• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ora

Banned
Single shots are just...boring. Watching Halo CE pistol battles puts me to sleep. Tons of missed shots and whiffed melees. At least they use grenades a little. AR though, that's a fun and exciting weapon. Spraying round after round at my opponents is a great feeling. The Melee lunge to top it all of is exhilarating too. Just the epitome of the perfect combo in gaming. Utilizing that Golden triangle was key in Halo 3. Halo 3 >>>>

Ramirez

Shadow Fall MP is terrible. Worse than Halo 4 Infinity stuff. It also has like 2k players. I'll probably never play it again after today.

Bullshit. No auto aim=one of the most skillful console FPS games out there, and it also had no random power weapon drops, so saying it's worse than IS is some of the worst hyperbole I've ever read on here.

Single shots are just...boring. Watching Halo CE pistol battles puts me to sleep. Tons of missed shots and whiffed melees. At least they use grenades a little. AR though, that's a fun and exciting weapon. Spraying round after round at my opponents is a great feeling. The Melee lunge to top it all of is exhilarating too. Just the epitome of the perfect combo in gaming. Utilizing that Golden triangle was key in Halo 3. Halo 3 >>>>

The UNSC Spirit of Waypoint right here.

tZOS8.gif

Mistel

Banned
I prefer a single shot weapon to a burst weapon with random spread. i hate people's reliance on having the BR be the End all be all of utility weapons.
The carbine is the way to go along with a BR, feels much more enjoyable with the carbine for me but I can use a BR just fine. Both have their uses but as utility weapons they perform slightly differently.
Single shots are just...boring. Watching Halo CE pistol battles puts me to sleep. Tons of missed shots and whiffed melees. At least they use grenades a little.
Funknown are you still breathing? :p CE isn't that bad to watch Reach and 4 was far worse.

The carbine is the way to go along with a BR, feels much more enjoyable with the carbine for me but I can use a BR just fine. Both have their uses but as utility weapons they perform slightly differently.

Funknown are you still breathing? :p CE is that bad to watch Reach and 4 was far worse.

I use the Carbine and DMR in 4. i can use the BR its just that i dont find it fun or entertaining.

Mistel

Banned
I use the Carbine and DMR in 4. i can use the BR its just that i dont find it fun or entertaining.
Carbine all the way with a BR from someones body to replace my pistol, there's nothing wrong with using it but the carbine is so much more enjoyable. that said it feels like a guilty pleasure with a BR in halo 4.

Funknown are you still breathing? :p CE isn't that bad to watch Reach and 4 was far worse.

Didn't think Ora was being serious, but if he was then his issue with CE can be summarized by "watching." Clearly he never played the game for any period of time ;]

its just that i dont find it fun or entertaining.

Can't disagree with you there. There aren't many things as frustrating in Halo as shooting someone with your utility weapon only to have shots randomly miss even though your aiming was spot on.

This was Halo 3 multiplayer in a nutshell. I'll never understand how people can love that game if they put years into CE or Halo 2 (comparatively). The Halo 2 BR was alright, but the poor netcode made it a chore sometimes unless you had host advantage.

Computer

How can they make a good Halo when not even Halogaf can agree on what default Halo should be. If there are no loaouts what should be the default starting weapons in Halo 5.

Ora

Banned
How can they make a good Halo when not even Halogaf can agree on what default Halo should be. If there are no loaouts what should be the default starting weapons in Halo 5.

Just give us three weapons to start.

AR primary (60+ round mag pls)
BR secondary
Pistol tertiary

Perfect combo. Everyone is pleased.

Ora

Banned
Didn't think Ora was being serious, but if he was then his issue with CE can be summarized by "watching." Clearly he never played the game for any period of time ;]

Oh I played so much CE multiplayer! It was mostly bumper cars with warthogs. Friends called me a casual, not sure what that means.

Computer

The reason why there are loadouts in Halo is because you cant make everyone happy so let them pick there own weapons. I say 343 needs to say fuck it we came up with default settings with default starting weapons. If you don't like the gun you start with there are guns on the map go fight for them. Halo is trying to hard to cater everyone's needs. There should not be playlist inside playlist as in Halo 4. Team Slayer needs to be Team Slayer. Not Team Slayer, Infinity Slayer, Legendary Slayer. When dose it stop.

Just give us three weapons to start.

AR primary (60+ round mag pls)
BR secondary
Pistol tertiary

Perfect combo. Everyone is pleased.
Why not make the pistol a mandatory weapon that everyone has all the time? So you have a primary, a secondary, and a pistol.

