• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

I wonder if Forge Island has hit cert yet.

I'm also wondering if Forge Island will have (a) default layout(s)
I sincerely hope not. This was for the fans, the resulting maps should only be from them. Plus I haven't seen a decent forge map from a developer yet.

I'm just trying to be optimistic. I'd rather toy with the settings to get the concept to work first before doing away with it entirely. As it is now, the whole system seems like it's inherently designed to reward players for doing nothing and punish players for trying to. But I don't have the energy to go too deep into it right now.
Here are my thoughts on how the Personal Ordnance system should have worked:

- There are no power weapons as a choice. Rockets, Snipers, Cannons; anything with the ability of a one-hit-kill should stay as Global Ordnance on fixed timers at fixed locations.

- PO options are always the same no matter what (the only exception being the regularly rotating powerups and AA options), so the Ordnance re-roll perk gets the axe and frees up a spot on the d-pad. Choices now include:

- a base loadout resupply
- one of four powerups that includes Camo (removing it from loadouts)
- SAW
- AA swap (on the same consistent rotation that powerups are on)​

The most important part of this is that Personal Ordnance doesn't just show up wherever you are. There are fixed Personal Ordnance locations, similar to Global Ordnance. Once you get your prompt, make your choice and the game will apply the loot to your nearest location. The location (I’m envisioning something similar to an ammo crate, to help differentiate it from the global ordnance locations) will rapidly blink gold when it’s becoming active (think Reach campaign), which would allow people in sight the option to contest an enemy’s shot at an upgrade, which is rarely the case now.

I don't know if that's better, but it's certainly more fair and modest.

FyreWulff

I'm not sure TU will affect an old game. Gameplay and saved clip are two things different, even after a title update.

The announcer actually properly announces and the Death Xes (Xs?) appear when the teammates die in the second version.

edit: also they nicely fade out instead of just going *BWOOP* from existence

ZeNy

Neo Member
The announcer actually properly announces and the Death Xes (Xs?) appear when the teammates die in the second version.

edit: also they nicely fade out instead of just going *BWOOP* from existence

Oh, I thought your videos were about the Binary Rifle and his gameplay. :)

Is there not a changelist somewhere?

I remember 343 mentioning adjustments to Active Camo as well as the Gauss Hog—is that this TU? What did they change?

Someone has a LIVE trial code? I wanna try the TU out.

Are the weapon tweaks doable for us or is it just a 343 thing?

i do, but you'll probably have to make a new account to use it.

and only 343 can make tweaks

Really, I never had any problems with other 48hrs codes.

Also, I heard the Xes are dissapearing too quick (maybe becase of IR) and they actually follow yor dead teammated bodies.

check PMs I just sent it. And the X disappears as soon as you respawn.

Really, I never had any problems with other 48hrs codes.

Also, I heard the Xes are dissapearing too quick (maybe becase of IR) and they actually follow yor dead teammated bodies.

If you're willing to wait ~8 hours, I could probably get you a 48 hr code if you don't want to go that route.

I can't be asked to pay for more maps when the settings I'm playing them on are not enjoyable, and I imagine others feel the same.

Well put. It's a shame that 343 and certain affinity have made BTB completely off limits for me because of Ordnance and plasma pistol loadouts. I thought Frankie said it's gun b k?

Mobile Internet was really slow, so didn't saw it. :)

Feel free to come back to this offer, if you need it. I'm in a good mood.

If you're willing to wait ~8 hours, I could probably get you a 48 hr code if you don't want to go that route.

Damm, HaloGAF full of nice people
and Community Cartographers
confirmed haha, already tried Poker's 14 days code and I think it worked.

Do you guys know if I will be able to download Forge Island while playing on a trial code?

Edit: downloading the TU :D

First game on the forge maps and donging hard, I also see people keep forging on Erosion, SHAME ON THEM!
Shouldn't have gone with the glossy brown. Pieces should have been the off-white of the other two maps, with rust spots here and there. Also, they should have made the pipes the width of the standard walls, so they could be used as walls. Mind-boggling oversight there.

Akai__

Haha - no. I'm at work. So by that point I'll be home (where the code is), but the internet here is frickin' horrible, so it took a few minutes to post my reply. YAY!

<3

Good mood part 2. (thanks to Xbox Live)

Quote to see Halo Warrior Armor. I guess those are avatar outfits, dunno:

Male AND Female

Feels like Halo.

kevinfranklin.jpg

lol it was fun but they should bring old fiesta back.

Akai__

I'm not sold on the X markers. They disappear to quick and when a dead body moves, they move, too. Sometimes, they don't even appear or are hard to see. However, it's a good feature, which should have been implemented from the beginning.

Is the "Mastery" next to SR130's new?

Korosenai

I haven't played this game in about month but decided to play it again because of the TU, and i've gotta say.... the community forge playlist is really good. Like, really fuckin good.

I.. really? Or are you making a joke? About how they're implemented.

My poor broken heart can't take this Tashi!?!

I noticed it in the video comparison FyreWulff posted. They really do last about 1 second.

I'm on Throwdown right now...

OMG X's are totally bugged. They last for like 1 second and then fade away.

Yup. This is inline with what I've been reading at r/halo: http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/1b64m3/the_halo_4_title_update_10400_is_out_now/

Is the "Mastery" next to SR130's new?

No. That was in a previous fix.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Not kidding. Just played some Throwdown.

You're shown an X with their service tag above it. The X fades in like a second and then their service tag fades about a second or 2 after that.

BigShow36

I noticed it in the video comparison FyreWulff posted. They really do last about 1 second.

Yeah, very brief and they move with the dead bodies. Oh well, hopefully now they can focus on fine tuning the gameplay; I care about that 1,000 times more than I care about X's on dead bodies.

So the X's disappear after a period of time instead of when a play spawns?

5qriO.gif

I actually played some H4 yesterday for the first time in quite a while before an Infinite session, but naturally the first game was on Complex, so I played only the one game.

All of this for a bullshit perk that is largely useless. Please remove Specializations in the next Halo, 343. Take personal loadouts and Ordnance with it.

Tawpgun

All of this for a bullshit perk that is largely useless. Please remove Specializations in the next Halo, 343. Take personal loadouts and Ordnance with it.
X's weren't removed for any perk. The perk you're talking about works nothing like a death x.

At pax, Kevin mentioned how insanely hard it was for them to add the x's in. Probably the reason they weren't in the game initially and why they're so bugged now.

They shouldn't remove Specializations, just the gameplay-changing items. The only unlockables should be purely cosmetic. Give people 25 Specializations, with 5 in 5 different tiers - Easy, Normal, Heroic, Legendary, and Mythic. You can list in any specialization any time but you can only do one at a time - they take 1, 5, 10, 15, and 25 levels to unlock, respectively. Each Specialization unlocks you a new armor set and new emblems; the 8 from Halo 4 are divvied up into the listings. They use a letter format, meaning they're displayed as "SPEC-H [Rogue]" in the specialization tab. There's also an elusive SPEC-Z that functions as Recon did in halo 3.

TCKaos

X's weren't removed for any perk. The perk you're talking about works nothing like a death x.

At pax, Kevin mentioned how insanely hard it was for them to add the x's in. Probably the reason they weren't in the game initially and why they're so bugged now.

I can't help but wonder what exactly this entails, as the game was built on top of Reach... You'd think they'd have the proper code hanging around in a dev build somewhere before they dummied it out in the later versions.

They shouldn't remove Specializations, just the gameplay-changing items. The only unlockables should be purely cosmetic. Give people 25 Specializations, with 5 in 5 different tiers - Easy, Normal, Heroic, Legendary, and Mythic. You can list in any specialization any time but you can only do one at a time - they take 1, 5, 10, 15, and 25 levels to unlock, respectively. Each Specialization unlocks you a new armor set and new emblems; the 8 from Halo 4 are divvied up into the listings. They use a letter format, meaning they're displayed as "SPEC-H [Rogue]" in the specialization tab. There's also an elusive SPEC-Z that functions as Recon did in halo 3.

The Legacy Specializations (SPEC-0) should be available upon completion of the older titles on Legendary (or unlocking all of their achievements or something) and are unlocked through Halo Waypoint. 100% Completion of Halo 3 unlocks Mark VI, ODST unlocks the ODST armor, Reach unlocks Mark V, Halo 4 unlocks Mark VI (if that's what we're calling what the Chief is wearing). 100% Halo Wars gives you a refund and a Spirit of Fire emblem.

Wow 343 can't even get the Xs right, disgraceful.

I wonder if this is an error and something bugged in the update, or this is how the Xa are supose to be, they saw them work like this during development/testing and said "this is good enough, send it."

Either way, just awful on their part, do we have to wait another 6 months to get some real Xs in Halo 4?

Top Bottom