• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

I don't think loadouts are the issue so much as adding broken shit to them is. For example, it we were stuck with something like this:

Primaries - BR, AR, Storm Rifle, Brute Plasma Rifle, Light Rifle, Suppressor
Secondaries - Pistol, Silenced SMG, Plasma Rifle, Boltshot (charged shot eats an entire clip and can only drain shields, charge causes a noticeable lens flare to enemies)
Grenades - Frags x2, Pulse x2, Plasma x1
Armor Abilities - Hologram, Thruster, Double Jump, Jackal Shield, Auto Turret, Nerfed Regen Field

I don't think it would be anywhere near as bad as it is now. On another note, I'm kind of surprised they haven't experimented with button combos yet to clear up some of the default actions cluttering up the controller. Let's say for all intents and purposes Halo 5 uses a modified armor ability function that lets you cycle through HUD modes/radars with the horizontal DPad and armor abilities with the vertical DPad buttons. However, holding the action button and using the DPad will give you different commands per gametype.

Campaign: Order marines around
Oddball: I'm Open! / Don't throw here! / Cover me! / Heads up! (Crosshairs must be trained on your ally to do this)
Slayer: Personal Ordnance

And so on and so forth. Hell, if you really wanted to, holding down the "switch grenades" button and using the DPad could let you switch to a specific type provided you had four options again.

I don't think loadouts are the issue so much as adding broken shit to them is. For example, it we were stuck with something like this:

Primaries - BR, AR, Storm Rifle, Brute Plasma Rifle, Light Rifle, Suppressor
Secondaries - Pistol, Silenced SMG, Plasma Rifle, Boltshot (charged shot eats an entire clip and can only drain shields, charge causes a noticeable lens flare to enemies)
Grenades - Frags x2, Pulse x2, Plasma x1
Armor Abilities - Hologram, Thruster, Double Jump, Jackal Shield, Auto Turret, Nerfed Regen Field

I don't think it would be anywhere near as bad as it is now. On another note, I'm kind of surprised they haven't experimented with button combos yet to clear up some of the default actions cluttering up the controller. Let's say for all intents and purposes Halo 5 uses a modified armor ability function that lets you cycle through HUD modes/radars with the horizontal DPad and armor abilities with the vertical DPad buttons. However, holding the action button and using the DPad will give you different commands per gametype.

Campaign: Order marines around
Oddball: I'm Open! / Don't throw here! / Cover me! / Heads up! (Crosshairs must be trained on your ally to do this)
Slayer: Personal Ordnance

And so on and so forth. Hell, if you really wanted to, holding down the "switch grenades" button and using the DPad could let you switch to a specific type provided you had four options again.

Im not sure you know what your talking about...

Shadders

Cheeky request, but does anyone have a Specializations code going spare? My friend had his house broken in to and had a load of games stolen, they took the box for his Halo 4 LE, fortunately the game disc was in the console which they didn't take, but he hadn't entered the Spec code.

I know they're being released over the next month or so anyway, but thought I'd ask if anyone had a code they had no use for.

Overdoziz

Banned
That moment when you get hit in the back while turning a corner, and you quickly go back around the corner so you can get a couple of shots in while he's throwing a grenade and you win the fight.

That moment when you grab the flag and have a perfect flag run through Rocket spawn on MLG The Pit.

That moment when you're knocked out of scope in a long range fight, but you fight your way back by zooming back in real quick and forcing him out of scope every time he shoots and you end up winning.

That moment when you throw a grenade at someone's feet the moment they turn the corner and you finish him off with a single headshot as the grenade explodes.

That moment when you get someone one-shot, he gets into cover and you predict his movement perfectly allowing you to finish him off with a single headshot.

That moment when you drop down from a platform and stand still only for your opponent to drop down too and look the other way thinking you moved to underneath the platform, making for an easy assassination.

That moment when you get a perfect 3/4/5 shot.

Halo

Tawpgun

It's a wish list, those are from Halo 2.

If you give people the tools that abuse a game, they will flock to it like flies on fresh shit.