Mistel

Banned
Game would be fine if everything wasn't anti vehicle.
It's so annoying vehicles are a death trap already, maybe a revamp of that part of the sandbox? Halo has some cool vehicles it's a shame base gameplay prevents thier usage.

Just checking :p. Who else could I talk to about inconsistency in the utility weapons of several sandboxes?

Oh I played so much CE multiplayer! It was mostly bumper cars with warthogs. Friends called me a casual, not sure what that means.

I was fuming under my fedora before I saw this post. RIP BR

Never heard of it. Did you just make it up or is this something I should have known about?

But meh, not really what I'm thinking of. I'm thinking of something more hulking, since the point is for another enemy like Hunters. Also, that looks way too much like a knight, which I don't like the look of, nor does it look like it would move like a Hunter at all, being so thin. It looks likes it moves fast (or teleports like knights), since, ya know the old rule about character design. If it's thin, it moves quickly; big, it moves slowly.

EDIT: not that I don't like the idea of an enemy like that ^; Actually, the idea of some dexterous creature with swords on it's hands that climes around like a monkey and then can drop down and rush you sounds like a pretty frightening and fun enemy. At least, that's what I would make a character that looks like that do.

Damnit I love coming up with ideas for things like that and working out how they would fit into other things. I wish I could make games.

Eh, I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of science fantasy stuff, weird hippie forerunner genesong shit included. I've liked that in the past, when Forerunners / Prometheans are enemies, they're either Terminator levels of skele-metal or they're just about as big and beefy as athletic humanoids would be, but scaled up. A big, ogre / troll-style monster doesn't seem like it'd fit with the design philosophy of the Forerunners, even if it was more of a sentry drone sort of thing. The Covenant did have a hulking mass of monster that was scrapped in Halo 2, known as the Drinol Beast or possibly the Sharquoi:

Halo_1_Drinol.jpg

That being said, even it looks questionable as a Halo enemy - I don't necessarily like the idea of an organic, Covenant unit surpassing the scale the Hunters tend to convey. If we need another big, biological enemy, I'd prefer some kind of Flood unit - like maybe the Thrasher Form from Halo Wars:

FLOOD_Thrasher.jpg

It was more of a primate-styled deal, but it reminded me of a Thorn Beast, just infected. If we have to get some kind of titan-sized enemy, I'd love a "Lich King" Flood unit that led the forms around it - like a Brute Chieftan, but bigger, and with some actual "grace" to it, indicating the local Flood infestation was getting smarter. Maybe make it about the size of the Flood Juggernaut... it could even be an infected Promethean Warrior! One of the original Knights, not the mechanical ones. Just re-use some of these old Combat Forms concepts from Halo 4's artbook:

The Promethean concept I posted was an old idea for a Knight variant known as the Hacker I came up with. Under normal circumstances, it would stand mostly condensed into a single unit with four floating "pixie wings," and it would have a visor mounted over its face - using some simplistic laser sights, it'd scan for foreign contaminants and walk around harmlessly. In the event that it found foreign materials, like vehicles or weapons, it'd walk up and its four pixie wings would gently float around the object and use lasers to dissect / immolate it out of existence, offering a simple but eye-catching way for the battlefield to clear up extra objects. If it happened to detect you during a scan, it'd go berserk into the lime-colored monster I posted, quadruple-wielding melee weapons: the forefront arms would have Gravity Hammer-styled hardlight staves, while the anterior ones would have simpler hardlight daggers. Once it berserked, it would start making beelines towards the players it detected to try and eviscerate them and anything else nearby. As for the scale, it'd be huge, even by current standards - something like 14 feet tall. The idea behind the concept was to make something technically beneficial by clearing up resources, while also giving players incentive to add some logic to their movements and not wind up overstaying their welcome. The feel of combat would be a mix of fighting a Halo 3-era Brute Chieftan mixed with the "sharptooth finale" at the end of The Land Before Time, where you'd have to work as a team to effectively dispatch it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
About to start up this HaloGAF Customs lobby! Message, "TashiGAF" for an invite.

And please, only HaloGAF members while we're playing Gabo's new gametype.

Ahem.

Or do I just have horrible memory and that's what is said right after...

both our memories were a bit off.

Red vs Blue said:
Caboose: I'm not gonna get married. My dad always said, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

Church: Hey rookie, did you just call my girlfriend a cow?

Tucker: Naw, I think he just called her a slut.

Church: I'll tell you what noob, I could sit out here and listen to you insult my girlfriend all day long, but as it turns out, I've got an a much more important job for you to do.

