• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

BigShow36

I'd probably draw a fucking dictionary and a half worth of concepts for you guys and then I'd found out it was just to keep me busy long enough to ship the game.

I also have a humble request for 343. My new Needler runs on Blamethyst instead of Blamite. Can it be canon?

Speaking of the Needler; holy shit is that thing OP in Halo 4. If you're caught in the open against that thing you might as well just drop the controller.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Whoever picks me gets a ride in my Warthog.

BFYTCllCEAAyoGr.jpg:large

Also, hi HaloGAF.

Ohhhhhhhh. I see.

Also, Stalker, Creative Lead sounds like the biggest bullshit title ever. Give me a better, more important job.

JackHerer

These forge maps in the FFA playlist all feel very clusterfucky to me right now. Bad spawns (particularly on Black Site i've noticed) and too many power weapons. The maps have very little flow to them at all either.

Tashi

What are the v3 settings?

The base stuff is still the same (BR starts, frags, explosives mod and so on) What's different is the map and gametype set. King was added to Haven, Oddball is on Skyline I believe. I'm not sure of all the rest. There are 5 Majestic map and gametype combos btw.

I'd do a smaller game/trilogy about one squad of SPARTANS in a self-contained story during the Covenant war. Focus on the story, make likeable characters and an intriguing plot. In-helmet view, no armor abilities, no bloom, but during the campaign you do get to give orders to your squadmates. Because that's awesome.

I'd also not shit over the canon, which is apparently a hard thing to do.

Tashi can be Community PR Apologist/Tryhard.

"I know Kyle said Grifball Hub is a bunch of bad kids that cant aim and posted a picture of Rocco giving photoshopped Nokyard a swirly but he was joking you have to understand thats just a humorous part of his personality, he respects you and your community and we will continue to rotate your playlist monthly."

<3 Tash343i

Tashi

Tashi can be Community PR Apologist/Tryhard.

"I know Kyle said Grifball Hub is a bunch of bad kids that cant aim and posted a picture of Rocco giving photoshopped Nokyard a swirly but he was joking you have to understand thats just a humorous part of his personality, he respects you and your community and we will continue to rotate your playlist monthly."

LOL

J10

Banned
Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done? Last time you asked me, if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed. There is no choice. We must activate the rings.

-343 Guilty Spark, Halo: Combat Evolved

Tell me, Chakas, if this was your choice, after all we have seen and survived... would you fire the rings?

-IsoDidact/Bornstellar, Halo Silentium

So Bornstellar is supposed to be the Master Chief or something. Huh.

Madness

I think the reason Bungie and 343 haven't given those options when they could easily do so, is because the games would play very different then.

What I mean is, MLG variants were different from vanilla gameplay, but you could easily pick up and play and if you wanted, could go back to vanilla without much difference.

If you are given movement sliders, strafe sliders, auto aim and magnetism, you know MLG and pro players are going to devise a set standard, but the entire core play of the game has changed. If you'll play and get good at these settings, you'll probably never want to go back to vanilla at all, not that it won't be justified. But is the game still Halo 4, the way 343 presented it?

Sorry if that sounds dumb, I'm not sure if I got the point across?

Caja 117

The base stuff is still the same (BR starts, frags, explosives mod and so on) What's different is the map and gametype set. King was added to Haven, Oddball is on Skyline I believe. I'm not sure of all the rest. There are 5 Majestic map and gametype combos btw.

Thats good, Really hope to get matched more frequently in the new maps!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
God, Halo fiction has jumped a fucking football field of sharks now.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Some games I thought of:

Game 1 - Halo: Mythos

Campaign-only game with 21 missions telling different stories in the Halo universe
Missions 1-3: Exploring the history of the Precursors, Forerunners and humans.
Missions 4-6: The story of a guy who joins the Insurrection.
Missions 7-9: Takes place on Harvest during first contact with the Covenant.
Missions 10-12: The war from the perspective of a Sangheili general.
Missions 13-15: Explores post-war Sangheilios.
Missions 16-18: Adaptations of Homecoming, Mona Lisa, and Pariah.
Missions 19-21: A story about a group of ODSTs who are recruited into the SPARTAN-IV program.

Game 2 - Halo: Multiplayer Evolved

A multiplayer-only game that lets players create highly customized gametypes using Megalo and custom maps that incorporate custom vehicles, weapons, and more. Any user-made weapon, vehicle, Equipment, or AA can be inserted into any custom map, allowing an near infinite number of possible games. There will also be a global Spartan and Elite armour customization system, and several other species (Knights, Brutes, ODSTs, Marines, etc) you can play as, but with only limited customization. There will also be a system where players can monetize their gametypes, maps, weapons, vehicles, etc, and players who donate a certain amount will get an image of the map on a page in their Service Record or something like that. Anything from a giant space map reminiscent of Sandtrap but with warships instead of Elephants to a Mario Kart-style racing game would be possible. Also, the ability to have up to 64 players at once would be cool.

I don't have any more game ideas other than this.

Wait, I just thought of another game idea.

10/10 GOTY

And yet they give a 9.4 to Bioshock Infinite, a game people across the board are praising as one of the best games ever made, and as good as, if not better than the first.

What food most closely resonates with Bioshock players?

Also why are people complaining about Halo sci-fi books being too outrageous. You're reading HALO SCI FI VIDEO GAME BOOKS.

V Heyooo someone knows what they are doing! Starting to like this dude.

Better than the original Bioshock?

Yes. My game of this generation.

Just be prepared. You will be smiling at the ending.

I'm not going even hint at it.

How does it perform on the 360? Tearing? Framerate?

Didn't notice tearing very much, the framerate stutters occasionally, the last level is the worst only because of the sheer amount of enemies and what's happening on screen. Otherwise stays 30 for a substantial part of the game.

Arnie

Just finished Infinite...

OH MY FUCKING GOD

Tears of joy.
Christ, can't wait to get home and pick it up on Friday.

By the way, and I mean this with no disrespect to 343, I don't think they're ready as a development studio to embark on a project like ODST. I want 343 to nail down Halo 5, and throw the kitchen sink in that direction, rather than be pulled apart to work on ancillary stuff.

I loved ODST, but it's very 'Bungie'. I don't think, for example, 343 would've had the nous to remove all weapons bar the pistol, one of ODST's defining achievements, and the reason Firefight peaked there and then.

Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done? Last time you asked me, if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed. There is no choice. We must activate the rings.

Tell me, Chakas, if this was your choice, after all we have seen and survived... would you fire the rings?

-IsoDidact/Bornstellar,
Halo Silentium

Yeah, please spoiler tag that. Enough people here haven't read Silentium yet, but are planning to.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

-IsoDidact/Bornstellar, Halo Silentium

gSNGpq6.gif

In other news I take back everything bad I said about Jennifer Lawrence.

Madness

Christ, can't wait to get home and pick it up on Friday.

By the way, and I mean this with no disrespect to 343, I don't think they're ready as a development studio to embark on a project like ODST. I want 343 to nail down Halo 5, and throw the kitchen sink in that direction, rather than be pulled apart to work on ancillary stuff.

I loved ODST, but it's very 'Bungie'. I don't think, for example, 343 would've had the nous to remove all weapons bar the pistol, one of ODST's defining achievements, and the reason Firefight peaked there and then.

Yup. I want them to nail core Halo down first. To see what works and what doesn't before embarking on secondary type projects.

We saw with the second half of spartan ops how much Ellis and his team improved. So you know that the rest of the team got feedback on what they can improve as well.

Halo 5, should be the most featured Halo game to date. With the extra horsepower and space, there is no excuse to cut anything. After Halo 5 they can dedicate teams to work on ODST 2 type games or other games that focus on the lore of the universe.

Reading that digital foundry article on Halo 4, I'll bet Halo 5 will be the pinnacle of nextbox games at launch. Being a first party studio, 343 can bring in MS designers and engineers to help out.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I set my expectations for Bioshock Infinite to very very low. I'm glad to hear it's good! Gonna have to pick it up once the price drops a bit.

TCKaos

You, me, TCKaos, ExWife (and kittens dix) will clean house.

