• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Oh they play fine, what I mean is, they are pointlessly too large and it makes for dumb moments sometime. Just played a match on longbow where the other team utilized camo. They were just all over the map and it was a game of hide and seek.

The entire lower area of wreckage where the light gets blinding is never utilized in slayer, and only in say oddball when people go there to hide.

I don't know, not necessarily saying I want to shoot fish in a barrel so to speak, but I'd like if maps were more simple, clean sight lines, the only real eye candy I like is skyboxes or color scheme.

Yeah, a lot of the maps in Halo 4 seem overly complicated. One of the reasons I like Valhalla.

HTupolev

The AA options are FXAA, PXAA, and TPXAA. Which one should I be trying to use?
One of the PXAA variants, probably. According to Durante's stuff, it uses a more careful filter than FXAA implementations tend to.

TPXAA is just PXAA which samples information across several frames to help decide where the aliasing is.

Madness

Yeah, a lot of the maps in Halo 4 seem overly complicated. One of the reasons I like Valhalla.

Yes. I know some don't like Valhalla but it's not really pointlessly big. It's got nice exit routes, clean sightlines. Decent spawns. And the only eye candy is the water, trees/foliage, and the crashed pelican which doubles as a vantage point.

I liked the way it looked in Halo 3 though. Someone posted a gif of it a page or two back, and I forgot how colorful and clean it looked.

I so miss the days when this used to be Xbox's and Halo 2.

j6ROjRdghkJPj.jpg

):

I suck at CoD in PS3

Computron

I'll do some stills first. I can even see the difference in the main menu when I switch modes.

yes please.

BTW, are you capping it as a 720p stream from the xbox? It's probably a good idea to minimize all the extra scaling that happens to Halo 3 with a dashboard forced 720p, or maybe even lower...

Fotos

Just purchased Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dead Space, Dead Space 2, and Battlefield:2142 on Origin for $30. It would have been like $85 without the sale. Great deal.

Madness

Now that I know about ordnance re-rolling in Fiesta, it's all I notice. No wonder half the players have incineration cannons and rockets all the time. Really ruins a map like haven.

Hopefully they can fix this. It's a decent gametype to just screw around in.

But I don't see anyway to fix it unless they got rid of user selected load outs. And then you'd have people complaining that they can't jetpack, they cant use their camo.

EDIT: Damn Fyre, those screenshots bring a tear to my eyes. Such a simple map and it looked so good. The only thing I hated about it was having to use an assault rifle sometimes.

Computron

Is there only AA on? Any sharpening? I wonder what it would look like if halo 3 didn't also scale 640p>720p? Maybe going sub-hd would show the difference better, but at that point its a bit useless. I wonder if it can do anything to offset the effects of the scaling?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Now that I know about ordnance re-rolling in Fiesta, it's all I notice. No wonder half the players have incineration cannons and rockets all the time. Really ruins a map like haven.

Hopefully they can fix this. It's a decent gametype to just screw around in.

But I don't see anyway to fix it unless they got rid of user selected load outs. And then you'd have people complaining that they can't jetpack, they cant use their camo.

I actually rarely run into people using camo. I expected to see more, especially since there's no motion sensor.

Or maybe that's why I don't run into them...

But yeah, I hate Jetpackers using the Incineration Cannon. I can never get them without a precision weapon. :(

Fotos

I have so many PC games I need to finish now because of sales. Need to play:

Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Just Cause 2
Pay Day: The Heist
ARMA 3
Assassins Creed 3
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Battlefield:2142

I can't pass up on these deals. I need to stop wasting money.

Computron

Anyway, what do you think about the way it looks?

Any clips? (Doesn't the free FRAPs only add a watermark on the bottom half? try splitscreen then, lol...)

FyreWulff

Is there only AA on? Any sharpening? I wonder what it would look like if halo 3 didn't also scale 640p>720p? Maybe going sub-hd would show the difference better, but at that point its a bit useless. I wonder if it can do anything to offset the effects of the scaling?

It seems (as predicted) that things near the center of the screen, like the BR scope, fare better than objects near the edges of the screen. This would make sense as the center pixels would be less stretched than the top and bottom pixels to get to 720p.

edit: oh I didn't know there were more options. Hold a bit..

edit: this seems to be my options:

toggleFullscreen = F
toggleVSync = V
toggleRGBRange = R
changeScaling = S
changeAA = A
captureScreenshot = P
setDisplayHz = H
switchAspect = W

toggleOneToNScaling(1) = 1
toggleOneToNScaling(2) = 2

resizeTo(360) = 3
resizeTo(480) = 4
resizeTo(540) = 5
resizeTo(720) = 7
resizeTo(960) = 9
resizeTo(1080) = 0

adjustPredicate(0.01,0.0) = GLFW_KEY_KP_9
adjustPredicate(-0.01,0.0) = GLFW_KEY_KP_6
adjustPredicate(0.0,0.01) = GLFW_KEY_KP_8
adjustPredicate(0.0,-0.01) = GLFW_KEY_KP_5

toggleLocalContrast = C
adjustLocalContrast(0.05) = GLFW_KEY_KP_7
adjustLocalContrast(-0.05) = GLFW_KEY_KP_4

toggleGammaCorrection = G
adjustGamma(0.05) = GLFW_KEY_KP_1
adjustGamma(-0.05) = GLFW_KEY_KP_2

with documentation:

# Available commands:
# toggleFullscreen : toggles between fullscreen and windowed mode
# toggleVSync : turns VSync on or off
# toggleRGBRange : toggles between limited and full range RGB signalling
# changeScaling : switches the scaling mode through all the available modes
# changeAA : switches the AA mode through all the available modes
# captureScreenshot : captures the currently dispalyed image as a png into the "captures" folder
# setDisplayHz : tries to set the refresh rate of the current display as close as possible to the input refresh rate (can reduce stuttering)
# switchAspect : switches between 16:9 (default) and 4:3 aspect ratio
# resizeTo([height]) : resizes to the specified height (the width is computed automatically for 16x9)

Madness

I actually rarely run into people using camo. I expected to see more, especially since there's no motion sensor.

Or maybe that's why I don't run into them...

But yeah, I hate Jetpackers using the Incineration Cannon. I can never get them without a precision weapon. :(

I've run into a few people using camo on fiesta on abandon. It's primarily jetpack though, maybe pro-vision or thruster. I don't mind rockets as much because it's harder to kill, but the incineration cannon has such a wide shot and even if they miss, the huge splash damage is sure to kill you. Coupled with dexterity, it's just too much.

I'm routinely given speed boost, scattershot or grav hammer and I have no chance lol.

HTupolev

It seems (as predicted) that things near the center of the screen, like the BR scope, fare better than objects near the edges of the screen. This would make sense as the center pixels would be less stretched than the top and bottom pixels to get to 720p.
Not really. Objects in screen-space are stretched when closer to the edges of the screen by perspective projection, but that doesn't affect pixel distributions. Most scaling methods *should* affect all parts of the screen basically equally (in some cases, aside from a few pixels at the very edges).

and I guess whoever built Ragnarok forgot to put the part in where you don't spawn with someone else looking at you. Got spawn sniped six times in a row without being able to move off my spawn. GG 343.

FyreWulff

Oh, there's a button hidden that automatically goes through and caps a shot in all the different AA modes, that would have sped things up earlier..

and I guess whoever built Ragnarok forgot to put the part in where you don't spawn with someone else looking at you. Got spawn sniped six times in a row without being able to move off my spawn. GG 343.

Reminds me of how I fixed this particular exploit for Shutout Snipers, then the map goes into matchmaking with it's original spawns.. and I get spawnsniped in a loop in the specific spawnpoint that I deleted to prevent it from happening in my first game on the map.

FyreWulff

Okay, I've turned on "Gamma Correction" and "Local Contrast Enhancement".. basically every effect is on now that this thing supports. I still don't see any perceptible delay between my TV and this program's output. All enhanced shots are Adaptive Lanczos scaled.

I decided to use the Sword this time since the angle of the weapon should show some aliasing.

Heretic time:

No enhancements at all:
heretic_bi_noaa.png

edit: whoops... guess I moved for this shot

NoAA
heretic_al_noaa.png

FXAA
heretic_al_noaa.png

PXAA
heretic_al_noaa.png

TPXAA
heretic_al_noaa.png

HTupolev

I decided to use the Sword this time since the angle of the weapon should show some aliasing.
It's fairly diagonal. If you want to see really nasty aliasing, you pick an object that just barely doesn't line up with your pixel grid. This is why SGSSAA, which uses weird diagonal sample patterns, can provide better results than OGSSAA for the same number of samples. Sampling off your pixel grid helps a lot.

FyreWulff

You'd think, but I can see it become softer when I switch it on.. so I'm not sure what it's scaling.

MAGIC

edit: here, i'll take a shot of the lobby and you can make a gif or something of the difference.

Computron

You'd think, but I can see it become softer when I switch it on.. so I'm not sure what it's scaling.

MAGIC

edit: here, i'll take a shot of the lobby and you can make a gif or something of the difference.

Lossless clips would be better.

.GIFs only support 256 colors...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Mass effect 3 and arkham city should be no brainers. Don't know how invested you are in the mass effect games, but there is only one who thing that is super shitty about mass effect 3.

Arkham city is just flat out amazing.

The Walking Dead game is a definite must play as well.

Battlefield 3 premium if you've got the PC to run it.

How is TWD game? It sort of came from nowhere. Is it just your average linear, 3 hour FPS?

HTupolev

I don't see a difference in Fyre's pictures at all... am I the only one?
There are differences, but they're mostly subtle. To see the biggest ones, look at the Standoff images, and compare the base in noAA to the base in FXAA. Look at high-contrast edges that are near-vertical or near-horizontal.

Part of the issue with all this is that much of Halo 3's ickiest aliasing comes from thin line highlights and such, which isn't going to be dealt with by any currently-existing post-process AA technique. Don't expect perfect results!

Computron

^COMPUTRON'ed

haha

MAGIC

Maybe it refers to the Lanczos adaptive sharpening for the AA?

Ghazi

Top Bottom