• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

TheOddOne

Wat (Credit to HBO).

887_large.jpg

817_large.jpg

Hayabusa

Akai__

What's up with everyones Avatar's? They aren't being displayed at all.

---

Wasn't Hayabusa "discovered" before Halo 4's release? I have a deja vu. :/

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Personally, i've never played a good Pit forge remake. Everyone always feels so "off".

Agreed. I haven't played a good enough Pit remake in Forge either. Would love a proper remake even thought it might not be necessary. Midship is at the top of my request list though.

Fuchsdh

Agreed. I haven't played a good enough Pit remake in Forge either. Would love a proper remake even thought it might not be necessary. Midship is at the top of my request list though.
Okay, I prolly haven't played enough Pit to be that sensitive. But in terms of remakes Midship or any Covenant map makes more sense given the limitations of Forge.

Striker

Midship would be great if there was a playlist that just bumped the base speed and removed sprint.

Instead, you have to rely on the maps that sit between small and medium like Sanctuary, The Pit, and Zealot.

Sidenote but I hope 343 uses Ken Levine's mentality in writing for Halo 5.
The Librarian cutscene is the part where the story gets messed up. You cannot throw so much information to a player in such a short time.

I will use one “story twist” as an example: Prometheans are digitalized Humans? (I am still asking myself how the Chief quickly figures this secret out with the information, the Librarian gives him. He is perfect in every way, I guess. Perfect detective, too.) How could 343i have delivered this message to the player? There are many perfect opportunities to tease and reveal this twist. In the 3rd mission, Cortana is analyzing a data stream of a Promethean knight to get information about it. At this part, Cortana could have made a comment like “This is strange… This information stored here has great resemblances with Humanity’s DNA.” This is the first tease. The second tease would have been in the Librarian cutscene and the Didact would have revealed the twist in the 7th or final mission. Imagine if the Didact stands in front of the Chief and reveals he killed digitalized humans the whole time.

Furthermore the main game story never tells why the Didact uses Humans. The terminals are revealing it, but if you don’t watch them, you will never find out. So the whole Prometheans are digitalized humans contradicts with Didact’s attitude. (His hatred against Humans).

If 343i had spaced out the information of this specific cutscene, I think people would have had a complete different opinion of the story. But that’s just my opinion.

Tawpgun

I miss when BTB was good. Hemorraghe DMRs ruined it.

Don't forget paper mache vehicles.

Halo 4 restored vehicles to solid health levels only to give players anti vehicle weapons on spawn. #balance?

Would anyone be down to play some GOOD btb customs? I might even toy around with making the maps and gametypes.

The Librarian cutscene is the part where the story gets messed up. You cannot throw so much information to a player in such a short time.

I will use one “story twist” as an example: Prometheans are digitalized Humans? (I am still asking myself how the Chief quickly figures this secret out with the information, the Librarian gives him. He is perfect in every way, I guess. Perfect detective, too.) How could 343i have delivered this message to the player? There are many perfect opportunities to tease and reveal this twist. In the 3rd mission, Cortana is analyzing a data stream of a Promethean knight to get information about it. At this part, Cortana could have made a comment like “This is strange… This information stored here has great resemblances with Humanity’s DNA.” This is the first tease. The second tease would have been in the Librarian cutscene and the Didact would have revealed the twist in the 7th or final mission. Imagine if the Didact stands in front of the Chief and reveals he killed digitalized humans the whole time.

Furthermore the main game story never tells why the Didact uses Humans. The terminals are revealing it, but if you don’t watch them, you will never find out. So the whole Prometheans are digitalized humans contradicts with Didact’s attitude. (His hatred against Humans).

If 343i had spaced out the information of this specific cutscene, I think people would have had a complete different opinion of the story. But that’s just my opinion.

Yup. But its not surprising with how rushed the rest of the game seemed to be put together. I appreciated the story more since I knew the fiction behind it and stuff, but good lord what a mess it must of been for someone who hadn't read the Greg Bear novels.

