• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Fuchsdh

This post is like winning the lottery and complaining about all the taxes you have to pay.

People wanted it. They gave it to them. Spin as negative.

I will say that hearing people cheer about the red x gave me douche chills, though.

Random aside: My grandma has thus far evaded declaring bankruptcy on more than $50,000 in credit card debt from medical bills. Last year some of that debt was forgiven and she was complaining that she had to pay like $150 in taxes because forgiven debt counts as income.

As to Forge Island: indeed. People got what they wanted--Forge World with much more economy.

Wow.

just noticed that, in composer, where you seal the landing bay and you can see installation 3 in the background.... If you watch carefully over the water on the ring, you can see clouds moving across the landscape.

343 I heart you. Can we have halo 5 on Durango now please :)

Omni

Wow.

just noticed that, in composer, where you seal the landing bay and you can see installation 3 in the background.... If you watch carefully over the water on the ring, you can see clouds moving across the landscape.

343 I heart you. Can we have halo 5 on Durango now please :)

Oh? I find that interesting considering almost every other backdrop in the game is a horribly compressed static .jpg. Composer is such a good level though... Probably the best in the game.

Even NeoGAF is not immune. I would have expected all the hype to die down once they realized that most of the new features aren't likely to be that amazing...
Yeah same. Think it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better

OverHeat

« generous god »
so the big reveal is we now have flat ground to place grey blocks on. halo 4 is saved
Never happy
By the way I know exactly way I play less Halo 4 this days and no it's not because the game is bad. But because almost all of my friend list as moved to call of duty and their is nothing more frustrating then joining a gang of randoms and be the only one going positive. I don't know why but Halo is the only game that make me mad if I lose a game even If I had a good game.

Forge Island is a fairly underwhelming announcement, ultimately I think something with the geometry of Forge World with a flat island instead of paradiso would have been better than just a flat island and nothing else.

Not complaining, its awesome that FINALLY people have a flat land to forge on, and its awesome that its free, but considering the map is simply 3 large flat pieces, it should have come with the game tbh.

After Reach I think im just wary of Forge so perhaps thats why I am not totally excited for the map.

gAg CruSh3r

This post is like winning the lottery and complaining about all the taxes you have to pay.

I will say that hearing people cheer about the red x gave me douche chills, though.

Exactly. I and many other big forgers out there are excited for this. Why complain about free?

This is 343i first full game. They are trying to fix what they can now. I would rather have them have everything right for Halo 5. Then people complain about Halo 4 and 343i trying to please everyone.

Fuchsdh

Oh? I find that interesting considering almost every other backdrop in the game is a horribly compressed static .jpg. Composer is such a good level though... Probably the best in the game.

Yeah same. Think it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better

The thing that throws water on it for me is A) the features sound cool in theory, but it's Sony, so I don't trust they really have thought out how they're going to implement these well, rather than just checking off boxes; and B) I've been spoiled by Apple announcements. Straight, to the point, with articulate people on stage, and they show the damn product, give a release date, and drop a price. Boom. I can't get hyped by an awkward marriage of a 360 controller, a Dualshock and a touchscreen.

That said, I'm hopeful that Microsoft approaches some of the same desires for better sharing and social features in a less obtrusive way. The only real complaint I have with the current gen is that it's clear things got added piecemeal over time to XBL and they never really adapted it fully. The dashboard is clean, but it doesn't allow me to quickly navigate to what I want, or find certain screens (like my downloads list.) A better Kinect integration (which we know is coming) could help with voice commands, but that shouldn't be used as a crutch in the face of making the console more usable.

Exactly. I and many other big forgers out there are excited for this. Why complain about free?

This is 343i first full game. They are trying to fix what they can now. I would rather have them have everything right for Halo 5. Then people complain about Halo 4 and 343i trying to please everyone.

Well, they're not going to have everything right in Halo 5, just like Bungie never made the perfect Halo that could satisfy everyone. But all their post-release updates have been ameliorating a lot of complaints people had about the game--Doubles, Throwdown, smaller maps, good Forge maps, X's, and now a Forge canvas and individual weapon tweaks, custom options even Bungie never produced.

Overdoziz

Banned

I think the new map looks great, but I can't help but wonder why it took this long for them to understand that Forgers want flat natural terrain. Along with most of the other changes it seems like they chose to ignored the fanbase until after launch. Even then it's not that hard to figure out that having Forge maps that have impractical natural geometry isn't ideal. It's like 343 told CA to just make some nice looking maps and allow Forging on it.

Nearly every good update 343 has made to Halo 4 feels like something that should've been there already to begin with. Smaller maps, red Xs, flat Forge terrain, ranks, file sharing, etc. should've been in the game when it launched, not 5 months down the line when most of the people who bought the game have left already.

kylej

Banned

Spin as negative? It does nothing for the population on two levels. One - nobody cares about it except Forgers and I'm not sure if that community exists anymore after CA took a dump on them with Halo 4, and two, we're dependent on 343's matchmaking team to see any fruits of their labor, which I have approximately zero confidence in.

Everything we've received post release is something that should've been in the game in the first place, and as someone who paid $60 expecting a full featured product instead of a half-baked outsourced Halo game: fuck that. Is it better than not having it? I guess, but once again it is far too little, far too late. When you fly across the country to host a panel at a large game expo, and your big reveal for your dying game is, "Hey guys, here's a field coming sometime in the future. Also buy our map pack!". That's the wrong message.

Mix

When I first heard about Forge Island, I thought it would be a remake of Forge World, but I am much happier with this.

Spin as negative? It does nothing for the population on two levels. One - nobody cares about it except Forgers and I'm not sure if that community exists anymore after CA took a dump on them with Halo 4, and two, we're dependent on 343's matchmaking team to see any fruits of their labor, which I have approximately zero confidence iion.

Everything we've received post release is something that should've been in the game in the first place, and as someone who paid $60 expecting a full featured product instead of a half-baked outsourced Halo game: fuck that. Is it better than not having it? I guess, but once again it is far too little, far too late. When you fly across the country to host a panel at a large game expo, and your big reveal for your dying game is, "Hey guys, here's a field coming sometime in the future. Also buy our map pack!". That's the wrong message.

Bottom line, they screwed this whole thing up. They were thrown a meatball right fown the middle of the plate. Just build on what bungie did right. Instead they got cute and the result is the worst online population of any Halo. Even worse the ones playing are half invisible campers or jetpacking auto spammers.

It's definitely a good thing, and I'm very happy to see MS are paying for it.

But what has been on my mind, since the announcement is the fact that the question I'd have asked at the Q&A would be along the lines of:
"I'm super happy ye have decided to do this, and think having it be free is definitely the right thing to do for the community, but I have to ask why it wasn't the very first thing ye set out to do when they first sat down to figure out Forge in Halo 4. I see an open flat space as the key starting point for almost all Forge endeavours."

Seriously. A wide open forging space is the key minimum in my mind for Forge, not a bonus coming half a year later.

kylej

Banned
We will never hear the thought process behind any decision in the game, which is a shame because that's half the problem.

tbh a lot of halo 'fans' come across as being a touch entitled.

343 did an amazing job. Its better than any bungie game since halo 2... And all we ever here it nit picking... People need to get lives and realize they themselves absolutely could not do better, despite their endless pontificating.

its painfully obvious how much 343 have put into this game and how much they care about the fans.

give it a rest already.

edit... Whingers in general. Not directing this at anyone in particular.

343 did an amazing job. Its better than any bungie game since halo 2... And all we ever here it nit picking... People need to get lives and realize they themselves absolutely could not do better, despite their endless pontificating.

its painfully obvious how much 343 have put into this game and how much they care about the fans.

give it a rest already.

life must be hard when the glass is always half empty.
Life must be hard when you can only tell people how to post and not have them post how you want them to.

Never happy
By the way I know exactly way I play less Halo 4 this days and no it's not because the game is bad. But because almost all of my friend list as moved to call of duty and their is nothing more frustrating then joining a gang of randoms and be the only one going positive. I don't know why but Halo is the only game that make me mad if I lose a game even If I had a good game.

No ranks.

No descoping when shot

Flinch.

Worst UI since macintosh '88

JIP broken

Ordnances

Loadout weapons

Vehicles

Aim Assist & Magnetism

Local awareness -- a useful HUD

No dedis

host switching

no campaign theater

File share doesn't work until months after release

I could go on. The point is, who the fuck wants them wasting time on a couple of flat, blank surfaces when there are literally hundreds of core problems with this game? What community wanted something that should have been given to us in Halo: Reach when all this other shit is out of whack? Frankie should be embarrassed thinking this forge crap was going to do anything.

L-O-L

give it a rest already.

Halo 4 is better than Halo 3? Please tell me how? As far as mp and user options Halo 4 doesnt even touch Reach.

I can't believe the UI, the first thing you fucking see, the thing you constantly have to look at and deal with, wasn't a giant, annoying red siren with a megaphone to 343. How did they seriously look at that and say "yeah, this is fine, no problems here!"

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I can't believe the UI, the first thing you fucking see, the thing you constantly have to look at and deal with, wasn't a giant, annoying red siren with a megaphone to 343. How did they seriously look at that and say "yeah, this is fine, no problems here!"

i'm more baffled that anyone would link the UI, as bad as it may be, to " a giant, annoying red siren with a megaphone". its UI. does it really impact the game THAT much?

No ranks.

No descoping when shot

Flinch.

Worst UI since macintosh '88

JIP broken

Ordnances

Loadout weapons

Vehicles

Aim Assist & Magnetism

Local awareness -- a useful HUD

No dedis

host switching

no campaign theater

File share doesn't work until months after release

I could go on. The point is, who the fuck wants them wasting time on a couple of flat, blank surfaces when there are literally hundreds of core problems with this game? What community wanted something that should have been given to us in Halo: Reach when all this other shit is out of whack? Frankie should be embarrassed thinking this forge crap was going to do anything.

L-O-L

BTW, nobody is saying 343iu shouldnt have tried anything new. The problem is they removed the ability for the player to customize the game, a Halo staple. That is their arrogance. This is what is setting everyone off.

Its like this, 343i is basically saying this is what.we think and how you will play. We dont care that nobody is playing. Look how many people have played! Here is some flat map. Now be quiet

Gui_PT

except it does for me.

:D

ijUrrpHEJv8p.gif

i'm more baffled that anyone would link the UI, as bad as it may be, to " a giant, annoying red siren with a megaphone". its UI. does it really impact the game THAT much?

It just shows how stupid and out of touch they are with the meaning of the word "good"

BTW, nobody is saying 343iu shouldnt have tried anything new. The problem is they removed the ability for the player to customize the game, a Halo staple. That is their arrogance. This is what is setting everyone off.

Its like this, 343i is basically saying this is what.we think and how you will play. We dont care that nobody is playing. Look how many people have played! Here is some flat map. Now be quiet

Trying something new is fine, but it should be a logical step in a similar direction. We had a nice little UI with halo 3 with lines next to groups to show parties. Then in reach they improved upon this and made it a little prettier and user friendly. Then 4 comes along and they literally flip it all around and add useless aesthetics and make finding information tedious and longer.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

No it doesn't. It's not as good as Bungie's but it's more than serviceable. A little buggy too but it's not as bad as he's making it out to be. Waypoint kid is just looking for attention

No it doesn't. It's not as good as Bungie's but it's more than serviceable. A little buggy too but it's not as bad as he's making it out to be. Waypoint kid is just looking for attention

My visual and physical connection with this game is buggy....ship it. You're totally right.

give it a rest already.

Umm. Your entire post is flawed. And comes out as a fanboy.

If you research all the amazing MP features from Bungie's Halo Games in Comparison to 343's there's a huge difference.

I also don't believe you're a veteran to the franchise to understand this.

Let Juices, Big Show & Kyle Cleanse you with said Logic.

Omni

life must be hard when the glass is always half empty.

Realist at heart.

In regards to the UI, it's definitely a step back. Though aside from the fileshare section which is a complete mess, the rest isn't too bad after a while. It honestly stopped bothering me after the first like... two days.

Tawpgun

Did they release a vid of the panel?

Anyway, I'm heading back, I have some questions regarding yesterday's announcements, do you guys have any good ones?

Mainly, can you forge on the water and can you adjust spread/bloom as well as magnetism and red reticle difference.

Omni

Anyway, I'm heading back, I have some questions regarding yesterday's announcements, do you guys have any good ones?

Mainly, can you forge on the water and can you adjust spread/bloom as well as magnetism and red reticle difference.
Not yet... I don't think so anyway.

But yeah, I'm rather curious about forging near/on the water too.

Blinding

Shut up dude, you're garbage. Think everyone is a waypoint idiot when you'd probably fit in better there than here.

Gee, you sure are making friends.

I agree with jhferry, my problem with 4 isn't the design decisions 343i made, it's that they didn't include the customization options to rid of the ones I don't enjoy. Just based upon population numbers alone I bet that they won't be making the same mistake twice with Halo 5, at least I hope they don't.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Does the new forge world just have the same spaces as the last forge world? I see similar areas.

Edit: Bogey you could just, you know, stop playing Halo 4.

Actually, i would be interested in any new custom options. Not being sarcastic but is there anything new we can customize as a result of the TU.

Top Bottom