• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So whats new in matchmaking today? I did try and check on Waypoint, but that site is terrible and doesnt seem to have an easy way to find last weeks bulletin.

FFA Forge Contest finalists have a playlist - 8 Maps

Throwdown got a huge update. v3 settings are in and now it has a Pro variant that's a port of Doubles Pro.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So whats new in matchmaking today? I did try and check on Waypoint, but that site is terrible and doesnt seem to have an easy way to find last weeks bulletin.
New Forge FFA playlist, and Majestic maps in Throwdown. And something about Spartan Ops that I don't remember, lol.

Throwdown got a huge update. v3 settings are in and now it has a Pro variant that's a port of Doubles Pro.
Whoa, sweet, good to know.

Rev3rb

Awesome, can't wait to try the new forge maps!

I would love the Throwdown update if:

1. I had a team to go into the playlist with
2. I had a team to go into the playlist with

And I think Lightning CTF is finally in Action Sack.

aexguCe.png

I agree the movement options are less useful because of all the player momentum. I jumped off the map twice by accident on Lockout remake in Throwdown because of how the additional speed works with the momentum players gain in Halo 4. I think it was a few games into Throwdown too so I wasnt not used to it, it was just not good.

They really need to let strafing come back, Halo 2 battles were so much more interesting because of the looseness of the system, even with all dat auto aim.

BigShow36

They really need to let strafing come back, Halo 2 battles were so much more interesting because of the looseness of the system, even with all dat auto aim.

At least I felt engaged, like I was an active participant in the firefight rather than a disinterested third-party like I do now.

I just played a few matches of throwdown and really liked some of the changes. The map updates in particular we're really nice.

LosDaddie

Banned
Horrible. Just horrible.

Playing Halo 4 only during the weekend(s) is killing any skill I had in this game. Not that I was any good to begin with, but I'm rusty as hell for at least the first night I start playing again. Like for example this past weekend; It wasn't until Sat. night that I was doing decent again. But then I was too busy yesterday with family/house stuff to get any gaming in. :(

So, back to clearing out a backlog game during the week (right now: Mario Galaxy 2), and back on Halo 4 on Friday night

IHaveIce

Banned
Good posts about damage/strafe/speed relations. Bigshow with some on point posts

Still crazy that we haven't got an option to tweak strafe and acceleration.

And I played 1 game in the FFA list.. on a map on Erosion.. what the fuck why build on that piece of shit.
Also it was an automatic weapon kill fest..disgusting.

Awesome, can't wait to try the new forge maps!

I would love the Throwdown update if:

1. I had a team to go into the playlist with
2. I had a team to go into the playlist with

You, me, TCKaos, ExWife (and kittens dix) will clean house.

"Convincing reasons why red Spartans fight blue Spartans" don't mean shit if you're not letting us get competitively attached to the gameplay itself.

At least I felt engaged, like I was an active participant in the firefight rather than a disinterested third-party like I do now.

Yea thats a good way of how I put it when I ranted during Halo 3 everything was too slow I felt like I was watching what was happening rather than playing the game.

IHaveIce

Banned
Fuck my headset microphone doesn't work anymore on the xbox and I don't know if it is the microphone slot on the controller, the microphone itself, the cable for the microphone or some settings are the problem.. I have no other to test it :(

My good old turtle beachs :(

And I also want to play throwdown with HaloGaf! I will have to fix my audio first though

Alright, guys, hypothetical time. HaloGAF is given unlimited money and girlfriends to pay for 5 official Halo titles.

Who's split up into what groups, and how would the games turn out?

-There can be overlapping production teams
-They do not have to taste like Halo (FPS arena shooter isn't the only option)
-Unlimited time and resources allowed.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Lightning CTF is weird. The high gravity feels awkward. Also, the man cannon on Adrift do not work. I'm sad that you don't actually carry the flag in your hands. :(

Alright, guys, hypothetical time. HaloGAF is given unlimited money and girlfriends to pay for 5 official Halo titles.

USER_Marty_bailar%C3%ADn_H3ODST.gif

ODST 2: New Phoenix Dance Party

Halo Battlefront
Halo Effect
Halo ODST 2
Halo War Games [Stand alone MP title with constant support]
Promethean [Play as the didact during the forerunner/precursor war]

I want to recruit. Kyle, Wareh, Juices, Heckfu, Ramirez, Tashi and HiredN00bs, Demoncarnotaur. I expect the most productive of board meetings.