Madness

I think from the very first cutscene 343 had trouble with the story. Why was Halsey in chains, and why were they asking that stuff about Chief? Wouldn't that have been the appropriate time to fill in details on the story after Halo 3? The creation of Infinity, the creation of the new Spartan-IV program etc.

I mean the games are the primary medium, wouldn anyone know half the stuff that happened if they never read the new books or watched FUD?

I have friends who have been with me since day 1 of CE, they didn't even know Forerunners were once in war with humans etc. They believed we WERE forerunners. Reading the last bulletin, I can't help but wonder, how many fans of the Halo games, have no clue what the fuck a Bornstellar-Didact or Ur-Didact is.

I get it's a new trilogy, but explain it better in-game, and if you can't fit it in game, don't release.

Fuchsdh

I think from the very first cutscene 343 had trouble with the story. Why was Halsey in chains, and why were they asking that stuff about Chief? Wouldn't that have been the appropriate time to fill in details on the story after Halo 3? The creation of Infinity, the creation of the new Spartan-IV program etc.

I mean the games are the primary medium, wouldn anyone know half the stuff that happened if they never read the new books or watched FUD?

I have friends who have been with me since day 1 of CE, they didn't even know Forerunners were once in war with humans etc. They believed we WERE forerunners. Reading the last bulletin, I can't help but wonder, how many fans of the Halo games, have no clue what the fuck a Bornstellar-Didact or Ur-Didact is.

I get it's a new trilogy, but explain it better in-game, and if you can't fit it in game, don't release.

"Don't do it if it doesn't fit in a shooter game" is a really cruddy rule for a $3 billion franchise to follow. Did the story need work to make it more accessible for game players? Yes. But that doesn't equal dumbing it down so it'll fit in-game. That defeats the point of having tie-in novels, etc.

Havok

I'll go a step further and say that the second the Infinity drops in is where the story gets messed up. They had a unique opportunity to hit the reset button and really flesh out the Chief/Cortana relationship by giving them some breathing room, but instead you go three levels in, have some interesting moments, and then that plot thread gets shoved into cracks in between some old farce of a character barking orders at you. Instead of letting them be alone for a while, the literal biggest and most powerful spaceship in the known universe drops from the sky with a bunch of characters nobody cares about.

Karl2177

Been wondering for a while, but anyone know why ODST and Anniversary are not up on games on demand?
I would guess that it's because each game comes with two games. ODST would probably have the Halo 3 MP and Anniversary would have a section of the Reach MP.

I agree with you. All of the stuff in the terminals were pretty essential to the story, so I don't even understand the logic of why they were relegated there anyway. Terminals should be enriching the universe, not giving out extremely necessary info that we need to understand the antagonist's motivations. Factor in the fact that we couldn't even see that shit in-game, and it just made for an overall poor telling of a story that should have been great.

I'll go a step further and say that the second the Infinity drops in is where the story gets messed up. They had a unique opportunity to hit the reset button and really flesh out the Chief/Cortana relationship by giving them some breathing room, but instead you go three levels in, have some interesting moments, and then that plot thread gets shoved into cracks in between some old farce of a character barking orders at you. Instead of letting them be alone for a while, the literal biggest and most powerful spaceship in the known universe drops from the sky with a bunch of characters nobody cares about.
Infinity should have been torn apart when it hit the planet. My understanding was that it was completely inoperable, so there shouldn't have been anything to keep it from breaking up into huge chunks over miles and miles. I could be wrong and missed something, because I haven't played that much of the campaign. I'm all for suspension of disbelief to make a universe plausible, but c'mon.

darthbob

I would guess that it's because each game comes with two games. ODST would probably have the Halo 3 MP and Anniversary would have a section of the Reach MP.

Eh, I would pay for a standalone ODST w/ no Halo 3 MP.

CEA just has two executables in the .iso, which shouldn't be an issue for GoD.

Overdoziz

Banned
I agree with you. All of the stuff in the terminals were pretty essential to the story, so I don't even understand the logic of why they were relegated there anyway. Terminals should be enriching the universe, not giving out extremely necessary info that we need to understand the antagonist's motivations. Factor in the fact that we couldn't even see that shit in-game, and it just made for an overall poor telling of a story that should have been great.
Would you prefer they cut the temrinals entirely?

FyreWulff

Anniversary would require a bit of work (remove the Reach Anni MP image, then change the menu in Anniversary to no longer show the option), ODST should work straight across though (they'd only have to distribute the ODST disc image. They can omit H3 Mythic completely)

Unless Microsoft just doesn't want to release ODST, my guess on that game is the licensing of the celebrity faces could be a roadblock to a digital version.

Fuchsdh

Anniversary would require a bit of work (remove the Reach Anni MP image, then change the menu in Anniversary to no longer show the option), ODST should work straight across though (they'd only have to distribute the ODST disc image. They can omit H3 Mythic completely)

Unless Microsoft just doesn't want to release ODST, my guess on that game is the licensing of the celebrity faces could be a roadblock to a digital version.

Huh I hadn't even thought of that. Surely MS would have tried to grab all the rights to using them in any kind of adaptation though.

I disagree. The story is still understandable at that point and the cutscene does not confuse the player. They know Infinity is heading inside of Requiem.

But I agree on the part that 343i missed a huge opportunity. The short "Chief and Cortana" sequences are the highlight of the game. I am not saying 343i messed up Chief and Cortana's part. (except for the ending maybe) The whole pre-marketing campaign till E3'12 only shows the Chief and Cortana. The art shows big spaces where the Chief lonely stands. 343i did too much stuff with the stuff. "Less is sometimes more" is the saying, or am I wrong?

Would you prefer they cut the temrinals entirely?
Yes. Using a comment in the wrong context.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Now we know there's no remakes in the DLC, 343 should release a free 'The Pit' remake, 1:1. Would take team throwdown to another level of awesomeness.

It could be a panacean gift to the fans left disconsolate at the sudden departure of Jessie Snyder.

The Pit is an amazing map however I think in Halo 4 sprint would just ruin it, everyone will just be sprinting away when one shot, sprinting down the corridors to flank the other team etc. I can't see how it would play remotely like Halo 3 Pit in Halo 4. Its easy to get games in Halo 3 social slayer which includes the pit, why not play that? Its far superior to anything Halo 4 has to offer. If I play Halo I just play Halo 3 now.

FyreWulff

Huh I hadn't even thought of that. Surely MS would have tried to grab all the rights to using them in any kind of adaptation though.

Depends on how much they cost. I believe Marty mentioned at some point (ODST panel?) that they went back and spent the extra money to get their faces later on in development.

edit: nevermind on part 2

edit2: Also, Games on Demand wasn't a thing until just a month befoe ODST released. It may have not been a consideration when ODST's contracts were originally drafted up, assuming the celeb faces are the roadblock.

"Would you rather we cut them entirely?"
-David Ellis

There, fixed.
Oh I got it, I just had no "witty" comeback outside of the misspelling.

I hope the next Halo will treat the Terminals differently and not information critical to the current story in them. Like, say, the CEA Terminals.

Havok

I disagree. The story is still understandable at that point and the cutscene does not confuse the player. They know Infinity is heading inside of Requiem.

But I agree on the part that 343i missed a huge opportunity. The short "Chief and Cortana" sequences are the highlight of the game. I am not saying 343i messed up Chief and Cortana's part. (except for the ending maybe) The whole pre-marketing campaign till E3'12 only shows the Chief and Cortana. The art shows big spaces where the Chief lonely stands. 343i did too much stuff with the stuff. "Less is sometimes more" is the saying, or am I wrong?
Sure - don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the direction they took with that makes it more confusing, just that I think it was the wrong direction to go in. My wording on that wasn't entirely clear, so that's my fault. And yeah, you're right, I do think that less would definitely be more in this scenario. All the talk about the "personal story" they were trying to tell doesn't really mean anything if it gets truncated and pushed to the background by this weird grand adventure happening concurrently that doesn't really go anywhere.

darthbob

Explain to us why CEA on GoD would be an issue.

I installed my copy of CEA, and aside from requiring the disc in the drive, it should function similary to a digital version.

Top Bottom