My favorite was that before the game came out, when some of us were pointing out these problems people here were saying that not everyone was gonna be using plasma pistols and plasma nades in BTB and not everyone was gonna have a boltshot secondary.

lol

LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

343 help please

Fotos

My favorite was that before the game came out, when some of us were pointing out these problems people here were saying that not everyone was gonna be using plasma pistols and plasma nades in BTB and not everyone was gonna have a boltshot secondary.

lol

LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

343 help please

:(

That moment when you get hit in the back while turning a corner, and you quickly go back around the corner so you can get a couple of shots in while he's throwing a grenade and you win the fight.

That moment when you grab the flag and have a perfect flag run through Rocket spawn on MLG The Pit.

That moment when you're knocked out of scope in a long range fight, but you fight your way back by zooming back in real quick and forcing him out of scope every time he shoots and you end up winning.

That moment when you throw a grenade at someone's feet the moment they turn the corner and you finish him off with a single headshot as the grenade explodes.

That moment when you get someone one-shot, he gets into cover and you predict his movement perfectly allowing you to finish him off with a single headshot.

That moment when you drop down from a platform and stand still only for your opponent to drop down too and look the other way thinking you moved to underneath the platform, making for an easy assassination.

That moment when you get a perfect 3/4/5 shot.

Halo

That moment when you're losing a game and a binary rifle falls randomly falls next to you.

Halo 4

The moment when someone talks about Halo 4 and DOESN'T EXAGGERATE THE SHORTCOMINGS.

HaloGAF

This actually happened to me before in a couple of games of Regicide. One game in particular I had joined the game late, and was in 3rd or 4th place when the Binary literally fell right in front of me. I ended up getting 2 kills with it but it was too late and only came in second.

I played some Halo 4 last night after a several weeks' hiatus - ordnance now has an orange glowing indicator on the ground below where it drops. When did they add that?

IHaveIce

Banned
Wu has a signal when someone is critizising Halo 4.

I have the feeling all last posts from you were of this kind.

I hope the forge playlist has some decent maps, maybe they will get me back into the game

Tawpgun

The moment when someone talks about Halo 4 and DOESN'T EXAGGERATE THE SHORTCOMINGS.

HaloGAF

I don't think what he posted was exxagerating a shortcoming. It's something that happens in the game due to the nature of the global ordnance system. Sure it doesn't happen every game, but I have had games that have been decided on a lucky drop.

Unless you didn't say this to him and just to Halogaf in general.

I think most people here point out the games issues, its just a matter of how much they let Halo 4s downfalls affect them.

I played some Halo 4 last night after a several weeks' hiatus - ordnance now has an orange glowing indicator on the ground below where it drops. When did they add that?

Since Launch. It all depends on host or connection or something. Connection issues really screw up the ordnance system also. You'll have HUD icons not appearing, showing the wrong weapon, hud icons not disappearing....

That moment when 343 had 5 years to make simple features work that should have been working day one but still are not working more than two months after the launch of the game.

Halo 4

I hope the forge playlist has some decent maps, maybe they will get me back into the game

It's a good thing he's not following me on Twitter, then. Every time I play the game I find something new to criticize.

Some excerpts:

I just saw a Hunter smack away an incoming rocket. 343 Industries: "Sucks you can't record that, doesn't it?"

343 Industries: "You think Crawlers are annoying? Wait 'til you see our Crawlers with Binary Rifles!"

343 Industries: "Hey, you know how Halo was about fine-tuned encounters without spawn waves? Spartan Ops."

I still enjoy the game.

That moment when 343 had 5 years to make simple features work that should have been working day one but still are not working more than two months after the launch of the game.

Halo 4

I blame the publisher for requiring the game to be ready for holiday sales. If Halo 4 would have been released in March it would probably be much less buggy and more complete.

Rev3rb

Halo 4

That moment when you realize this is 343's first game as a studio and almost all the people that were hired there have never worked together before.

Halo 4

It needs some work, but it's not bad guys

Fuchsdh

It's not that perfect, but it is better than the XP level up system.
Not arguing that, the XP is progression only and not ranking, just seems like far more tiers than you need considering you have even more subtiers to tell you where you are.

While i see why people get annoyed with MMR in Starcraft II it focuses more on just performing well.

IHaveIce

Banned
It's a good thing he's not following me on Twitter, then. Every time I play the game I find something new to criticize.

Some excerpts:

I still enjoy the game.

lol the Hunter one already got me !

Oh I just realised today is Bulletin day isn't it.
They told us last week the plan for the next weeks matchmaking changes.. so what INTERSTING could be left?

The TU won't be discussed I think

I blame the publisher for requiring the game to be ready for holiday sales. If Halo 4 would have been released in March it would probably be much less buggy and more complete.

Yeah and if they gave kids more time to write essays on the SAT they would get better essays. Bungie had deadlines too. Every student and employee understands deadlines. Thing is Bungie only had 3 years to make H2, H3, and Reach; 343 had 4-5 and they had all of Bungie's code to work with as well. Not to mention the fact that a large chunk of the game was outsourced.

Louis Wu

Nah - I have plenty of problems of my own with the game. I read this thread 3 or 4 times a day, and sometimes after 3+ solid pages of bitching, I feel the need to call out whatever post pushed my eyerolls so far I was looking at my own brain.

I don't think what he posted was exxagerating a shortcoming. It's something that happens in the game due to the nature of the global ordnance system. Sure it doesn't happen every game, but I have had games that have been decided on a lucky drop.
Games? Really? How many games?

Because I can't think of more than one or two, myself (out of more than 500). It's way rarer than, say, a game where nobody on my team is willing to work together to bring that Gauss Hog down, or where two people are fighting over the Mantis, so that the other team has no problem at all destroying it.

My point was that lucky ordnance drops do not define the Halo 4 experience - which is what his post suggested.

It's seriously frustrating reading all the hyperbole here, because I think it masks the REAL discussion that could be had about the shortcomings of the game. But maybe nobody who's bitching is actually PLAYING any more, so that discussion is moot. Whatever.

I'll still come here for TheOddOne's Sparth updates, because I don't bother reading Twitter. :)

TheOddOne

Not arguing that, the XP is progression only and not ranking, just seems like far more tiers than you need considering you have even more subtiers to tell you where you are.

While i see why people get annoyed with MMR in Starcraft II it focuses more on just performing well.
Oh, I see.

Overdoziz

Banned
Nah - I have plenty of problems of my own with the game. I read this thread 3 or 4 times a day, and sometimes after 3+ solid pages of bitching, I feel the need to call out whatever post pushed my eyerolls so far I was looking at my own brain.

Because I can't think of more than one or two, myself (out of more than 500). It's way rarer than, say, a game where nobody on my team is willing to work together to bring that Gauss Hog down, or where two people are fighting over the Mantis, so that the other team has no problem at all destroying it.

My point was that lucky ordnance drops do not define the Halo 4 experience - which is what his post suggested.

It's seriously frustrating reading all the hyperbole here, because I think it masks the REAL discussion that could be had about the shortcomings of the game. But maybe nobody who's bitching is actually PLAYING any more, so that discussion is moot. Whatever.

I'll still come here for TheOddOne's Sparth updates, because I don't bother reading Twitter. :)
RIP Halo

Rev3rb

But you run halo.bungie.org, I thought that meant you only ran a website for the good games.

the-very-best-of-the-futurama-fry-meme.jpg

Fuck, I'm an idiot about the whole brute/plasma rifle thing :lol completely forgot about the Carbine. In reality there'd probably be three automatics in the Covenant arsenal; the Storm Rifle is pretty much everything a Brute Plasma Rifle should be in the first place, maybe just add some slowdown like the CE Plasma Rifle. The Plasma Rifle would be the CE one, just with bigger "globs" of plasma to better distinguish it among projectiles. The third automatic would be a mid-tier ordnance weapon, the Needler, on par with the SAW and Sentinel Beam.

GrizzNKev

Banned

I bitch about the game and agree with almost every complaint and I still play it.

Fuchsdh

Oh, I see.
Still think its better than a 1-50 as its based on your relative skill rather than feeling more like an absolute skill.

I don't see how you could get ranked in anything beyond arranged team x v x's as have it mean that much though. Halo has a far harder job relating to giving meaningful ranks.

IHaveIce

Banned

Don't get me wrong it isn't a bad thing. Hope I didn't offend you or something.

It keeps the balance !

Is this all you do now?

Depends on the day. 343 had an innumerable amount of people complaining about Halo: Reach so they decided to release another game that was like Halo: Reach. It just doesn't make any sense. The game is no longer Halo but some sort of watered down COD/Halo hybrid not to mention the fact that the game is still broken 2 months after launch. The whole marketing campaign for this game and dlc was a PR fiasco. Now, 2 months after launch we get half of an apology. It is too little, too late. I really like this franchise and hate to see it in such a sorry state.

I just want a fun Halo game again like the first three...apparently that is too much to ask for.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Or possibly you have a bat signal for when a post isn't criticizing Halo 4?

metzger203

Also, Sam avatar = win. What movie is that?

Event Horizon I believe. Crazy movie, definitely worth checking out.

Every character in ODST was terrible. Writing and characterization low point of the series by a landslide.

I'm gonna have to agree on the writing. That first cutscene where you're dropping in to New Mombasa is pretty sick, but when the one guy said "Navy got it's BUTT kicked!", it really took me out of the moment. It's an M-rated game; why didn't he just say "ass"? I'm pretty sure I've heard marines in previous Halo games shout "kick ass!" before. I mean, am I really supposed to believe that an ODST - one of the roughest, toughest soldiers in the UNSC - is going to say "Navy got it's BUTT kicked!"?

Loved this glitch. I remember the first time it happened to me, I had actually flown the banshee into the door myself and when the cutscene triggered, the intertia carried it forward and splattered the chief. Funny how the cutscene keeps playing without him.

Stop talking to him, he literally asked why MLG doesnt have Zanzibar in it...he doesnt understand competitive gameplay.

If I'm not mistaken MLG did actually play 1-Flag Zanzibar during at least one event back in 2005. I'm pretty sure I watched it on VoD.

It's all about immersion. 343 wants the War Games to feel like a simulation (part of the story) so in order to do anything for the War Games simulation, you have to enter the Infinity and begin your experience of Forge, MM, and whatnot. The Campaign being in the Infinity wouldn't make sense with it taking place on Requiem.

I think it's alright because I like looking at the space background in the main menu and the Infinity transition (it's only once, I never go out of War Games). The Reach UI is definitely the best in the series though and the main menu pic changing up after each mission was nice.

I don't see why they put so much emphasis on integrating multiplayer in with the story. Form should follow function, and I feel Halo 4 is guilty of the opposite when it comes to Infinity/War Games. If 343 wants immersion, they should look at Battlefield. One thing I've come to appreciate about the Bad Company series, BF1943, and BF3 is how it really feels like you're in the middle of this all-out war. The sound design, the destructible environments... FIRST PERSON VIEW FROM THE PASSENGER SEAT OF A VEHICLE... it's hard to explain, but Dice does a great job of setting the stage.

Dirtbag

If 343 wants immersion, they should look at Battlefield. One thing I've come to appreciate about the Bad Company series, BF1943, and BF3 is how it really feels like you're in the middle of this all-out war. The sound design, the destructible environments... FIRST PERSON VIEW FROM THE PASSENGER SEAT OF A VEHICLE... it's hard to explain, but Dice does a great job of setting the stage.
More MP suggestions for taking the franchise even further away from what defines it.

Tawpgun

Yes, games.

I can't give you a number but if I'm playing Halo for an hour or two, I can expect one game to be decided on ordnance drops. This goes for both personal and global. It's not always at the end of the game, its shit like, oh this team is up by only 2 kills and are controlling Ring 3 on Abandon, and a rocket launcher spawns on Ring 1 and they nab it up and increase their lead by a shitton because the rocket spawned in the power area of the map that they were ALREADY controlling.

Once again, I hate that some people use the excuse of "Oh well I know this is broken and terrible but it doesn't happen that often so its ok!"

