• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

gAg CruSh3r

I wish they would just release some kind of roku 360 system since One isn't backwards compatible.

No disk drive only downloadable content and it has a 500GB hard drive in it. Price point 99$. I would buy one haha if they can drop the digital copy prices online.

Mistel

Banned
Stromtrooper, I'm sorry to bring this news to you (and fellow Jurassic Park fans).. but damn ;'[
vader.jpg

But on the other hand Bryce Dallas Howard, is hot so it's not all bad.
shame there's no Laura Dern or Julianne Moore.

Chettlar

Banned
Going through Combat Evolved PC on heroic for the first time now.

One thing I've noticed, having just now finished Silent Cartographer, is the immense number of Hunters.

It's really made me realize how much I miss them. In CE, you meet hunters all the time, but in the other ones, they're few and far between as if they're some sort of boss or whatever.

Unfortunate, since they are my favorite enemies by far. Maybe this seems silly, but if I could only have a say about one thing in Halo 5, it would be that there would be as many Hunter encounters as in CE at least. I literally love fighting them that much.

One of my favorite encounters, which I can't wait for, since it's coming up really soon, is one deep down inside the Halo in (I believe near the beginning of) Assault on the Control Room, with a bunch of Jackals, like, everywhere.

Reach_Hunter.jpg

daedalius

Going through Combat Evolved PC on heroic for the first time now.

One thing I've noticed, having just now finished Silent Cartographer, is the immense number of Hunters.

It's really made me realize how much I miss them. In CE, you meet hunters all the time, but in the other ones, they're few and far between as if they're some sort of boss or whatever.

Unfortunate, since they are my favorite enemies by far. Maybe this seems silly, but if I could only have a say about one thing in Halo 5, it would be that there would be as many Hunter encounters as in CE at least. I literally love fighting them that much.

One of my favorite encounters, which I can't wait for, since it's coming up really soon, is one deep down inside the Halo in (I believe near the beginning of) Assault on the Control Room, with a bunch of Jackals, like, everywhere.

They're bosses as long as you decide not to use the pistol against them, which you will, because its CE.

Then they die in 1 hit.

HTupolev

They're bosses as long as you decide not to use the pistol against them, which you will, because its CE.

Then they die in 1 hit.
Halo 1's hunters may be killable in one hit with the pistol, but they're not really all that amazing even if you don't. They can be dangerous when paired with other enemy classes, but most of the time they can be (or are to begin with) isolated. And when you can isolate a pair of hunters, even punching them to death is pretty easy.

Chettlar

Banned

Then they die in 1 hit.

Lol, not in Heroic they don't.

And even if they did, I would use other weapons anyway. I love the panicky "Think quick!" OH NO HERE COMES THE OTHER ONE kind of situation fighting them engenders.

So like, I actually rather wish there could be a promethean version of them (or maybe have it be an actual creature somebody artificially evolved).

Give it some sort of Hard Light hammer that can be swung faster than a gravity hammer but is weaker (obviously, since balance and things). And make it bigger, since there's only one at a time, and call it...I don't know "Ogre" or something.

Idk, I just want more of that type of enemy in Halo. I love Halo's sandbox and the whole "do things the way you want" and "play with the AI" kind of thing it encourages. Hunters are so fun because you have to play with them to get anywhere and mostly to have fun. It's more than just about shooting them as much as you can, like any noob can with other covenant enemies. You actually have to think to take down hunters, and I like that. Sure, it's not super difficult thinking, but it's thinking and more about space control than just bullets. Originally, I would die every time I met a Hunter, and that's because I was playing it completely wrong. Once I realized what Halo was, somewhat with the assistance of Hunters, it was actually doable now and suddenly the whole game was loads more fun.

Halo 1's hunters may be killable in one hit with the pistol, but they're not really all that amazing even if you don't. They can be dangerous when paired with other enemy classes, but most of the time they can be (or are to begin with) isolated. And when you can isolate a pair of hunters, even punching them to death is pretty easy.

I still really enjoy fighting them. I liked how Reach and 3 did them. Reach was interesting because you could distract them with grenades. It was a bit too easy to do so, though. I like the idea of distraction, but maybe to make it work so you don't have "push the figurative button of throwing a grenade and out comes the proverbial product of distraction every. time."

The basics of blowing up stuff.

Know your gennie.

Each generator will start at 100%, inflicting damage of all kinds (pummels and nades included) will decrease this number, once it hits zero the generator will blow up. Everybody too next to it will be killed.

You can shield your gennies by pressing the action button (that's RB if you're playing Recon
like everybody should
).

In the variant you'll be playing today you'll have to hold the action button during three seconds.

This is how a shielded gennie looks like:

As you can see each gennie will display the team color they belong to.

A shielded gennie won't receive any damage, it's virtually indestructible.

The shielding will last for 30 seconds, after that the gennie will start the cooling procces. If the gennie is cooling you won't be able to shield it so it'll be vulnerable to enemy fire.

The cooling procces will last for ten seconds, after that you will be able to shield it again.

