• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

There was one dude in that thread who asked for Halo 5 to have a 32 player max.

There are a few people here who think the same, no? As long as the core game stays at 4v4 (or is it 5v5 now?), then it shouldn't matter if BTB is 32 player max. Worst case scenario is that they'd need to start splitting maps depending on game mode (think Battlefield)

There are a few people here who think the same, no? As long as the core game stays at 4v4 (or is it 5v5 now?), then it shouldn't matter if BTB is 32 player max. Worst case scenario is that they'd need to start splitting maps depending on game mode (think Battlefield)

Yep I think we will see a social playlist or mode with drop in/out and big team numbers with squads type stuff. Also classic ranked as a playlist or mode unto itself.

TheOddOne

There was one dude in that thread who asked for Halo 5 to have a 32 player max.

While I do not mind that BTB probably will get a bigger player count and bigger maps, I do hope it does not again come at cost of smaller scale modes. Halo 4 did not balance that out very well, because there were too many large maps and very few small maps.

With most game companies going berserk with player counts—an effect of the next-gen craze―I fear that people will just dismiss games that have a lower player count and effectively lead to killing arena style games (and it is already on its last legs). It kind of will lead into even more homogenization, with every game trying to be a-jack-of-all-trades and none of them confident in their own individual design philosophy.

8v8 has worked fine for over 10 years. the maps have been garbage, making it boring. its fine with a 16 person max.

Zeddy found a new easter egg in Halo 3, if any of you are bored enough and want to go scour the sandy hills on The Ark, near the scarab battle, for trigger of the easter egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xDzvpAMNVc Video of the easter egg after you find the Trigger. Says "343 343 2141 (or 2147?). Kind of weird. He says it can only be found/done on Legendary.

Only clues I picked up:
its at the end of Scarab battle, at the cliff.
It sort of sounds like someones in a Scorpian tank. Can't tell if its just the environment sound.
Its definitely once you blow up the scarab and finish the entire battle, as no sound of any gun is going off.

Maybe it's 343 343 2401, after zooj Penitent Tangent?

One employee said in a Weekly Mailsack awhile ago, their was on on the loading screen for Halo 3, tied to a specific date for his wife to see. No ones noticed it yet, so its not big at all, just a small one.

I guess you could change the dates on the Xbox 360 to every single day, and then hop on Halo 3 and load a campaign mission up, record it loading, and then change the date and repeat, then playback through all the video clips until you find a difference. Not sure if its worth it.

This is getting into creepyGAF territory, but why haven't we found that dude's wife's birthday and looked there?

What's really funny is I don't think they're even officially called the Storm? Like, I'm pretty sure that entire name is a fan extrapolation from prerelease action figure names or something? Unless that name was later made canon in some thing I missed.

So the faction you're fighting doesn't even really have a name, they're basically just "a bunch of aliens from the group formerly called the the Covenant."

They don't, which is the weirdest part. The wikis have just been referring to them as the "Covenant Remnant" for lack of a better term, which I think would work fine in-story. They're only called the Storm because of the Storm Rifle - it's not even an "official" ranking for an Elite, it's just the name of a Minor / Major that's holding a Storm Rifle. I'm surprised they haven't pulled a Pokemon Adventures and gone with Neo Covenant or some shit.

Oh, and off-topic unless you count it being a CE Magnum successor, but Prinz Eugn is a pretty cool guy. eh shades gons n doesnt afraid of anything.

opus_gun_revision_by_prinzeugn-d71cgv0.png

Fuchsdh

While I do not mind that BTB probably will get a bigger player count and bigger maps, I do hope it does not again come at cost of smaller scale modes. Halo 4 did not balance that out very well, because there were too many large maps and very few small maps.

With most game companies going berserk with player counts—an effect of the next-gen craze―I fear that people will just dismiss games that have a lower player count and effectively lead to killing arena style games (and it is already on its last legs). It kind of will lead into even more homogenization, with every game trying to be a-jack-of-all-trades and none of them confident in their own individual design philosophy.

