• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

This is the most conflicted I have ever been regarding a game. Halo IS my favorite video games series. The time I have poured into it and it's extended universe is unreal. No other game has received even close to the amount of time and care I have put into Halo. If any other game brought so much negativity towards my view of it, I'd have no problem getting rid of it and forgetting it. I keep trying to tell myself that I will like Halo 4, because I like Halo. It's a horrible feeling, and I wish it would pass. I have a pretty damn good idea of what Halo 4 did so wrong that made me not want to play, but that deep down Halo fan inside of me doesn't want to quit the series. At the same time, I really don't want to be stuck in the past, playing old Halo's forever, I can't do that anymore. I can't repeatedly play the old games just to get my fix. It's 1 part nostalgia, and 1 part love for what Halo used to be that would make me throw the old games back into my console. I don't like the feeling of having to say goodbye to the franchise, but I keep feeling like I am moving that way, and it makes sad.

Aggrotek

It is that one. I didn't have an iOS device to use the app on (love the fact that I have a Windows Phone - which I adore - but can't use the app designed to pair with a first-party Microsoft game franchise), and it wasn't available for any North American pre-order, so I traded with a dear friend in Australia. He wanted CIO, I wanted LOCUS. Match made in Halo.

I still wish I could get my hands on a preorder GUNGNIR code, but have had no luck to this point.

Is the Locus helmet preorder only? Or is there a way to unlock it?

neoism

This is the most conflicted I have ever been regarding a game. Halo IS my favorite video games series. The time I have poured into it and it's extended universe is unreal. No other game has received even close to the amount of time and care I have put into Halo. If any other game brought so much negativity towards my view of it, I'd have no problem getting rid of it and forgetting it. I keep trying to tell myself that I will like Halo 4, because I like Halo. It's a horrible feeling, and I wish it would pass. I have a pretty damn good idea of what Halo 4 did so wrong that made me not want to play, but that deep down Halo fan inside of me doesn't want to quit the series. At the same time, I really don't want to be stuck in the past, playing old Halo's forever, I can't do that anymore. I can't repeatedly play the old games just to get my fix. It's 1 part nostalgia, and 1 part love for what Halo used to be that would make me throw the old games back into my console. I don't like the feeling of having to say goodbye to the franchise, but I keep feeling like I am moving that way, and it makes sad.

pretty much this... it sucks balls... I love this series.. but H4 is just not a well made game, let alone a halo game. MM feels shitty and fantic and is just not fun at all... got to say though thanks 343 for saving me 400+ next gen unless you guys stop sucking at making games no halo 5 for me

Destiny save us!

IGN is running a Halo 4 Vs Blops2 thing.

"Best multiplayer maps since Halo 2"

Wow.

image.php

Ramirez

All of the people who hate the game should take a page out of Over's book. At least he can put together a well thought out post of his problems with the game, but "lol sucks balls isn't a Halo game" is waypoint levels of dogshit posting.

Aggrotek

All of the people who hate the game should take a page out of Over's book. At least he can put together a well thought out post of his problems with the game, but "lol sucks balls isn't a Halo game" is waypoint levels of dogshit posting.

I lol'd at your avatar.

I agree though. I have several complaints about this game but none of them are so large that I would stop playing. I think overall the game is great.

My biggest issue with the game is that I suck at it lol.

I'm only not having fun cause I get fucking slapped, not sure why. I'm no pro, but typically I'm pretty good compared to the average scrub in not just Halo, but any shooter out there.

Halo and Smash Bros. for me. Don't even get me started on Nintendo dropping the ball on Brawl's execution.. When netplay on an emulator is way more efficient than an "official" online network you know you have a problem :/

FyreWulff

Halo and Smash Bros. for me. Don't even get me started on Nintendo dropping the ball on Brawl's execution.. When netplay on an emulator is way more efficient than an "official" online network you know you have a problem :/

That's because they went with lockstep (they slowed down the simulation when someone started falling behind)

Namco is developing the next Smash though so they're probably going to be using their SC/etc netcode for Smash now.

Your emulator netplay was better because you had input delay instead / just better connections to the people playing.

edit: it should be noted that Iwata said in an interview that they were originally just going to take Melee and put it online if Sakurai refused to work on Brawl :lol

So, first time popping in this thread and I must say that I am sort of shocked.

I've been playing since day one and I am absolutely enamored with H4's MP. The guns feel great, the maps are solid, and the action just feels...right.

What is it exactly people are clamoring about, specifically? I mean, we've seen quite a large variety and changes in Halo's MP, even when it was just being made by one studio. Leaping from Halo 2 MP to 3 was a huge change. Hell, Reach to 3 was a bit of a culture shock as well.

Personally, I think that 4 has borrowed the right elements from Reach and 3 to create an outstanding MP experience. But, just my opinion.

IGN is running a Halo 4 Vs Blops2 thing.

"Best multiplayer maps since Halo 2"

Wow.

I personally enjoy Halo 4 more than Black Ops 2. I dont think that means anything in the long run because I am still finding the choice of some of the mechanics frustrating but meh.

I am actually shocked at how bad Blops2 turned out. With 343 they are a new studio and I expected a degree of change. With Blops 2 its like they forgot how to make good maps. How did we go from maps like Firing Range and Jungle to the maps in the new game lol. Did they hire and fire a lot of people in the last year or something? That applies across the board and not just to maps.

Haven is a huge hit with the competitive crowd.

Lets be honest, its only such a huge hit because its only only decently sized map in the entire game that has a layout that allows for that Arena gameplay. If they have 5 more maps designed in the same way as Haven the game would be better for it.

So, first time popping in this thread and I must say that I am sort of shocked.