Chettlar

Banned
I was fuming under my fedora before I saw this post. RIP BR

Eh, I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of science fantasy stuff, weird hippie forerunner genesong shit included. I've liked that in the past, when Forerunners / Prometheans are enemies, they're either Terminator levels of skele-metal or they're just about as big and beefy as athletic humanoids would be, but scaled up. A big, ogre / troll-style monster doesn't seem like it'd fit with the design philosophy of the Forerunners, even if it was more of a sentry drone sort of thing. The Covenant did have a hulking mass of monster that was scrapped in Halo 2, known as the Drinol Beast or possibly the Sharquoi:

That being said, even it looks questionable as a Halo enemy - I don't necessarily like the idea of an organic, Covenant unit surpassing the scale the Hunters tend to convey. If we need another big, biological enemy, I'd prefer some kind of Flood unit - like maybe the Thrasher Form from Halo Wars:

It was more of a primate-styled deal, but it reminded me of a Thorn Beast, just infected. If we have to get some kind of titan-sized enemy, I'd love a "Lich King" Flood unit that led the forms around it - like a Brute Chieftan, but bigger, and with some actual "grace" to it, indicating the local Flood infestation was getting smarter. Maybe make it about the size of the Flood Juggernaut... it could even be an infected Promethean Warrior! One of the original Knights, not the mechanical ones. Just re-use some of these old Combat Forms concepts from Halo 4's artbook:

The Promethean concept I posted was an old idea for a Knight variant known as the Hacker I came up with. Under normal circumstances, it would stand mostly condensed into a single unit with four floating "pixie wings," and it would have a visor mounted over its face - using some simplistic laser sights, it'd scan for foreign contaminants and walk around harmlessly. In the event that it found foreign materials, like vehicles or weapons, it'd walk up and its four pixie wings would gently float around the object and use lasers to dissect / immolate it out of existence, offering a simple but eye-catching way for the battlefield to clear up extra objects. If it happened to detect you during a scan, it'd go berserk into the lime-colored monster I posted, quadruple-wielding melee weapons: the forefront arms would have Gravity Hammer-styled hardlight staves, while the anterior ones would have simpler hardlight daggers. Once it berserked, it would start making beelines towards the players it detected to try and eviscerate them and anything else nearby. As for the scale, it'd be huge, even by current standards - something like 14 feet tall. The idea behind the concept was to make something technically beneficial by clearing up resources, while also giving players incentive to add some logic to their movements and not wind up overstaying their welcome. The feel of combat would be a mix of fighting a Halo 3-era Brute Chieftan mixed with the "sharptooth finale" at the end of The Land Before Time, where you'd have to work as a team to effectively dispatch it.

^ I like that idea, honestly. Sounds very interesting, and I can see that working in a Halo setting. Sounds like fun.

Still, I like my monkey idea too. In other words, a miniature version of what you have, but in sets of five or six, and standing about four feet tall. Give them some sort of scream (kinda like how Chimpanzees scream). Then envision something like that infected with the flood.

Still, take this thing and make it smaller, take away it's wings, make the head smaller (sort of like the Hunter's small head...thing), give it fairly proportional arms., give it a hard light hammer, and have it be fairly dumb, but very skilled.

In other words, the creature itself would not be large, but it would be covered in very heavy armor, thus looking huge and hulking.

I mean, Knights are mostly humans, as I understand it, thus explaining the skulls, but they stand very tall and have giant things on their backs, thus being significantly larger than the actual "flesh" inside them. Alternatively, you could also call this thing a minator, or something, since it was originally part human (just as the knights, and your hacker; again, I like the idea), but is now mixed with a type of beast (forerunner tech). Not that it should have horns. That would look weird.

Basically, I want another enemy that fights like Hunters --though not at the exclusion hunters. I think there is space for both if done right. It shouldn't be a replacement for Hunters. Rather a significant variation with the same basic idea. I'm not quite sure how to explain what I mean when I try to explain it.

You say 14 feet tall? That's like...perfect. I like that. This ogre/minator/etc. could stand about 10 feet tall. About how tall are Hunters? about 8 right?

Lol, I just thought of another enemy: Slaves. Basically, zombie like characters with plasma pistol-like guns that all mindlessly follow a central enemy (like, "master" or whatever) who is significantly more powerful and intelligent, though not like a boss character. Somewhat cliche, but kill the Master (I don't like that name, but I'm using atm), and the slaves go berserk. Not scatter, just run around and loose their togetherness (which they head because of the central intelligence in the Master that they were connected to like so many other forerunner things -- like gravemind's telepathy thing), making it easier to pick them apart and kill them. Just ideas.

both our memories were a bit off.

Wait, Caboose isn't the one who says the cow thing?

Wat.

What episode is that? Isn't it the first one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom