• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

HaloGAF smh

"Halo 4 soundtrack sucks"
Halo 4 OST 2 announced "fuck yea"

We want more music to complain about, duh. :lol

Also, I just had a really obvious epiphany. What if the ODST SMG came back as a loadout weapon and the Assault Rifle got removed from loadouts, instead getting a buff and replacing the SAW? Now you've got a precision automatic weapon for the more skillful ODST wannabes and Chief's trademark weapon is actually strong enough to justify carrying around all the time.

Mabef

Banned
I seem to remember H4's soundtrack being based a lot more on textures rather than melodies, a la Marty. The few solos that I remember hearing during the game were rejiggers of classic Halo themes.

It's been a while so I may be misremembering, but that kind of says something about the music too.

Just released my first Beyond Top 5. So much work went into this one.
Dunno if anyone's said this already, but you need some cheesy sfx for when the numbers fly by.

Toa TAK

Banned
Hive Minds are really scary.

Hive_mind.JPG

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah if that Gravemind was schizophrenic.

Who says it is not? Come on, the thing has absorbed trilliong of inviduals... and speaks in poetic way. And calls itself Gravemind. I doubt everything's right with it.
Also, since it is a hivemind of sorts, it would be apt, hmm, name for HaloGAF, better than mere "hivemind".

Toa TAK

Banned
Who says it is not? Come on, the thing has absorbed trilliong of inviduals... and speaks in poetic way. And calls itself Gravemind. I doubt everything's right with it.
Also, since it is a hivemind of sorts, it would be apt, hmm, name for HaloGAF, better than mere "hivemind".

I don't think it will catch on.

The HaloGAF Gravemind?

ElRenoRaven

That's right. We're unique.

lol.

halo2_gravemind--article_image.jpg

You know I think Gravemind as a character design got a lot of shit. That scene alone was awesome I think. Just seeing how this huge mass having MC and Arby in his grasps really was cool. God I really would kill just to see what halo 2 would look like given the Anniversary treatment. Other then some graphical glitches, texture pop in, and npcs looking fatter in it, the game looked amazing. Dear I say I liked the look of it more then 343's recent game.

You know I think Gravemind as a character design got a lot of shit. That scene alone was awesome I think. Just seeing how this huge mass having MC and Arby in his grasps really was cool. God I really would kill just to see what halo 2 would look like given the Anniversary treatment. Other then some graphical glitches, texture pop in, and npcs looking fatter in it, the game looked amazing. Dear I say I liked the look of it more then 343's recent game.

CEA Johnson alone looked fucking amazing. It was a beautiful art style and I'd be completely on board if they tried to maintain consistency with it in another Anniversary edition.

ElRenoRaven

Hmmm.

I prefer him in Halo 2 and 3 and ODST as is. They look like two different people...

I do agree with you on Johnson. I think the halo 3 model was the best Johnson. Course I do think the Halo Anniversary model does still look like Johnson but just was a bit weird but all the models in Anniversary looked weird. I think that was due to the way the new graphics worked.

Woorloog

Banned
If CEA didn't nail anything, it was facial animations. Rest of the game looked damn good though.

But 343i/Sabre didn't touch those. Didn't Halo CE NPCs have only two bones in head? One for the head, one for the jaw... Can't do much with those.

I do agree with you on Johnson. I think the halo 3 model was the best Johnson. Course I do think the Halo Anniversary model does still look like Johnson but just was a bit weird but all the models in Anniversary looked weird. I think that was due to the way the new graphics worked.

Halo 3 Johnson was too light-skinned compared to Halo 2 version (at least in the manual, in some cutscenes due to lighting), otherwise the model was good. Very minor thing really but something that always bothered me. Keeping the skin shade same couldn't have been that hard, right?

ElRenoRaven

But 343i/Sabre didn't touch those. Didn't Halo CE NPCs have only two bones in head? One for the head, one for the jaw... Can't do much with those.

Halo 3 Johnson was too light-skinned compared to Halo 2 version (at least in the manual, in some cutscenes due to lighting), otherwise the model was good. Very minor thing really but something that always bothered me. Keeping the skin shade same couldn't have been that hard, right?

He seemed fine too me. I didn't think he was that light skinned. I'm currently replaying the series again so I will pay closer attention when I get to 3.

FyreWulff

But 343i/Sabre didn't touch those. Didn't Halo CE NPCs have only two bones in head? One for the head, one for the jaw... Can't do much with those

The CEA versions of the cutscenes are fully animated with bipeds ported from 3/ODST/Reach. Not very well, though. Constantly out of sync and a bit janky

Woorloog

Banned
He seemed fine too me. I didn't think he was that light skinned. I'm currently replaying the series again so I will pay closer attention when I get to 3.

It wasn't a big difference, but noticeable to my eyes anyway. I'm picky about consistency... well, at least i pretend i'm. There's a ton of stuff i don't ever bother noticing or caring about...

The CEA versions of the cutscenes are fully animated with bipeds ported from 3/ODST/Reach. Not very well, though. Constantly out of sync and a bit janky

Huh. You learn something new every day.
All that bothered me was how the game took a few seconds to load cutscenes, cutting music for a moment, and how the Chief's arms were very awkward always.

EDIT Holy shit, epiphany moment: Reach didn't have Johnson in campaign.

ElRenoRaven

Speaking of using Halo 3/ODST/Reach models that was one thing that somewhat annoyed me in a few places. Tank for example. Instead of closing up the spot where they added the turret in those games they just removed it and left a black hole there. Looked really awful.

FyreWulff

Speaking of using Halo 3/ODST/Reach models that was one thing that somewhat annoyed me in a few places. Tank for example. Instead of closing up the spot where they added the turret in those games they just removed it and left a black hole there. Looked really awful.

I wonder if a Halo 2 remake would use Halo 3 Cortana or double retcon her to the Halo 4 model

Top Bottom