• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

FyreWulff

lol. Frankie just straight telling people that Halo 3 PC isn't happening over in the H3 PC, so people take it as confirmation.

People, sometimes.

Madness

whole lotta pages i'm not gonna read but i see juices is posting so i support whatever he says

My dumbass compared a Lockout remake to the Cage... It conpletely flew over my head it was Lockout.

It in turn, generated a heated debate on the merits of whether or not Lockout was a good map at all.

Duji

Lots of people do. What no one cares about is someone saying that a heavily praised map is bad.

Let me get this straight. My position -- despite how well I back it up -- doesn't count since it happens to go against the consensus? Are you 12?

If you truly think that I am insane for calling out Lockout, then why is it so difficult for you to even come up with a single argument in its defense without resorting to the good old ad populum argument? At least juices cares to give his opinion as opposed to hindering the discussion.

Ramirez

Let me get this straight. My position -- despite how well I back it up -- doesn't count since it happens to go against the consensus? Are you 12?

If you truly think that I am insane for calling out Lockout, then why is it so difficult for you to even come up with a single argument in its defense without resorting to the good old ad populum argument? At least juices cares to give his opinion as opposed to hindering the discussion.

Because...Stalker.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

ur sow stoopid

I know, I care too much for some odd reason. Like I have to prove Lockout is good. I dont even know why I engage people here so often. You can have your opinion, I can have mine, my superior opinion that is correct, but, we both can have different opinions is what I'm trying to say.

I mean has a single opinion ever swayed in the history of these Halo threads because of other posts? I dont recall a single one.

Were fighting amongst ourselves too much.

Nowise10

And yes, that WayPoint video is 100% a glitch because if you watch it on your xbox, you get the same video, but their is subtitles for the Halo: Anniversary launch Trailer on it, which is the same error video for the wakeupjohn code found over a year ago. But judging from the thumbnail and name, their is supposed to be an actual video to go along with it.

OltFoI3.png

Ghazi

And yes, that WayPoint video is 100% a glitch because if you watch it on your xbox, you get the same video, but their is subtitles for the Halo: Anniversary launch Trailer on it, which is the same error video for the wakeupjohn code found over a year ago.

Maybe they're teasing the real sequel to Halo 3?

Not the intention behind the post. It annoys me that to make Halo something difficult I have to add all these weird game changing bullshit effects like melee to recharge or no HUD.
Halo 2 was the hardest in the series and its primarily because its unfair. Quick draw jackal snipers and bosses that take x10 the damage than they did on normal. Its punishment caused by unfairness.
I want a Halo game that is hard because the AI is good not because it takes an entire BR to kill something.

Iv played many of these so called "Hard" segments and modes of traditionally revered hard games and ultimately they boil down to 3 things.

More HP for opponents
Unfair situations like the Delta Halo Jackal Sniper
More enemies

I get its difficult to balance a game when you get to harder levels but their has to be a better way than this?

Edit: I'm 6 episodes in and SouthLAnd is fantastic. Props to those who said it was great yesterday/last night

Better AI is expensive. It's not worth to spend that money on a part of the game 10% of the players will actually experience.

Halo is one of the few series where the hardest mode doesn't seem unfair too often.

kylej

Banned
I know, I care too much for some odd reason. Like I have to prove Lockout is good. I dont even know why I engage people here so often. You can have your opinion, I can have mine, my superior opinion that is correct, but, we both can have different opinions is what I'm trying to say.

I mean has a single opinion ever swayed in the history of these Halo threads because of other posts? I dont recall a single one.

those of us with the objectively true and great and elite and amazing opinions can only fight against the walls of 343 dee slupers and bks for so long. back to facebook

Duji

Your argument that "The awful spawns on the map don't make the map bad" is just completely unnecessary. What we were arguing about originally is whether or not H2 Lockout TS played well with its given spawns and weapon layout. You just changed the subject to a pretty much pointless discussion. The fact that you did that shows that you don't really know how else to defend the map.

And my opinion has been swayed multiple times. I used to think that the DMR wasn't OP in BTB and then I caved in after seeing well thought out arguments by people like Overdoziz and Karl. I thought the point of this thread and also the whole website was discussion. Uhh, guess not?

FyreWulff

He denied CEA, not that much of a stretch.

This is the only denial I can find:

Frankie said:
Nothing to announce right now, but I can tell you we're not working on any side stories as games at the moment. There'll certainly be more Halo fiction entering the universe, but we've no new games to announce right now [for 2011].

I see a play on words here:

- They weren't working on side stories.
- They weren't announcing any new games for 2011 (Halo 1 isn't new)
- The one game they would eventually announce would be targeted for 2012

Versus Halo 3 PC, which has no playfulness to any of the words. It's just a flat "nope".

FyreWulff

Barring that, if Halo 3 PC were to be happening, MS is going to let you know well in advance to hype up sales for it.

I'm not sure why people actually want that revision of the Blam! engine, though. We'd be better off with Reach PC:

- We could port the Halo 3 content directly into it and have it play exactly like the original game
- It'd run that content at a better framerate and with higher fidelity
- Instead of hacking and hammering new gametypes in, we'd have Megalo scripting to create any gametypes we want from any previous Halo
- The netcode is leagues better in the Reach engineg
- Firefight engine would let us port Halo 3 campaign map sections over for the gametype

It'd be like having a Porsche in the garage and then taking your Prius to work.

Barring that, if Halo 3 PC were to be happening, MS is going to let you know well in advance to hype up sales for it.

I'm not sure why people actually want that revision of the Blam! engine, though. We'd be better off with Reach PC:

- We could port the Halo 3 content directly into it and have it play exactly like the original game
- Instead of hacking and hammering new gametypes in, we'd have Megalo scripting to create any gametypes we want from any previous Halo
- Firefight engine would let us port Halo 3 campaign map sections over for the gametype

Meh Reach sucks and I doubt you could really 'mod' Halo 3 like gameplay out of it.

