• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fighting the king in regicide, and he magically gets an overshield while I'm shooting at him. I've rage quit more times in the past week of Halo 4 than I did in the entire two years of Reach.

Blueblur1

I hope they work on the friends list (calling it 'active roster' is tantamount to an insult to Bungie and the excellent Reach Active Roster, IMO). I think it should be in alphabetical order like the standard Friends List and I don't like the fact that people from my current match get added to it; it clutters up the list. I will say that I'm glad we have access to it while a match is loading up though. I was always annoyed by the inability to access the Active Roster in Reach after I had begun searching for a match.

broony

The root of my problems is seeded in the global ordinance not displaying the right icon. Hopefully a branch of the team are working on it and don't decide to leaf it as it is.

The main problem I have with sprint is that it doesn't flow well with the combat. Constantly having to stop suddenly from one speed to the next doesn't sit well with Halo's combat, I feel.
That too! Personally, and I know not everyone will agree, but if I have to have sprint as a default ability, I want to be able to shoot people while sprinting. Hate having to stop to engage people in combat. It's like, I almost don't want to sprint anymore because I'll have the drop on anyone who is sprinting. But then i'm a sitting duck just asking to be assassinated. CONSTERNATION!!!

I'd really like to see a more traditional Team Slayer mode implemented on a wider basis in Halo 4 and not just in customs, but I may be in the minority on some of these things.

-Static Ordnance
-Radar
-BR/DMR with 2 frags and pistol start.
-Utility and other weapons on map for ammo and variety (besides the static power weapons).
-Only kills are worth points @ 50 points to win (kill=1 point) for simplicity.
-No deathcam
-No JIP (not sure if possible)
-No press X to spawn (not sure if possible)
-Added death markers and teammate indicators for when teammates are shooting/being shot at. Hopefully that can be added to the game overall.

Most of these things are achievable in Forge, but again, it would be nice to see these things implemented on a wider basis.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'd really like to see a more traditional Team Slayer mode implemented on a wider basis in Halo 4 and not just in customs, but I may be in the minority on some of these things.

-Static Ordnance
-Radar
-Utility and other weapons on map for ammo and variety (besides the static power weapons).
-No deathcam
-Added death markers and teammate indicators for when teammates are shooting/being shot at. Hopefully that can be added to the game overall.

Most of these things are achievable in Forge, but again, it would be nice to see these things implemented on a wider basis.
I would live in this playlist

zlatko

Banned
I'm fighting the king in regicide, and he magically gets an overshield while I'm shooting at him. I've rage quit more times in the past week of Halo 4 than I did in the entire two years of Reach.

It isn't magic. It happens after a set time of being King and alive without dying.

oh yeah good game Moonman, bummer that you had to end up on the other end of that
Haha I was just looking at the stats from that game and crying. I think my side was down a man for a good chunk of that game too. could be wrong. Anyway, good game. Still waiting on a mercs playlist!!! Why can't this be done?

DeadNames

Banned

-Static Ordnance
-Radar
-No deathcam

I think that people should be able to use their custom loadouts, but without perks or AAs.

I think that would create the optimal H4 experience. This game would be so much more fun.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't magic. It happens after a set time of being King and alive without dying.
I know, but unless I look at the clock every time there's a new king, I have no way of knowing when it will kick in. Maybe Steitzer could give me a little heads up? Maybe the crown icon over the king's head could blink green for a few seconds before the overshield kicks in?

Glad to hear some fixes are happening (as I knew they would *dusts off shoulder*). Love the game, will soon love the game even more. My one major problem that won't be fixed is just the repetitiveness of the same 3 maps chosen in regular Infinity Slayer. I'm even choosing Abandon to try to counter that feeling. Just give us all the maps now, 343, you know you want to!

I'll say it again, objective in H4 is excellent.

Perhaps because it's not over burdened by the terrible ordanance (both random and personal) system.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Assault Rifle
Boltshot
Grenadier
Explosives
Jetpack

Alternatively, look for a needler. Seriously, the needler gives zero fucks about overshields.

regicide sucks
I'll say it again, objective in H4 is excellent.

Perhaps because it's not over burdened by the terrible ordanance (both random and personal) system.

I like the revamped modes, with the exception of CTF. The flagnum isn't that bad, but auto pickup+waypoint on my head kills it for me.

Ramirez

I know, but unless I look at the clock every time there's a new king, I have no way of knowing when it will kick in. Maybe Steitzer could give me a little heads up? Maybe the crown icon over the king's head could blink green for a few seconds before the overshield kicks in?

Or just don't play Regicide, it's one of the worst gametypes ever conceived.

Really would have like to been at the meeting where PV was decided on, it's way more insulting to the game than AL ever thought of being. You shouldn't be able to run out the entire time of a 4v4 match in IS, but it happens all of the time because people are just spamming PV and refusing to move until you do, so stupid, jesus.

Conor 419

Banned
Urgh, Spartan Op's is so gritty military. Could they really not have been more creative with their characterisation and dialogue? It's frustrating seeing this series have its identity slowly whittled away by generic military design, much like the Mantis. "Oh but the militant focus grounds this story in realism, and tells a more human sto-" nobody cares for fuck sake.

Minor but semi unique criticisms

- Why wouldn't the Chief comment on the new Spartans? I mean, what?
- There should have been focus on Earth's greatest hero not being dead.
- I wish more of the equipment used were commented on by Chief/Cortana.
- It feels like three books characterising the Didact, was ultimately a waste of time.
- Del Rio will go down as one of the worst characters in entertainment history.

zlatko

Banned
it should be after a certain amount of kills as King imo

In a game type that puts a giant fat ass arrow on top of you and makes everyone try to kill you? Hell no. I'm fine with it as is.

Edit: Doesn't the announcer also say something when the king gets overshield?

FyreWulff

Is Meltdown the map with the light bridge in the middle and winds under itself?

I'll just say that map looked a lot bigger in the previews. It's actually relatively small.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think I'm going to try forging a map when I get out of class. I really felt Reach's forge wasn't easy to use, let's see how long I last with this iteration.

Any tips? I literally have no idea what I'm doing.

edit: this should probably go in the forge ot lol

Sai-kun

Banned
Del Rio was the only one who could actually deliver good lines. As a character, I didn't like him, but his voice actor was great and the only one who showed emotion.

DeadNames

Banned
What, so 343i sat millions of dollars worth of talent around a large conference table and thought?

'Let's design the worst character in entertainment history'.

Oh sorry, of course.

Of course that was the point.

Wait, do you mean worse as in just a bad character? Or personality wise?

Conor 419

Banned
Del Rio was the only one who could actually deliver good lines. As a character, I didn't like him, but his voice actor was great and the only one who showed emotion.

No, he was a 1D stereotype. I took one look at his face and instantly knew where his character was going (bear in mind this was E3 2012). It's completely unfeasible that a guy like that was commanding the most elite ship in Humanity's history.

Wait, do you mean worse as in just a bad character? Or personality wise?

The former.

Sai-kun

Banned

Hm, yeah, she was okay too most of the time, except

Endgame spoilers

Not really, but still.

The "I will not allow you to leave this planet" line was so badly delivered. I was seriously like "wait, that's it?". I like her line about chess in the 7th mission much more. So good.

Rev3rb

Played 2 games a few days ago on Ragnarok where the sniper that spawned under the base would show a Splazer ordnance icon until you walked all the way up to it. It was quite a surprise the first time it happened, didn't mind all that much. Anyone know if that was due to lag or a bug?

Story questions for mission three:
1. How can the Didact manipulate the signal of Infinity while he's inside the Cryptum? Isn't he's supposed to be unconscious? Halo: Cryptum made a Cryptum out to be like a cryotube.
2. Why didn't he kill the Chief after he was released?

That first question bugs me a lot also.

Managed to score an amazing capture of that certain part of the Legendary ending. Only look if you've actually seen the the legendary ending.

http://i.minus.com/i9Yn3Dai1qeQS.jpg

Holy shit almost posted it wrong. Yikes.

Damn, thats nice. I would ask you to capture a few more scenes, but alas.

Hah, I have been doing the Boltshot glitch all the time without even realizing it.

I think Spartan Ops has a lot of potential. But so far there are some issues.

The spawning system has been talked about. It really got to me on the first mission of episode 2. There's just nothing to either discourage death or reward staying alive. With Firefight, if it wasn't the limited lives, then the visible scoring and medal systems encouraged that; I pushed for sprees of certain kinds, point records, flawless no-death games. Halo 4 is tracking that kind of stuff as medals are visible with points attached in post-game and on Waypoint. Medals should be made visible during the game.

The other thing that stands out is the degree to which the missions are relying on respawning enemies to prolong the trek through smallish spaces. This first mission of Episode 2 took me about 22 minutes to clear, solo, on Heroic. And I killed 139 enemies. And it's in a space smaller than Courtyard in Reach. This was only possible because things spawned in waves - about five or six of them.

A Round of Firefight in Reach was five Waves of enemies, the last of which was a boss wave. They took around 15 minutes solo, and had around 110 enemies, give or take, depending on the composition of the squads.

In other words, this Spartan Ops mission was a was a Firefight mission. But without the options, flexibility, scoring, limited lives or other game systems that defined Firefight; it was a scripted Firefight mission. It just wasn't nearly as fun, because it lacked the game systems that made Firefight fun; it also lacked the systems that make Campaign challenging (that would be the spawning system). At one point we even got an ordnance drop, which originated with Reach's Firefight.

My hope is that as this progresses, these kind of missions become more rare, and combat becomes more and more about overcoming interesting encounters, rather than waves of enemies that spawn around us. The mission should have been about 1/2 as long as it was; the 3rd or 4th wave of Prometheans were too much.

