• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Pull a Metroid Prime and have Davidge do the ambient campaign music.

Kazuma Jinnouchi and How to Destroy Angels do campaign's primary melodies.

Daft Punk and Knife Party collab for the Infinity Suite.

Danny Eflman for Spartan Ops.

Sai-kun

Banned
Oh, gotta say one of the things I'm most disappointed with in the game:

The time-is-almost-up or team-nearing-victory music is gone (or very, very quiet). When I first heard it at PAX, I think that how much I loved the in-game music was one of the first things I mentioned to BS angel. It was very cool, and very appropriate. It gave me just that little bit of extra 'oomph' when I was playing. When I was playing the final copy, I was pretty sad to see it not present at all.

I don't remember seeing it mentioned, they added a kind of electricity damagey thing in grifball to stand in for the explosion. It's an improvement.

The Halo 4 OST was good, but it wasn't unique. Marty's music stood out from the crowd while Davidge's blends in. I still liked it though.

Nebula

The time-is-almost-up or team-nearing-victory music is gone (or very, very quiet). When I first heard it at PAX, I think that how much I loved the in-game music was one of the first things I mentioned to BS angel. It was very cool, and very appropriate. It gave me just that little bit of extra 'oomph' when I was playing. When I was playing the final copy, I was pretty sad to see it not present at all.

I've never really been a fan of in match music. It normally overpowers game noise or is usually just distracting. I also like to listen to my own music a lot of the time. If I happen to not feel in the mood to hear music, and the in match music plays, I get annoyed by it.

Note to 343: More in depth sound options in Halo 5.

Hm. Then what could they possibly want me to do? They asked me to bring my workout clothes. And they're going to strap something to my arm.

Sounds fun! Guessing it will be Kinext related.

Kazuma Jinnouchi works at 343i. He did a lot of the Halo-like pieces of the OST like the credits music.
That's great to hear. Did not know that.

Huh? But... it IS there!

Or maybe I'm confusing something here. But there is match music, definitely. Not sure about the actual triggers though.

The Halo 4 OST was good, but it wasn't unique. Marty's music stood out from the crowd while Davidge's blends in. I still liked it though.
I'm a huge fan of Marty's work, but I cannot really agree with this. I think I know what you're getting at, and it might have to do with the fact that Marty has scored 5 Halo games so far whereas Davidge still has to flesh out his identity with Halo (if he returns as the composer, that is). Still, his work seems unique and yet, for the most part, appropriate for Halo to me.

Fuchsdh

That's great to hear. Did not know that.

Huh? But... it IS there!

Or maybe I'm confusing something here. But there is match music, definitely. Not sure about the actual triggers though.
I think it's at the perfect volume for me. Wouldn't want it louder, but it definitely adds some drama.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 4's OST is excellent. Even better if compared to lackluster Reach OST.
That said, its use in-game is kinda weak at times... but i don't mind, the track Arrival makes up for everything.
The only thing i don't like is lack of Never Forget/Unforgotten remake on the OST.

Ramirez

LOL get shit on

For real though, I don't even remember you back then. I just remember Ram thought I called him stupid or something. Turns out he was actually stupid for thinking I was trying to call him stupid. LOLZ

Hey, fuck you buddy.

I hate the idea of music in multiplayer matches.

There is something called 'my own music collection' and I like to listen to it. When that idiotic Halo music comes on during my playlists, it just sounds like NOISE.

yeeaaahhhh...it's there. And all it does is make me think I'm hearing footsteps if I don't have my headphones at a higher volume. IMO the announcer is plenty encouragement, leave the music out except match start and victory/defeat/tie.

hey DestinyGAF I just saw this on best buy's website. no idea if anything useful will come of it, but you never know.

6CjBBSy.png

hey DestinyGAF I just saw this on best buy's website. no idea if anything useful will come of it, but you never know.

6CjBBSy.png

So is there anything new you can tell us about Destiny?

Bungie: "Destiny is a world full of wonders where anything is possible...with friends! More later! *wink* *wink*. Pre-order in the meantime at your local Best Buy!"

Madness

I listen to Halo 4's OST while working out.

I am a BEAST thanks to Neil and his music.

Do the French even lift bro?

Aside, I don't know, I think davidge's music is a great OST that is great on YouTube or your mp3 player but the game is the primary judgment. And it's poor and ultinately forgettable. I've been through campaign twice, while there are nice parts, I couldn't tell you this was a song from so and so level.

Even with Reach, I could pinpoint exactly what part of the level or what was happening when the music is playing. And it's been over 3 years since I beat Reach.

Ultimately, I hope the next game brings a bit more classic halo to the mix.

But, despite all that, most of the OST is absolutely amazing and something special.
117, Arrival, Revival and Green and Blue are four top-tier tracks back to back, and there's still tons more that I enjoy a lot - both on-disc and only ingame.

Oh, and they have to keep collaborating with the guy responsible for 117. He is fantastic as well.

117 and Green and blue were the only tracks that really had some Halo vibes in the entire OST for me, arrival was refreshing along with To galaxy.
I mean, why not have monks for the menu? What possible reason was there for that tribal wailing that didn't fit and came out of nowhere? Was that another attempt at making Halo your own, do you honestly think the monks were worse? They used the monks for the Halo 4 reveal trailer because they know it represents halo, so why was it missing in release?

I was really hyped when I heard the new chanting (and Belly of the beast) in the reveal trailer, it sounded really cool, too bad it didnt make it in the final game =S

Yeah, I hate the Halo 4 score.

It's great music. But it's not Halo. Like, wtf is that middle-eastern theme on the title screen?

What, in Reach? That's Swift, Strong, Brave. Marty made that.

The Bulgarian choir found in Halo 4's menu, on the other hand, is part of a larger suite called "Librarian" that only plays in full during the Reclaimer cutscene where Chief gets the story summed up for him.

Conor 419

Banned
Halo 4's music is good, but I don't really think it works well with the Halo series in itself. There is a stark contrast in its style of music compared to that of the original trilogy.

Madness

If you actually listen to the track, I'd say 80% of the songs sound like they belong in Halo.

That's just it, the game is the way to experience the music. It's one thing listening to it on mp3 players or on your home audio speakers etc. and then it's another to experience it in game, and listen to it there.

You could technically have any type of score sound like it belongs in Halo, but it's another to make it fit in the game.

If we look at movies, look at John Williams' scores. If you listen to them all, they really change from what you hear in the movies he works. But everyone remembers seeing Vader and hearing the imperial March, or listening to duel of the fates play during the qui-gon and obi-wan duel with maul.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 4's music is good, but I don't really think it works well with the Halo series in itself. There is a stark contrast in its style of music compared to that of the original trilogy.

So? The game's style is rather different. So the new music fits the new direction.

Am i really only one who doesn't miss "original" Halo music? I don't miss it because any more of it would be just more of the same. Heard enough of that in Halo 3.

Yeah I agree, you just gotta have a different mindset and think of 343's Halo as more sci-fi action over the mysterious wonder from the past IMO.

Feels more like Mass Effect for example.

I think the Halo 4 OST is fantastic, with two caveats:
1.) It isn't quite as good as Marty's work. (But who can expect that?)
2.) It isn't implemented as smoothly as Marty's was. There are some rough spots. I think this is mostly a result of Marty's unique position within Bungie contrasted with Davidge's more outside role.

I know it isn't a Davidge track, but "117" is easily one of my top ten all-time Halo songs. Possibly top five.

I think the Halo 4 OST is fantastic, with two caveats:
1.) It isn't quite as good as Marty's work. (But who can expect that?)
2.) It isn't implemented as smoothly as Marty's was. There are some rough spots. I think this is mostly a result of Marty's unique position within Bungie contrasted with Davidge's more outside role.

I know it isn't a Davidge track, but "117" is easily one of my top ten all-time Halo songs. Possibly top five.

Nemesis, Legacy and Desecration are god-tier.

Green and Blue gets an honorable mention for being Deus Ex meets Shadow of the Colossus.

Tawpgun

I like the OST as a standalone thing.

But its probably because I was raised on Marty's magnificent score that was only refined as the series went on. There's something about the way he does video game scores that makes them very iconic. Maybe its skills brought over from when he used to write jingles.

Maybe its because its poor implementation in the game, maybe its because it wasn't Marty and you could tell somehow... maybe both. But it didn't give me the same feels the old Halo scores did. The warthog run song, the classic theme, walk in the woods, etc. Even the awesome ODST score and decent Reach score.

Only time I ever felt the music come through was a bit during the walk out of the cave on requiem, the requiem temple, and then the trench run and final run up to the Didact.

And the trench run and To Galaxy didact songs were awesome but I couldn't help but feel they sounded like typical big orchestral epic scores. Which sounds great, but its not very halo iconic.

Ghazi

Nemesis, Legacy and Desecration are god-tier.

Green and Blue gets an honorable mention for being Deus Ex meets Shadow of the Colossus.
They actually had some pretty good remixes too. I was thinking about buying the Vinyl copy of the H4 soundtrack, then I remembered my Vinyl player was broken and I had never gotten around to fixing it.

Conor 419

Banned
So? The game's style is rather different. So the new music fits the new direction.

Am i really only one who doesn't miss "original" Halo music? I don't miss it because any more of it would be just more of the same. Heard enough of that in Halo 3.

Games can be different stylistically, and still have music which doesn't feel out of place within the overall series. The Wind Waker and Majora's Mask, for example.

Halo 4's music just seemed to be less emotionally driven, unlike Halo 2's particularly.

Games can be different stylistically, and still have music which doesn't feel out of place within the overall series. The Wind Waker and Majora's Mask, for example.

Halo 4's music just seemed to be less emotionally driven, unlike Halo 2's particularly.

Halo 2's soundtrack didn't age well at all. It'd be nice if it got some orchestrated Davidge polish, because at this point everything sounds particularly low-resolution even when ripped from a CD lossless. About 90% of the tracks can be traced back to existing melodies, but it's all just layered in a variety of ways - this is perhaps most obvious in Outskirts and Metropolis.

I'd say Halo 2's soundtrack was a geometric minimalist painting in a prestige art gallery (thus fitting in and having significant emotional backing even though the work itself could be easily replicated with today's technology) while Davidge's soundtrack was more like a Renaissance-era painting hung up in a strip club buffet.

Conor 419

Banned
Halo 2's soundtrack didn't age well at all. I'd be nice if it got some orchestrated Davidge polish, because at this point everything sounds particularly low-resolution even when ripped from a CD lossless. About 90% of the tracks can be traced back to existing melodies, but it's all just layered in a variety of ways - this is perhaps most obvious in Outskirts and Metropolis.

I'd say Halo 2's soundtrack was a geometric minimalist painting in a prestige art gallery (thus fitting in and having significant emotional backing even though the work itself could be easily replicated with today's technology) while Davidge's soundtrack was more like a Renaissance-era painting hung up in a strip club buffet.

I've just listened to three tracks as a result of just reminding myself of it, I think it has aged beautifully, and to this date I still don't think there's many soundtracks that live up to it.

Top Bottom