• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

TheOddOne

Jk3mOEi.png
FUCKING ELZAR? DO I LOOK LIKE FUCKING ELZ...

QUIT MAKING ME EDIT THIS FUCKING THING

UVzrv0O.png
Phew, I can't believe you made that mistake Wahrer. YOU ON NOTICE.

Striker

Been out of the loop for awhile. What's the consensus on the latest map pack?

I heard from some friends that they were arena sized/layout (YAY!) with zero map flow that led to chaotic cluster-fucks (BOO!)
Biggest test will be the implementation into Throwdown (which has a low population now, and normally takes a while to get in due to that along with party restrictions). So with the regular Halo 4 settings and gametypes in mind, my thought is:

Skyline is the smallest map yet, and has sticky detonator and shotgun as power weapons. Shotgun is important because camo and PV users love to grab one and head into the center to camp the lifts. As it stands it's still a Jetpack-AR/Storm Rifle/Suppressor map.

Yesterday while playing a bit, Havok and I were matched into a game that was 2 vs. 4. JIP never added anybody. Whoever defends JIP still can go to hell. One of the most inconsistent things in the game, and that's saying something.

Monolith and Landfall are both better as it stands and would be better under proper settings. Still, Camo and PV users thrive and causes the game to either be frustrating or become a standstill. Landfall Extraction isn't too bad and Monolith is best under King or CTF (which you will only play in the CTF playlist, as the team Majestic playlist does not have it) settings.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
It's pretty straightforward, especially if you've played a Halo game before. People quit out if this magical number beside teammates names are not up to their standards without them actually seeing how they play. This was the worst in Halo 2.

That doesn't fix anything, people will still quit. TruSkill has been around forever and still matchmakes within even smaller ranges of that most of the time.

Honestly, from my experiences with close friends and randoms online, it makes a difference and people WILL do it, even if there's a penalty involved. People did it in Halo 2, they did it in Halo 3, and they'll do it again. I understand it can work as a positive reinforcer, but TBH the negatives far outweight the potential positives for the subset I mentioned.

I was never aware of players quitting due to their teammates skill being too low in Halo 3 in the many thousands of games I played, quitting in the pre-game lobby would still result in a loss being registered so there was no reason not to try and win if you thought your teammates would be bad.

While boosting was a problem in Halo 3 it really wasn't that big of a problem. There is WAY more quitting in Halo 4 and games don't even start with full teams, a lot, lol! As others have said there is literally no incentive not to quit, not only that, there is no incentive to win either, this results in a lack of tense exciting games as well as lots of stat whoring (teammates allowing you to die and stealing kills rather than helping, letting you die to get power weapons etc etc)

9/10 games I played in ranked Halo 3 there were full teams (often using mics) at the start of the game and everybody was trying to win and if one team was getting destroyed then perhaps they started quitting but by that point it no longer matters if the game is lost. Halo 3 was exciting because winning or losing actually had consequence.

I'm sure if Bungie/343 wanted they could have made boosting less of an issue by adjusting the trueskill formula so that there is a limit to how "bad" a player can be classified that is more or less equal to a level 1 with no games played. That way far less people would quit and would instead use new accounts to make it easier for their friends to rank up. Yes some players would get undeserved ranks but so what, its far better than the current system. I can't say I was badly afffected by boosting or that I really cared that some players achieved higher ranks than they should have. Most importantly the ranking system gave meaning to each game and made for a much more enjoyable matchmaking experience due to the competition and cooperation it encouraged.

DeadNames

Banned
What happened last night?

Also is the charm of Majestic wearing off for you guys? I get seemingly more frustrated at Skyline and Monolith. Skyline is TOO small and monolith has awkward lines of sights, but I still like it.

Striker

Also is the charm of Majestic wearing off for you guys? I get seemingly more frustrated at Skyline and Monolith. Skyline is TOO small and monolith has awkward lines of sights, but I still like it.
Under the right settings and player count (hey 343, 5v5 on Skyline is not a good idea), it's not bad I'm sure. But with AA's it is ruined because of how easy it is to set camp and with a Jetpack, makes killing people with an AR so much easier. Goes to show no matter how good map design can be in this game, it's going to be covered in sludge with AA's, the upgrades, and loadouts in general occupying the headaches.

Lots more wrong with this game than those things though, like ordnance and JIP. Definition of random.