I am having similar frustrations with Spartan Ops.. its a really neat idea, but it feels pretty lacking as of now. TBH, at this point I think I would rather just have FF back.. the second CG episode did nothing for me. If they can get Spartan Ops to really back more of a punch and live up to its potential I bet I would like it more than FF, at least a lot more than Reach FF. ODST FF was a lot better for numerous reasons IMO...if only that game had better netcode.

I may use that when I get there in my legendary solo run. Mission 5 on Legendary just fucking glitched for me, so after spending well over an hour on it I think I'll have to restart. Fuck.

I just finished laying out a remake of a map I made in reach.

jR3CCTkL6QMzP.jpg

For comparison this is what it used to look like:

jrFDT5OLZwuJo.jpg

I'm not sure if its just cause its a new game but man that looks better.

I will say, the shadows really do help from the look of that picture.. Relay on the other hand really doesn't look good to me at all, the shadows seem to have did nothing.

I won't (can't) comment on Davidge's work until I pick up the soundtrack, but I will say the implementation of his music in the game was all over the map. Sometimes it was good, like moments when you're inside Forerunner structures, and sometimes it was bad – or rather, lacking – like when you need some music to pump you up for a fight.

And at times I was missing Marty's simple grandeur. I've been listening to this on repeat for the past several days. You're welcome.

Yup, its all over the place via placement and mixing. Half the time I can't even freaking hear the music, and then it ends abruptly, even during cutscenes. I think its clear 343 was down to the last minute with making Halo 4 work.

Our approach to updates and sustain support will be much more frequent and organic than before. There are limits to this of course, but it won't simply be bug fixes or glitch-fixes (some of which can be done fairly rapidly, like carneyholes in maps) but added features and functionality too. Like tending a garden.

Sounds good to me..

Any chance of adding gametypes that are not in the game as of now? Assault and 1-Flag would be all sorts of awesome.

So when is the Complex/Ragnarok glitch going be fixed?

There is a glitch on Ragnarok?

Conor 419

Banned
No. He did a action. He attacked because they were his previous foe. The Spartan IVs are different. He knows that the Spartan IVs fight on his side through the comms already. So why should he comment on that?

I don't think you understand story.

The idea is, that the audience will be raising questions as to why there are suddenly a fuck load of Spartans running about, in this situation the Master Chief could have been used as a literary tool to raise the question and have the point discussed for the audiences satisfaction. He would have had plenty of motivation to do so, this is undeniable. So like many other aspects of the story, I just look at this as another missed opportunity.

If fans simply give (poor) technical reasons to justify plot elements not being explained, then this series isn't going to get anywhere.

Bizazedo

No. He did a action. He attacked because they were his previous foe. The Spartan IVs are different. He knows that the Spartan IVs fight on his side through the comms already. So why should he comment on that?

He tried to kill the Arbiter. Arbiter then talked some shit. It was little, but it was enough to make it seem somewhat natural.

As for why he should comment, a couple reasons.

The biggest is that MC was one of a limited batch of kidnapped children, kept secret from the general populace until morale boosts were needed, and even then, "anonymous". To say their creation was borderline illegal is an understatement.

These yahoos wander around like football jocks after winning the game that night. They do not hide their identities and seem more like arrogant ODST jocks than the very reserved Spartan II's MC was / is.

There's a lot of them.

He essentially outranks them, he should want to know about them.

And finally, to help the players who didn't read the books understand more about them. This is the biggest out of game reason.

Tawpgun

Urgh, Spartan Op's is so gritty military. Could they really not have been more creative with their characterisation and dialogue? It's frustrating seeing this series have its identity slowly whittled away by generic military design, much like the Mantis. "Oh but the militant focus grounds this story in realism, and tells a more human sto-" nobody cares for fuck sake.

Minor but semi unique criticisms

- Why wouldn't the Chief comment on the new Spartans? I mean, what?
- There should have been focus on Earth's greatest hero not being dead.
- I wish more of the equipment used were commented on by Chief/Cortana.
- It feels like three books characterising the Didact, was ultimately a waste of time.
- Del Rio will go down as one of the worst characters in entertainment history.

Agreed on all but the last two.

We still have Silentium to get through.
Del Rio just seemed like a waste of time. Didn't detract from the story though. They needed a leader of the infinity who would go against the chiefs reccomendations and leave the didact behind.

Though there was a bit of homecoming in the epilogue, I was thinking there should have been a shittton more celebration. Esp-

WAIT A FUCKING SECOND. I know this is canon nitpicky but the Believe campaign has old UNSC soldiers commenting on Master Chief, believing he was dead.

But in a way in makes sense. He's still an active duty soldier. Ain't got time for fame.

Another interesting concept: This is the first time Chief will be on Earth with nothing to do for an extended period of time. I'm hoping we get a Mk VII Armor and other goodies.

Just played a game of Abandon where a guy with an SR rank of 72 and his buddies capped the flag 4 times before spawn camping us because we were lucky to spawn sunny side. Utter shit.

Top Bottom