Ghazi

Here's the thing, Microsoft isn't willing to add in-game ranks to Halo 4 because it runs the risk (in their eyes) of players becoming attached and not moving to newer games. But they're willing to (possibly) re-release Halo 3 on PC where new content can be modded into the game and would revitalize it's fanbase, keeping players from moving onto new games. Microsoft's kinda shooting themselves in the foot here.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

They should just release Reach with everything ported from CE-Reach.

FyreWulff

Meh Reach sucks and I doubt you could really 'mod' Halo 3 like gameplay out of it.

I could go into the tags of Reach right now if I had a JTAG and change the guns to work exactly like the Halo 3 versions. And if I could inject the BR model, I could bring over it's exact spread, damage and firing rate from Halo 3.

The only thing that might be different is physics from using a newer Havok, but nobody really needs to be able to launch flags across Standoff anyway.

Here's the thing, Microsoft isn't willing to add in-game ranks to Halo 4 because it runs the risk (in their eyes) of players becoming attached and not moving to newer games. But they're willing to (possibly) re-release Halo 3 on PC where new content can be modded into the game and would revitalize it's fanbase, keeping players from moving onto new games. Microsoft's kinda shooting themselves in the foot here.

Microsoft also has an already-shipped and working Halo 3 that they won't update to save it's bleeding playerbase. If they were interested in on getting the Halo 3 fans to upgrade to Halo 3 PC, they would be doing a better job of not convincing them to stop playing Halo 3.

I could go into the tags of Reach right now if I had a JTAG and change the guns to work exactly like the Halo 3 versions. And if I could inject the BR model, I could bring over it's exact spread, damage and firing rate from Halo 3.

The only thing that might be different is physics from using a newer Havok, but nobody really needs to be able to launch flags across Standoff anyway.

Wouldn't be Halo 3 if the physics are different.

Ramirez

RIP UK fans

Long live Robert Morris

Such a soulless group of players, team was sunk as soon as Noel went down. Not that they would have done much with him either, they have no get up & go. When the most feisty player on your team is a 6' white kid who walked on, you have issues.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
And yes, that WayPoint video is 100% a glitch because if you watch it on your xbox, you get the same video, but their is subtitles for the Halo: Anniversary launch Trailer on it, which is the same error video for the wakeupjohn code found over a year ago. But judging from the thumbnail and name, their is supposed to be an actual video to go along with it.
Apparently, it was mentioned 343i was aware of the issue and is fixing it from what I'm reading.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Such a soulless group of players, team was sunk as soon as Noel went down. Not that they would have done much with him either, they have no get up & go. When the most feisty player on your team is a 6' white kid who walked on, you have issues.

I stopped being a UK fan when I moved in at Murray State, so I haven't really kept up with them, but I agree with you from what I've seen.

Calipari's a good coach, but it's damn near impossible to consistently perform year after year when most of your starters are one and done.

Karl2177

So I got my disc drive working temporarily. I also found out what was scratching my discs. A piece of plastic flash got pulled vertically and was just cutting into discs. I removed it. Thanks to Fyrewulff's advice, I cleaned the spindle magnets and am now leaving a blank disc in it. I'm finally ready to play Halo Wars. Tried Halo 4 and it'll have to wait until I can get it replaced (looking like the end of the school year though because HotS).

Eh, just make a new flag weap tag that's light enough to be launched by fusion coils.

Done and done (and then coils are removed from matchmaking anyway)

Was just about to say this, If you really wanted you could emulate the Halo 3 Flag physics fine in reach. In fact if you had enough access you could revert Halo Reach back to Halo 3.

It basically needs alterations to biped speed and jump height, weapons porting and some of the physics changing up a bit.

HTupolev

I'm not sure why people actually want that revision of the Blam! engine, though.
Half the reason to port Halo 3 to a more powerful platform is to enjoy the lighting model alongside solid IQ and consistant framerates. Reach's engine isn't as astronomically more efficient than Halo 3's as you're making it out to be, it's just doing a heck of a lot less work on the lighting. (Yes, there are some components that are more efficient, like the particle system, but they probably aren't going to represent that big of a bite out of a PC's hardware anyway.)

Halo 3's original networking has plenty of room for improvement, but a PC port might merit some substantial network engineering regardless of which engine you start with.

FyreWulff

Half the reason to port Halo 3 to a more powerful platform is to enjoy the lighting model alongside solid IQ and consistant framerates. Reach's engine isn't as astronomically more efficient than Halo 3's as you're making it out to be, it's just doing a heck of a lot less work on the lighting. (Yes, there are some components that are more efficient, like the particle system, but they probably aren't going to represent that big of a bite out of a PC's hardware anyway.)

Halo 3's original networking has plenty of room for improvement, but a PC port might merit some substantial network engineering regardless of which engine you start with.

We'd gain the full HDR range back since they wouldn't be trying to fit everything inside 10MB of RAM.

Same reason a theoretical port of Halo 3 wouldn't be running at 640p vertical res.

Madness

What was the bone of contention though? That the weapon placement and spawns made it a bad map? Or that it was just a bad map regardless?

Because I liked Lockout and thought it made for hectic 4v4 gameplay.

What was the bone of contention though? That the weapon placement and spawns made it a bad map? Or that it was just a bad map regardless?

Because I liked Lockout and thought it made for hectic 4v4 gameplay.

I don't know, the argument isn't really good because all duji's points were wrong.

kylej

Banned
thou shalt not take the name of glorious and ancient battlefields in vain. talk about about complex and spire not lockout thank u

Top Bottom