• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Mabef

Banned
AFIAK no. Don't know if it's at the gametype level or the engine level. There was separate fine controls for it in Reach and Halo 3 they could use at the playlist level.

Oh man, if true that is rough. Conspiring requires voice chat! I dunno how I can even deal with this.

FyreWulff

Much better.

3EAvC.jpg

Looking at these shots makes me wish Halo had HUD position adjustment so we could make use of the title safe areas on HDTVs.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
King changes are good pretty much across the board.

Like Oddball throwing, hate autopickup. That you can't see the Oddball carrier's callsign (and this goes for CTF as well) is fucking maddening and should never have shipped.

Both have problems finding maps that work really well with the gametype. Haven works for both, so each have a solid entry, but KOTH Ragnarok or Oddball Complex are things that have no business existing but do because, well, Halo playlist management. Thing is, I don't think either of the two can carry their own playlist specifically because of this (well, and because the population is still pretty pathetic even now that one of them got axed). There just are not enough maps for them to maintain independence.

I think my CTF issues are pretty well documented at this point. I don't think it achieves its goals very well and is a pretty big misstep as a whole.
Yeah, you summed up my thoughts to the tee.

edit: forgot to add, I mentioned this a while back, but Oddball would be GOAT if there was an "I'm open!" button that notified the carrier where a teammate was. That and a designated catch button. Would be great for Grifball as well.
That's a really good idea!

zap

Is there a general consensus on the quality of the revamped gametypes?

I don't like CTF at all, but I'm enjoying the new Oddball and I feel that KoTH is the best it's ever been.

P.S. Karl, I'll be uploading your Countdown shenanigans tomorrow. Been super busy the last couple of days. Got the clip on my Xbox ready to cap tomorrow afternoon.

edit: forgot to add, I mentioned this a while back, but Oddball would be GOAT if there was an "I'm open!" button that notified the carrier where a teammate was. That and a designated catch button. Would be great for Grifball as well.

Halo 4 is already running out of buttons - I wonder if we'll get any more with the 720...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halo 4 is already running out of buttons - I wonder if we'll get any more with the 720...
I wouldn't mind two more "secondary" face buttons. Similar to the black and white buttons on the OG Xbox. I loved having six face buttons back in the N64 days.

King changes are good pretty much across the board.

Like Oddball throwing, hate autopickup. That you can't see the Oddball carrier's callsign (and this goes for CTF as well) is fucking maddening and should never have shipped.

Both have problems finding maps that work really well with the gametype. Haven works for both, so each have a solid entry, but KOTH Ragnarok or Oddball Complex are things that have no business existing but do because, well, Halo playlist management. Thing is, I don't think either of the two can carry their own playlist specifically because of this (well, and because the population is still pretty pathetic even now that one of them got axed). There just are not enough maps for them to maintain independence.

I think my CTF issues are pretty well documented at this point. I don't think it achieves its goals very well and is a pretty big misstep as a whole.

CTF sucks and it has sucked since they changed the physics in Halo 3. Fun > realism

Right now CTF just serves as a 20 minute time waster. 6 minutes between joining/ending games and the rest actually playing (sometimes barely) ;\ There's little to no competitive drive and sandbagging is not as fun as it used to be..

zap

I wouldn't mind two more "secondary" face buttons. Similar to the black and white buttons on the OG Xbox. I loved having six face buttons back in the N64 days.

Yeah I was thinking about the black and white buttons. They are perfect for small stuff like changing nades or a 'call for oddball' button.

Madness

CTF sucks and it has sucked since they changed the physics in Halo 3. Fun > realism

Right now CTF just serves as a 20 minute time waster. 6 minutes between joining/ending games and the rest actually playing (sometimes barely) ;\ There's little to no competitive drive and sandbagging is not as fun as it used to be..

In Halo 4, CTF feels like another slayer gametype. It's no longer about team play, map control, stealth. It's either one team camping back trying to rack up kills or it's basically team slayer with flags.

With randoms it's no fun at all. Auto-pickup is a feature I don't like either. When the game was new, I remember protecting my buddy as he is making his run back, and I was staying a bit back and fending off attackers. He died, and because I was close, the flag magnetized to me somehow and I was stuck with the flag and died because I could only use magnum.

Most games of CTF I've found are either straight out runs to get the flag. No one really cares if your flag is taken because there is little chance you could get it back. Stealth is the biggest thing I feel that is missing.

Madness

I would actually prefer Cragmire over Exile and Vortex.

With personal ordnance and vehicles like the Gauss Warthog, tank, banshee, Exile is pretty much Cragmire.

Each match is like a BTB heavies. Even haven, my friend had the ammo perk equipped in infinity slayer, he gets a fuel rod cannon with nearly 15 shots. I feel personal ordnance over everything else is the biggest hindrance to Halo 4.

There was a reason only certain weapons were chosen for certain maps and placed at key areas. It facilitated controlled combat, key battles etc. Now it's one big random power weapon crapshoot.

Personal ordnance is why I can't play more than 5 matches a day before I get frustrated. I'm sure someone will say that now people don't have to feel left out of the power weapons, or betray someone to take yours etc. But everyone always had equal chance to get those weapons. If I wanted rockets, I made sure I made a dash for them first or remembered to keep checking if they respawn. I shouldn't be able to just sit back, get a few assists and call in one of my own.

I never thought I'd say this in the reach days, but I'm looking forward to forge maps being in matchmaking.

I still can't believe they thought the number of symmetrical maps for 4v4 they shipped with was acceptable.

I never thought I'd say this in the reach days, but I'm looking forward to forge maps being in matchmaking.I still can't believe they thought the number of symmetrical maps for 4v4 they shipped with was acceptable.

Agreed. I'm all for creative new maps...but I'm really hoping they put in one of the really nice classic remakes I've seen of Lockout or The Pit.

Gazzawa

Agreed. I'm all for creative new maps...but I'm really hoping they put in one of the really nice classic remakes I've seen of Lockout or The Pit.

I dunno about that. Valhalla was ruined with the new sandbox. The Pit with AAs wouldnt be the same. Jetpack would wreck the flow. I don't know about lockout.

IHaveIce

Banned

Like Gazzawa already said, these maps don't work too well with AAs.. you we would need a forge playlist without AAs.. not going to happen

also Lockout with Boltshot... YEAAAH

Thanks for all the feedback on The Pit and Lockout. I see all of your points. I still have enjoyed playing these maps in custom games despite all of the drawbacks. By the way, none of my friends have used jetpack on these maps so I'm sure that made it more enjoyable for me.

This thread has hit the shitter officially, jesus christ.

MLG and default objective are two very different styles of Halo, one shouldnt exist over the other.

Kyle, just make a thread for speedruns and hot girl gifs already

FyreWulff

As a nitpick, I don't know why the Infinity is hiding off to the side of the screen on Halo 4's main menu. You only see it when you select one of the non-Campaign options before it zooms into the room with.. a hologram of the Infinity.

nt8zAl.jpg

Selecting campaign immediately pops you into it's UI but the scene in the background only shifts downwards.

Would have made more sense to either have it entirely be the holo-room (and add another spot in the infinity hologram for Campaign) or always have the Infinity on-screen and put all the menu items on one screen. The screen transition almost feels like a vestigial holdover, and a waste of time/RAM to load up that entire ship to only use it for a quick transition animation. Versus Bungie's design for Reach which I felt was an intentional attempt to optimize their mainmenu and give it a lower memory footprint.

It also had all the feature selections on one screen.

kOM04l.jpg

edit: i can't spel

Madness

That was something I really liked about Reach's UI... It changed depending on what level you last played in the campaign.

For example, I remember I stopped my legendary run after the New Alexandria pilot level and whenever I would get past the initial Reach screen, it would show a slightly moving falcon and have sounds from the level. I remember lurking the HaloGAF threads pre-H4 launch and a few people said that the Reach UI was tired, and that H4 looks amazing. And look at the difference.

Reach UI could have been a bit better if they didn't have static forge map images, included a bit more player information besides just their huge spartan. I have no doubts though that Dave Candland will knock it out of the park for Destiny.

As a nitpick, I don't know why the Infinity is hiding off to the side of the screen on Halo 4's main menu. You only see it when you select one of the non-Campaign options before it zooms into the room with.. a hologram of the Infinity.

http://i.imgur.com/nt8zAl.jpg[IMG]

Selecting campaign immediately pops you into it's UI but the scene in the background only shifts downwards.

Would have made more sense to either have it entirely be the holo-room (and add another spot in the infinity hologram for Campaign) or always have the Infinity on-screen and put all the menu items on one screen. The screen transition almost feels like a vestigial holdover, and a waste of time/RAM to load up that entire ship to only use it for a quick transition animation. Versus Bungie's design for Reach which I felt was an intentional attempt to optimize their mainmenu and give it a lower memory footprint.

It also had all the feature selections on one screen.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kOM04l.jpg[IMG]

edit: i can't spel[/QUOTE]

It's all about immersion. 343 wants the War Games to feel like a simulation (part of the story) so in order to do anything for the War Games simulation, you have to enter the Infinity and begin your experience of Forge, MM, and whatnot. The Campaign being in the Infinity wouldn't make sense with it taking place on Requiem.

I think it's alright because I like looking at the space background in the main menu and the Infinity transition (it's only once, I never go out of War Games). The Reach UI is definitely the best in the series though and the main menu pic changing up after each mission was nice.

I don't really have a problem with the layout of the Halo 4 UI, I just hate the baseball cards and how you can't save clips from Theater (seriously, WTF?). If those were fixed, I'll be perfectly content.

With all that awesome Sparth artwork, it's actually a damn shame they did not change up the UI backround.

The main menu background, the one with Requiem in the background and the debris in the foreground, is awesome, but I agree it would've been cool if Sparth's concept art was used.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Team Hardcore
-Preset loadouts only, no DMR or AAs
-Forge remakes+Haven
-4v4 real objective, classic CTF included

343 pls

Intriguing.
But there's still the loadout problem, unless the crystal ball has news on that front. DMR/Camo/Boltshot on a Lockout remake would be atrocious.

My biggest issue with the game right now is custom loadouts. If 343 wants to go batshit crazy with Halo and turn it into Fiesta-time all the time, then keep it all confined to Infinity gametypes and let the rest of us have some semblance of normalcy compared with the previous non-Reach Halos.

- Get rid of personal loadouts, make standards that would appeal to the majority of players outside of Infinity. These would only include the more passive AA's like Thruster, Hologram, and dare I say it, Hardlight Shield. Remove the DMR from loadouts and make it a map pickup. Since I'm dreaming here, give everyone the Stability mod to counteract the horrible flinch system.

- Global Ordnance is completely fine with the waypoints and drop sounds, but make them consistent with the types of weapons dropped. Restrict Binary Rifle to Infinity gametypes only.

- add regular weapon spawns back to the maps. There was absolutely no good reason to remove regular weapon drops, other than to give another reason for the perks. Really poor decision. People would have far fewer problems with the Boltshot and Plasma Pistol if they were confined to on-the-map pickups like they should have always been.

- bring back powerups, and even add some of the more detrimental AA's as pickups only. MLG has handled this well in the past, so there is no reason the fine folks at 343 can't implement this.

JB1981

I think the art direction is generally fantastic in this game but I hate the Spartan models. Playing the game a second time on Legendary and the game is just beautiful.

Top Bottom