• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

heckfu

Banned
Really appreciate the morons who endlessly said "Don't judge [x], you haven't played it yet!" prior to release even though "Team Downer" called all this stupid shit out months ago.

Appreciate being called a moron.

At least you can justify what you don't like, right? I mean...right?

Sanjuro

I'm personally loving the game. The XP issues are the only thing really bugging me.

Everything else I would complain about are network related. Game certainly is going to need some tweaks.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm sitting here at a seemingly frozen host switch on a game of Dominion. I can't even bring up my dashboard.

Could this shit be any more of a beta?

3 minutes of a frozen host switch screen

stellar

This happens all the time in Reach as well. And if it is actually frozen, then all you can do is to restart your Xbox (disconnect the controller, if the light for it on Xbox does not vanish, then it is frozen).

Sissel

Matchmaking low level people with high level ones on the random. You could have a 2 and a 50 in the same game, which conversely affects ranking, making it even tougher for lower levels to get ahead when they're constantly paired against parties/teams of 50s. To my knowledge this still occurred in the latter half of the game's life too, although of course the majority of people were pretty high level by then, discrepancies were still widespread, even when I stopped playing.
if you went in with a 2 and a 50, you'd probably face people ranks 35 and up.

I don't think they will include multiplayer because the first one didn't. didn't they say they didn't want it to interfere with the current halo?

The original CE didn't have online matchmaking, though.

Seriously, a slightly tweaked H2A might be the best thing that could possibly happen to Halo at this point, emphasize to 343 just how popular the old ways still are.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This happens all the time in Reach as well. And if it is actually frozen, then all you can do is to restart your Xbox (disconnect the controller, if the light for it on Xbox does not vanish, then it is frozen).
In my 5,000+ games of Reach this has never happened.

Rev3rb

Of course it would hold up, the question would be its popularity. That's one thing I don't pretend to know, but I know what looks and feels like Halo to me that has kept me coming back and not as interested in other FPSes. From Reach on it feels like they're moving away from what attracted me to Halo above all others. If that's what they want to do then okay but I can't help be honest about how I feel about that.

Here's to hoping the classic playlist is "classic"

Trey

Better off just making H2A then remaking a couple of the maps for whatever the current Halo is

Release H2A with a title update that:

• fixes the glitches and matchmaking issues in Halo 4
  • bring in-game clans, ranking system
  • adds more custom options, such as toggling flag pick up, oddball throwing, strafing, etc
  • comes with a playlist that replaces slayer pro - it would basically play exactly like the old Halos. Call it classic slayer.
  • a couple of maps from Halo 2. Say, Lockout and Waterworks.

It would appease a lot of hardcore Halo fans that are turned off by infinity slayer. The campaign doesn't need a graphics overhaul so pop-in and framerate could be improved. The playerbase wouldn't be split because the changes would be a TU which adds to the base game - it wouldn't be an entirely different game. The extra maps will be handled just like the other new maps will.

Here's a good list of what I like about Halo 4.

1. I really like the weapons. Not since Halo: CE has the sandbox been close to having every weapon be uniquely powerful. And Halo 4, more so than 2, 3, ODST, and Reach, comes closest to that. The only weapons I don’t find particularly satisfying to use are the plasma pistol and the Suppressor. Out of a game with upwards of 20+ weapons, that’s quite the awesome achievement.

2. The best story in a while. Thought it left me very much confused, the presentation of the story and its overall cohesiveness is far better than what we got in Halo 3, ODST, and Reach.

3. Interesting opportunities to explore in the campaign. I sung praises about the opening to “Requiem” and I’ll repeat it here – one of the best, if not the best, openings to a Halo level ever. There’s plenty to discover if you take the time to look around. And that’s only the beginning! There’s stuff like audio logs and ways to interact with the environment that tell you more about the fiction, like that area in
Shutdown where you could push a button and learn about some artifacts the team was researching.
More of this please.

4. The terminals. Great presentation, good voice acting. Keep it up!

5. The concept of “Reclaimer.” Within this level I think is one of the keys for the future of the franchise: taking the Halo sandbox and pairing it with unique concepts, like a fully-fledged hubworld. Whatever your feelings about “Reclaimer,” you have to admit that nothing like it has been done before in a Halo game, and for that it was refreshing and should be applauded.

6. Weapon feedback. Most, if not all the guns are very fun to fire. Probably the best gun feedback in the series. LOVE.

7. King of the Hill. I think it was a smart move to let every player know where the hill was going to spawn next. I think this adds a lot more depth to the gametype because you’re trying to coordinate with your teammates about who should remain in the hill and who should go after the new one. I’m having more fun in KotH in Halo 4 than I did in any other game.

8. The decision to limit grenades to two and not having grenade pickups. I was skeptical of the change at first, but now I’m completely behind it. I find myself thinking how best to use a grenade rather than mindlessly chucking one. Grenades are well balanced too.

9. The base gameplay is great and is more akin to the Halo I know and love and grew up with.

10. Voice actor for the Didact is great. Was completely terrified of him when
he was released from his Cryptum, and a lot of that had to do with the voice.

11. I enjoyed the interactions between Chief and Cortana in the campaign.

12. Main menu is awesome.

I'm sitting here at a seemingly frozen host switch on a game of Dominion. I can't even bring up my dashboard.

Could this shit be any more of a beta?

Oh yea, I had a host quit which caused a black screen. The black screen didn't go away after a few minutes and I was forced to dashboard quit.

It was taking us over five minutes to get a game earlier in a gaf party. Often it just aborted the search.

After the black screen game, I played a game on Solace where players were teleporting around, proper red bar stuff.

This all happened tonight. The servers seemed to be having a lot of issues.

I am loving all the game modes TBH, and Im not really getting a heavies vibe from BTB except for maybe some bad matches on Exile or Ragnarok. Exile is just a little weird for the tank; replace it with the mantis and trim down the other vehicles. Longbow is probably my favorite BTB map, but I am loving em all. So far I am enjoying the smaller maps, but I still am in the air about Abandon, but Im leaning positive with it.. Haven is amazing. We need a lot more maps like it and I bet voting data backs that up. Complex should be BTB.. is it in Dominion?

Speaking of Dominion, I really like it.. It is just a lot of fun and really inspire some awesome teamwork.

The biggest obvious bust is Forge. The maps look like crap tbh, and they really dont provide a nice bank slate to start with either. I like hope the natural rocks adopt some of the maps texture.. It would be cool if that could be applied to structures to make them a little overgrown looking or something.

---

I'm in the minority here, aren't I?

kyle has to be feeling so vindicated right now, he's probably going to be gloating for some time.

The writing was on the wall as soon as stuff was mentioned that's not particularly inclusive to Halo but other FPS games. It was more of a question of whether stripped out gametypes would be available. I called this as well.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Going back and quoting all the stuff I knew was going to be stupid and surprise, turns out everyone thinks its stupid would take me way too long.

The core gameplay is good, having a regular fight with someone else one on one is amazing, but they dun goofed with it comes to everything else.

Having 5 players, I am always so torn between KOTH, CTF and Oddball. Objective in 4 is really fun. Nailing some awesome ball throws, locking down a hill or securing a flag, lot's of fun scenarios.

Playlist management will be curious to watch.

Sissel

I agree Daxy, KOTH is a great playlist.

It's also a playlist that has received sensible changes.
eh, I dunno. I played it on Adrift and the hills just move way too fast. We outkilled the other team big time AND always rushed for the hills whenever we could, and only won by like 2 seconds. There's barely any defense required, its more of a race to get there first.

I kinda want the grenade launcher back.
The sticky launcher in 4 feels more like the sticky launcher of the demo in TF2 since the shots are so direct, but it's also slower to get mid-air explosions with it I find. I like it for trap purposes because the grenade launcher made it impossible to place on perfectly as a setup, but I like the aesthetic and the direct combat capabilities of the GL.

I kinda feel this screenshot mislead us about the scale on some environments in SP:
Ckliy.jpg

Also, I wonder what happened to the Falcon.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
eh, I dunno. I played it on Adrift and the hills just move way too fast. We outkilled the other team big time AND always rushed for the hills whenever we could, and only won by like 2 seconds. There's barely any defense required, its more of a race to get there first.

This is instant respawns in action.

I know why they're doing it, but they need to get rid of it in objectives/Slayer Pro.

Do you guys miss Reach?

You ask this question of people that are just coming off playing Reach for two straight years. It was an above average game, but everyone's still sick to death of it.

H4 on the other hand was released less than a week ago and people are still going through the honeymoon period.

You're not going to get an evenhanded answer.

Sissel

This is instant respawns in action.

I know why they're doing it, but they need to get rid of it in objectives/Slayer Pro.
They're doing it because people have become too ADD to wait 3-8 seconds. They're chasing the CoD crowd, simply put. And it's futile because the game still takes too much skill for that crowd to stick around once BO2 comes out.

kylej

Banned

Why justify it? I've been justifying what I don't like about Halo since before you and most people here started browsing GAF. Shit doesn't change. There's no point. All these people writing logical critiques will be ignored. 343 got their nice 9.8 from IGN which they can stick on the back of the box, they sold a bunch of Mountain Dew, Microsoft assuredly sold a ton of copies, and now 90% of the player population will leave to play Blops 2 in a few days and everyone here will sit around twiddling thumbs and complaining until Halo 5 releases. At least with Bungie there was an illusion that their games were catered to making some parts of the community happy. Halo 4 is just a cash grab at COD, designed by executives at Microsoft. Period. Multiplayer is fundamentally broken when played at anything remotely approaching a competitive level. This is not Halo. Throwing BRs and recharging shields into a grab bag of mechanics doesn't automatically = Halo.

I mean people either tell me

"Speak your mind now because there's no use in complaining after the game is out!"

or

"You haven't played it yet, you can't judge anything that you see!"

at a certain point why bother.

kyle has to be feeling so vindicated right now, he's probably going to be gloating for some time.

Not really, same thing happened during Reach. During one of the first days of the Reach beta, I said bleedthrough needs to be brought back, bloom is a dumb mechanic, pistol needs to have a larger clip and made more powerful, grenades need to be weakened, Arena would be a failure, and that the map design was a mess. I'm no soothsayer, it's just anyone with a remote understanding of what makes prior Halo games great can see the faults.

I'm not happy about people not enjoying Halo 4. When I complain about things it is because I want it to be better. This is my favorite multiplayer series and one of my favorite franchises in all of video games. Shit I played over 12,000 games of Halo 3. I wish I loved this game but I don't.

I agree Daxy, KOTH is a great playlist.

It's also a playlist that has received sensible changes.
The biggest change I would make to the playlist right now is the map selection. I don't think Valhalla should be on there because it's too big of a map for 5v5 KotH. Sometimes the hills spawn all the way on one side of the map while one team is on the opposite and. I think Adrift doesn't work well for Oddball or KotH because it's too indirect. It's hard to to your objective quickly.
I kinda want the grenade launcher back.
I mean, who doesn't?!

Sissel

Not really, same thing happened during Reach. During one of the first days of the Reach beta, I said bleedthrough needs to be brought back, bloom is a dumb mechanic, pistol needs to have a larger clip and made more powerful, grenades need to be weakened, Arena would be a failure, and that the map design was a mess. I'm no soothsayer, it's just anyone with a remote understanding of what makes prior Halo games great can see the faults.

I'm not happy about people not enjoying Halo 4. When I complain about things it is because I want it to be better. This is my favorite multiplayer series and one of my favorite franchises in all of video games. Shit I played over 12,000 games of Halo 3. I wish I loved this game but I don't.
amen.

Tawpgun

Is that screenshot from the campaign theater they cut out to save Forge?

Campaign theater is for devs only.

If you get killed by a cone or something funny you might get access to it. They'll do some obscure community challenges and give out campaign theater to individuals who win things. In about a year they will make a spinoff Halo 4 with Commander Palmer and her teams and you'll have to complete achievements to finally unlock Campaign Theater for yourself.

Beli343

Blueblur1

Last week's Weekend Confirmed podcast had some great commentary on the game. My favorite observation was the one made by Jeff Cannata: Halo 4's campaign is all about running around hitting switches and inserting Cortana into terminals. And that's all the Chief does besides shoot things. I wish I had noticed that sooner.

And I've come around on my opinion of the story. Before I thought it was cool that the Chief was gonna be on a Forerunner planet with the Infinity hovering above but I'm tired of it. Halo 4 would have been much more interesting experience if the plot had left Chief abandoned and on his own. Encountering a brand new enemy (as opposed to an existing expanded universe character) on the planet, or maybe another race of aliens, would have way more interesting.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Why justify it? I've been justifying what I don't like about Halo since before you and most people here started browsing GAF. Shit doesn't change. There's no point. All these people writing logical critiques will be ignored. 343 got their nice 9.8 from IGN which they can stick on the back of the box, they sold a bunch of Mountain Dew, Microsoft assuredly sold a ton of copies, and now 90% of the player population will leave to play Blops 2 in a few days and everyone here will sit around twiddling thumbs and complaining until Halo 5 releases. At least with Bungie there was an illusion that their games were catered to making some parts of the community happy. Halo 4 is just a cash grab at COD, designed by executives at Microsoft. Period. Multiplayer is fundamentally broken when played at anything remotely approaching a competitive level. This is not Halo. Throwing BRs and recharging shields into a grab bag of mechanics doesn't automatically = Halo.

I mean people either tell me

"Speak your mind now because there's no use in complaining after the game is out!"

or

"You haven't played it yet, you can't judge anything that you see!"

at a certain point why bother.

Have you played any customs? We should get together and play some customs one of these days, I want to see how it is with all the dumb stuff turned off.

Top Bottom