• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

FyreWulff

Sad but true.

The deal with bringing back Halo 2 multi is the ultra diehards will want it back with the glitches included. This isn't really viable in a modern online FPS so 343 will have to fix the glitches. Then you'll just be seeing a lot of "it's bastardized Halo 2".

Then they'd have to update every single multiplayer map to modern standards. Certain Affinity has to make CoD maps too so they won't have the time to remake 12+ Bungie maps again for the third time.

Then it'd split the userbase anyway. As we saw with the Reach Anniversary disc.

Better off just making H2A then remaking a couple of the maps for whatever the current Halo is

Direct port of Halo 2 with all 4 map packs + the 2 new Vista maps on XBLA for $15. You wouldn't be able to find anything better on the 360.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well at least none of the negativity here is even close to being as bad as the Reach release and post-release bitching about Armor Lock, or the perpetual AR/BR/DMR nonsense that people didn't want to let go.

I for one am still having lots of fun with the game despite all it's issues. Currently taking a break because of the fucking wallhackers who are swarming the KotH playlist and voting Complex every time. Bastards.

senador

Banned
I sort of hope that people move away from Halo 4 very quickly and the sales of map packs and future spartan ops seasons will be poor. Maybe 343 will reconsider for Halo 5 then.

It's just so disappointing how they were/are deaf to all feedback and even refused to make a beta. Most of this could have been avoided.

This is a statement a jackass would make. Just move on if you are that unhappy.

harmonize

Also, I really don't see how some of you think it's "easy to shoot", at least compared to Reach and 3. Just from what I've played, I've killed more near full health guys by strafing at low health than I ever did in either of those games.

Pop

What does everyone here actually like about Halo 4?

This is the wrong place to be asking that question.

I pretty much have every Achievement I can get for now in this game. It just isn't doing something right for me. Campaign lacks replayability, and it doesn't help that 343 killed the mystery of Halo 4 for fans that are into the books by making the Forerunner Saga story arch such an integral part of the main narrative. Multiplayer, while I am dongin hard, is just...boring. sigh, I wanted to love this game so much. I hate the way I feel about this game, because I do not want to feel this way.

For now, the game shall sleep in it's case. Back to Red Dead Redemption. I know we always joke with the RIP Halo slogan, but in all honesty, RIP Halo isn't too far off for me :_(

haha this is ridiculous

If you want simple classic halo go make it in customs and play until your fingers bleed. Srs, you guys here are making it sound like Reach is superior to H4. Cause in fact you guys continued to play that crap well after knowing it blew hard. But just little over 6 days and your all giving up H4. I don't even...

This is the wrong place to be asking that question.

haha this is ridiculous

If you want simple classic halo go make it in customs and play until your fingers bleed. Srs, you guys here are making it sound like Reach is superior to H4. Cause in fact you guys continued to play that crap well after knowing it blew hard. But just little over 6 days and your all giving up H4. I don't even...
You can just leave the thread if you don't actually want to discuss anything.

it's a pretty fun game if you play slayer pro. in terms of the pro playlist the only thing that needs to be fixed are the spawns imo. And some new maps

Sissel

The deal with bringing back Halo 2 multi is the ultra diehards will want it back with the glitches included. This isn't really viable in a modern online FPS so 343 will have to fix the glitches. Then you'll just be seeing a lot of "it's bastardized Halo 2".

Then they'd have to update every single multiplayer map to modern standards. Certain Affinity has to make CoD maps too so they won't have the time to remake 12+ Bungie maps again for the third time.

Better off just making H2A then remaking a couple of the maps for whatever the current Halo is
they don't have to change anything. Marvel vs Capcom 2 came out on XBLA, people bought that, even with all its BS. Halo 2 fans want Halo 2, not some DLC maps for Halo 4.

This is a statement a jackass would make. Just move on if you are that unhappy.

I'm not _that_ unhappy, I just hope 343 learns some kind of lesson, and that would necessitate people moving away quickly.

Honestly, I'm mostly bitter because of the wasted potential, not because the game is actually terrible. It's just that with around 10 to 15 small design changes, the game would easily be three times as good as it is right now.

Also, I really don't see how some of you think it's "easy to shoot", at least compared to Reach and 3. Just from what I've played, I've killed more near full health guys by strafing at low health than I ever did in either of those games.

Sniper has way too much aim assist. I've been sweep-sniped like it's Halo 2 again.

I cant go into Halo 4 and get the same kind of gameplay I enjoyed in older Halo games. I couldn't in Reach either, but its more apparent with Halo 4 that it might as well be a different I.P.

Its a damn good game for what it is, but BTB/ Slayer/ Objective have such a different feel to them that I really don't feel like im even playing a Halo game. Reach still felt like a Halo game but AA's and Bloom made it a very unfun Halo game.

I guess thats just nitpicky because Reach is terrible and Halo 4 can be pretty damn good - but I really think my frustrations come from the fact that I cant relive what I enjoyed about Halo.

Personally I think IS isn't that bad. Yeah I don't like the randomness with some weapons but it happens less here. BTB is just heavies lol. I don't know what 343 was thinking. Slayer pro is fun, but clearly unless there is teamwork it is easy pickings.

What does everyone here actually like about Halo 4?

Core gameplay is great. Movement, shooting, grenades aren't OP'd. I hate the fact power weapons are random, map control is gone, instant respawns suck, and PV does nothing but create campers. My problem is these were all issues people brought up from the first time we heard anything about Halo 4. 343 said "trust us," and none of those things turned out good. If they patch them great, but I'm afraid 343 will be stubborn about it and leave most of those things in since they were design choices not unintended glitches.

harmonize

I wish people would remember how god-awful Halo 2 was at launch; it was near unplayable before those first patches rolled out.

Then again, I think 343 might be content with how much of the game turned out, something that I don't think was the case with Bungie in their situation.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
they don't have to change anything. Marvel vs Capcom 2 came out on XBLA, people bought that, even with all its BS. Halo 2 fans want Halo 2, not some DLC maps for Halo 4.

Did MvC2 have rampant cheating and game breaking glitches? I used to have to listen to my Xbox in the Halo 2 days to make sure the game was loading a map on disc (couldn't be modded at the time) rather than a DLC map. lol the shit I used to put up with.

Did MvC2 have rampant cheating and game breaking glitches? I used to have to listen to my Xbox in the Halo 2 days to make sure the game was loading a map on disc (couldn't be modded at the time) rather than a DLC map. lol the shit I used to put up with.
It's a fighting game, glitches are always part of the metagame. Though the only thing gamebreaking was a Gambit jump that would make him never fall, I forget if that was patched out or not, or if that was specifically a glitch in the arcade/PSN version.

Rev3rb

Voting.
Physics.
Base speed.
Basic weapons feel more deadly.
Strafing.
Maps complete with things to crouch/hide/play ring around the rosy behind.

What I don't like are the things that basically contradict the philosophies I just mentioned above. With things like PV, dash always up (and with things like sword), instant spawning and even more AA related shenanigans, the baseplay seems almost futile.

The latest design philosophies in Halo games surrounding rewards and team play lately have been in constant conflict. They want a team oriented game but instead of giving you rank or reward based on wins it becomes more about individual play. It seems counterproductive and now it's all about vanity and unlocking perks for yourself.

To me it's one or the other.

So if there were options in custom games to turn off most of what you said above, you think the underlying gameplay would hold up?

Tashi

It's a fighting game, glitches are always part of the metagame.

I'm talking game breaking glitches. I'm talking entire teams super bouncing or glitching out of maps. It's like getting the lead in Marvel and then glitching off the screen until time runs out.

Sissel

those issues would have to be addressed obviously. But they don't have anything to do with the game itself. That would just an issue related to modding xboxes / standbying.

edit: stuff like superjumping didn't affect the good maps in the game, so I don't really care.

haha this is ridiculous

Why is it ridiculous? I've made it clear here before that my main love for Halo comes from the Campaigns first and foremost. 343 set an amazing stage for Halo 4 using the Forerunner Saga and Kilo Five books. As a fan of the greater fiction, I love that stuff. But to me, they absolutely killed the mystery of Halo 4 by using fiction established in Crytum and Primordium as key plot points in the Halo 4 story. That is a HUGE misstep in my opinion. On top of that, the game lacks replayability to me. Missions are so much more straight forward now, no Arks, or Covenants which is a huge disappointment.

Their goal for better graphics resulted in smaller Campaign levels, and the loss of Bungie's signature skyboxes. No more exploring outside of the playable space, because there is quite literally nothing to explore.

The Prometheans are an absolute bore to fight. This has already been stated here by others very well, but bad feedback on top of the minuscule amount of ways to take them out is just... awful. You can argue that their AI will prevent them from becoming boring to fight, but the old, Watcher, Crawler, then Knight formula grew old real fast for me.

As far as multiplayer, it just bores me and I will leave it at that.

Trey

I wouldn't say map control is gone. I would say its importance has been diminished. There are clear benefits to holding choke points and high grounds - it's just that the opposition can get a power weapon to push you off.

In prior Halos, map control meant power weapon control. That isn't the case any longer.

You are creepy. Or not. I always forget the who posted feature haha.

I know for a fact Ellis has only posted once since launch because it was in direct response to a question I had asked (about launch times for new episodes of Spartan Ops.)

Regardless, what's creepy about answering a question someone else asked?

Shadders

I've had a great experience online outside of Infinity Slayer and Dominion. Those two just end up in a big spammy power weapon mess, but everything else is tons of fun.

Infnity Slayer was a huge mistake though, they need to move it from the top of the playlists because for a lot of people that might be their only experience of the game, and a good chunk of them won't come back for more..

Voting.
Physics.
Base speed.
Basic weapons feel more deadly.
Strafing.
Maps complete with things to crouch/hide/play ring around the rosy behind.

What I don't like are the things that basically contradict the philosophies I just mentioned above. With things like PV, dash always up (and with things like sword), instant spawning and even more AA related shenanigans, the baseplay seems almost futile.

The latest design philosophies in Halo games surrounding rewards and team play lately have been in constant conflict. They want a team oriented game but instead of giving you rank or reward based on wins it becomes more about individual play. It seems counterproductive and now it's all about vanity and unlocking perks for yourself.

To me it's one or the other.

I have to agree with this.

Would anyone be interested in starting a thread or finding a place to wade out all the filler and start makig a comprehensive list of things we'd like to see come back/changed.

We could also start building more classic like gametypes in Forge. Yesterday I was messing around on Haven deleting the ordnance drops and trying to figure what weapons belong on the map and where they should go. Als laid down some BR/DMR ammo.

Tashi

those issues would have to be addressed obviously. But they don't have anything to do with the game itself. That would just an issue related to modding xboxes / standbying.

edit: stuff like superjumping didn't affect the good maps in the game, so I don't really care.

Zanzibar was good. Turf was good. Warlock was good. Ascension was good. I'm probably missing some...Whatever, this argument isn't going anywhere so I'm dropping it.

I can't wait until I get to fuck around with the specializations. I wish I could have everything unlocked already so I can experiment more with my loadouts.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wish people would remember how god-awful Halo 2 was at launch; it was near unplayable before those first patches rolled out.

Then again, I think 343 might be content with how much of the game turned out, something that I don't think was the case with Bungie in their situation.

Yeah every time I hear make comparisons to Halo 2 and how godly it was in the same breath as criticisms of some brokenness I wonder if they were actually around for it's launch. It was terrible, but it was the best anyone had for console multiplayer games. I couldn't connect to matches period for spans of weeks. Not to mention everything else wrong with Halo 2 and its broken ass matchmaking/ranking too, which never really got fixed.

Mayyhem

I wouldn't say map control is gone. I would say its importance has been diminished. There are clear benefits to holding choke points and high grounds - it's just that the opposition can get a power weapon to push you off.

In prior Halos, map control meant power weapon control. That isn't the case any longer.
You are correct

Now teams can control key choke points on the map until I:
- activate jet pack and soar into the air
- get a few knee shots in with my dmr
- accumulate some easy assists
- get some free killstreak
- press one button and have a incineration cannon spawn in front of me conveniently
- aim at choke point
-???
-profit

Omni

Probably.. campaign only though

I'd still buy it.

Halo 2's campaign remains the best in the original trilogy* for me. Everything about it - the music, the atmosphere of the levels and even the sometimes tedious difficulties (I'm looking at you Legendary) are amazing. Nostalgia or not, I'd still pay full price for it in HD.

*I say original trilogy because it's obvious that 343i are taking a more 'hardcore' sci-fi route with the Halo franchise now. Bungie didn't really and I don't think it's fair to include the first 3 and 4 in the same comparisons.

Trey

Why is it ridiculous? I've made it clear here before that my main love for Halo comes from the Campaigns first and foremost. 343 set an amazing stage for Halo 4 using the Forerunner Saga and Kilo Five books. As a fan of the greater fiction, I love that stuff. But to me, they absolutely killed the mystery of Halo 4 by using fiction established in Crytum and Primordium as key plot points in the Halo 4 story. That is a HUGE misstep in my opinion.

That was a smart decision, in my opinion. Bungie caught a lot of shit for ignoring the EU elements, and 343 wanted to develop Chief's character and his relationship with Cortana. Tapping into the books to provide that crucial depth was ace. Too bad they put most of the story in terminals and didn't make the fiction promote intelligent gameplay situations. Shit just happens between you and a button. Definitely more claustrophobic.

Halo 5 has to open up a lot more. Easter eggs, less linear, more playground. Being developed on a more powerful console should help with that. I'm already looking forward to it.

Sissel

I have to agree with this.

