• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Madness

Wait, I thought lehto left bungie

He did leave after Reach shipped. But then he came back when he realized it would be better to start his new project at Bungie than create a new studio. Worked on it in private with a small team for months before he left again.

I asked him if we'll ever see his project on twitter, he said not in the near future, but 'it's in good hands, safe at Bungie'.

Though with Destiny most likely the focus for the better part of a decade, i doubt we'll ever see what it was he started.

Booties

Banned
4 months of complaining to get one thing done right. At this rate we'll have the halo we want by 2025.

They should have just randomly put them in as part of an unannounced update. I think that would give them better credibility

Great to hear it confirmed the X's are back.

Maybe they felt that having X markers would add to the clutter on screen, although a cluttered UI is dumb in the first place.

They said they removed the secondary weapon indicator to reduce UI clutter but what about the motion sensor? Is that not part of the UI too? The motion sensor in Halo 4 is the most bloated, busiest, scrambled and over done sensor in the series.

Question: If it's a motion sensor then why does it display inanimate vehicles?

Playing Halo 3 recently, I still prefer a sensor which doesn't display elevation. It's too informative in its current state.

The "special announcement" for Forge has got to be more than just adding options from previous games (though they should be part of it), that wouldn't warrant an announcement at an open industry panel. Hopefully the oft-requested Covie Forge map.

More hopes for the TU:

1) Waypoint markers for your teammates when off screen. Their absence in Doubles in particular really highlights how sorely missed they are.

2) Descoping when shot (at least the option for it in playlists such as snipers, swat and throwdown).

3) New in game UI. At least add headshot count to the lists. Oh and you know, the final score.

4) Huuuuuuuuuge nerf for camo.

5) Flag juggling, no flag waypoint when carrying, abolishing auto pickup.

6) No sprint option in customs.

7) Scope on DMR reduced to 2x.

now all 343 needs to do is remove jetpack and camo and promethean vision, have toggles for sprint, implement old CTF again and rebalance the starting weapons

Just throwing it out there as a solution to simplify loadouts:

You can either have two guns (no Primary/Secondary Restrictions), or pick the same gun twice to spawn with it, but have maxed out ammo for it.

BR / Carbine / Light Rifle
Assault Rifle / Storm Rifle / Suppressor
Frag x2 / Pulse x2 / Frag x1 Pulse x1

REMOVE DMR
REMOVE Pistol, Plasma Pistol, Boltshot
REMOVE Armor Abilities for everything but Big Team
REMOVE Plasma Grenades from Loadouts
REMOVE Perks, instead add a Mod section to gametypes which is simply a checklist (meaning you can add Dexterity, Stability etc. across the board)

Pistol buffed slightly - improved damage for a 4-shot kill, less bloom
Plasma Pistol buffed slightly - Better battery life
Boltshot unchanged

There are no on-map pickups for loadout weapons, however the Pistol is plentiful as an initial ordnance drop all throughout the map to provide a consistent precision weapon once people are out of ammo on their loadouts. Plasma Pistol, Boltshot and Plasma Grenades also show up on maps, albeit less commonly, to give vehicles a fighting chance.

If the DMR has to return, only allow 4 on the map at any given time and keep them restricted to neutral choke points.

kylej

Banned
Here's what 343 needs to do:

throw Halo 4 in the trash, bring back the best CE, 2, 3 maps, make it run at 60 fps, use hitscan BR, use Halo 3's ruleset minus equipment, increase movement speed, ship it.

get rid of load outs, ordnaces, and put weapons on map. Yeah, we're almost there...
I don't mind loadouts so much, but I don't think that plasma pistols, boltshots, and plasma grenades should be in there. As long as the starting weapons are well balanced it shouldn't be that much of a problem. Oh and get rid of flinch

while we're at it, just turn the boltshot into a mauler (that's not available in loadous obviously)

Alchemical

Neo Member

throw Halo 4 in the trash, bring back the best CE, 2, 3 maps, make it run at 60 fps, use hitscan BR, use Halo 3's ruleset minus equipment, increase movement speed, ship it.

I'd just play this every day and I wouldn't do anything else.

Bring back Halo 1 + 2 melee system. Three hits to kill, but two of them are on the unshielded Spartan.

Melee's power also scales with running, jumping, etc. but not Sprinting. This also gives Thruster an automatic buff.

Tawpgun

Include sliders in Halo 5 for damage per weapon, melee, grenade, speed, jump, gravity, momentum etc.
Allow for properties for every weapon to be adjusted. Damage, firerate, clip size, bloom, spread, autoaim, red reticle distance.

Allow options for no sprint and just about anything else that used to be in the game since Halo CE.

60 fps obviously

Options for different melee systems. Reach, CE, 2-3-4.

Options for vehicle health, tied to player, seperate, how much.

and so on and so on.

THE PEOPLES HALO.

IHaveIce

Banned

Yeah last hope is the Halo Steam PC collection.
Because sadly this will never happen

Blueblur1

Great to hear it confirmed the X's are back.

They said they removed the secondary weapon indicator to reduce UI clutter but what about the motion sensor? Is that not part of the UI too? The motion sensor in Halo 4 is the most bloated, busiest, scrambled and over done sensor in the series.

Question: If it's a motion sensor then why does it display inanimate vehicles?

Playing Halo 3 recently, I still prefer a sensor which doesn't display elevation. It's too informative in its current state.

The "special announcement" for Forge has got to be more than just adding options from previous games (though they should be part of it), that wouldn't warrant an announcement at an open industry panel. Hopefully the oft-requested Covie Forge map.

More hopes for the TU:

1) Waypoint markers for your teammates when off screen. Their absence in Doubles in particular really highlights how sorely missed they are.

2) Descoping when shot (at least the option for it in playlists such as snipers, swat and throwdown).

3) New in game UI. At least add headshot count to the lists. Oh and you know, the final score.

4) Huuuuuuuuuge nerf for camo.

5) Flag juggling, no flag waypoint when carrying, abolishing auto pickup.

6) No sprint option in customs.

7) Scope on DMR reduced to 2x.

I like to think that I'm an optimistic person but even I'll tell you to not get your hopes up for some of those. Especially the DMR scope change.

Really? What shit phone do you use? This is one of the best running mobile sites out there (in my experience).
Samsung Galaxy S2 (because my HTC Evo 4G is broken). This site doesn't play nice with my phone. :p Pages randomly scroll up by themselves, Thread loads but not the posts, Keyboard won't pop up when I try to post.

My phone just sucks. I should probably not use the default Web Browser/App as well.

IHaveIce

Banned
Samsung Galaxy S2 (because my HTC Evo 4G is broken). This site doesn't play nice with my phone. :p Pages randomly scroll up by themselves, Thread loads but not the posts, Keyboard won't pop up when I try to post.

My phone just sucks. I should probably not use the default Web Browser/App as well.
I use the same phone, try using the chrome browser. No problems on my end

M5TnfMT.jpg

Include sliders in Halo 5 for damage per weapon, melee, grenade, speed, jump, gravity, momentum etc.
Allow for properties for every weapon to be adjusted. Damage, firerate, clip size, bloom, spread, autoaim, red reticle distance.

Allow options for no sprint and just about anything else that used to be in the game since Halo CE.

60 fps obviously

Options for different melee systems. Reach, CE, 2-3-4.

Options for vehicle health, tied to player, seperate, how much.

and so on and so on.

THE PEOPLES HALO.

Yeah the problem with that is the ego's of the devs and their vision. A damage slider for individual weapons is something which I've seen requested on forums for years now. It's the thing you'll almost certainly never see in Halo. Bungie gave a really, really weak and frankly phony reason for not including it. Their reasoning was something along the lines of "When people go into a custom game, they need to know how the weapon will perform" (paraphrasing). This doesn't make sense when you can adjust melee damage, jump height, movement speed, only headshots are kills etc in custom games.

Remember in Snyder's blog, the piece about locally buffing a weapon just to see how it played out? "WE CAN'T WORK LIKE THIS".

Maybe they don't want Johnny public rebalancing their weapon sandbox, even in custom games. I could imagine a scenario where somebody would make better individual weapon settings across the board; they'd gain momentum in the community, there'd be demands for their inclusion in MM and suddenly the devs game, and everything they 'intended' would be blanched by a community effort. And you know how highly some value 'developer intent'.

I like to think that I'm an optimistic person but even I'll tell you to not get your hopes up for some of those. Especially the DMR scope change.

I'm aware that 3, 5 and 7 are unlikely. Doesn't mean I can't hope :)

Also Booties banned wut

Tawpgun

This is a quote from that article on how CoD ruined a generation of shooters.

Almost every element boiled down to “it doesn’t feel like Call of Duty.” And really, watching some of these guys play… one of the things that Call of Duty does, and it’s smart business, to a degree, is they compress the skill gap. And the way you compress the skill gap as a designer is you add a whole bunch of randomness. A whole bunch of weaponry that doesn’t require any skill to get kills. Random spawns, massive cone fire on your weapons. Lots of devices that can get kills with zero skill at all, and you know, it’s kind of smart to compress your skill gap to a degree. You don’t want the elite players to destroy the new players so bad that new players can never get into the game and enjoy it.

A game dev from Tripwire posted this.

Fuchsdh

Yeah the problem with that is the ego's of the devs and their vision. A damage slider for individual weapons is something which I've seen requested on forums for years now. It's the thing you'll almost certainly never see in Halo. Bungie gave a really, really weak and frankly phony reason for not including it. Their reasoning was something along the lines of "When people go into a custom game, they need to know how the weapon will perform" (paraphrasing). This doesn't make sense when you can adjust melee damage, jump height, movement speed, only headshots are kills etc in custom games.

Remember in Snyder's blog, the piece about locally buffing a weapon just to see how it played out? "WE CAN'T WORK LIKE THIS".

Maybe they don't want Johnny public rebalancing their weapon sandbox, even in custom games. I could imagine a scenario where somebody would make better individual weapon settings across the board; they'd gain momentum in the community, there'd be demands for their inclusion in MM and suddenly the devs game, and everything they 'intended' would be blanched by a community effort. And you know how highly some value 'developer intent'.

I'm aware that 3, 5 and 7 are unlikely. Doesn't mean I can't hope :)

Also Booties banned wut
Ultimately they're making the game and you choose to buy it or not. Arguing for the ability to change everything in the game seems like a tall order for a developer to cater to. Also, your conspiracy theory about "forum settings revolution" just seems... odd.

Would Aemulus Halysis work as a name for my overall weapon project/multiplayer revision?

It's Latin for "Competitive Halo." :lol

I might just go with Halysis.

I have heard from some other members of Halogaf that it is very good.

Excellent. I will have to wait till it launches for none premium members.

Do the maps remind you Bad company 2 maps when you're playing them? Because they look similiar to them.

It's nowhere near the excellence of Halo CE, but it's the best CTF I've played since.

What AAA FPS games have ever had damage sliders for weapons or some equivalent?
not AAA but Brink had metrics for every single possible variable in the game. The devs could adjust weapon fire speed, reload speed, damage per bullet, bullet spread, player movement, etc. with only hot patches, no title updates required. It's just a shame that the game was poop

Nowise10

I watched and wasn't that amazed to be fair. BR's in Halo.

Watched and be amazed...at how bad 343 is at easter eggs.

The whole concept and actions of shooting the circles, and a Sentinel (whose name is Kenzie) coming down to lead you to something, is honestly awesome, but 3 Battle rifles? Why? So so so much potential in an easter egg, and they give you 3 battle rifles, RIGHT BEFORE THE ROOM WITH ALL THE BATTLE RIFLES AND AMMO.

Remember that Easter egg on Midnight I teased earlier, that no one found?

Someone found it today.

Watch and be amazed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpi4f4Kvo8Y&feature=player_embedded
You hyped the shit out of it and that's it? Pretty boring easter egg. I like the way to get it, but only weapon drop? That's boring. It would have been cool if those BRs had Halo 3's BR model or something like that.

Easter Egg starting to disappoint. :( The found ones are weapon drops. :/

Tawpgun

There's really no more? No funny pictures? No secret terminals? No hidden music?

What ever happened to easter eggs like the scarab gun?

Nowise10

You hyped the shit out of it and that's it? Pretty boring easter egg. I like the way to get it, but only weapon drop? That's boring. It would have been cool if those BRs had Halo 3's BR model or something like that.

Easter Egg starting to disappoint. :( The found ones are weapon drops. :/

Hey, their is still 2 more known (to me) easter eggs on Midnight left

Top Bottom