9/10 games I played in ranked Halo 3 there were full teams (often using mics) at the start of the game...
That dream died when Party Chat arrived.

Blueblur1

Yeah, the charm is wearing off for me, too. I'm getting board of playing those 3 maps constantly (because static weapon spawns are non-existent on the older maps). I'm looking forward to seeing them edit the older maps which seems like its something they're doing for the upcoming FFA playlist. Maybe then they'll be tolerable.

willow ve

Yeah, the charm is wearing off for me, too. I'm getting board of playing those 3 maps constantly (because static weapon spawns are non-existent on the older maps). I'm looking forward to seeing them edit the older maps which seems like its something they're doing for the upcoming FFA playlist. Maybe then they'll be tolerable.
Throwdown is still fun if you surf the web during wait times. By far the best playlist in the game. Shame in wasn't there at launch.

Striker

Throwdown is still fun if you surf the web during wait times. By far the best playlist in the game. Shame in wasn't there at launch.
I'm thrown off by the CTF maps available in there. Is there no way to add a decent Sanctuary variant? Solace is mediocre and still has an Incineration Cannon in it for some reason, Adrift is still Adrift, and while I do like Simplex, it gets old pretty quickly.

Deluxe should be taken out also. And they need to decrease the melee strength to 75%.

Madness

Played a few matches of Fiesta in action sack, can't believe I ACTUALLY had a lot of fun. It could be that everyone was matched up well and 3 games came down to the last kill.

I think having these types of gametypes/playlists help break up the monotony sometimes, but they should never be the norm or the focal point that multiplayer is built around.

m23

With the map pack launching soon, I wonder if we'll be hearing more on that sandbox TU or even the ranks. I would expect all this to roll out at once with the map pack, well, I hope.

Bulletin tonight will probably focus on the maps.

God damnit it's sxsw come hang out!

Free cirque du solei show tonight
Damn, I wanted to go to that last night. Divine Fits were playing and Chris Hardwick was hosting the event. How was it?

Also, Binary Slayer is awesome. Is there another map to play it on besides Ragnarok?

Madness

It was mentioned a few pages back, but I actually like that the maps are released as early as they were. Halo 3 would have been so much better if maps like Longshore were available earlier.

You could make the argument that there would be nothing to look forward to, but when you have a great core Halo multiplayer, you'll keep playing.

I think 343 knows it's the last year of the Xbox 360 and that people aren't going to really be playing till the next year or beyond. It's why Mass Effect 3 released all of it's multiplayer and single player DLC within a year as well.

IHaveIce

Banned
Damn, I wanted to go to that last night. Divine Fits were playing and Chris Hardwick was hosting the event. How was it?

Also, Binary Slayer is awesome. Is there another map to play it on besides Ragnarok?

Yeah played it on Haven and Complex too, but Complex is totally broken, as soon as the one team holds the top they can spawn kill you without doing anything.

Also I wonder if the majestic pack sold less than the crimson one, it is quite strange how different 343 handles the PRfor the coming map pack, while we didn't see anything for majestic till 2 weeks before launch, we get a trailer for castle maps almost a month ahead.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It was mentioned a few pages back, but I actually like that the maps are released as early as they were. Halo 3 would have been so much better if maps like Heretic were available earlier.

You could make the argument that there would be nothing to look forward to, but when you have a great core Halo multiplayer, you'll keep playing.

I think 343 knows it's the last year of the Xbox 360 and that people aren't going to really be playing till the next year or beyond. It's why Mass Effect 3 released all of it's multiplayer and single player DLC within a year as well.

fixed

Please don't give them ideas, if rather not be stuck playing Binary Slayet on Skyline all day.

Yeah played it on Haven and Complex too, but Complex is totally broken, as soon as the one team holds the top they can spawn kill you without doing anything.
I would think due to the faster speed and unlimited Thruster (that sounds dirty), using some of the larger maps would work. Complex would be awful unless the top was blocked off with a soft kill barrier, but Longbow seems like it could work well. Maybe even Vortex or Meltdown. Exile has too many perches from which to camp, and I doubt that anyone would take the time to block them all off.

Blueblur1

It was mentioned a few pages back, but I actually like that the maps are released as early as they were. Halo 3 would have been so much better if maps like Longshore were available earlier.

Longshore? You can't be serious.

Madness

Longshore? You can't be serious.

I liked the map. What's the GAF consensus on Longshore? And of course Heretic, my ideal Halo was 4v4 BR starts on Midship.

I was just saying, that if those maps were available earlier, Halo 3 would have been the better for it.

Why I mentioned Longshore, was because I think Halo 3 was the last time I truly enjoyed BTB. I miss playing on Sandtrap, Avalanche/Sidewinder.

I was just saying, that if those maps were available earlier, Halo 3 would have been the better for it.
I can't exactly say that more good BTBs earlier would have been a bad thing, but the length of time over which we got maps did keep a level of interest too.

Having all the maps out by May 2008 would have resulted in a long time with no new MP content.*

*Forge aside

Madness

I don't know why but I felt that longshore was extremely boring to play on.

Avalanche was the best BTB map on Halo 3.

I too LOVED Avalanche, I had so much fun playing it. What I meant to imply was that since Longshore was released so LONG after release, that not as many people were playing or enjoying it by then.

I mean the maps came with the disc in September of 2009, and people could only purcase them separately in Feb of 2010. That was far too long.

I can't exactly say that more good BTBs earlier would have been a bad thing, but the length of time over which we got maps did keep a level of interest too.

Having all the maps out by May 2008 would have resulted in a long time with no new MP content.*

*Forge aside

But if you think about it, if within a year or two, they released 2-3 map packs, wouldn't gamers understand that they did get a lot of new MP content? Unlike single player DLC, these are just maps, I think i'd be more frustrated it takes them 2-3 years to come out with 3 new maps no?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
We had some fun games on Longshore in HaloGAF Customs back in the day. Not a map I'm nostalgic for though.

Shadders

I don't think I ever saw enough of Longshore to form an opinion. It was different, I'll give it that.

Dare I say it'd play a lot better with the addition of jetpacks?

Madness

I don't think I ever saw enough of Longshore to form an opinion. It was different, I'll give it that.

Dare I say it'd play a lot better with the addition of jetpacks?

That was my point. That it released SO much later, that not many people ever played it at all or only played a few matches.

I liked Longshore, thought it was a nice addition to BTB, but I could see where others hated it.

The core experience of Halo 3 was good, some didn't like it, but it played well enough that you stayed hooked in, day in and day out. Customs, ranks, etc.

If you play Halo 3 BTB now Longshore comes up every other game. I think it's a bit of an overlooked gem, not great for slayer but very good for BTB 1 flag. It all centres around flicking the switch to open the overhead gates. Once that's done, if you're the defending team, the full siege mentality comes into play and it becomes quite difficult to protect the flag. Expect power drains and plasmas.

Played a fair bit of H3 BTB a few weekends ago and it's still awesome. Everyone spawned with a br, no bullshit AA's that you're not expecting, everyone equal. No half the team with binary rifles and snipers three minutes into the game. The netcode wasn't even that bad, took a few games to re-adjust. Mostly green bars. For some reason getting a medium to long range stick in H3 is so much more satisfying than Reach or 4. Dat medal.

Played loads of throwdown and doubles today, excellent playlists. This game is awesome when it's BR starts and no random shit. BTB could be great again if only they put v2 settings in.

kylej

Banned
fuck avalanche. 75% too big. bungie's evnrionment artists got wood and went too hog wild with that one. last resort is a good size for btb maps

gAg CruSh3r

I really like Team Action Sack but I dislike what they did to the game-type Fiesta.

I like spawning with random weapons just like in Halo 2/3/R, Instead of calling a ordinance every time you spawn. I can maybe understand getting a kill or two for a armor ability or power up (speed boost, damage boost, or over shields). I feel like you have a better chance of getting a binary rifle or incinerator cannon in a ordinance. It also does not help that all the weapons have unlimited ammo. I hope they fix it up a little.

Now we know there's no remakes in the DLC, 343 should release a free 'The Pit' remake, 1:1. Would take team throwdown to another level of awesomeness.

It could be a panacean gift to the fans left disconsolate at the sudden departure of Jessie Snyder.

Fuchsdh

Now we know there's no remakes in the DLC, 343 should release a free 'The Pit' remake, 1:1. Would take team throwdown to another level of awesomeness.

It could be a gift to the fans left disconsolate at the sudden departure of Jessie Snyder.
Why remake a map Forgers can do easily?

Top Bottom