• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Mt. Dew is one hell of a drug
U1g9y.jpg

neoism

neoism wtf is wrong with you

how do you enjoy reach
shugg...the later months when the game just got cast aside it did get a little old but the first year with it I just have soooooo much fun with it. Reach to me was to most "random" the series should have ever been...then halo 4 came out.

JB1981

Wow, Campaign is a lot more fun on Heroic. You can just do cavalier shit for fun and not die. Banshees are worthwhile getting into. Ammo-scrounging is a thing of the past.

I scrounge for ammo on Heroic all the time. Maybe I just play wrong but I am CONSTANTLY switching out weapons and the game rarely gives you DMR ammo for whatever reason

I scrounge for ammo on Heroic all the time. Maybe I just play wrong but I am CONSTANTLY switching out weapons and the game rarely gives you DMR ammo for whatever reason

I don't get this. People either need to explore the missions a little more or stop shooting the ground. Even on Legendary this game hands you ammo like it's going out of style.

Also, I'm pretty sure this guy is the fattest of us all: www.twitch.tv/hugedeuce

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Was playing campaign today and got the most horrible checkpoint. Playing Legendary on Composer, that bit where the Covvies come through the airlocks with the jackal sniper in the roof. Checkpointed me with a Needler with 2 rounds and a Plasma Pistol with 23%.

Basically had to enter the room with just my fists. Died about fifty times, but nailed it in the end. Good times.

i got check pointed in the dreaded banshee arena on stage 6 immediately after getting hit by a plasma pistol charge. thankfully, after stalling and falling to my death 5 or 6 times the game finally was generous enough to revert me to a previous checkpoint.

Zoolader

I don't get this. People either need to explore the missions a little more or stop shooting the ground. Even on Legendary this game hands you ammo like it's going out of style.

I'll have to disagree with that statement, exaggerating a bit much there. Also enemy weapons disappearing when another wave of enemies comes really sucks and was never an issue in any other Halo game.

I really wish someone would put together a simple guide to all of the unlocks and specializations. Every site you go to is just some morons attempt to be the first site with the same information that everyone already has since the game came out. I have no idea what color visors come with each specialization or how the specialization perks work. I guess the specialization perks are extra options to use for your armor abilities, tactical packages, and support packages. At first I was thinking that a specialization gave you the special abilities in addition to everything else, which is incorrect? Venator armor can be unlocked by getting the Assassination Master Commendation, but I think you can also level up to like SR-90ish to unlock it. Gaming sites only give you the Commendation unlock information and not the level unlock information. If I had known the difficulty levels that each pre-order bonus required to unlock, I might have gone with a different pre-order. For example, Oceanic and Hazop are easily unlocked before reaching SR-50. I'd complain about the fact that all the other Armor Sets are much harder to unlock, but I think the Arctic BR skin is not obtainable by any other means outside of pre-ordering. /confused

JB1981

Also, I'm pretty sure this guy is the fattest of us all: www.twitch.tv/hugedeuce

I don't shoot the ground at all. I constantly conserve ammo. I find, at least early on, that I have to switch out weapons constantly

Tawpgun

Lol, there's no way you found there to be an abundance of ammo on legendary. At least ammo for useful weapons.

In previous Halo's you could go back for ammo. This game despawns weapons crazy fast and locks doors behind you

I don't shoot the ground at all. I constantly conserve ammo. I find, at least early on, that I have to switch out weapons constantly
I struggled with ammo during a lot of my heroic play through. Some levels do have a lot of ammo lockers all over the place, but not all. There always seems to be that one bad checkpoint or stretch halfway through a level where you're facing off against multiple Knights and have next to no ammo left.

There are ammo drops and whatnot for either human, covenant, or promethean weapons for every encounter in the game. Simple strategy is simply use up the ammo for whatever weapons don't have those pods, then just use whatever weapons are available at that location for your "ammo" issue.

And swapping weapons (especially when they are of the same type, like precision rifle or something) doesn't constitute no ammo. Just because there isn't ammo for that particular weapon you want at the moment doesn't mean there isn't ammo. I've got a large bit of the legendary solo on my stream if you guys still don't agree.

Lol, there's no way you found there to be an abundance of ammo on legendary. At least ammo for useful weapons.
Nope. I must be totally lying out of my ass.

I never really had any problems with ammo on legendary.

I thought it was pretty easy to be honest

This guy must be too.

I dunno I dont remember ever running out of Ammo on Legendary, but then again I picked up a new weapon almost every encounter. I'm also only a bit more than halfway.

So many orange buttons left to press. So pumped.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

In previous Halo's you could go back for ammo. This game despawns weapons crazy fast and locks doors behind you
I really did not have ammo issues on Legendary especially the latter levels, they even have ammo boxes around.

Noricart

Never really ran out of ammo so much as I felt that I was wasting it fighting against the Knights, so I had to constantly stock up on more ammo.

Wow, Campaign is a lot more fun on Heroic. You can just do cavalier shit for fun and not die. Banshees are worthwhile getting into. Ammo-scrounging is a thing of the past.

For me campaign has always been more fun on Heroic, I find solo legendary imbalanced and a very repetitive experience. Said it before, I'll say it again, next generation hardware resources will improve the legendary experience with proper AI & enemies resources.

I'd even go as far as I'd like a mix of normal and heroic enemy shields and weapon damage but ramp up their numbers and tactics by a multiplier of 5. If you've ever gone back and played campaign on normal you get this Spartan badass feel by hammering through the game and basically ducking in and out of cover. Similar thing on Heroic but bullet sponges become apparent.

I just love that style of play in Halo but it needs the volume of enemies amped up and serious AI improvements in next gen so the challenge part is there. To me getting a balance more this way then skewing enemy weapons and bullet sponges will make campaign insanely great, gameplay wise.

dalVlatko

There is plenty of ammo in most situations, just not the kind you would want. The only time I felt like there was no ammo was the space part of the first level.

I kind of enjoyed looking for weapons and using the ones I wouldn't normally pick up.

Noricart

As we all know, things tend to change over the course of development. What was the original concept for Spartan Ops?

Greg: It originally was a Firefight-type mode, where it wasn’t always about killing all the enemies. Some missions would be get an item (like a bomb) to the bomb spot, kill the leader, capture the item, etc. But it was more arcadey and meant to be replayable. Each map would have the same four or five types of missions. When you played them, it would randomly pick four missions on four different maps, and your party would play through them. We got back to this concept, then onto just concentrating on the five missions a week, then making the missions story driven.
Old Spartan Ops sounded much more fun than final Spartan Ops tbh. :(

Zoolader

Listen to this guy. He (and my first post on the subject) knows what's up. Explore. Shit's not hard to find.

Shit isn't there like it's going out of style either as you said. Fact is Knights are like bullet sponges when you encounter them for the first time on Legendary. The key is having to pick up dropped weapons like the bolt shot and suppressor to take out the crawlers. Otherwise by the time you take out the Watchers there is hardly any long range precision ammo left for Knights. As I said in another post many people were probably surprised aswell how quickly dropped enemy weapons disappear, which I know I use to rely on in the past. Definitely not the hardest Halo campaign on Legendary, just thought your statements of plentiful ammo was callow.

blamite

Yeah, I definitely would've liked to see missions with things like bombs to plant, flags or cores or whatever to capture, maybe some Territories or Dominion objective stuff. That would make the mode even worse for solo play, but co-op would become much more interesting.

zomg everyone is so awesome at the campaign! I've had several incidents on both heroic and legendary of running out of USEFUL ammo. The suppressor and storm rifle do not qualify as weapons, and I didn't even realize you could charge the bolt shot my first time playing through the game. Might of helped a little bit. The suppressor has to be the worst weapon ever introduced into a halo game, worse than the halo 2 SMG by miles.
Welp I'm out lol.
kidding
dog_jumps_out_of_moving_car.gif

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Another spartan ops game where i had to quit because friendlies were splatting me and constantly blowing up my mantis.

Thanks, 343.

If I get time I'll add more of my own comments but you took the time to write this out so I thought you might appreciate a full reply mate. I'm not trying to change your opinions but merely provide my own in response for your digestion.

WARNING! 2,800+ WORD POST!

1. Mission/ level design.

CE & 2 were the best missions for me. Pillar of Autumn, Truth & Recon, Silent Cartographer, The Maw. Then Halo 2 was Cairo Station, Outskirts, Delta Halo & Regret. Halo 3 I liked The Ark but I never replayed 3 campaign like I did with 2 or CE. Reach I liked the squad aspect but again next generation should really ramp up the battles with AI, d-pad simple squad commands and sheers AI numbers/tactics. Far more memorable campaigns and in respect to Halo 4 the foundation is solid which will expand 10 fold with a new console. I too could have gone for a keep all the models, AI, textures and everything basically the same but bang out and insane amount of content. The only issue is we would have gotten "more" now but the 343i studio would be at a loss for Halo 5 and their next engine. If you look at what they "learnt and experienced" with the Halo 4 campaign/SPOPS we're in for a real treat come Halo 5 next gen. I think the campaign was insanely good for the old 360 and pretty much everything you talk about shows that or why there were shortfalls as mentioned. However, the developers could relax about invisible walls and just let us explore, Halo 2 never cared and I attacked those levels from varied explored spots. Simple things like rockets on Delta Halo or the marine off in the fog. To be fair though Halo 4 has plenty of UNSC rifles scattered around in similar places but more in a closed box than an open world. It adds to replayability. I still have to add comments about the Halo 4 missions here...

2. Campaign Exploration.

343i developers even talked about the skyboxes taking a hit, it's to be expected for such limited hardware. I did enjoy the wide expanse of Bungie's Halo games but even Halo 3 had these sorts of effects a bit then Reach did very similar to Halo 4 in that graphics amped up and exploration was notched down. Again next generation will hopefully provide more dynamic encounters and play spaces with less limitations and cheap boxing in tricks developers are forced to do on the 360, this is apparent with Halo 4. You can't really blame them for making the best or at least top 3-5 looking game for their finale on the 360. I've enjoyed the newer engine and it's limitations are understood. After all the graphics are finally top notch for Halo, you have to admit all of Bungie's games had never been the #1 for graphics and Halo 4 arguably finally hit that milestone for the franchise.

3. Repetitive Campaign objectives and lack of replayability.

Too right mate, far too many buttons & Cortana deployments. Mix it up, you know like Heretic assassination, Truth killing, Regret boss etc. They break up the buttons or just go there monotony. I know this will be unpopular but I've never been a huge fan of on the rails warthog runs. One mission out of the whole campaign is fine but having 3 or 4 like that just is too much in my opinion. I do like vehicles but not the mission runs as a whole mission or even half of a large mission. I prefer to be a foot soldier, just has more Halo feel, maybe a Warthog occasionally but not all vehicles all the time...too much.

4. The Promethean’s design.

I think Elites have just become so recognisable that the same thing will happen after 2-4 games with Prometheans too. They're just new and you have to learn the nuances to spot the differences from a distance again. They could do with some improved colour changes overall like the Elites had though, agree with a larger difference in colour appearance. As for shields I see them pop on Knights so disagree there. I do find Prometheans a little stale to fight but I think again this is just a lack of resources for newer AI techniques. For how much they put on screen I'm pretty happy with the AI really, although I've found Spartan Ops solo to provide improved AI over the campaign?

5. Lack of Feedback from Prometheans.

The watchers do fly off after two shots or so put into them and they position themselves adjacent to your line of sight so their circle wings and profile are a lot thinner, they also try to move to cover from your line of sight too. Sure it's not a hassle to fight them but if they were too hard it would create an endless resurrecting cycle, not fun. Crawlers are cannon fodder, it's not like grunts have ever had the best tactics either. I do miss the Elites death screams, that should be added to Knights. I disagree with the hit feedback, I always know from any distance when I'm taking down knight shields or if I'm going for the headshot kill, disagree. I do agree most enemies in Halo 4 sort of do a strafe dash or teleporting and not too much movements around cover etc. They do back off a bit when their shields drop but by then it's just too easy to pick them off before they get their shields back. I have found much of the same mechanics of take out a leader and the lesser enemies flee still present.

6. How 343 killed the mystery of Halo 4.
To me a lot of this has to do with self control and wanting more. Basically if you didn't read the books and stayed away from Halo websites, articles and all that imagine going through the campaign story and replaying for all the terminals and story extras tucked away. You'd have your mystery back easily and then some, remember when you played CE and Halo 2 very little of the universe was available and it was all new. It's hard to recreate that with the same universe but overall I think 343i did a great job by making a new enemy class, world, machines, weapons, ships and artwork etc. To me when I play campaign I find myself looking around or walking to discover things like I did with CE or Halo 2. It's really a personal choice about how much you want to know before you play the game. 343i really tried to create that mystery and I think they succeeded personally, it's just never going to feel 100% new like it did with CE ever again.

7. 343’s failure to present the story well.

The campaign story on its own without any terminals or extras is a little splintered and a couple of things are not explained in full but I expect that is for new players. After all in CE how fully did you understand what, why, when, how and who with the Halo and then the array and then the ark and the Covenant etc? They give you pieces so you discover more as you go and more games/books etc come out. It's like a mystery carrot that keeps you delving deeper.

For veteran or Halo-lore familiar players I think they stacked Halo 4 with content, we've been spoilt really if you look at the Vignettes, FUD, books, comics, campaign, SPOPS, terminals & hidden extras. To me this has been executed far better than any Halo to date. It's all wrapped together for 85-90% and it's all accessible from one to another. Bungie was always a wall between games and books with some comics on the side with their own separate stories really. I was always pissed the books never tied into the games. Now we have that and we complain? That's not right mate. 343i done good here!

I hated the Didact QTE (also hated Guilty Spark lack of a boss battle), I like boss battles as they give you things to do before you get the story part and feel like actual progression in the game. I enjoyed Tartarus, Heretic, Regret, Scarabs and would have welcomed such a boss event again the Didact moreover than QTE.

I disagree that humans are nothing without the Librarian. We challenged the Flood and encroached on Forerunners territory before the Librarian started meddling with us for her/mantle purposes. She recognised our potential and moved on it from there.

I agree with Master Chief not getting the "wow factor" from other characters but they are Spartan and everything is understated with them, hence the quip by Palmer. I would have liked another layer to the Chief being received as there are plenty of civilians and non-Spartans on Infinity so it would be great to have that reverance shown with them. Regarding Del Rio they have it explained in the subtext with that captain for the most part a peace based one. Of course Del Rio is going to avoid conflict and this infers that Chief and Del Rio will be a loggerheads. I thought this fit in nicely but were not used to resistant against the Chief so it feels out of place. You have to admit seeing John disobey orders to keep Cortana (even when going rampant) was fucking awesome.

Shit isn't there like it's going out of style either as you said. Fact is Knights are like bullet sponges when you encounter them for the first time on Legendary. The key is having to pick up dropped weapons like the bolt shot and suppressor to take out the crawlers. Otherwise by the time you take out the Watchers there is hardly any long range precision ammo left for Knights. As I said in another post many people were probably surprised aswell how quickly dropped enemy weapons disappear, which I know I use to rely on in the past. Definitely not the hardest Halo campaign on Legendary, just thought your statements of plentiful ammo was callow.
I hate to be that guy, but I could probably do a level by level breakdown about how much ammo is available. Seriously, just take a look around and you'll see that almost every encounter in the game has ammo caches lying around for you to pick through. Carbines, Light Rifles, even BRs. Weapons in ammo caches don't despawn either. DMR ammo is scarce until you get to Mission 6, but even Mission 4 has a fair amount of DMRs lying around with accompanying Railguns.

There are some moments where you may not have your preferred weapon set, like when you first meet the Prometheans, but you can't honestly expect to always have plentiful ammo for the best weapon for every situation, can you? Some of the challenge comes from making do, and you'll even see that some weapons you thought were worthless have their uses. The Boltshot + Supressor combo that you have to make do with until you get a Light Rifle is adequate. Boltshot can headshot the Crawlers, lure the Knight close using the Hardlight Shield to avoid taking damage, charge-up the Boltshot and blast the Knight, then rip it to shreds with the Supressor. I'm not going to assume anything, but I feel like too many of you guys are too used to noob comboing everything you see. You gotta think outside the box sometimes!

I'm sure we'll be seeing these coming into play with SPOPS this season mate. Of course they'll change it up.

I'm wondering if we'll see Cortana be found or brought back in SPOPS? After all Halsey is in there and the story is a continuation of the campaign. It would be very interesting and give a real weight to SPOPS while moving things forward for Halo 5. There could even be a Chief appearance during SPOPS to lend itself to this scenario.

Again I see huge potential for SPOPS and with these sorts of elements who wouldn't pay for season 2?

you can't honestly expect to always have plentiful ammo for the best weapon for every situation, can you?

It keeps game variety, tactics as you say and also story wise you wouldn't expect much UNSC based ammo on Requiem now would you?

I thought the Infinity drops now and again were fairly well done and not too often either.

People who already paid for the maps the episodes take place on.

But not new mission content or CGI scenes or new maps or unseen new features that season 2 could introduce. Sure I could agree with keeping season 2 free but overall at some point I believe that level of content/CGI has to be paid for.

It would be interesting to see a new technique of mixing our real time game Spartans into the CGI scenes with clever layering and pre-planning.
I know I'm dreaming :)

There is plenty of ammo in most situations, just not the kind you would want. The only time I felt like there was no ammo was the space part of the first level.

I kind of enjoyed looking for weapons and using the ones I wouldn't normally pick up.
That space section has BRs, ARs, and carbine caches dude. Plus snipers from the jackals of you like. Or PPs and needlers which are crazy useful.

Whatever man. I'll stand by my position. There's plenty of precision ammo. Take out watchers first, then crawlers/knights, blah, blah...

Like I said, I'm not talking out of my ass. I streamed my entire legendary solo playthrough. Half the time my promethean sections were LR and suppressor.

Not gonna argue this point anymore, see below.

I hate to be that guy, but I could probably do a level by level breakdown about how much ammo is available. Seriously, just take a look around and you'll see that almost every encounter in the game has ammo caches lying around for you to pick through. Carbines, Light Rifles, even BRs. Weapons in ammo caches don't despawn either. DMR ammo is scarce until you get to Mission 6, but even Mission 4 has a fair amount of DMRs lying around with accompanying Railguns.

There are some moments where you may not have your preferred weapon set, like when you first meet the Prometheans, but you can't honestly expect to always have plentiful ammo for the best weapon for every situation, can you? Some of the challenge comes from making do, and you'll even see that some weapons you thought were worthless have their uses. The Boltshot + Supressor combo that you have to make do with until you get a Light Rifle is adequate. Boltshot can headshot the Crawlers, lure the Knight close using the Hardlight Shield to avoid taking damage, charge-up the Boltshot and blast the Knight, then rip it to shreds with the Supressor. I'm not going to assume anything, but I feel like too many of you guys are too used to noob comboing everything you see. You gotta think outside the box sometimes!

DeadNames

Banned
Fuck abandon. Fuck complex. Fuck the DMR. Fuck the light rifle. Fuck PV. fuck camo. Fuck Jetpack.

Tempted to say fuck this game.

where are the classic playlists?!

Did anyone else notice that when you hit the button in Valhalla's beam tower this episode, (musical/character-related spoilers)
Nemesis, or rather the Didact's theme started playing? It was just the cymbal/gong and the heartbeat percussion but Nemesis nonetheless.
Maybe those communications protocols had something to do with them?

Top Bottom