• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Madness

It just feels like Halo 4 was super-rushed, while Reach was something that they took their time with and poured their souls into it until they thought it was perfect (which may have been their downfall on Reach), they only made changes on fan feedback and not on things that they didn't have time to add to development. Honestly I've had more fun with Reach and enjoyed it more, especially with BTB and Invasion. It was just a really fun experience that I felt I could relax in and not go into super competitive mode. With Halo 4 I'm always getting frustrated and I feel like I'm not enjoying my time with it. Yesterday I got frustrated to the point where I calmy ejected the disk from my Xbox, put it in the case, and kicked it into my bathroom. I've never gotten so angry at a game this gen before, so I'm putting it down for now. Granted I was playing Infinity BTB on Meltdown instead of Throwdown for some reason and Throwdown + the TU is the only reason I'm even considering coming back to H4 at all.

Another thing that hurt Reach was the fact Bungie all but abandoned it aside from a small sustain team working on playlist changes. I mean in December the Noble pack launched and after that, there was no further devekopment for Reach. The transition started and by July of 2011 after Bungie vs the World, they stopped Reach altogether.

343 tried to maintain Reach as best as possible, but with the anniversary paywall and the fact the 343 team was knee deep in Halo 4, it's almost like Reach was just pushed to the side by both Bungie and 343.

stephen08

Why didn't you mention this earlier? Could've saved me the time and effort of typing that post out. lol

And this surely is an interesting argument. Tying the main progression system with a ranking system definitely brings more people to play the ranking system, yes. But to say that making them independent will drastically reduce the overall incentive to play the ranked playlist(s)... I disagree. The problem is that Reach didn't show your (or your opponent's) Arena rank in non-Arena playlists without forcing you to click through five different menus. I can guarantee you that a lot more people would have played the Arena if people got to flaunt their Onyx badges next to their gamertags. We wouldn't even be having this argument right now if they implemented the Arena properly into the game's UI (Note to Reach UI lovers: Yep, even the beloved Reach UI was not without major faults).

The whole flaunting their Onyx badges is the exact practice Bungie and now 343 have tried to prevent while maintaining ranks for those that actually want more competitive matches with something on the line. This is undesirable from their perspective as it should be. Once you place importance on that you get people doing all the tricks in order to get this rank.

In an ideal world, Halo 3 ranks work great. People play to their maximum ability and you get a sense of what your competition is like before a match starts. This is not the reality of the situation though.

It doesn't do much for me either, I'm already dreading the social aspect and playing with friends. It's why I wrote into the mail sack about whether lone wolves like me could play by ourselves and they responded yes.

I don't think it's meant to replace Halo at all, just like Starcraft doesn't replace a Civilization or Saints Row replaces a Grand Theft Auto.

All it is, is a new first person shooter made by the studio that brought you Halo 1-3, ODST and Reach. That alone is enough to get you excited.

Now sure someone expecting a 4v4 slayer with equal starts may be disappointed, but any gamer should be excited at a new game that promises to change the genre and how we play.

I get excited just like I do when seeing a game like Watch Dogs etc. I'm all in favor of new games/experiences.

EDIT: I can easily see it turning into a big series. I mean look at Mass Effect. Came onto the scene in 2007 and already rivals Halo in terms of fans, books, comics, almost even games. It all depends on how it plays. In fact I think I probably know more about the Mass effect franchise than anything about Halo post Reach. I've yet to read any new forerunner books, disliked the Halo 4 story etc.

Bungie is in a unique place though. They aren't really trying to go for the CoD crowd but they are targeting us. How many times did they mention Halo in that ViDoc? They even showed a statue of Master Chief in the Sony show. Make no mistake about it, we are their target. If they have anything resembling a legit MP experience full of options like Halo 3 and Reach its going to explode. The CoD crowd in not hurting and looking at other options, the Halo fan has had enough.

Is any Halo fan here seriously going to hold Reach against Bungie for why Destiny might be bad?

If Destiny is like Reach, then Destiny will be an amazing game, because Reach was an amazing game, just not an amazing Halo game.

When 343 says "Trust us.", I don't and have no faith. If Bungie says "Trust us." I'll believe them with all my heart. Bungie makes amazing games.

Conor 419

Banned
WAHRER WINS THE CONTEST!

Enjoy your stuff!

This was the winning image btw, it had me rolling.

This part specifically.
8562936729_49b6535c86_m.jpg

image.php

I love showing up in Wahrer's stuff.

Though I don't really get what's happening.

Totally disagree. Who was the studio Sony brought in to close the show? They made Halo, not Halo 4. Those Bungie guys are going to be all over the community, they know what they are doing.

That said, I think the combination of Destiny and CoD on multiple last gen/next gen platforms puts Halo 5 in a bad place. Yes Reach started the bad trends but Halo is not very popular right now. People are not running out to buy another console for it.

Keep in mind the 360 also had a year ahead of the PS3. This year they will be launching in the same season.

I'd forgotten about the Sony showcase. I'm not up to date on the Destiny releases.

Conor 419

Banned
@Tunavi

Sure,

1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey
4. Mormapope
5. Mystery Guest
6. Kamikaze Ghazi
7. StalkerUKCG
8. Monsterfracas
9. IHaveIce GT = IHaveAnIce
10. DeadNames
11. Foxtrot
12. Devolution
13. Redford
14. TCKaos
15. Madness
16. Kittens

+ Available if Space

1. versatil7
2.gAg CruSh3r
3. randomrosso93

Karl2177

Steelyuhas, Monsterfracas, xxjuicesxx, vhfive, heckfu, Franklinator, Trasher, Hydranockz, and Homeboyd are all worthless. Their opinions are invalid from here on out.

orznge

Banned
Destiny could either become the next CoD or it could disappear into obscurity after 9 months.
But I really don't think Destiny is going to rival Halo as a franchise, because let's face it - Halo has games, books, video shows, manga, action figures, and a slew of other merchandise that puts it in a league behind Star Wars.