Juices: Core Multiplayer Lead Designer (handles core, competitive gametypes)
Wareh: Fiest Multiplayer Lead Designer (handles secondary for fun gametypes)
Kyle: Playlist Management
Heckfu: Community Manager, Creative Director
Demoncarnotaur: Art Lead
Tashi: Lead Creative Director
Ramirez: Multiplayer Development (works with juices and wareh)
Stalker: Franchise Development Director
HiredN00bs: Franchise Development, Writer

Halo Battlefront
Halo Effect
Halo ODST 2
Halo War Games [Stand alone MP title with constant support]
Promethean [Play as the didact during the forerunner/precursor war]

I want to recruit. Kyle, Wareh, Juices, Heckfu, Ramirez, Tashi and HiredN00bs. I expect the most productive of board meetings.

That weird pipe in my briefcase is an ancient artifact I'm using to study different cultures for Promethean environment inspiration.

Also I'm going to need two lunch breaks.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok here is my developement plan and franchise handling.

There will be one big maingame it will release with campaign, firefight and spartan ops.
Campaign theater is also included.

Additional it gives you a free voucher to two download games ( Halo live Arena and Halo creator) both are also seperately aviable for 10 $

Halo live Arena
This is a standalone multiplayer game, 60 fps, dedicated servers and full blown custom options, base gameplay is arena shooter
Btb modes possible for servers.
Theater aviable much improved.

The game is fully supported and advertised for years.( info on this below)

Halo creator is a full blown map creator and modder
It is also fully supported and advertised for years.

More Maintitles are just like the above described campaign game but they will include map,skin, assets and weapon packs for Halo live arena and Creator

These updates are also seperately aviable for the standalone games.

Think of big patches coming to the year long supported everytime a main title comes out.

Now hiring. I want juices, bigshow, duji,orznge and kyle for sure for Halo Live Arena.

Wahrer is concept artist

Edit: sorry for bad english and spelling on phone and german :(

Rev3rb

Ok here is my developement plan and franchise handling.

There will be one big maingame it will release with campaign, firefight and spartan ops.
Campaign theater is also included.

Additional it gives you a free voucher to two download games ( Halo live Arena and Halo creator) both are also seperately aviable for 10 $

Halo live Arena
This is a standalone multiplayer game, 60 fps, dedicated servers and full blown custom options, base gameplay is arena shooter
Btb modes possible for servers.
Theater aviable much improved.

The game is fully supported and advertised for years.( info on this below)

Halo creator is a full blown map creator and modder
It is also fully supported and advertised for years.

More Maintitles are just like the above described campaign game but they will include map,skin, assets and weapon packs for Halo live arena and Creator

These updates are also seperately aviable for the standalone games.

Think of big patches coming to the year long supported everytime a main title comes out.

Now hiring. I want juices, bigshow, duji,orznge and kyle for sure for Halo Live Arena.

Wahrer is concept artist

Edit: sorry for bad english and spelling on phone and german :(

Who are your programmers?

:p

Hire me and I'll make sure we never see a Lockout remake ever again (among other things).

I'd rather play Lockout 10 games in a row if it means one less weaker map in the game.

Screw it. Every map pack should contain at least one remake from H1/H2 because they were that good. I'm done with new forgettable maps.. Bring on an era of remakes and community created maps through a more sufficient map editor for future Halo releases. Hang 'Em High over Adrift any day.

The best thing about any Gears release was that Flashback map pack. In fact, every new Halo game should include at least 5 remakes from H1/H2 so we could have a more direct comparison of changes between games. Haters be damned B]

Chiron or bust.

I'd probably draw a fucking dictionary and a half worth of concepts for you guys and then I'd found out it was just to keep me busy long enough to ship the game.

I also have a humble request for 343. My new Needler runs on Blamethyst instead of Blamite. Can it be canon?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Some games I thought of:

Game 1 - Halo: Mythos

Campaign-only game with 21 missions telling different stories in the Halo universe
Missions 1-3: Exploring the history of the Precursors, Forerunners and humans.
Missions 4-6: The story of a guy who joins the Insurrection.
Missions 7-9: Takes place on Harvest during first contact with the Covenant.
Missions 10-12: The war from the perspective of a Sangheili general.
Missions 13-15: Explores post-war Sangheilios.
Missions 16-18: Adaptations of Homecoming, Mona Lisa, and Pariah.
Missions 19-21: A story about a group of ODSTs who are recruited into the SPARTAN-IV program.