CWHIMSAWN. CWHIMSAWN POOSH NUH BUTTON.

Alright, guys, hypothetical time. HaloGAF is given unlimited money and girlfriends to pay for 5 official Halo titles.

Who's split up into what groups, and how would the games turn out?

-There can be overlapping production teams
-They do not have to taste like Halo (FPS arena shooter isn't the only option)
-Unlimited time and resources allowed.

HALO
halo_opchasity.jpg

The year is 2560, three years after the Requiem event. Humanity has continued to push the boundaries of all known space with the mass production of Infinity class vessels, making them the most imposing force in the galaxy. The Master Chief has been deployed with the remnants of SPARTAN-II Red and Blue teams to assist in the capture of a live Forerunner shield world currently under siege by the Storm faction.
The Arbiter rallies any and all willing forces on Sanghellios to aid humanity in the siege of the planet. During the tumble they discover the location of the Greater Ark and move the combat there.

The campaign plays like a mix of Halo and Republic Commando. The multiplayer contains both the standard Halo experience in the Infinity menu (which will continue to act as the competitive multiplayer hub) and replacing firefight and SpOps will be Siege.

--SIEGE--

• Siege is a class based multiplayer mode that takes place upon the Shield World, the Greater Ark and the Greater Halo Array. Each location has several maps created specifically for this gametype. When you enter the Siege menu you'll be prompted with a request to join either the UNSC or the Storm, which will determine the faction you'll represent for that campaign (which I'm thinking should last for about a month). After joining your faction you will be met with a map of the conflict spanning all of the locations mentioned above. The UNSC will have their base firmly planted on the Shield World while the Storm has taken control of the Greater Ark. The Greater Halo Array and several other smaller planets will be the pathway between the two planets. The UNSC and Storm can then pick a location and fight for control of that area, pushing up to the home base of the other over the course of the month. If one faction manages to take the home base of the other then the campaign ends early. If the home base is never taken, then by the end of the month the team that has pushed the furthest has won.

• In Siege gameplay each faction during each battle will be tasked with several phases, each with different objectives depending on the map the battle is taking place on, which could entail capturing enemy territory, seizing enemy ammo caches, destroying generators, capturing power cores and navigation data, and the like. Each map has a total of five objectives/phases, with a new round for each phase or objective. The attacking team must push the defenders back in to their base before going in for the kill and the defenders must repel borders. If the attackers run out of respawn tickets or time before the objective is taken or destroyed, they are pushed back.

• In Siege the UNSC are class based in so far as their loadouts dictate how they should go about playing, with classes for marksmen, medics, demolition experts, pilots and the like depending on the specifics of the map and gametype. These loadouts are unlocked by phase and/or ticket count.

• The Storm is class based in the traditional sense - initial classes include Elite Warrior (Plasma Repeater/Plasma Rifle loadout) and Elite Marksman (Carbine/Plasma Rifle loadout). Each Storm player gets points for each kill, assist, objective assist and objective completion. These points can be spent on unlocking further classes (Brute Jetjumper, Jackal Sniper, Stealth Elite) or by spawning as powerful boss characters (Elite General, Brute Chieftain, Hunter). These points carry over between phases so that players can coordinate powerful attacks in the final phases.

• Players in parties will be designated by their coordinating armor. Storm faction parties are represented by Elite Zealot kill squads like those seen in Reach and UNSC faction parties will be represented with armor detailing.

• Players will be able to unlock new armor for their SPARTAN/Elite as they progress both in time invested and skill. As their rank progresses they'll unlock new armor patterns such as Officer, General and Councilor armor for the Storm faction and MJOLNIR Mark IV, V, VI and SPI armor for the UNSC. Depending on the skill based quintile you place in you will unlock different kinds of flair for your player. Storm faction players will unlock the distinctive Minor, Officer, General and Ultra colors while UNSC faction players will unlock the distinctive Recruit, ONI (Black), ODST and MJOLNIR (Gold) visor colors. The top quintile receives Arbiter armor and Mark VII armor for the Storm and UNSC respectively.

Top of page 312 for Noble 6.

Top Bottom