I dunno about big-play-counts kills arena games, but I do think that much larger than 20 players essentially compromises the game too much because I haven't seen another title handle smaller teams as well as massive player counts well.

Bigger engagements in campaign, meanwhile? Bring it on. I'd love the next-gen equivalent of the Scarab encounter on the Covenant where you and your AI roll through progressive waves. Feeling like you're in a constant, huge engagement is something Reach missed out on, and wasn't even a goal of Halo 4's campaign. If the story demands it I'd love that back though.

TheOddOne

I dunno about big-play-counts kills arena games, but I do think that much larger than 20 players essentially compromises the game too much because I haven't seen another title handle smaller teams as well as massive player counts well.

Bigger engagements in campaign, meanwhile? Bring it on. I'd love the next-gen equivalent of the Scarab encounter on the Covenant where you and your AI roll through progressive waves. Feeling like you're in a constant, huge engagement is something Reach missed out on, and wasn't even a goal of Halo 4's campaign. If the story demands it I'd love that back though.
Depends mostly on the genre, but yeah singleplayer games being given bigger playercounts and spaces is not something I'm against.

Fuchsdh

Depends mostly on the genre, but yeah singleplayer games being given bigger playercounts and spaces is not something I'm against.

From a thematic standpoint as well, there's an issue of player empowerment in multiplayer vs. campaign. In campaign you're going to wreck shit no matter what, and if you have the patience, skills, and ammo you can sit there and obliterate everything that comes your way, even if that's not the objective (LNoS and the bridge assault on ONI come to mind.)

With multiplayer, adding more players dilutes the impact of any one player. Sure it sucks when you're playing BTB a man down, but chances are that one player missing doesn't usually change the outcome. In a 4v4 match a 3v4 game plays very differently. At some point in inflating the player counts you hit the magic point where the average person doesn't really play that big a role, and I personally find that frustrating.

gAg CruSh3r

I will allow BF level counts if they port coldsnap from Custom Edition

but nerf the sniper

So bullet dropping with the sniper? ... I'm okay with this. They have that same effect with the Tank in Halo 4 and it did not throw it off completely.

Edit:
I'm honestly glad it's only 6v6.

I'm not. I would rather have it at least minimal of 8v8. Maybe for a different playlist it can be 6v6 but other then that; no. :/.. But.. I will still buy it.

Madness

And what also annoys me, very few have even given reasons for why they think 6vs6 is bad. They just believe that higher player counts automatically equals better.

People complaining about 6v6 in TitanFall are probably in the same group of people who like jetpack and camo AA. Not every game needs to be insanely giant 32v32 multiplayer. Just like not every FPS needs to have the same mechanics as Call of Duty.

Booties

Banned
Are they seriously saying that sounds terrible and will not attract the CoD crowd? Do they even play CoD? They've also never touched the game. I'm sure it will be fine.

Are they seriously saying that sounds terrible and will not attract the CoD crowd? Do they even play CoD? They've also never touched the game. I'm sure it will be fine.

This is gaming side we're talking about, no time for logic when you can bash the xbone instead.

Caayn

The hell?

64 player Battlefield 4 is fantastic. So much fun. Though, Battlefield isn't a CoD/TitanFall style twitch shooter.
Battlefield 4 sure is fun. But let's not create a "OMG our game must be similar to BF otherwise it won't sell", like we saw last gen with CoD thing among devs.

Besides BF4 has enough downsides. Too often am I wandering around looking for a fight only to get sniped.
This is gaming side we're talking about, no time for logic when you can bash the xbone instead.
Fuck_Logic-s467x350-161149.jpg

I've been accepted to Neogaf?! :eek:

I wanted my first reply to be here ^ ^. Hello there HaloGaf!

I must say I'm kind of disappointed that people are reacting this way to all this Titanfall 6 vs 6 talk.

Omni

Haha. Saw a guy who said Microsoft was the Titanic after hitting the iceberg yesterday.

Love it

I must say I'm kind of disappointed that people are reacting this way to all this Titanfall 6 vs 6 talk.

Hello. Quick question which will determine whether or not I'll like you. Favourite game mode from Halo 4 and what do you think about Halsey?

Hello. Quick question which will determine whether or not I'll like you. Favourite game mode from Halo 4 and what do you think about Halsey?
I'm a sucker for some SWAT. I guess I can call it my favourite mode (I don't nitpick that much, I really just want to have fun)

About Halsey: well, I do understand what she did and I can see that she's sorry for what she did. I not saying that I love her... I just understand her. Must be hard condemning all those Spartans to a life of warfare.
I don't know if that answers your question.

Mistel

Banned
My opinion if big team was up sized, is that unless it has a better system for finding players it would be difficult to surpass 10v10. 8v8 is bad enough for random's any bigger and it will a nightmare.

It's fine, still similar mechanics to most modern shooters though. The shooter that changes that is what will be the next big thing.
So, Titanfall will be the next big thing then?

Player movement is different and plays a dominating role in the core game mechanics compared to any major shooter currently on the market.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I said it in that thread, but: if the maps themselves function like an arena shooter should, i.e. directing players towards hotspots and each other, then the player count is no issue. 4v4 Halo is the best MP ever created and there's plenty of action.

I'm not sure how I feel about AI inevitably serving as cannon fodder, but as I haven't played it I can't really form an opinion.

So ok, here's it goes:

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
I've been a member for only a day(?). I'm really not sure. Oh and I've been lurking NeoGaf (especially HaloGaf) for quite some time now. 1-2 years.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)
Well, I'm 21 and I'm portuguese. Portugal FTW!

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
I'm a Halo fan since the first one, around 2001-2002. I've played all the games except Spartan Assault, still waiting for it to launch on the 360.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
Campaign without a doubt.

What is your favorite playlist?
As I said, SWAT. I still love the other ones though.

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)
Well, I'm a student. Still studying Computer Engineering and loving it. I must say it's really difficult but I'll manage.

Welcome! I have some questions if you'd like to answer B] (I love reading this stuff from people)

1. Favorite campaign?
  2. Favorite multiplayer?
  3. First multiplayer you played?
    ---How much time did you put into it and to what extent? (ie: local play vs online (CE+XBC, H2+online, etc.), tourneys, casual vs competitive Custom Games, etc.)
  4. Favorite weapon sandbox?
  5. Top 5 favorite weapons?
  6. Top 5 favorite maps?
  7. Favorite playlists?
  8. Favorite characters?
  9. Top 5 things to return in Halo 5?
  10. Thoughts on Smash Bros.?

IHaveIce

Banned
So ok, here's it goes:

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
I've been a member for only a day(?). I'm really not sure. Oh and I've been lurking NeoGaf (especially HaloGaf) for quite some time now. 1-2 years.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)
Well, I'm 21 and I'm portuguese. Portugal FTW!

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
I'm a Halo fan since the first one, around 2001-2002. I've played all the games except Spartan Assault, still waiting for it to launch on the 360.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
Campaign without a doubt.

What is your favorite playlist?
As I said, SWAT. I still love the other ones though.

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)
Well, I'm a student. Still studying Computer Engineering and loving it. I must say it's really difficult but I'll manage.

Another portuguese? Wow do you know Gui? Is he an asshole IRL?

Welcome! I have some questions if you'd like to answer B] (I love reading this stuff from people)

1. Favorite campaign?
  2. Favorite multiplayer?
  3. First multiplayer you played?
    ---How much time did you put into it and to what extent? (ie: local play vs online (CE+XBC, H2+online, etc.), tourneys, casual vs competitive Custom Games, etc.)
  4. Favorite weapon sandbox?
  5. Top 5 favorite weapons?
  6. Top 5 favorite maps?
  7. Favorite playlists?
  8. Favorite characters?
  9. Top 5 things to return in Halo 5?
  10. Thoughts on Smash Bros.?

Can I answer this later? Trying to study Computer Architecture and NeoGaf doesn't let me xD

Another portuguese? Wow do you know Gui? Is he an asshole IRL?
Who's Gui? :eek:

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I checked out the Titanfall thread just now to read what the fuss was about. Wow, even on just that last page there are some absurd posts. It's a little embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom