why are you sticking around?

" I'm happy to be beat fair and square"

Apparently not.

kylej

Banned
But on three or four occasions, I ran out of ammo and there were no spares anywhere. Weapons dropped by other players despawned too fast to be useful.

I still, instinctively, look around for extra weapons laying about at spawn, before realizing there aren't any. Really baffling.

Yeah this is yet another reeeeeeeally bizarre part of the game. Why the hell can't I pick up ammo for my gun anywhere? The whole game is about shooting things... give me ammo. So stupid.

Louis Wu

Fucking LOVE join in progress.

It was 2 v 4 for the first half of the match and people kept quitting out then my team filled up and we kicked ass.

If not for JIP it would have been an unfun ass kicking, instead, my team won.
I've been pretty unhappy with JIP - but last night, I had one of these games. It started as 5v3 (CTF on Ragnarok), and I was getting ready to get badly beaten. They pulled a flag really early, and despite working hard to protect it, they capped, in the first couple of minutes. But then things turned around. I got a couple of lucky multikills (Trip with a splazer on a hog picking up the flag, double on another one a minute later), and two new teammates joined... we went on to win 5-1.

feelsgoodman

dat relatively young Wu.
YOU GUYS MADE ME OLD

m23

someone mentioned it a while ago, but it's probably because of instant respawns.

so remove instant respawns and bring back red x's!

Even with instant respawn I think it would be possible to keep the red X on the dead body for like 3 seconds or so. It just makes it so much harder to work together, especially when playing with the odd random on our team.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah this is yet another reeeeeeeally bizarre part of the game. Why the hell can't I pick up ammo for my gun anywhere? The whole game is about shooting things... give me ammo. So stupid.

This one I agree with. Literally every time I play Ragnarock I run out of ammo. At the very least they should put an ammo crate inside each base or something.

Omni

I just realised the first map pack will be out in a few weeks. Wonder when the first screens will be released?

(Plus was there supposed to be a code with the Limited Edition that allows you to get the map packs? I'm 80% sure that there wasn't with mine)

Woorloog

Banned
I just realised the first map pack will be out in a few weeks. Wonder when the first screens will be released?

(Plus was there supposed to be a code with the Limited Edition that allows you to get the map packs? I'm 80% sure that there wasn't with mine)

It was the code that unlocked the Prime armor and weapon skins etc. It clearly reads it also gives access to the map packs.

DeadNames

Banned
Even with instant respawn I think it would be possible to keep the red X on the dead body for like 3 seconds or so. It just makes it so much harder to work together, especially when playing with the odd random on our team.

Hate to pull this card, but...

That's what happens in CoD. 343 should learn a lesson.

Top Bottom