What's going on on my HUD

During a Sabotage match Alpha and Bravo will have their "health" displayed at all times, you will also see thei current status:

A 98% [SHLD]: This means Alpha has 98% of its health left and is currently shielded-

B 5% [COOL]: This means Bravo is at 5% and is currently cooling so you better defend that shit withyour life.

Your HUD will also display navpoints over each generator, friendly gennies will say PROTECT while enemy gennies say DISARM

Each navpoint will also display both timers (shielding time and cooling time left) when needed.

COOL SHIT BRO +10

Some actions will award you certain medals and increase your aftermatch stats.

Executing a player next to a gennie will award you a "Breach" medal, it'll also add one to your "Infiltrations" aftermatch statistics.

Shielding a gennie will give you a "Site defense" medal, it'll also add one to your "Generator defenses" aftermatch statistics. Same if you kill someone atacking your gennie.

Killing a player while next to an enemy gennie will award you a "Site offense" medal and some extra points.

Am I allowed to tell my mom I'll be playing your gametypes?
Of course not idiot.

yes

Lol, not in Heroic they don't.

And even if they did, I would use other weapons anyway. I love the panicky "Think quick!" OH NO HERE COMES THE OTHER ONE kind of situation fighting them engenders.

So like, I actually rather wish there could be a promethean version of them (or maybe have it be an actual creature somebody artificially evolved).

Give it some sort of Hard Light hammer that can be swung faster than a gravity hammer but is weaker (obviously, since balance and things). And make it bigger, since there's only one at a time, and call it...I don't know "Ogre" or something.

What, you mean like a Hacker?

ibwZIyXC8vE4br.png

No lifes limit ;)

Also the gametype you'll be playing will be named Infinity Slayer but don't get confused, it'll be actually a Sabotage gametype.

Oh no, I'm not falling for that one again.

Chettlar

Banned
What, you mean like a Hacker?

Never heard of it. Did you just make it up or is this something I should have known about?

But meh, not really what I'm thinking of. I'm thinking of something more hulking, since the point is for another enemy like Hunters. Also, that looks way too much like a knight, which I don't like the look of, nor does it look like it would move like a Hunter at all, being so thin. It looks likes it moves fast (or teleports like knights), since, ya know the old rule about character design. If it's thin, it moves quickly; big, it moves slowly.

EDIT: not that I don't like the idea of an enemy like that ^; Actually, the idea of some dexterous creature with swords on it's hands that climes around like a monkey and then can drop down and rush you sounds like a pretty frightening and fun enemy. At least, that's what I would make a character that looks like that do.

Damnit I love coming up with ideas for things like that and working out how they would fit into other things. I wish I could make games.

The Flash

Banned
Since I'm new to HaloGAF, I'd like to know what your guys' thoughts are on some of the more recent "controversial" elements of the Halo franchise. Reach, armor abilities, H4, Spartan Ops, H4's ending, etc. Do you like armor abilities? Did you like Spartan Ops? That kind of thing.

Since I'm new to HaloGAF, I'd like to know what your guys' thoughts are on some of the more recent controversial elements of the Halo franchise. Reach, armor abilities, H4, Spartan Ops, H4's ending, etc.

controversial elements are garbage.
Ordnance is garbage.
Loadouts are garbage.
AAs are garbage
Flinch is garbage
perks are garbage.
Spartan Ops was "push buttons" "cutscene"
Lack of in-game rank is garbage.
this "everybody is special, no one should lose" mentality is garbage.

The Flash

Banned
controversial elements are garbage.
Ordnance is garbage.
Loadouts are garbage.
AAs are garbage
Flinch is garbage
perks are garbage.
Spartan Ops was "push buttons" "cutscene"
Lack of in-game rank is garbage.
this "everybody is special, no one should lose" mentality is garbage.

A purist then? I dig it.

Chettlar

Banned
HaloMMO6.jpg

This is more the kind of idea I was talking about earlier (just found this looking through the pictures Slightly Live linked to). Except of course less cartoony and with a hammer kind of thing instead of that stupid looking cannon thing. Maybe have the head more inline with that thing in the Halo 5 teaser

EDIT: unrelated, but I really, really like these:

ENS_MPv01.jpg

ENSlocation2_v04.jpg

Ora

Banned
Hopefully this never happens again. Single shot weapons > burst fire.

Automatics>Burst>>>>>Single shot

AR Melee combo in Halo 3 was the height of Halo for me. Throw all your grenades, rush a room spraying and beat everyone down. Nothing has given me that same rush or sense of true competition since.

I'll miss you Halo 3 :_(

AR Melee combo in Halo 3 was the height of Halo for me. Throw all your grenades, rush a room spraying and beat everyone down. Nothing has given me that same rush or sense of true competition since.

youre_serious_futurama.gif

opinions be opinions though

EDIT: oh good, not real

This guy has jokes.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Shadow Fall MP is terrible. Worse than Halo 4 Infinity stuff. It also has like 2k players. I'll probably never play it again after today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom