• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

I was willing to give it a chance but after only a month with Halo 4 I was already bored and just "done" with the game.

Other games do that stuff better and they threw away what made Halo different from those games by including such things. The days I was playing WoW and Halo I never expected Halo to become WoW.

Booshka

I was willing to give it a chance but after only a month with Halo 4 I was already bored and just "done" with the game.

I got bored after a week, it was weird, I literally didn't care about kills and deaths, scoring flags or winning the game. I just had no motivation in game to win, it didn't capture my competitive drive whatsoever, strange that a Halo game could have that effect.

I'll be getting Terraria as well, so send me a message and I can probably make room on my friends list.

wwm0nkey

Other games do that stuff better and they threw away what made Halo different from those games by including such things. The days I was playing WoW and Halo I never expected Halo to become WoW.

Pretty much, I just didn't see the point of playing it when I could play 3 other games that did it better. Halo has lost its identity.

Nebula

I'm feeling so strange right now. Up for like 30 hours and I have music blasting. If only Halo was playable when I was out of it. I could play Halo 3 just fine.

Terraria is awesome on PC by the way. Spent 19 hours on it the day I bought it. I would get console one but I don't have the points.

Edit: I'm blasting this song.

IHaveIce

Banned
Quinn watches a fair amount of community stuff, could see Bravo watching it too.

Yeah both would also my onlly guess who would watch it, but these two aren't probably "important" enough at 343 to take the franchise back in the right direction.

I mean we all read Frankie's opinion on visible ranking systems here and he is a pretty important person at 343 .. so I don't know if we can take Halo back

except juices is hired of course

wwm0nkey

I'd like receipts when it comes to the "community" that asked for the inclusion of perks, ordinances, classes and progression.

Yeah, I want exact quotes and videos of people actually saying this stuff. I HATE when devs say stuff with absolutely NOTHING to back it up and evidence showing that it was the other way around (community player base dropping like a rock)

orznge

Banned
focus groups, A/B testing, and whatever sells more than Halo or has more mindshare than it is what suits have to interpret as "communication" from consumers

metzger203

vtcnOHt.jpg

343 studied what the COD community liked and wanted and figured that it must apply to Halo as well.

It would be great if we could go back to a time where there were prominent shooter titles that were all good despite having very different mechanics. Being able to switch between Halo 3, COD 4, and Gears was great.

Yeah, I want exact quotes and videos of people actually saying this stuff. I HATE when devs say stuff with absolutely NOTHING to back it up and evidence showing that it was the other way around (community player base dropping like a rock)

What's the current population right now on a Sat?

focus groups, A/B testing, and whatever sells more than Halo or has more mindshare than it is what suits have to interpret as "communication" from consumers

All of the survey questions were just "what do you like about CoD?"

343 studied what the COD community liked and wanted and figured that it must apply to Halo as well.

It would be great if we could go back to a time where there were prominent shooter titles that were all good despite having very different mechanics. Being able to switch between Halo 3, COD 4, and Gears was great.

I'd play Halo 2 if it wasn't dead at this point. If UT/Quake weren't low pop and full of lifers I'd probably play those too.

I know Frankie left because this place is pretty negative but shit like this SHOWS that something is wrong, they just released a free (awesome) map but it didn't do anything to even budge the player base up
Because it is a forge map which isn't implemented in the matchmaking experience yet.

If Halo 4 was a roaring, carniverous success with regards to player retention and population then I'd put my hands up and say 'yep, they were right all along, their complete restructuring of Halo's DNA was the correct course to take, even if I may not like it'.

As it stands, Halo 4 has the fastest drop off in player population of any PvP game in the series. They might as well have catered, in a really focused manner, to their long term fans. Don't get me wrong, unlike many here who hate the game and have stopped playing completely, I've come to really like the throwdown and doubles playlist (forge playlists have been good too) and can now play the game for hours with friends. However I'm tired of being marginalised as a Halo fan, having to wait around for months to get reasonable (not hardcore, reasonable) settings whilst the quick match playlists, which were thoroughly playable and distinctly Halo in the original trilogy are catered to the lowest common denominator, all power weapons and abilities all the fucking time fuck yeah! I think legacy Halo fans are tired of being put last in many instances.

TheOddOne

It will keep going down. 343 is like no1curr, we got yo money.

I wish I wasn't this way, but c'mon you have to see the signs on the wall.

Still though I would expect some of those 400k people who originally played to come back for a free map even if its just for forge and not in MM

Why? The map is empty and doesn't change the game. It'll be awesome when MM features them but until then, I hardly expect people to return for that alone.

TheOddOne

They have my money now, but they definitely won't be getting it with other installments.

It sucks, but I've moved on, like a ton of other people.
Meh, I think most people here will buy the next game day one -- it will happen, no matter what people say now. Play the campaign and then sell it.

Overdoziz

Banned
If Halo 4 was a roaring, carniverous success with regards to player retention and population then I'd put my hands up and say 'yep, they were right all along, their complete restructuring of Halo's DNA was the correct course to take, even if I may not like it'.
No, you wouldn't.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Halo 5 needs to be amazing to beat COD and BF. What 343 needs to do is listen to the community and shape a game around that. I think the most important thing they need to do is implement in-depth gametype editing (or even release Megalo) and an amazing Forge (or add in an actual map maker). After doing that, they need to get competitive players like Bravo to help them make the best default competitive gametypes and maps possible, along with a large sandbox full of unique and varied weapons, and AAs and Equipment for more casual gametypes and mini-games. You don't need to implement features from other games to attract new players, especially if they fit well with your game. Make it unique, and people will come.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Meh, I think most people here will buy the next game day one -- it will happen, no matter what people say now. Play the campaign and then sell it.
I won't. I don't see myself ever buying a 343 Halo on day one again.

I won't. I'm not big on campaign like a bunch of people here. Halo was my go to multiplayer game. I just didn't play anything else because I could pick up Halo when I wouldn't play for weeks and still manage to do well. Halo was a simple game, not easy but simple. This talk of steep curves is fucking stupid. They made it a more complicated game of paper, rock, scissors. If I wanted that I'd play anything else.

Sigh.

Top Bottom