Game 2 - Halo: Multiplayer Evolved

A multiplayer-only game that lets players create highly customized gametypes using Megalo and custom maps that incorporate custom vehicles, weapons, and more. Any user-made weapon, vehicle, Equipment, or AA can be inserted into any custom map, allowing an near infinite number of possible games. There will also be a global Spartan and Elite armour customization system, and several other species (Knights, Brutes, ODSTs, Marines, etc) you can play as, but with only limited customization. There will also be a system where players can monetize their gametypes, maps, weapons, vehicles, etc, and players who donate a certain amount will get an image of the map on a page in their Service Record or something like that. Anything from a giant space map reminiscent of Sandtrap but with warships instead of Elephants to a Mario Kart-style racing game would be possible. Also, the ability to have up to 64 players at once would be cool.

I don't have any more game ideas other than this.

ODST 2 New Phoenix: | New Phoenix is a city that was composed at the end of Halo 4. It's seen in the epilogue.
Phoenixstreet.jpg

• A good starting point would be to build off of the idea that a whole bunch of ODSTs are dropped into New Phoenix in pursuit of the Didact and Prometheans. We follow Buck and his squad once again on a mission to secure the city and find out what the Prometheans are doing.

• All the urban exploration of ODST would remain, and the HUB will be packed with more enemies, easter eggs, caches, and treasure hunting. There could even be mini-modes in the HUB, like time trial goosing or search and destroy. Why not go a step further and include specs-ops missions in the HUB separate from the Campaign and Firefight? The idea would be to give people a plethora of post-game Campaign content to explore in the HUB.

• There'd be a greater emphasis on stealth so that the AI would not auto-detect you after one shot. There'd also be more freedom to roam around the map, allowing you to enter more buildings and jump across rooftops like Halo 2.

• Part of the city would be abandoned again (due to the effects of the composer), but this time the ODSTs will start together and get separated into two different squads. This way, there's an anxiety throughout the game that you're losing team members and your chance of surviving the mission. We would need to feel the city's despair through the protagonist. The detective aspect would remain, with clues of our teammates' disappearances and the fate of the city itself appearing throughout. Flashbacks will just be replaced with a swap between Buck's Squad and Rookie's Squad.

• The Campaign would strive to take the average player 8 hours on Normal. Higher difficulties would increase the amount of AI and their responsiveness, as well as decrease the weapons, vehicles, and friendlies you have available to you. The more difficult you make the game, the more you have to conserve your resources and play strategically.

• There would be more wide-scale vehicular combat, like a part early on where traffic is still moving and you're having an intense crossfire in a densely populated urban area. Then later on, you'd roll a tank and blast through abandoned cars and enemies while civilians are running the other way. Think Exodus from Reach except in the streets!

• There'd also be missions consisting of intense shootouts and CQB with your squad against 'composed humans' (basically zombies).

• Firefight would return with more of the Reach customization, except there'd be a greater emphasis on teamwork and survival. Players will need to hold strategic areas of the map and ration their supplies to get high scores and reach new waves. Reaching these waves could unlock new features, modes, and other thing sfor players. It would also include the promethean zombie mode (direct attempt at capitalizing on it, except with its own twists) as well as vehicle-based firefight.

• One major difference from ODST is that this would feature a multiplayer of its own. Base gameplay would be arenaish, but the trick is some modes would be like an FPSRTS where you have AI troops on your team (think Generator Defense from Reach). Old gametypes like CTF, Assault, and Territories return, but there would be hybrids of Gen Defense, Invasion, and others with AI included. These would incorporate the map, compass, and VISR into play as well. It'd have to feel like its own multiplayer though, and not too much like traditional Spartan Halo or another FPS. It would include remakes of Turf, Terminal, etc.

• There'd also be a degree of customization on FF and MP maps and a more basic Forge mode for them.

• We'd need a new AI because it wouldn't make much sense to bring the superintendent along...

•
Buck's gotta go out in a meaningful way

nathan-fillion-nothing-to-say.gif

Gimme any ODST fanboys bigger than myself and let's ship that shit.

If ODST 2 happens and we play as the Rookie, my only request is that they tie in the short story Dirt from Evolutions. It involves the Rookie hearing a story from a wounded marine who ultimately detonates a nuke on a mountain range to clear out covenant giving the Rookie just enough time to escape.

So let's deconstruct his mute protagonist aspect by giving him PTSD-induced silence.

Also he needs a SAW. Film noir + tommy gun? Fuck yes.

Top Bottom