• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Fuchsdh

Z6mnnJT.png

SO CLOSE

I really don't want to hear more from her, actually. I think her work is pretty self-explanatory and she also falls into the category of "good authors who know they're good and thus come off a bit like jerks". I like her a lot more just reading as opposed to learning much about her.

Greg Bear, however, needs to have more interviews, not least because he has a habit of spilling plot details :)

The only thing bad about that Bulletin is how they aren't doing weekly updates anymore, which is lame. But now instead of looking forward to new playlists each week I can be excited about new playlists every 2 weeks! It's fucking magical 343i, you truly are wizards!

Edit: I guess I shouldn't complain, a lot of that bulletin was pleasing to me and they're fixing a lot of the issues I'm having with this game. I appreciate that they are at least trying, so I'll probably start playing this game again after the TU so I'm excited

I think it's a good balance--we can all agree monthly updates kind of sucked, right? If they say two weeks provides better tweaking and stat-crunching, I'm all for it.

Although with Action Sack added they really need to trim the playlists again... (and after Castle's been out for a while just make a single DLC-only playlist?)

Listening to the Halo 4 soundtrack while reading HaloGAF. Don't know if it makes me like the soundtrack better or the forum less, but it's interesting either way.

Yay red x

Carry on.

Omni

I actually don't really like Traviss. Her writing just doesn't draw me in like Greg Bear's or even Eric Nylund's. Nylund seemed pretty good at writing 'action' stories, whereas Bear seems to be better at writing more 'hardcore' sci-fi (seriously had to read Cryptum and Primoridum more than once to understand half of what was going on). Traviss seems to be in the middle, and it's rather dull... A lot of Thursday War and Glasslands was a complete chore to read.

I hope that 343i brings back Nylund in the future. GoO was pretty awesome... well, until Traviss got her hands on the storyline and made it into an excuse to hate Halsey and make everything else pretty much redundant.

Also. Sandbox remake.

Beli343.

IHaveIce

Banned
A newFore Environment at PAX would be cool, please make coloured pieces brighter, fix finetuning. A flat natural space, no bullshit in the skybox, tryin to get steady fps.

Bonus points if it is covenant themed.

No covenant themed map sucks.

edit: Also YES, please bring back Nylund and launch Traviss into the sun.

m23

I hope that 343i brings back Nylund in the future. GoO was pretty awesome... well, until Traviss got her hands on the storyline and made it into an excuse to hate Halsey and make everything else pretty much redundant.

He is still at Microsoft so I'm hoping it may actually happen.

There is no pleasing the Kyle. Except with Yoga pants. Bring Yoga pants to Halo.

EDIT: I wonder what the big announcement for the panel is. Season 2 of SpOps? Another map pack?

They said something about an anvil so it must be about forge.

So happy to hear about the red X's. Might be enough to bring me back to playing the game again, not really sure how they can screw this up.

Omni

They said something about an anvil so it must be about forge.

So happy to hear about the red X's. Might be enough to bring me back to playing the game again, not really sure how they can screw this up.

RED Xs NOW AVAILABLE*

*With the purchase of Halo ATLAS for Halo 4

FyreWulff

If it's a new Forge map, I picked the worst PAX East to have not money for at the time tickets were available.

If it's a Forge TU, then I hope it actually addresses most of the lacking features and complaints.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm glad red X's are returning, but it's hardly a praiseworthy move. We're just slowly getting the game that should've been present at launch.

As for Forge, I'd bet that there will be a patch + DLC of some sort.

Ken

There is no pleasing the Kyle.

He's kind of right though.

This is the time where you hype people over your new league system on top of the existing ranks system (lol), increase the degree of armor customization, personalization, and expand or even introduce new specializafions to keep people interested. Instead it's unfortunately just "hey get excited over these features from past Halo games that should have been in 4 from the beginning."

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just read the bulletin - dont much care for red x one way or the other, but it nice to hear that there is definitely another title update on the way and this time it sounds more centered around sandbox tweaks and balancing, including weapons. this i can get behind. looking forward to pax panel.

kylej

Banned
There is no pleasing the Kyle. Except with Yoga pants. Bring Yoga pants to Halo.

EDIT: I wonder what the big announcement for the panel is. Season 2 of SpOps? Another map pack?

This is our vision for Halo, this is what we believe is the future of the franchise, we had to make some sacrifices but we truly believe this will progress the series forward.

*3 months later*

We're bringing back shit that was in the old games that we removed for no reason but hey it's back now get hyped!

snoore.

You shouldn't trumpet common sense. When you remove something like the red X from Halo, it should be so carefully thought out that there should be no rescinding that step.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
This is our vision for Halo, this is what we believe is the future of the franchise, we had to make some sacrifices but we truly believe this will progress the series forward.

*3 months later*

We're bringing back shit that was in the old games that we removed for no reason but hey it's back now get hyped!

snoore.

You shouldn't trumpet common sense. When you remove something like the red X from Halo, it should be so carefully thought out that there should be no rescinding that step.

lol at the rate we're going with delayed respawns finally in and if they're putting the red X back in, Halo 4 will be out of beta and released Nov. 2013.

Rejoice!

kylej

Banned
lol at the rate we're going with delayed respawns finally in and if they're putting the red X back in, Halo 4 will be out of beta and released Nov. 2013.

Rejoice!

did they finally get the file share up and running? I know they're still working on ranks and I know they said they won't get any campaign features live.

Maybe we all just fear progress like Josh whats his name said. This is the definitive Halo experience.

If it's a new Forge map, I picked the worst PAX East to have not money for at the time tickets were available.

If it's a Forge TU, then I hope it actually addresses most of the lacking features and complaints.
I'm expecting just an update to add some of the missing features, but it would be a great surprise if it coincided with a new map with usable terrain. Erosion seems to be largely reviled by the community, so a replacement with decent looking pieces would be nice.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Fuchsdh

I'm expecting just an update to add some of the missing features, but it would be a great surprise if it coincided with a new map with usable terrain. Erosion seems to be largely reviled by the community, so a replacement with decent looking pieces would be nice.
I like a lot about Erosion but yeah they prolly should have toned down the crud factor on the pieces, and given us more breathing room in the lagoon (my favorite spot in the Forge maps.)

Rejoice!
I really think Microsoft should have made Halo 4 a launch title for the 720 in hindsight. Would have given them time to add in some of these features, better integrate the audio and terminals in campaign... oh well.

Akai__

did they finally get the file share up and running? I know they're still working on ranks and I know they said they won't get any campaign features live.

Maybe we all just fear progress like Josh whats his name said. This is the definitive Halo experience.

File Share works, but instead of downloading the files to your Xbox, it downloads them to your file share, which is possibly an annoying step more.

I like a lot about Erosion but yeah they prolly should have toned down the crud factor on the pieces, and given us more breathing room in the lagoon (my favorite spot in the Forge maps.)
The "return to battlefield" shit is infuriating on that map in particular. I don't know why they didn't just add hard boundaries.

Why does Jess spend so much time in the bulletins telling us how bad she is at writing?
I wish she would tone that down. Being self effacing can be kind of adorable if done right, but she really overplays it. I'd rather her focus more on developing a style of prose that isn't constantly bashing itself.

Better they add features from Halos past 3 months after release than leaving those features out forever. It would have been so easy for them not to add them back.

IHaveIce

Banned
Better they add features from Halos past 3 months after release than leaving those features out forever. It would have been so easy for them not to add them back.
I agree, of course it was astupid move to remove it at first and it's kind of funny to seem them backpaddling, but rhey do now what the vocal community wants.

Better late than never.

Karl2177

The "return to battlefield" shit is infuriating on that map in particular. I don't know why they didn't just add hard boundaries.
Ehhhh yes and no. If it was a straight up hard boundary, you couldn't place a wall to block some light. It is frustrating that you can't tell where you can and can't build a space just by looking.

Red X's will/should be a show of "we know we messed up, here is proof we're putting this right and will in future titles".

But they won't save Halo 4. They can't. There's no turning this leaky population ship around, unless they change the Gold requirement or do a special NextBox version for the Fall.
Why does Jess spend so much time in the bulletins telling us how bad she is at writing?
It may be a personality thing of half-jokingly criticising oneself to dampen external criticism.
Can't remember what that's called.
Why does a community manager never engage with other communities? One of many wonderful 343 mysteries.
As in not being active on GAF/HBO/elsewhere? Because she's surely been involved in all the swag/HaloGAF-343 hangouts/access.
Seems like a directive to get as much chatter focused on the Waypoint forums as possible.

Ehhhh yes and no. If it was a straight up hard boundary, you couldn't place a wall to block some light. It is frustrating that you can't tell where you can and can't build a space just by looking.
I think my frustration stems from the slow reset timer on the boundary and the forced camera zoom out whenever you try and spawn a large piece. I gave up trying to forge there pretty quickly.

Why does a community manager never engage with other communities?
Gee, I wonder why she would never visit a place like this? Maybe Frankie or David can pop by sometime and enlighten us to this Stonehenge of internet mystery.

I agree, of course it was astupid move to remove it at first and it's kind of funny to seem them backpaddling, but rhey do now what the vocal community wants.

Better late than never.

Let's be clear, no one here is celebrating that it took this long to get them back. Much like when a bunch of us make big lists of things that need fixing or go on huge rants about the death of Halo, by celebrating what is actually done to make Halo better, we hope that 343 will see that there is a positive demand for these things in the future.

FyreWulff

Erosion would probably be more well liked if you could actually have lighting on your maps on it. It does have a considerable amount of open space in the cave section, but the fact that your maps on it either have no dynamic lighting (if made in the cave) or don't match the inside (if building them in the Grifball arena) + the Grifball area having poor lighting nerfed the map's usability.

The grungy artwork of the pieces themselves I don't mind, at least makes it look different, although they probably should have not given them reflection maps. Certain erosion maps have all the reflection maps combine and appears as one big one and it looks like there's frosting on my screen as I move around.

kylej

Banned
As in not being active on GAF/HBO/elsewhere? Because she's surely been involved in all the swag/HaloGAF-343 hangouts/access.
Seems like a directive to get as much chatter focused on the Waypoint forums as possible.

Not GAF/HBO/elsewhere... anywhere other than Waypoint. 343 hangouts and swag is basic marketing. Most of that is piggybacked off tradeshow events where they've already received a certain budget and guest pass allotment. One of the huge problems with Halo games both past and present is the lack of transparency. Frankie said the community is a "direct and democratic extension of the development team"... how so? I go back to an idea I had a long time ago - the matchmaking team or person or whoever needs a blog where they can actively engage with the community on what playlist changes are coming up, provide some basic polls to allow some community influence on the decisions, and help us all understand what makes things tick instead of getting nothing more than a fluff filled 500 word bulletin once a week. But hey, considering 343 sounds the trumpets when they bring back a decade old feature 4 months after release, I guess we should take what we can get.

Gee, I wonder why she would never visit a place like this? Maybe Frankie or David can pop by sometime and enlighten us to this Stonehenge of internet mystery.

You're right, if you don't want to read negative comments about Halo 4, it certainly makes a lot of sense to exclusively stay in Halo Waypoint's forums. Didn't think of that. Good insight.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You're right, if you don't want to read negative comments about Halo 4, it certainly makes a lot of sense to exclusively stay in Halo Waypoint's forums. Didn't think of that. Good insight.

You know that's only half of HaloGaf. The other half would just ridicule her like some choose to do to Frank and David.

Omni

Lol. Waypoint forums are soooo bad. Not just in design, but the community too. Even the saltiest of people here are relatively tame compared to what is posted over there (at least people here largely explain what they mean and actively discuss it all without resorting to petty insults and remarks... Most of the time)

Top Bottom