• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

FdkWdGG.png

On me?

bojangles
Coming soon: Halo 6

Didn`t hate Longshore. Of course, I was a MASSIVE fan of Halo 3 BTB, so any map suitable for it and ESPECIALLY BTB Objective gametypes was a win in my books.

FyreWulff

Longshore was dreamy on the intended setup, which was 1-sided objective.

Like other 1sided designed maps (Headlong), it was terrible for Slayer. Even if it was Hang Em High's bastard son.

Striker

Longshore was dreamy on the intended setup, which was 1-sided objective.

Like other 1sided designed maps (Headlong), it was terrible for Slayer. Even if it was Hang Em High's bastard son.
Headlong was a BTB map, and you will be hard pressed to find any BTB maps that perform better in Slayer than Flag or Assault.

Longshore was best utilized for 8-12 players, like how Zanzibar, Standoff, Colossus were. Any more and they became too cramped.

J10

Banned
If the Precursors are giant enemy crabs then why did they make humans of all things?

They're tinkerers. They create species. Let them thrive, let them learn. Absorb their knowledge. Wipe them out. Repeat. What do they do with that knowledge? I dunno, make more species probably.

Imagine this.

Halo: Forerunner

Released as first Halo title on nextbox. Set during the Forerunner-Precursor war you play as a Forerunner in the last days of the war and its adds both back story to those species but also shows how the flood came into existence.

Edit: J10 going off the deep because the fictional story he likes is not progressing in the way he wants.

They're tinkerers. They create species. Let them thrive, let them learn. Absorb their knowledge. Wipe them out. Repeat. What do they do with that knowledge? I dunno, make more species probably.

I guess if you want to get technical, humans/forerunners are the most capable species in existence simply because they were the first to completely overpower their creators?

...huh.

ZeNy

Neo Member
I do not understand. First you say you do not like 343's version of Forerunners. But then you are glad they are two different species? They are two different species in 343i's version.

Yes, I don't like their vision, their design, how they changed the Forerunner architecture.

First, I saw this "forerunner armor" by Bungie, and I liked what the forerunner seems to be, but now, if for Bungie, humans=forerunner, I'm glad 343 Industries made humans and forerunners two different species, even if I'm not a huge fan of their appearence.

Tawpgun

Hmm, this was posted before but im gonna link it again.

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive36.pl?read=1070818

Interesting. I always thought Forerunners and Humanity were seperate but connected somehow (terminals in Halo 3) That is why they were chosen to inherit the mantle. But this mainly came from Iris and how people thought the forerunner holo touch pads had six fingers.

But Evil Otto's explanation makes much more sense considering in Halo 1 Spark says something like "To think you would erase a catalog of all OUR LOST TIME, HUMAN HISTORY YOU CALL IT? FASCINATING."

Bungie's explanation tied the entire Halo series together. But it didn't leave any room for progressing the franchise other than

1.) Covenant radical groups still out there (not much you can do here, what are some fragmented groups of believers gonna do? But we'd still be fighting the same old covies)

2.) Elite vs Human relations: Some elites want to strike at humanity before they strike them. Some humans want to do the same. We already have this happening in 343's universe and it actually sounds interesting. But what would they do? Just be fighting elites? Would elites recruit the former covenant races to fight for them? Would we really be fighting the same species again? No...

3.) Flood regroups and becomes a threat again. The flood can take on many forms, so they could make them interesting to fight... but for whatever reason people hated fighting the flood in Halo, so this would be regarded as a bad move probably. Besides, its still an old enemy, despite new combatant designs.

4.) A new threat OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE is introduced. But this is just silly and lazy. Oh humanity makes first contact with sentient intelligence in the year 2525? Massive war later a new sentient intelligent comes? The only way I can see this being salvageable is if it was the pre cursors. If they come back and see their flood plan failed.

But are the forerunners/didact going to be our enemies for the remainder of the new trilogy?

What does this even mean?

It means one takes actual talent. Removing AAs and putting weapons on a map doesn't take talent. Get it now?

Im pretty sure that 75-80% of the people in this thread can help "balance" Halo4s MP if given the chance, and im also fairly sure that 10% of the people in here (at very best) actually have the skills required make the game look amazing and tell a proper story in a video game. Thats the difference.

The talent is there, you just don't like the direction. In a way, theres a lot more potential imo to get a really amazing overall Halo game from them, then there ever was from Bungie.

FyreWulff

Halo 3 left two possible storyline choices at the end of the game:

1) Halfjaw and Arbiter's Wacky Sanghelios Adventures

2) Chief And the Giant Forerunner Thing

They decided to burn #1 as a book storyline and did #2 as a game. They also collapsed other novel-only loose ends into Halo 4.

This is the part that kind of irritated me was the canon collapse (in terms of storylines coming together). There used to be all these separate threads, and then they were all smushed together in time for Halo 4 and made it 100% Chief-centric.

And now they've already thrown Reqiuem into the sun, so the last new Bungie-created plot point is no more.

Game wise we still have the Spirit of Fire drifting out there somewhere in space with spartans on it.

I think those who are into the Lore and are loyal followers to Bungie's Original Halo Trilogy "Might" very much dislike 343's Vision regarding the new trilogies. Ex. J10.

I'm Assuming that there was a split group within Bungie regarding the expansion of the Lore. Those that wanted to end Halo with the Original Trilogy and Those that wanted to continue and expand it (Now Is Part Of 343). If Bungie wanted stop the franchise with the original trilogy to explore new IPs (Destiny) then the Potential expansion to the Lore dies...

Let's assume by some power of Space Jesus, Jorge survives the slipspace event. Do you really think he will have enough food/water to last him the months and years until the UNSC could even think of recovering him?

Grunt meat and blood.

Surely his half of the ship (ships?) would have SOME food supply.

Let's assume by some power of Space Jesus, Jorge survives the slipspace event. Do you really think he will have enough food/water to last him the months and years until the UNSC could even think of recovering him?

It was a "joke".

But for the sake of discussion. At least 1 pelican and a couple of sabers were on that ship they must have some form of rations and the covie ship likely had a mess hall.

TCKaos

He gets jumped right in to the trajectory of the UNSC Spirit of Fire. He manages to board the ship and the captain - who shouldn't be in cryo if I'm remembering my lore correctly - then informs him of their situation, at which point Jorge briefs him about the recent events on Reach. Jorge is put in to cryo and the team continues to tumble through space.

Then the Spirit of Fire stumbles in to the UNSC Rubicon...

This was also all a part of the Librarian's plan for a backup Jesus in the event that Chief failed to stop the Didact from Composing the population of Earth. The off-year Halos then center around Jorge and Red Team going through space with Chakas-Spark searching for Forerunner artifacts and a way to jump back to Earth. They run in to Jul and Halsey along the way, leading to some heart-wrenching dialog between Halsey and Jorge.

Havok

Should I bother reading the forerunner books? I read the first one and havent read the rest. Are they good?
We'll see about Silentium, but I wouldn't recommend Primordium at this point. It has some interesting plot moments near the end, but it is incredibly slow with very little substance for well over half the book.

GhaleonEB

There isn't more to it. It's spelled out pretty explicitly in the extended fiction as well.

Contact Harvest by Joseph Staten, p.272

The whole reason for the war in the first place was because these three Prophets discovered their gods were not gods at all, that these tiny primative humans were Forerunner, that their entire religion was a lie.

Yeah. I connected with the simplicity of Bungie's story arc. Ancient humans (Forerunner) commited an act of galactic suicide to stop the Flood, while simultaniously seeding the galaxy with life to grow in the aftermath. A galactic reset button. Humans grow and develop, and eventually return to exploring the galaxy and "reclaim" what was lost - only to unwittingly unleash their ancient enemy - who still remembers the original conflict. And the Covenant in the mix, trying to erase humans/forerunner to preserve their own power hierachy, only to schism in the fight.

There was a self contained elegance to it, even if Bungie's story telling was hit or miss (with a lot of the latter). Where 343 first lost me was in their discarding of this story, rather than building upon it with a new chapter.

Madness

Yeah. I connected with the simplicity of Bungie's story arc. Ancient humans (Forerunner) commited an act of galactic suicide to stop the Flood, while simultaniously seeding the galaxy with life to grow in the aftermath. A galactic reset button. Humans grow and develop, and eventually return to exploring the galaxy and "reclaim" what was lost - only to unwittingly unleash their ancient enemy - who still remembers the original conflict. And the Covenant in the mix, trying to erase humans/forerunner to preserve their own power hierachy, only to schism in the fight.

There was a self contained elegance to it, even if Bungie's story telling was hit or miss (with a lot of the latter). Where 343 first lost me was in their discarding of this story, rather than building upon it with a new chapter.

This is what I always believed... That Ancient Humans were Forerunners and that humans are their descendents. It's why humanity was always so strong and why the Covenant was so vehemently opposed to us joining, because the prophets knew humans were descendents of their supposed gods. It's why things like the Artifact were on Earth.

Almost a Fortress of Solitude, Jor-El/Kal-El scenario. That one day, humans would rightfully RECLAIM what was theirs.

Top Bottom