• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

DeadNames

Banned
is there any good summary of what was said?

Here's the MP section is a nutshell:

"Halo was hard so we made it babby mode".

The rest has to do with narrative, making promethean weapons, etc.

Shame that 343 went with counterparts to existing weapons when it comes to Prom guns. A grapple gun would be so much fun.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Here's the MP section is a nutshell:

"Halo was hard so we made it babby mode".

The rest has to do with narrative, making promethean weapons, etc.

Shame that 343 went with counterparts to existing weapons. A grapple gun would be so much fun.

i would like to hear the mp stuff - but the narrative and other design stuff is Zzzzz. will jump around on the stream.

Havok

josh just seems to drone on and on (no offense). having a hard time trying to listen to this.
Apart from the few slides that people freaked out over, there wasn't a whole lot of takeaway from the thing, which was surprising from a postmortem. It was more about 343's philosophies and things they wanted to hit going into the game. It was kind of buzzword-y in the same way the vidocs are. Nothing against Josh as a speaker or presenter, but the talk didn't tell me a whole lot that prerelease material and the rhetoric in the bulletins hadn't already.

Tawpgun

josh just seems to drone on and on (no offense). having a hard time trying to listen to this.
People here were ragging on the presentation because they used a handicapped chief symbol as a representation of makin the game more accessible and making it easier for new players.

They also said fans thought armor unlocks were boring and wanted gameplay changing progression system to which everyone is confused as to where they got this fan feedback from.

I have yet to watch the entire talk.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Apart from the few slides that people freaked out over, there wasn't a whole lot of takeaway from the thing, which was surprising from a postmortem. It was more about 343's philosophies and things they wanted to hit going into the game. It was kind of buzzword-y in the same way the vidocs are. Nothing against Josh as a speaker or presenter, but the material didn't tell me a whole lot that prerelease material and the rhetoric in the bulletins hadn't already.

thats the gist i got after listening to the first 5 min or so. seemed very predictable and things we've heard a million times before. very safe and by the books talk, not much postmortem. "heres how we built the team. these were our challenges. halo has lots of supplemental story we wanted to include in the game."

People here were ragging on the presentation because they used a handicapped chief symbol as a representation of makin the game more accessible and making it easier for new players.

They also said fans thought armor unlocks were boring and wanted gameplay changing progression system to which everyone is confused as to where they got this fan feedback from.

I have yet to watch the entire talk.

It wasnt hard to figure out. It was boring and uninteresting as hell. You kidding me or what.

Omni

If someone read that to me, I would have guessed it was from GAF.

Seems like a normal GAF post to me.

Of course. We have our moments too.

Generally comments made on Waypoint are a lot more extreme, however. I just love reading through them. People have valid concerns, but the way they express themselves is hilarious

What a complete mess though. I can see how disheartening it would be to read those kinds of remarks from your 'fans'

DeadNames

Banned
From waypoint:

That picture of MC in the wheelchair sums up "Halo" 4 perfectly. It's Halo's distant, handicapped cousin.

Lol

343 Needs to just take this game offline and ban it from the marketplace

haha

So fades the great harvest of our betrayal. Even your fans have recognized what you were oblivious to, 343i. Your nobility has blinded you, as ever. You left little to chance, didn't you? Turning our favorite franchise...our own world... against us. But what hubris to believe you could protect your changes from us forever. If you haven't mastered even these basic concepts of Halo, then 343i has not attained the Mantle. Your ascendance may yet be prevented. Time was your ally, 343i, but now it has abandoned you. The ire of the fanbase... has returned. This disappointment...is now yours."

whoa

Honestly, i think they do have a point in the armor unlocks not being very interesting. Personally, Ive always thought it was completely pointless. In Reach i could not care less about ranking up cause at one point, you just like how your character looks and it doesn't really matter anymore. Plus, it takes an eternity to rank up at one point.

They have to find a way to make ranking up interesting. Make me wanna hit that max level and possibly even start over. Right now, i don't really care if i hit that max level once, let alone start it over.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Honestly, i think they do have a point in the armor unlocks not being very interesting. Personally, Ive always thought it was completely pointless. In Reach i could not care less about ranking up cause at one point, you just like how your character looks and it doesn't really matter anymore. Plus, it takes an eternity to rank up at one point.

They have to find a way to make ranking up interesting. Make me wanna hit that max level and possibly even start over. Right now, i don't really care if i hit that max level once, let alone start it over.

What if the level didn't affect gameplay or appearance, and rather, was some kind of visual indication of your skill level as a player? It could motivate you to improve, and keep you coming back to the game to increase that level.

I wonder what that would have been like.

Yeah. Gosh. Why doesn't anyone from 343 post here anymore? We are like, so far above all that Waypoint level of nonsensical posting. Why don't they use GAF? Why why why?

DeadNames

Banned
What if the level didn't affect gameplay or appearance, and rather, was some kind of visual indication of your skill level as a player? It could motivate you to improve, and keep you coming back to the game to increase that level.

Dude that would suck. People would cheat.

WAIT

Let's put in an unlock system that relies on playing time and number of/certain kinds of kills! People certainly won't boost for that! That won't happen. They sure won't go into Regicide with a party and farm kills!

Who would do that?

Thats different. Not everyone can hit the max skill level where as a rank based on unlockables, everyone will get there eventually, its only a matter of time.

If you want casuals to stay interested, you have to give them something reachable. Skill levels arent.

Tawpgun

Yeah. Gosh. Why doesn't anyone from 343 post here anymore? We are like, so far above all that Waypoint level of nonsensical posting. Why don't they use GAF? Why why why?
This place is more negative than it used to be but the negativity isn't unfounded. Long time hardcore halo fans didn't abandon halo 4 for no reason.

Omni

WOfM49x.gif

DeadNames

Banned
I just hope Halo 5 goes back to what made Halo, Halo.

They can keep loadouts as long as it's just a primary.

Have ordnance be AAs, plasmas, or a DMR/PP. Keep ordnance static. Display where the weapons are on the HUD so new players know where to go. Keep Halo 4's movement/jump height/melee.

Sprint can stay, whatever. No flinch or perks. Skill ranks in conjunction with a progression rank. Progression rank would be armor, emblems, and weapon skins.

IHaveIce

Banned
I hope this isn't based on my Josh question, it wasn't serious.

Of course everybody knows why they are not here, I also wouldn't want to go to a place where my product gets so much shit, deserved or not

Omni

I honestly can't wait until Halo 5, if only because of the reactions people are gonna give. Didn't 343i say that they felt 'restricted' by the fact that they had to make a Halo game? I expect Halo 5 to be much more [different?] than Halo 4 is.

well, and I'm a tad excited to see if they can salvage anything from the story

Omni

It bothers me that my ODSTs on Delta Halo in Halo 2 just got in my Warthog while I was waiting for the tank and got themselves blown up by the Wraith. :(

This post was totally not a filler post because the thread slows down considerably at reply 48 and 98 on every page

Omni

I still remember classic gametypes such as Oddball on Swordbase and Team Slayer on The Cage.

Doesn't get much better than that

Top Bottom