I doubt Bungie can out-Bungie themselves in that department.

all they need to do is put a ton of money into marketing and slap "FROM THE CREATORS OF HALO" all over everything

Duji

The whole flaunting their Onyx badges is the exact practice Bungie and now 343 have tried to prevent while maintaining ranks for those that actually want more competitive matches with something on the line. This is undesirable from their perspective as it should be. Once you place importance on that you get people doing all the tricks in order to get this rank.

In an ideal world, Halo 3 ranks work great. People play to their maximum ability and you get a sense of what your competition is like before a match starts. This is not the reality of the situation though.

So you agree with their view that we shouldn't be able to show off our badges of honor because of cheating?

stephen08

So you agree with their view that we shouldn't be able to show off our badges of honor because of cheating?

Not exactly. 'Showing it off' brings nothing of value to the community. In a ranked only playlist (like Arena) when you are specifically playing for ranks (like Arena), sure have them all be visible (like Arena). Letting it bleed out to other lists like you want is the problem though.

Ghazi

Another thing that hurt Reach was the fact Bungie all but abandoned it aside from a small sustain team working on playlist changes. I mean in December the Noble pack launched and after that, there was no further devekopment for Reach. The transition started and by July of 2011 after Bungie vs the World, they stopped Reach altogether.

343 tried to maintain Reach as best as possible, but with the anniversary paywall and the fact the 343 team was knee deep in Halo 4, it's almost like Reach was just pushed to the side by both Bungie and 343.

I remember playing Reach all day that day in hopes of being matched with them. Same with H3 too! At this moment I can only think that the only things that really needed to be nerfed was Armor Lock & reducing/removing bloom. Along with the various bug fixes I don't remember it needing to be updated that badly. Obviously it had its flaws but many of the things couldn't be patched out. Of course I haven't played Reach (for more than a couple matches) in over 6 months so I'm probably wrong. Aside from the terribad playlist management and the infrequent fixes it wasn't managed that well (like you said), but they were in the process of handing everything to 343 and beginning work on Destiny. With 343 working on Halo 4 and Bungie probably starting Destiny at some point after Reach's launch I could see no one but CA having time for Reach. Also, what happened to Halo 3's playlist consolidation? Is that not to be expected now?

Duji

Not exactly. 'Showing it off' brings nothing of value to the community. In a ranked only playlist (like Arena) when you are specifically playing for ranks (like Arena), sure have them all be visible (like Arena). Letting it bleed out to other lists like you want is the problem though.

Yea, that's what I meant, my bad. So displaying it in other lists is the problem, then? Because you think it needlessly encourages cheating?

matthieuC

Remember when Halo had foliage on its maps?

and lol. It's just three rocks.

Better than nothing I guess
That's exactly what many forgers have been wanting: a completely flat and empty space where they can build anything without something getting in the way. BTB forgers especially.

@Tunavi

Sure,

1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey
4. Mormapope
5. Mystery Guest
6. Kamikaze Ghazi
7. StalkerUKCG
8. Monsterfracas
10. DeadNames
11. Foxtrot
12. Devolution
13. Redford
14. TCKaos
15. Madness
16. Kittens

+ Available if Space

1. versatil7
2.gAg CruSh3r
3. randomrosso93
What is this list for?

FyreWulff

AFq5yHp.jpg

Considering I'm definitely undermeasuring it, I think Big Island is roughly 80x80 WU.

an 80x80 area is almost the entire island in Forge World..

VMuK9wMl.jpg

and most of, but not all of, Blood Gulch:

V8Ekbk9l.jpg

80x80 would also make sense as the biggest you can make any volume (objective, spawn zone, safe zone) is 100x100, so making the island 80x80 would let you cover it with a single Safe volume effectively + breathing room for flying vehicles to turn around in

Rev3rb

@Tunavi

Sure,

1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey
4. Mormapope
5. Mystery Guest
6. Kamikaze Ghazi
7. StalkerUKCG
8. Monsterfracas
10. DeadNames
11. Foxtrot
12. Devolution
13. Redford
14. TCKaos
15. Madness
16. Kittens

+ Available if Space

1. versatil7
2.gAg CruSh3r
3. randomrosso93

Devolution still plays Halo?

^ Ok, its bigger than it looked.

Pax East Halo 4 Panel Forge Island - YouTube

Skip ahead a bit to see some good footage of the islands.

Looks like Ravine visual aesthetics with Ragnarok ground textures. Its free, so I'm cool with that, but its too bad they didn't go for a look we didn't see as often in Forge.

This will be awesome for btb forge maps.. too bad one of the islands weren't a pinch bigger. Also, was that a mix of UNSC and Forerunner pieces?

@Tunavi

Sure,

1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey
4. Mormapope
5. Mystery Guest
6. Kamikaze Ghazi
7. StalkerUKCG
8. Monsterfracas
10. DeadNames
11. Foxtrot
12. Devolution
13. Redford
14. TCKaos
15. Madness
16. Kittens

+ Available if Space

1. versatil7
2.gAg CruSh3r
3. randomrosso93

Mind if i join? GT: rogue ag3nt 1

Nowise10

9UbX3pv.png

There is the confirmation that Destiny is going to be on the Xbox 720 if it wasnt obvious already. Me and my friend found it on an employees portfolio.

Top Bottom