• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hola Halogaf! I felt compelled to make my first post now after a lengthy time of lurking. Sad thing is, I've gotten more enjoyment reading Halogaf posts than I've had playing Halo 4. Hopefully Halo will get back on its feet.

I hope this will be the start of a beautiful friendship.
Yeah I just became a member today too :p

Everyone loves HaloGaf! <3 (shame about Halo 4 though - don't hate me Frank)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird to be back at the bullshit leaks and barn footage stage of the hype train. Feels like we just went through that for Halo 4, but it's been almost two years.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That's mean.
Ybho9.gif

wwm0nkey

Okay so it looks like DSfix also works for unlocking the framerate pretty well. Just played Halo 2 at 120FPS locked with Lightboost on, shit was awesome.

Sorry if anyone on XBL was annoyed by me signing in and out, needed to test things :)

This isn't a salty complaint but given recent Bungie podcasts it seems the Bungie couch/ViDoc mateship trash talking has morphed into tea bagging cut throat must cheat to win. Too me it seems Destiny has been built with a more coop style focus due to the nature of FPS/console community issues from their Halo experience.(

I think Halo has been around so long and was so competitive in multi that players take it too far. Did bridging host and pioneering XBL parties and matchmaking for console P2P help create this? Yes in part I think Halo had that element.

Does the demographics have younger matchmakers opposed to PC online? Does the bridging cheating give rise to increased hostility etc?

I'm terms of FPS I would not want to watch a euro COD tourney, some of the trash taking and attitude is just not professional or fun relating to gaming. I'm an Aussie we love the razzing of opponents but there is a fine line. Many other live tournies/games have had similar issues I think.

Even the chats in Twitch you mention get some crazy postings. It's weird because 2/3 had similar issues even in social.

More people than ozzy must have an opinion on this.

People in other games are just as dickish. For the most part, the "pro scene" in SC2 and other games is more mature and leaves a better impression on aspiring players. Also, Halo / Xbox gained much of its initial popularity in the US, where people like NFL pros act much the same, so...

But mentioning "bridging" that much in your reasoning, in 2014, is a sure sign of delusion.

Nah, at least Destiny doesn't look boring imo.

Still I'm joking, I like Borderlands but... ugh, it's kind of boring (I haven't finished it yet)

BigShow36

People in other games are just as dickish. For the most part, the "pro scene" in SC2 and other games is more mature and leaves a better impression on aspiring players. Also, Halo / Xbox gained much of its initial popularity in the US, where people like NFL pros act much the same, so...

The primary difference is how the developer engages the fanbase and redirects the general direction of the games.

StarCraft and it's developers point upward, gently directing players to higher levels saying, "Personal improvement is an important part of the game, we're going to help you progress in your skill with some tutorials and ensure you're always challenged."

Halo and it's developers point downward, focusing on ensuring the game accommodates lower skill players, saying, "It's not fun for players to be better than you, so we're going to ensure the game changes to limit all players to a lower level so everyone can have "fun.""

The primary difference is how the developer engages the fanbase and redirects the general direction of the games.

StarCraft and it's developers point upward, gently directing players to higher levels saying, "Personal improvement is an important part of the game, we're going to help you progress in your skill with some tutorials and ensure you're always challenged."

Halo and it's developers point downward, focusing on ensuring the game accommodates lower skill players, saying, "It's not fun for players to be better than you, so we're going to ensure the game changes to limit all players to a lower level so everyone can have "fun.""

I agree, but I don't necessary subscribe to the idea that that is what makes many Halo players dicks. Disgruntled, sure. Maybe if we take into account the lack of decent skill matching, forcing "bad" players on the same team as "good" players. So much frustration that would be better avoided in the future.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

pC gamers are moar mature

TheXbox

On average PC players are more mature and Bigshow has a point about Halo catering to the Lower level players.
No, man. I won't argue that Halo 4 panders to the lowest common denominator (it does), but do take a trip to the battle.net forums sometime and tell us how mature PC gamers are. Even just a regular match of DotA or LoL is full of scum obnoxious enough to rival anything you see on Xbox Live. Every game with a huge community is full of terrible, immature people.

But mentioning "bridging" that much in your reasoning, in 2014, is a sure sign of delusion.

Twice is that much? You focused on a one label word when I used it to condense the post but imply all the others at the same time. Here's the rest that helped contribute to the "bad" parts of the fanbase:

1. Standby
2. Bridging
3. Host booting
4. Throttling
5. DDOS
6. MM modding e.g. autoaim and/or 1SK
7. Quitting
8. Deranking
9. Boosting
10. Selling accounts
11. Hacking/stealing accounts
12. Backing out based on match ups
13. Language boosting

It's not delusion at all mate, these are the trials and tribulations of pioneering XBL P2P & Halo MM. It's inherent in the game versions and systems, further to me it is as clear as crystal such systems moderately to heavily contributed to the mindset of many "bad elements" of the Halo community.

Dedis clear up an awful lot of these issues and "force" players to compete on an even playing field more than Halo has historically. I think we'll find vastly improved ranking systems, anti-cheating systems and a dramatically improved community. You'll never rid online of asshats and cheaters but you can reduce it through design.

Escalation dropped (6 pages to view for free)

escaltaionno2_head.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
Is it that wrong that I'm a Halo fan and I don't read the books?!

You ain't missing much. Perhaps understanding of Halo 4 plot if you don't read the Forerunner trilogy, which isn't that good overall anyway (the trilogy that is, no comment on Halo 4 plot).
The Fall of Reach gives a nice background for the Spartan Program but that's about it, as a book it is rather weak lacking a proper plot and interesting characters.

EDIT actually... i'll still recommend some: Contact Harvest for Covie politics. Ghosts of Onyx for S-III program (and for that, you might want to read First Strike too), though i'm not fan of Nylund's writing.
EDIT and for Covie politics, perhaps The Cole Protocol too. And Halo: Evolutions has a couple of good stories though most are weak.

You ain't missing much. Perhaps understanding of Halo 4 plot if you don't read the Forerunner trilogy, which isn't that good overall anyway (the trilogy that is, no comment on Halo 4 plot).
The Fall of Reach gives a nice background for the Spartan Program but that's about it, as a book it is rather weak lacking a proper plot and interesting characters.
I admit I had to go to Halowiki after beating Halo 4 for some minor things.

I thought on starting reading them but seems like I'm ok without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom