• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Oh, btw I have a big issue with Spartan Ops.. death means nothing. There is no risk, you just die and keep going..limited lives or checkpoints plus scoring would really help things out. It just feels so shallow now because of it and Im not enjoying it nearly as much as I should. It needs more oomph, more weight..something. As of now it is nearly as fun as SP sections or FF.

It's that they think their vision is so superior that players don't deserve to have the option to play anything different. It's unbelievably arrogant
in order to push "their vision", even if their vision happens to be different from our vision of what Halo ought to be.

I honestly, cannot believe what you both just said. It's their game, they spent the last 4 years building it and pouring their blood, sweat, and tears into it... and you're complaining that it doesn't match "your vision". "Unbelievably arrogant"? Wow, just wow.

Maybe the people having a good time need to post more to balance out those about to throw themselves from cliffs.

Ok. I love this game so far. All this negativity is really surprising me. I can't believe so many people compare every game in the industry to CoD these days, and Halo I mean come on. Just because a game adds sprinting (which greatly balanced it compared to reach where some could sprint and others couldn't) and armor abilities (came from Shadowrun because of Sage the asshole) and some gunplay modifiers does not mean it is CoD. There is no discussion or people getting together to play or anything here anymore. It's just complaining, and it's getting hard to hear. I understand the internet can be a place to voice your complaints, but I'd expect chat like this from r/halo or something, not the most seemingly dedicated Halo fans on the internet.

Anyway, so I really enjoy this game. Infinity Slayer is nuts, though I feel like ordinance should come every 100 points or something, I get way to many power weapons. :D Slayer Pro is great, it's what I wanted in this game. The gunplay is incredible and the best in the Halo series I feel like. Had a great time playing KOTH with MGTrey last night, and CTF and Oddball are right up there in fun factor. So many things have been improved upon and I really love some of the changes (ie flinch).

Once this game gets some better playlist variety, a bug update, and some other things cleaned up, it could be my favorite Halo in the series. Halo 2 and Halo 3 are only good because of the nostalgia I remember, but if I went back and played them today, I might just find Halo 4's gameplay better.

My advice to the ragers out there: If you want to have fun in Halo 4, quit caring so much about your K/D. Everyone I play with after every game has to check their K/D and "omg I did so bad"... so... did you have fun? It's just a game. It's designed for entertainment, play it and have a good time. If not, then okay get mad at the game (and not yourself for getting outplayed) and go play something else. You will not be missed.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Hope we can get a blocked off rooftop verison of Complex into matchmaking universally, it is broken in the same way as Zealot.

It looks like a bit of both. The humans are running into Forerunner territory and it seems as if they came across recently Flood infected Forerunner planets. Because the Humans knew that it was a matter of time before the Flood spread, they didn't take the time to warn the Forerunner and proceeded to destroy infected planets much like they did their own.

The Forerunner didn't know because they were caught up in the fact that the humans were expanding into their territory and just assumed that any destroyed planets were the result of human aggression. It seems to be that after humans destroyed these planets, there was very little evidence of the Flood. In Cyptum/ Primordium it was stated that there had been rumours of the humans fighting another enemy, but never confirmed

I see all of this as very poor reasoning.

What do you mean "didn't take the time"? They were in a middle of a war! It's not like it took much effort to contact one another, and the span of time is simply too large for "we didn't have any time." Should we assume this was the case, there were likely dozens of Forerunner planets that succumbed to the Flood during the war. You don't think after all of that there wouldn't have been one Forerunner that would've made it out and said, "Hey, guys! There's this huge extragalatic parasite that's gonna kills us all!" IIRC, Cryptum was very clear on one thing: On one side, humanity was waging a war with the Forerunners, and on the other, they were fighting the Flood. That gave the impression that the two were very distinct and did not mix.

As for your second point, for a civilization as advanced as the Forerunners, you think would do better than to just "assume" that their colony worlds were destroyed by humans, right?

I love the Halo fiction, but if it's going to be this hard to follow I don't think I'll be able to follow it for the simple fact that I can't follow it.
  • Flinch - Can we please get the descoping mechanic back? The flinching mechanic is annoying enough in CoD where everyone dies in one hit, it's incredibly obnoxious in Halo where it takes 5 shots to do so. Long range battles become very tedious because of it.
  • Big Team Battle - Because of the flinch mechanic BTB isn't everything but enjoyable. The fact that it turns into who can shoot each other the fastest while sitting behind a rock half a kilometer away doesn't help much either. Valhalla is especially atrocious, it's nothing but long range battles. And good luck using vehicles because they'll get EMPed, stuck and shot to shreds with precision weapons in no time.
I'm noticing the flinch mechanic more and more. As it's my single most hated mechanic in FPS, and the one that has kept me from playing scores of other shooters, it's disappointing and frustrating that Halo 4 added it in.

I spent a long time with Reach trying very hard to like the game, because it was Halo. I don't think I'm going to give Halo 4 as long of a shot.
Wanted to elaborate on the flinching. Here's what I said about it when I first played it:
That all being said, despite the variety of options I felt like I was forced to pick Stability. It’s the perk that stops you from flinching when you’re shot while zoomed in. When I first heard about the flinching, I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to like it. And I don’t. At all. I played one game without Stability, and I was having a frustrating experience. I am not a fan of mechanics that make it harder for the player to play the game. Make the game harder, don’t make it harder for the player to play. Halo does not (until now) – and should not – employ mechanics like this. I think 343 would be wise to get rid of the flinching in Halo 5 and stay away from such decisions in the future. In a game all about its sandbox, this detracts from it because it interferes with your ability to fully use the options you have.
To add to all of that – flinching isn't predictable. There's no way to tell what way it's going to jerk and by how much, and I feel like that just makes for a more frustrating experience. I think de-scoping is better because you know how to counteract it. It just knocks you out of zoom; it doesn't move your cursor. It's predictable.

As for moving on: I'm playing Halo 4 right now, but I can completely see myself not playing it in a couple of months. Tuesday morning I said after a four-hour play session that I wasn't sure if Halo 4 felt like Halo, and the more I play it the more I feel like this isn't Halo. The base gameplay is there – and it's good! – but it's surrounded by design choices that I don't think mesh well, like flinching, with Halo's core design.

Edit: Oh wow, did not mean to add to the chorus of negativity here. I should refresh the page next time.

sp3000

I honestly, cannot believe what you both just said. It's their game, they spent the last 4 years building it and pouring their blood, sweat, and tears into it... and you're complaining that it doesn't match "your vision". "Unbelievably arrogant"? Wow, just wow.

Nice reading comprehension. My post was referring to the lack of options. Where did I say anything about matching "my vision." Your attempt to set up a strawman is ridiculous.

And the "it took x number of years to make" argument is so tired. Every developer pours their lives into making games and still faces criticism, but I guess 343 is exempt from that.

wall of garbage

First you claim that people should not be comparing the game to COD, when almost every single design choice in multiplayer is influenced by that game.

Then you go on to dismiss all the complaints by saying that people who are complaining about the game are just mad because their K/D ratios are low.

A sublime combination of arrogance and ignorance. Fine post junior. I'm sure you'll last long on this forum.

Oh, btw I have a big issue with Spartan Ops.. death means nothing. There is no risk, you just die and keep going..limited lives or checkpoints plus scoring would really help things out. It just feels so shallow now because of it and Im not enjoying it nearly as much as I should. It needs more oomph, more weight..something. As of now it is nearly as fun as SP sections or FF.

right. i don't understand this at all.

BigShow36

This game gets me really excited for Blops2. There thats positive!

Hate to agree, but...

-Consistent gameplay
-Classic Playlists
-Ranking system
-Competitive League sytem
-Player investment system that is 10x better than Halo 4's

Classic Halo gameplay with fast base movement and good strafe and predictable weapons trumps CoD all day, every day, but if Halo 4 wants to be CoD lite, I'm going to play that actual CoD.

Time to adapt.

How do you adapt to randomness?

What do you mean "didn't take the time"? They were in a middle of a war! It's not like it took much effort to contact one another, and the span of time is simply too large for "we didn't have any time." Should we assume this was the case, there were likely dozens of Forerunner planets that succumbed to the Flood during the war. You don't think after all of that there wouldn't have been one Forerunner that would've made it out and said, "Hey, guys! There's this huge extragalatic parasite that's gonna kills us all."

I thought exactly the same thing upon watching the terminals. This might be the most poorly thought out part of Halo lore to date.

My advice to the ragers out there: If you want to have fun in Halo 4, quit caring so much about your K/D. Everyone I play with after every game has to check their K/D and "omg I did so bad"... so... did you have fun? It's just a game. It's designed for entertainment, play it and have a good time. If not, then okay get mad at the game (and not yourself for getting outplayed) and go play something else. You will not be missed.

It's not just about k/d. You haven't been bothering to read the criticisms that get broken down if you think this. Shake's for instance was right on the money.

Sides I'm not denying it's fun and that I do well but the more random it gets the less fun I have. That's how it works for me.

Prologue

I'm having a good time with Halo 4. Comparable to Halo 2 in regards to fun. I have my issues of course, but the fun outweighs them for the most part. It sucks that some people here aren't happy though :(.

When is GAF going to start doing some battles? Or has that already started yet?

BigShow36

What randomness?

Bloom, Ordnance, Spawning

Regardless, "adapt" is the stupidest argument in all of Halo history. Its not that players can't adapt, it's that they either have and don't like the game, or that there is no "adaptation" because the gameplay is dumbed down.

Funny story from yesterday were playing Valhalla CTF, we have control of top mid one of our guys has control of their base I say " Hey pickup the flag and get it to middle" He says back "I don't wanna grab flag I got incineration cannon"

I think it might have been ViewtifulJC? Not sure.

Burst out laughing in sadness.

No, actually, it's our game just as much as it is theirs. We bought it. We're the ones online using it. We're the customers. We're the ones it's supposed to be tailored towards. And yeah, we want to be able to make it match "our vision" in custom gametypes we specifically make for ourselves.

Let me get this straight. You have the gall to tell me I'm the arrogant one around here, and then you presume to know what I care about as I play and judge me on it. GFYS

Funny story from yesterday were playing Valhalla CTF, we have control of top mid one of our guys has control of their base I say " Hey pickup the flag and get it to middle" He says back "I don't wanna grab flag I got incineration cannon"

I think it might have been ViewtifulJC? Not sure.

Burst out laughing in sadness.

Yeah, that was me. I then said "fuck it", grabbed the flag, then proceeded to get killed by someone I could have easily killed in prior Halo games by dropping the flag and popping a rocket at his feet.

Halo 4, man, :lol

Karl2177

Halo 4 is like a cake. At its core it is a delicious chocolate cake, but it is coated in a stale frosting of Reach and Call of Duty.

This is better:
Halo 4 is like a cake. At its core it is a delicious chocolate cake, but it is coated in a stale frosting of Mountain Dew and Doritos.

No, actually, it's our game just as much as it is theirs. We bought it. We're the ones online using it. We're the customers. We're the ones it's supposed to be tailored towards. And yeah, we want to be able to make it match "our vision" in custom gametypes we specifically make for ourselves.

Let me get this straight. You have the gall to tell me I'm the arrogant one around here, and then you presume to know what I care about as I play and judge me on it. GFYS

full ack

Including LESS options for custom games than previous Halo games is ridiculous.

Halo 4 is acually less than its predecessors in so many categories: less enemy types, less vehicles, less game modes (RIP firefight and assault), less options. :(

Omni

What do you mean "didn't take the time"? They were in a middle of a war! It's not like it took much effort to contact one another, and the span of time is simply too large for "we didn't have any time." Should we assume this was the case, there were likely dozens of Forerunner planets that succumbed to the Flood during the war. You don't think after all of that there wouldn't have been one Forerunner that would've made it out and said, "Hey, guys! There's this huge extragalatic parasite that's gonna kills us all!" IIRC, Cryptum was very clear on one thing: On one side, humanity was waging a war with the Forerunners, and on the other, they were fighting the Flood. That gave the impression that the two were very distinct and did not mix.
Yeah, I didn't say it was good haha.
Maybe the rivalry between the two races was so high that the humans simply decided that it would be beneficial to themselves not to tell the Forerunner?

Second part is eh. It's hard to say without more information... For all we know the planet was overrun very quickly and the survivors had no way to contact the council or whatever the Forerunner had. Could make an entire series just trying to explain some of these events

As for your second point, for a civilization as advanced as the Forerunners, you think would do better than to just "assume" that their colony worlds were destroyed by humans, right?
Well they were destroyed by the humans... after they had been overrun by the Flood. It's not too much of a stretch to think that from a Forerunner point of view the humans were just destroying their worlds for the sake of it (assuming the ancient humans did their jobs and left no trace of the parasite)

Regardless, we're only really being introduced to these new things. Hopefully they're expanded upon later on.

Things that are Dumb As Fuck™ in Halo 4 Multiplayer Infinity:
It's like you read my mind, before I even thought of it. I agree with pretty much every single point there (a few exceptions of course.. namely Spartan Ops)

I pretty much have every Achievement I can get for now in this game. It just isn't doing something right for me. Campaign lacks replayability, and it doesn't help that 343 killed the mystery of Halo 4 for fans that are into the books by making the Forerunner Saga story arch such an integral part of the main narrative. Multiplayer, while I am dongin hard, is just...boring. sigh, I wanted to love this game so much. I hate the way I feel about this game, because I do not want to feel this way.

For now, the game shall sleep in it's case. Back to Red Dead Redemption. I know we always joke with the RIP Halo slogan, but in all honesty, RIP Halo isn't too far off for me :_(

I'm surprised you find the MP boring... while I found the SP to be boring I have found the MP to be a blast. I found Halo 3 MP boring after Halo 2, so I guess I can empathize, but this games MP really has a lot going for it IMO.

right. i don't understand this at all.
Really? As it stands there is no risk or tension. Dying doesn't bring you to the beginning of the encounter, it just spawns you in, with full ammo to boot. You can't run out of lives either. There is no risk of not winning, you can kill, die, repeat until you're finished. That just isn't rewarding or fun to me. I can't be the only one who thinks this.

Also, it needs less button pushing. Or at least mask the button as a bomb and make the bomb change the battlefield or something.

Is it just me, or does the Mantis have too much health. What's the easiest way to take one down other than spamming it with DMR?

Its pretty slow.. as long as your team isn't being full out dominated it is really easy to take wout with DMR's, grenades, etc.

Mayyhem

What does everyone here actually like about Halo 4?

Stripping through all the layers of turd, you'll find some solid base game-play. I enjoy its fluidity, gun-play is rather nice as well.

lol never thought it would be this hard to list what I like about any particular halo title

[*]Killcams sitrecs - It's a feature that doesn't even work properly and was probably put into the game about a week before launch. I'm used to CoD killcams not being entirely accurate but the ones in Halo 4 simply don't work half the time. If you end up fixing them, make sure to add a final killcam to every gametype.

They were actually in the leaked barnyard buddy footage lol

Didn't Frankie promise us classic playlists?

I frikkin knew I was right when I said I faintly remembered 343 backing out on that original promise. Something Frankie said a long time ago didn't sit well with me and by the looks of it I was right, I'm sure we won't see those classic playlists for quite a while.. probably not until the new maps come out next month or when Forge maps are added.

Trey

Yep. And when I was playing with Daravon and his buddies yesterday, there was a chorus of "Well, if Halo is CoD-lite now instead of its own thing, we might as well just play CoD." I fear for the population after next week.

It's CoD-lite in all the ways the don't matter. If you're playing CoD next week, it's because you were going to anyways. I don't fear for the population any more than I would if Halo 4 didn't have any of this extra stuff. It will always pull playable numbers and that's all that matters to me, personally.

As with regards to the prevailing opinion on Infinity Slayer, the only changes that need to be made are to those that inherently break the game. Glitches and matchmaking issues, of which there are a noticeable amount. Otherwise, the game is fundamentally different than what you want from Halo. Simple as. There is something to be said for bringing back classic settings and improving custom options, but otherwise, deal. Or don't.

Everyone's solution is "renege all the changes. It's fun but it ain't Halo." Nah. Don't do that. A lot of (new) people like the changes, as evidenced by the Halo 4 |OT| sounding overwhelmingly more positive than the community one. Whether 343 makes steps to placate the long standing fanbase or not will be an interesting situation.

This I agree with. How were any of you able to play Reach for as long and as consistent as you guys did and can't put up with this. this is more fun and more enjoyable than Reach.

I cant go into Halo 4 and get the same kind of gameplay I enjoyed in older Halo games. I couldn't in Reach either, but its more apparent with Halo 4 that it might as well be a different I.P.

Its a damn good game for what it is, but BTB/ Slayer/ Objective have such a different feel to them that I really don't feel like im even playing a Halo game. Reach still felt like a Halo game but AA's and Bloom made it a very unfun Halo game.

I guess thats just nitpicky because Reach is terrible and Halo 4 can be pretty damn good - but I really think my frustrations come from the fact that I cant relive what I enjoyed about Halo.

Sissel

Do you think they'll ever release a "Halo 2 HD"? (no I don't want Halo 2 PC)

I think it's ridiculous that such a big piece of gaming history isn't playable on Xbox/Xbox 360 anymore. I'd love to see it released next gen on XBLA on the 720 for $15 or something. I hate direction Bungie (and now 343) have taken this series. I prefer the simpler, more "straight up" gameplay of Halo 2 to Halo 4's clusterfuck of random weapon drops, giant maps due to increased player speeds, etc.

FyreWulff

Do you think they'll ever release a "Halo 2 HD"? (no I don't want Halo 2 PC)

I think it's ridiculous that such a big piece of gaming history isn't playable on Xbox/Xbox 360 anymore. I'd love to see it released next gen on XBLA on the 720 for $15 or something. I hate direction Bungie (and now 343) have taken this series. I prefer the simpler, more "straight up" gameplay of Halo 2 to Halo 4's clusterfuck of random weapon drops, giant maps due to increased player speeds, etc.

Probably.. campaign only though

Voting.
Physics.
Base speed.
Basic weapons feel more deadly.
Strafing.
Maps complete with things to crouch/hide/play ring around the rosy behind.

What I don't like are the things that basically contradict the philosophies I just mentioned above. With things like PV, dash always up (and with things like sword), instant spawning and even more AA related shenanigans, the baseplay seems almost futile.

The latest design philosophies in Halo games surrounding rewards and team play lately have been in constant conflict. They want a team oriented game but instead of giving you rank or reward based on wins it becomes more about individual play. It seems counterproductive and now it's all about vanity and unlocking perks for yourself.

To me it's one or the other.

the story is good and how the mp is now canon is pretty neat. voting system with locked votes is perfect.

gameplay-wise, the foundations are rock solid and they solved the nade spam problem

thanks to the solid foundations, a patch could easily solve at least 2/3rds of the problems in mp.

maps are excellent too.

Top Bottom