Would anyone be interested in starting a thread or finding a place to wade out all the filler and start makig a comprehensive list of things we'd like to see come back/changed.

We could also start building more classic like gametypes in Forge. Yesterday I was messing around on Haven deleting the ordnance drops and trying to figure what weapons belong on the map and where they should go. Als laid down some BR/DMR ammo.
Def should make a thread for that.

So if there were options in custom games to turn off most of what you said above, you think the underlying gameplay would hold up?

While Slayer Pro is far from perfect, there are moments when the basic combat tools are allowed to thrive and it feels right.

Of course it would hold up, the question would be its popularity. That's one thing I don't pretend to know, but I know what looks and feels like Halo to me that has kept me coming back and not as interested in other FPSes. From Reach on it feels like they're moving away from what attracted me to Halo above all others. If that's what they want to do then okay but I can't help be honest about how I feel about that.

Funny story from yesterday were playing Valhalla CTF, we have control of top mid one of our guys has control of their base I say " Hey pickup the flag and get it to middle" He says back "I don't wanna grab flag I got incineration cannon"

I think it might have been ViewtifulJC? Not sure.

Burst out laughing in sadness.

This was the point I was making earlier with my 'brag' + 50 post. If you've accrued a killing frenzy on the way to the enemy's flag, do you want to stop that dead and pick up the flag, knowing for certain that you'll be killed in transit? Or do you go for the running riot, the rampage, the untouchable and wait for some other schmuck to do the flag errand?

Had it been Halo 3, I would have picked up their flag and tossed it into the man cannon for my team to collect at the hill while I worked the enemy at their spawn. The flexibility of regular CTF allowed for that. It was dynamic; I could engage the objective whilst not being forced to adopt it exclusively. Now it's all or nothing.

Let me get this straight. You have the gall to tell me I'm the arrogant one around here, and then you presume to know what I care about as I play and judge me on it. GFYS

He also took umbrage at 343 being called arrogant whilst referring to Sage Merrill as 'the asshole' in the same post.

---------------------------------------------

The BTB game earlier with gaffers was abysmal. The immovable guy at Pelican received a Binary Rifle out of nowhere, effortlessly dominated with it (it takes no effort to use), then had a Railgun... I think Ordnance might be glitched for my gamertag in MM because 8/10 times I'm offered a needler, saw or shitty ass speed boost. I can't believe that power weapon distribution in Halo is now essentially a fruit machine. Probably my number one issue with this game is its handling of power weapons. Two is AA's. Camo is horrifying in this game. I've now had a few games against patient camo users. One was using a sword. The other was camo sniping. Both were crouching and were imperceptible. Camo is the one AA that really takes me 'out' of the game and just makes me wish I was doing something else.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How was it broken?
Matchmaking low level people with high level ones on the random. You could have a 2 and a 50 in the same game, which conversely affects ranking, making it even tougher for lower levels to get ahead when they're constantly paired against parties/teams of 50s. To my knowledge this still occurred in the latter half of the game's life too, although of course the majority of people were pretty high level by then, discrepancies were still widespread, even when I stopped playing.

I don't think they will include multiplayer because the first one didn't. didn't they say they didn't want it to interfere with the current halo?

harmonize

How was it broken?
Honestly, I'm not sure, since people stopped caring about it long before Halo 3 released due to the game being a modder's paradise. Once you got high enough in rank, they'd appear, at minimum, once every couple of matches.

Anybody that thought the boosters and derankers in 3 were frusterating to deal with, needs to go check out Halo forums and messageboards circa 2005-2006.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man as much as I try to understand Specializations, I don't really.

How does the Pioneer specialization work? You get the armor as soon as you start it, and it gives you bonus XP? If you finish the specialization, and wear the armor afterwards, do you continue to get bonus XP? If that's the case, then why would anyone choose any other specialization to start with?

dalVlatko

Matchmaking low level people with high level ones on the random. You could have a 2 and a 50 in the same game, which conversely affects ranking, making it even tougher for lower levels to get ahead when they're constantly paired against parties/teams of 50s. To my knowledge this still occurred in the latter half of the game's life too, although of course the majority of people were pretty high level by then, discrepancies were still widespread, even when I stopped playing.
I don't remember that at all. I played thousands of games of Halo 2 multiplayer and most of them were in matchmaking with friends trying to rank up in playlists. It was pretty much always people around the same rank.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm sitting here at a seemingly frozen host switch on a game of Dominion. I can't even bring up my dashboard.

Could this shit be any more of a beta?

kylej

Banned
Really appreciate the morons who endlessly said "Don't judge [x], you haven't played it yet!" prior to release even though "Team Downer" called all this stupid shit out months ago.

Top Bottom