I've been playing since day one and I am absolutely enamored with H4's MP. The guns feel great, the maps are solid, and the action just feels...right.

What is it exactly people are clamoring about, specifically? I mean, we've seen quite a large variety and changes in Halo's MP, even when it was just being made by one studio. Leaping from Halo 2 MP to 3 was a huge change. Hell, Reach to 3 was a bit of a culture shock as well.

Personally, I think that 4 has borrowed the right elements from Reach and 3 to create an outstanding MP experience. But, just my opinion.

Feel free to read the thread a little. Many of us have posted our dislikings.

Conor 419

Banned
I'm not worried about Halo until I see the state of Halo 5. If it

- Plays the copycat game again
- Has its paid online service outclassed by free services on other games
- Doesn't shake up the single player

Then I'll be worried.

certain affinity sucks so damn hard. how they continue to leach off Halo is beyond me. That is exactly the type of editor Halo 4 should have had. Instead we have grey blocks again. Awful.
As much animosity as I have for an essential rehash of the same old thing, I can't blame CA for anything other than the glitches that 4ge currently has, and they have expressed that they want to fix any glaring issues. It's an easy assumption that the word came from up on high to keep the status as quo as possible, since most of the official talk about it has centered around bringing in new people to the fold (which seems to be a running theme with Halo 4 overall).

Feel free to read the thread a little. Many of us have posted our dislikings.

I guess I should have clarified.

From the glancing, most discussion seems to be on balancing issues (ala boltshot). These aren't fundamentally flawed aspects of the game and can most assuredly be fixed over time.

But, if there really are much more substantive issues, i'll need to read deeper, I suppose.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Re: the comment from 343 on the reasons for sword stopping power's removal.

I don't get how the sword would be useless with stopping power, if you accept that its a close range weapon and not the way it's used in reach and 4. It has a lunge, it's a melee weapon. Just because reach didn't have a solution to the sprint-sword problem doesn't mean that should be the standard for its function now although I'm probably wasting my breath with that sentiment since unfortunately reach is the base template for the testers at 343. So yeah it probably would be useless if you used it like the average dumbshit in a game of slayer on Countdown.

Apologies for the immature rant.

Arnie

yeah you guys get mods. thx shogun.

just finished last episode of walking dead. I need a beer.

Makes me laugh the amount of sheer money, technology, and time that went into creating the relationship between Cortana and Chief, and then you compare it to an episodic game, and it all falls apart.

That's not a dig at Halo 4 specifically, but just at narrative based gaming in general. When people talk about this being an industry finding its feet, this is what they mean. We haven't realised how to make engaging, emotional, interactive narratives. Halo 4 certainly wasn't, The Walking Dead moves in the right direction in that regard.

Fracas

#fuckonami

From the glancing, most discussion seems to be on balancing issues (ala boltshot). These aren't fundamentally flawed aspects of the game and can most assuredly be fixed over time.

But, if there really are much more substantive issues, i'll need to read deeper, I suppose.

-Global Ordnance
-Lack of quality strafing
-Flinching when shot while scoped in
-Worst spawn system in the series

Main issues in the "core game" that I can think of at the moment.

dalVlatko

This and this

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
My biggest issue with the game is that I suck at it lol.

I'm only not having fun cause I get fucking slapped, not sure why. I'm no pro, but typically I'm pretty good compared to the average scrub in not just Halo, but any shooter out there.
Change your loadout.

ZalinKrow

Just matched against an SR42 who had a bunch of shit I don't think he should have had. He already had the Pathfinder helmet, the Stand Off stance (possible, but it's such a tough one to get I doubt he has it already), and he had a Rhino emblem too. He definitely shouldn't have had Pathfinder shit until after SR50. I don't even know when/how you get that emblem. He was a rubbish player too lol.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So weird. I just want some list of things changed RT @CyReN: Theater is allowing announcer voices in clips for Halo 4 now, stealth fix by 343 or magic?

Just matched against an SR42 who had a bunch of shit I don't think he should have had. He already had the Pathfinder helmet, the Stand Off stance (possible, but it's such a tough one to get I doubt he has it already), and he had a Rhino emblem too. He definitely shouldn't have had Pathfinder shit until after SR50. I don't even know when/how you get that emblem. He was a rubbish player too lol.

Andy?

Try a few pages back. There was like lists of problems, some of them not even regarding actual gameplay that would be an opinion. A lot of just straight up technical problems.

Game is a house of cards.

So weird. I just want some list of things changed RT @CyReN: Theater is allowing announcer voices in clips for Halo 4 now, stealth fix by 343 or magic?

Feels like weapon damage is different too, the sticky detonator feels weaker? Is that just me? Could they even change that without a patch lol?

You know it's okay to not like 1 entry in a franchise, but still like the franchise.

Metroid Other M is a steaming pile, but Metroid as a franchise is still top tier.

Brawl's online mode is the least of that game's problems. The entire fighting engine is so dumbed down, the characters are more unbalanced than ever and there are so many exploits and mind numbingly easy chaingrabs and infinites.

Brawl's saving grace is how hackable it is and that's hardly something you can give Sakurai credit for.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Feels like weapon damage is different too, the sticky detonator feels weaker? Is that just me? Could they even change that without a patch lol?

You know someone mentioned that the other day and it definitely made me think about the sticky det kills I didn't get that day. As far as changing things without a patch, it certainly seems like properties are downloaded from matchmaking servers. If that's the case and how they're tweaking things, I would be really impressed.

IHaveIce

Banned

Yep :/ I don't know who made the suggestion but 343 should put up a blog where all patchnotes are showed and maybe all playlist updates and everything.

They should give us some insight in the changes.

Top Bottom