• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

kylej

Banned
Ff4ALf9ZGUSybqtOS9hD1Q2.gif

source pls

I would really like to see stopping power on melee weapons, I thought that was the point..
Same. I can pretend that shooting the guy rushing me with sword is going to somehow slow him down, but I've never found that to be the case. When trying to run away from gunfire I have noticed that my progress is slown down, but I don't think it's enough to where someone sprinting at me with sword would actually be hampered by it.

Tawpgun

Don't know how you're okay with the boltshot ram. Any playlist with radar on the thing is absurd. A huge one hit kill range, extend that a bit and you have the range for stripping shields.

and you can spawn with it. Its annoying to be so cheaply killed. I do what I can to avoid it but I can't just NOT fight in cqc. Its unavoidable sometimes.

I shut down an entire hallway in regicide with the gun.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don't know how you're okay with the boltshot ram. Any playlist with radar on the thing is absurd. A huge one hit kill range, extend that a bit and you have the range for stripping shields.

and you can spawn with it. Its annoying to be so cheaply killed. I do what I can to avoid it but I can't just NOT fight in cqc. Its unavoidable sometimes.
Yeah I argued in this thread before situations are avoidable but when you have camo campers and when it invalidates the use of half of the primaries in the process, the lack of balance becomes clearer by the game.

It's not "okay" because of it makes half of the primaries useless and promotes very shitty, campy, and for lack of better words YOLO gameplay all around. Needs half the range.

Ramirez

Eh... I don't want to speak for people, because I personally haven't encountered it, but it's hard to look at that (and Bravo's video) and not see how that would feel like an exceptionally cheap, unearned kill.

So perhaps they aren't getting dominated, but very frustrated by that?

Of course they're frustrated, they get killed one time in a game and then come cry on GAF with a knee jerk reaction. It is the internet way.

Same. I can pretend that shooting the guy rushing me with sword is going to somehow slow him down, but I've never found that to be the case. When trying to run away from gunfire I have noticed that my progress is slown down, but I don't think it's enough to where someone sprinting at me with sword would actually be hampered by it.
That's because the slow down mechanic doesn't affect the sword. Because fuck you, that's why.

The same argument could be made, and was made, regarding vanilla Reach vs. TU Reach. Vanilla always had a dramatically higher population (the Team Slayer/Super Slayer split was usually like 9k vs. 900 at peak hours by the end), and some of that is likely because of naming, placement in the listing, and relatively small things that people dislike in the alternative playlists, dissuading them from leaving the ever-populated comfort zone. Infinity Slayer is at the top of the list, it is named after the entire multiplayer suite which gives it immediate brand recognition, and it is generally a much easier playlist to do well in because it isn't populated by almost exclusively hardcore Halo players like TS Pro is. Then you have stuff like radar, which the vast majority of Halo players are used to and popping into TS Pro and not having it could be a bit of a turnoff. With Reach's vanilla TS and now Infinity, I'd wager that you could make some significant changes to core elements (previously reducing bloom, in 4 moving away from Global Ordnance, toning down Personal Ordnance, etc) and a significant portion of IS's playerbase wouldn't even notice because it ostensibly consists of people who don't necessarily take Halo as seriously as other communities.

I'm not saying the majority-rules sentiment is false or anything, just that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what tradeoff people are making and how the in-game marketing of the playlists affects those numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if TS Pro went the way of the dodo because of its population, we'll have to see if it recovers after SWAT and Snipers aren't around. Those two additions really chomped into its playerbase hard.

Thats a great point. So do you think, using the TU Reach mentality, that a Slayer playlist, Say with ordinance reduced, and alot of the settings people are clamouring for implemented, would reduce the complaining and make the purists happy?

Even if it were to have a significantly lower pop. base?

Also you touched on location of a playlist in the actual list. I think thats really interesting how that can have an affect on what people play. The casuals seem to just play the top gamemode ande thats that. Id love to see 343 run a trial if even for a day. Re arrange the playlists and see if there are any population changes.

Fun fact: Grenadier + Explosives + Plasma Grenades + Plasma Pistol in a loadout. If you EMP a Mantis and hit it with all three grenades, it's enough to kill it.

To the people who were complaining that you can't defeat a Mantis on foot: there you go.

Slowdown doesn't affect the Sword (and I assume the Hammer as well).

TheOddOne

re' SpOps and reused areas... isnt the reason we arent truly seeing new environments is because SpOps isnt truly DLC, in that these environments shipped on the disc and the DLC part is only the set up? seems unrealistic to hope for truly new environments unless they have held some back from the first 3 episodes that are still on the disc, or we get a hefty download of DLC.

probably late to this idea. oh well.
I just dislike the way it was presented to use before the release. I think if the told the truth, I would be inclinded to be a bit easier on them for it. However I am enjoying what they have released so far.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Thats a great point. So do you think, using the TU Reach mentality, that a Slayer playlist, Say with ordinance reduced, and alot of the settings people are clamouring for implemented, would reduce the complaining and make the purists happy?

They have a tendency to hold those playlists in contempt after a while for whatever reason. Also I hated split settings in Reach, so no, it would make me shake my head that they can't throw the people that actually care about higher-level play a bone and fix the issues MM-wide instead of doting on the BKs on Waypoint, who abused all the shit in Reach and made it miserable, speaking for the silent majority.

It definitely needs to be applied to the sword. The Hammer feels like it has a smaller lunge but yeah, without the Spartan huffing and puffing while sprinting it makes maps like Adrift hell.

That's because the slow down mechanic doesn't affect the sword. Because fuck you, that's why.
That's craziness. I had no idea. Right now I'm trying to figure out what purpose slowdown has being in the game. Also didn't know about losing your commendation exp if you've already capped exp for the day. That's pretty silly. Commendations are like milestones that you never get back. The exp should at least be applied to your account the next day, automatically. RolloverXPplease!

IHaveIce

Banned
Is the Boltshot glitch fixed yet?

Nope I think I did it today.

Also Meltdown and Vortex are afwul maps for Team Snipers.

And just saw the gametype setting from Arenagaming and I'm confused, competive players are complaining about the long wait for shield recharging, but they don't change it to a shorter time?

I messed around with the settings and set the shield recharge time lower and it was much better.

Also they should think about keeping the motion tracker on, but only show allies ( for the x on the radar) Also I don't know if you can give spezialisation mods in custom games to anyone, but Stability is better than Dexterity I think.. but that are only my 2 cents

Havok

Also you touched on location of a playlist in the actual list. I think thats really interesting how that can have an affect on what people play. The casuals seem to just play the top gamemode ande thats that. Id love to see 343 run a trial if even for a day. Re arrange the playlists and see if there are any population changes.
Maybe, I don't really know that we can say for sure, especially with the breadth of gametypes Halo has. I mean, I'd love to see a Halo 4 without global ordnance, but if it's just going to be another Slayer playlist? Might as well not even bother, because I'm not going to be interested in it. It's not an easy problem to solve, but I think you can probably make some pretty significant changes on the edge in the mainline highly-populated playlists without the big IS crowd noticing much. They need to actually avoid a lot of the TU Reach mentalities, because trying to please everyone results in massive playlist bloat where nobody is really happy. I don't know that there's a good solution without just manning up and either changing the game globally or telling the hardcore community to deal with it.

As for the listing test you mentioned...they actually did that with Reach, albeit inadvertantly. The Anniversary subsection of the Reach playlist listing used to be at the top (I actually don't know if it is anymore), and there were four playlists in the subsection: Anniversary Squad, Anniversary Classic, Anniversary BTB, and Anniversary Firefight.

Ann. Squad was basically just TU Reach on the updated variants of the Anniversary Map Pack maps (and those new variants were by and large total garbage), while Anniversary Classic had increased movement speed and the 3sk pistol. When these playlists launched, Squad was at the number 1 spot both in listing and in population, with about 3000 players concurrently. Anniversary Classic maintained about 800 at that time and was the second listed playlist.

One day, and I don't know why they decided to make the change, they swapped the playlists' positions and Classic was at the top of the list with Squad right below it. The populations literally reversed overnight. Classic hit 3000, Squad was at about 800. It is maybe the most obvious indication we have that most Halo players just mash A until they are shooting a man.

Akai__

Yo Croatia, did you check your PMs? : )

Cheked and answered.

Edit: Really sorry, for the delay. Wasn't even on my Xbox today, cause I'm quite too busy with uni and there are other important things, too.

---

So, I was just sitting in a public bus and the busdriver acted really weird. He stopped at stations, were this bus wouldn't stop normally and on one stations he turned off the engines and smoked a cigarette. Was a little bit confused and worried, because there was a busdriver reported, who was doing cocaine a few weeks ago.

Weird things are happening...

Maybe, I don't really know that we can say for sure, especially with the breadth of gametypes Halo has. I mean, I'd love to see a Halo 4 without global ordnance, but if it's just going to be another Slayer playlist? Might as well not even bother, because I'm not going to be interested in it. It's not an easy problem to solve, but I think you can probably make some pretty significant changes on the edge in the mainline, populated playlists without the big IS crowd noticing much. They need to actually avoid a lot of the TU Reach mentalities, because trying to please everyone results in massive playlist bloat where nobody is really happy. I don't know that there's a good solution without just manning up and either changing the game globally or telling the hardcore community to deal with it.

As for the listing test you mentioned...they actually did that with Reach, albeit inadvertantly. The Anniversary subsection of the Reach playlist listing used to be at the top (I actually don't know if it is anymore), and there were four playlists in the subsection: Anniversary Squad, Anniversary Classic, Anniversary BTB, and Anniversary Firefight.

Ann. Squad was basically just TU Reach on the updated variants of the Anniversary Map Pack maps (and those new variants were by and large total garbage), while Anniversary Classic had increased movement speed and the 3sk pistol. When these playlists launched, Squad was at the number 1 spot both in listing and in population, with about 3000 players concurrently. Anniversary Classic maintained about 800 at that time and was the second listed playlist.

One day, and I don't know why they decided to make the change, they swapped the playlists' positions and Classic was at the top of the list with Squad right below it. The populations literally reversed overnight. Classic hit 3000, Squad was at about 800. It is maybe the most obvious indication we have that most Halo players just mash A until they are shooting a man.

That really is crazy when you think about it. In fact i remember my first ever online multiplayer match, it was on Halo 2. I picked the top playlist at the time which was Rumble Pit so i guess there is a truth to that.

On a lighter note, anyone want to play some Dominion?

That's craziness. I had no idea. Right now I'm trying to figure out what purpose slowdown has being in the game. Also didn't know about losing your commendation exp if you've already capped exp for the day. That's pretty silly. Commendations are like milestones that you never get back. The exp should at least be applied to your account the next day, automatically. RolloverXPplease!

It's in the game to be able to kill people that just try to sprint away from you.

As for it not being on the sword, they said they had it on at one point in development, but it made the sword completely useless.

zlatko

Banned
Is the Boltshot glitch fixed yet?

Not sure, but speaking of the boltshot I totally stand by it's fuck awesomeness. That bad boy saves lives if you use a promethean vision or camo build. A lot of times I will be full red, and the guy will come to rush me, so if I pop up PV to see my enemy coming I can charge and release to save my life or trade with them.

Gun works great if you use camo and surprise others with it.

Even without them it's just a solid choice on a lot of maps. Although I do find it hilarious when others try to use it against me and all I do is walk backwards so they blow their load haha.

This XP cap is ridiculous. I only went up like three and a half levels last night before I hit it. Keep in mind that was maybe 10 matches, if that.

pakkit

Banned
This game reminds me of Nintendo's multiplayer design philosophy in that there is plenty of chaos, color, and, despite it all, skill can win out in the end.

I'm really positive for the majority of changes in multiplayer, honestly. Single player has been worsened, but I've never been a big single player Halo gamer.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
ok bought streaming stuff and a webcam they'll be here Friday. I'm not closing on my house until the 30th due to a slight seller's delay so for an entire week you guys will get to literally watch me play video games in my mother's basement. should be good times.

Omg I can't wait.

Go into your channel and type "/mod tashiii"

How to fix jetpack and thrusters simultaneously:

1. change thruster pack so it carries you in the direction of your current inertia (this has been suggested multiple times already ITT)
However, what just occurred to me (and I'm probably LTTP with this): if you fire your thrusters while jumping, you will be thrusted upward, allowing you to take different routes over the map than normally without totally breaking the map flow. It would be similar to the grav lift.

2. throw jetpack into the fires of mount doom. add camo.

IHaveIce

Banned
Chris Puckett ‏@MLGPuckett
Tongiht on the Halo Hour, I'll be playing Halo 4 Custom games created by the awesome people at @ForgeCafe. Send "Puckett" a message for inv

just a heads up, maybe someone is interested

It's in the game to be able to kill people that just try to sprint away from you.

As for it not being on the sword, they said they had it on at one point in development, but it made the sword completely useless.
They wouldn't have heard any complaints from me. So they add sprint, but try and make it so you can't just run away from gunfire, but they remove it from melee weapons as to not render them useless. Seems like the game would have benefited from not even having sprint, or at least not having it a default ability and something you had to pick and choose from all the abilities, instead.

TCKaos

Is there a way to figure out which terminals I've found already?

I've found five of them, but I'm not sure which ones I've found. I think they're the ones on Infinity and Shutdown, but I can't find a way to tell.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ok bought streaming stuff and a webcam they'll be here Friday. I'm not closing on my house until the 30th due to a slight seller's delay so for an entire week you guys will get to literally watch me play video games in my mother's basement. should be good times.

Awe sheeeit.

Grats on soon to being a homeowner too!

Ryaaan14

Banned
So are more people quitting Halo?

I've been away from home but I've glossed over things about horrible playlists, camo breaking the game, and the Bestshot needing a nerf.

Akai__

Is there a way to figure out which terminals I've found already?

I've found five of them, but I'm not sure which ones I've found. I think they're the ones on Infinity and Shutdown, but I can't find a way to tell.

I think you can find out, by checking Waypoint for it, but not sure. If not, just look up the ones you have found on YouTube, for example and it should say, where you found those.

Should be a lot easier, imo. Could have just a tiny symbol on the mission screen with "terminal found" or like the way Halo Wars did it with the skulls, medals and blackboxes.

They wouldn't have heard any complaints from me. So they add sprint, but try and make it so you can't just run away from gunfire, but they remove it from melee weapons as to not render them useless. Seems like the game would have benefited from not even having sprint, or at least not having it a default ability and something you had to pick and choose from all the abilities, instead.

Well obviously the game would be better without sprint, but "something something modern shooters have to have sprint"

Top Bottom