There is some hyperbole here, but overall, especially recently, there have been some solid points. The only reason there's hyperbole is a lot of the issues aren't being addressed or even acknowledged. This leads to frustration because a lot of people, myself included, do big in depth write ups of the games problems that get some agreements, some nitpicking, some disagreements.... Its just so much easier to say "Global Ordnance ruined Halo 4." Because thats the hyperbolic equivalent. The point is made without all the finer details.

Enfinit

lucky ordnance drops do not define the Halo 4 experience - which is what his post suggested.

Yesterday (and you may look in my game history if you'd like), I played two CTF games on Harvest, back to back, one searching solo and one with a friend.

The first game STARTED with only eight players total, and instead of dividing the teams evenly in the pre-game lobby to 4v4, the game began 5 players versus 3. I was on the team with only three players. Throughout the entire game, not a single person joined my team, and coupled with my non-communicating teammates (of which I had a mic and was paired with two players who didn't have mics), I went the entire game getting shit on and losing 4-0.

Then my friend joined, and we gave it another go. CTF on Harvest again, and the game managed to start 5v5 like intended. Three of my teammates either lagged out, got booted, or left within the first two minutes of the game, leaving my friend and I in a 2v5 scenario. Again, not a single person joined our team for the duration of the game, and we got destroyed 5-0 after playing a CTF game down three players. CTF had a population of over 6,000 players at the time. These were to games that happened within ten minutes of each other.

But I digress. I shrugged it off and kept playing.

A few games after that, I played yet another game of CTF on Ragnarok with the same friend. We were fortunate enough to play a full game of 5v5, however there was an instance during this game that baffled me. I was near the rock structure that overhangs the rapids in front of red base, when I lost a battle against a red player with a sniper. Immediately after he killed me, and I could see this all unfold in the 10 seconds of my respawn time (I usually immediately hit "X" to close out of the kill cam), he ran towards the open plain behind the mounted machine gun. Almost instantly after he killed me and took three strides forward, an Incineration Cannon came down due to global ordnance right in front of his feet. Literally right in front of his feet, nearly catching him mid-stride. He continued to pick it up and trek back to his base, where he proceeded to guard his flag with a sniper and an incineration cannon. I guess it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time, right?

If I were a new player who didn't know any better, and these things happened to me in the first few games I played, I'd put my controller down and not think about picking Halo up again. Is this the experience 343i wants players to have?

These three examples, is this what defines the Halo 4 experience? Or are you gong to call me out for identifying key mistakes, of which over two months after release, have yet to be addressed? I didn't become angry and rage quit the game, I'm not going to stop playing it, and you can claim that I'm "bitching" about the game all you want (feel free to go in my game history, I'll even pull the games I cited in my examples for you), however it's instances like these that just baffle me. I played ~7 games yesterday, and something... questionable, for lack of a better word, happened in nearly half of them. This is not opinion. This is fact. Is everyone that has ever posted a negative comment in this thread simply exaggerating the problems in Halo 4 for the sake of drama, or are you just not noticing these things when they happen to you in matchmaking? Which one is more likely?

-----

In a completely unrelated topic, a few months ago before Halo 4's launch, I made a comment in one of the earlier OT's that someone's gamertag I came across online contained potential spoilers for Halo 4, and I was saddened by the fact that I may have had the game's ending spoiled for me. You made the argument that this is impossible, for how can I have the game spoiled when I don't know what would happen, and how can someone spoil the game in fifteen characters.

The gamertag I came across was "CortanaDies". Although I didn't know the end of Halo 4 until I played it, I went into the game with a sense of expecting this to happen - something that slightly did damper the ending for me. I just wanted to point out, that although you claimed I was exaggerating and this realistically wouldn't happen, it most certainly could and it certainly did.

Thanks for your time.

How in the world do you have the energy to keep complaining about a game you don't play?

Reagan's BR reminds me of the the religious conservative wife of the mayor in Rock of Ages, who hates rocker Stacee Jaxx with a passion and endlessly campaigns against him, but secretly wants to have sex with him.

Top Bottom