• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Banned
I'd like for some key info on the screen before a match, such as Power-up/power weapon spawn timers, etc. -- provide the player with more knowledge instead of adjusting the gameplay to cater to lesser-skilled/informed players.

Show a map layout similar to Gears and have this info on there, for example.

The issue with that is that once people know what something is or where it is or what have you, having it shoved in their faces gets annoying real quick.

The timing and stuff for powerfups and weapon spawns is something that could be gone over in a quick training program type tutorial thing. As for weapon placement....that's what forge/custom games are for. To get familiar with the maps. Having it show up and clutter up the main matchmaking screen after we all know this kind of stuff can be annoying. At least put it off in a little sub menu.

Though I do like the loading screen showing where weapons are ala Gears of War.

Chettlar

Banned
WHY DO YOU GUYS HATE IT SO MUCH

I've gotten a good 5 or 6 nays to it with virtually no explanations behind them.

I don't remember if I posted my reasons for disliking it or not. Basically, it's extremely cluttered and confusing. I have no idea what I'm looking at or where I should look for important information.

Classic case and point of "Shapes/colors/symbols>Words." It mainly has to do with those things being less cluttered and messy than words look. Plus, people recognize and understand symbols a lot quicker.

Like, what would it be like if you were running around in a match, and in the bottom of your screen you see "TRIPLE KILL" and "KILLING SPREE" and all that without any symbols. Once you know what the symbols and pictures for that mean, it's much more efficient and way less messy. Same applies to menus.

And I hope you aren't taking this all personally. I like most of your ideas. :)

Sorry Speedy.. :lol

geSqyqx.png

belushy

Banned
I hope it is. Getting a Halo 5 remix out on time would be great.

I've gotten a good 5 or 6 nays to it with virtually no explanations behind them.

It is just way too convoluted and scary. Way too much stuff on the screen. A lot of the stuff you have up there isn't even important. I can see what you were going for, but that kind of menu just doesn't work in Halo.

I will say, at least you tried something very different from other UI concepts that were posted in the thread.

NOKYARD

It's the first time i've had to put on my reading glasses to view a UI mockup, and even then it was difficult to read. Normally, i only use glasses for night driving and to read the fine print ingredient lists on food packaging. You shouldn't need to read a good UI to fully understand what's going on.

At least Rod Fergusson is back with Gears. And we all knew that Microsoft was going to do something like this.

i love gears as much as Halo so this is a win-win for me. if halo 5 is shit, i'll just go back to playing Gears.

E:Sick burn on Speedy. that aside, CBOAT needs to learn how to fucking type. it feels like im reading something from a rapper's twitter.

TheOddOne

Cool, I look forward to it. Just remember that I'm not saying the the Halo 3 menus are bad. I like them a lot.

In fact, my own mockup will probably be more inline with that style than the mockup in the video.
I feel that the mockup, and Halo 4’s UI, is more about being flashy than actually giving information fast and effectively.

jbzK5kpSLCEQUi.png

Looks cool, but wasted space overall.

jQuibeg6wQuqR.png

Great, but buries some cool features.

While bringing things like skulls and difficulty to the forefront are one of the finer things about the mockup design, it does however take so much space that could be used to give feedback about other thing on the UI—such as the amount of players that are in the lobby, how to invite people and what kind of setting they are playing (local, multi or lan). The things that matter to the overall social experience. It should be fast, snappy, responsive and everything should be laid the instant your eye sees the screen. That mockup and Halo 4’s UI don’t quite take that into account, it looks pretty I give you that―but it also lifeless and does not promote a welcoming environment for players.

That is my view on what makes a good UI.

That's so awesome Karl.

Henery, congrats on winning the highest honor in tonight's ceremony. Please accept this award on behalf of myself and all the Tashi Ceiling victims. Any words?

My head is really, really sore dude.

That's a great piece of work Karl. Best bit is Stephen 'I spend the rest of the game betraying yoinkers even if it's accidental' 08 having the most yoinks. Delicious.

Nebula

At least Rod Fergusson is back with Gears. And we all knew that Microsoft was going to do something like this.

i love gears as much as Halo so this is a win-win for me. if halo 5 is shit, i'll just go back to playing Gears.

E:Sick burn on Speedy. that aside, CBOAT needs to learn how to fucking type. it feels like im reading something from a rapper's twitter.

He types with his ass as to avoid detection.

IHaveIce

Banned
1 Ok my opinion on the Gears/Black Tusk stuff.

It is a damn shame, we lost a potential new IP, that had an interesting teaser to a franchise that should have been left in the last generation of Consoles.
The Gears series was the perfect example of a series to struggle to find their qualities and how to improve them or keep them. While the first one was great, the second one was heavily disliked, the third one was again pretty good, with Judgement being absolute shit aka the Halo 4 of Gears games.

Spending a huge ( potential) amount of money for the franchise and putting a studio that was described with "will bring the next big thing like Halo" to work on it just seems so disappointing, it really hurts.

I had no big hopes for an announcement today that would satisfy me, but this was awkward.
Though let us see, if it is just the same Gears stuff again in new graphics.. well count me out. Gears itself was just a decent third person shooter that benefitted from being one of the first good ones with MP. We don't need it.

Also from a different kind of aspect I am shocked that Epic sold it, yeah they say they work on games and shouldn't forget about Fortnite, but a hard task if you remember we saw nothing about the game since the reveal.. and honestly that game didn't look that interesting.

2 Bummed that we got no halo news, I said it already on twitter, I would like to see more devs taking the route of Team Dakota and the Killer Instinct team and stream their process.

3 Not interested in a new Left 4 dead, but new Source engine and Cboat shitting on Speedy was awesome

wwm0nkey

After Judgement I don't think Gears can ever make a comeback sales wise sadly. Halo I think can since most are willing to give it a chance but Judgement died....soooooo fast.

Nebula

Gears has an interesting universe under all the grit, and I'd love to see that expanded upon, but I'm not sure how they can bring it back though.

Gears of war fanbase (at least in mexico) left mostly after seeing most of the core settings being removed so the game died pretty fast, faster than Halo 4.

But I like the official Epic forum comunity, they were heavily involved of how the game was developed in the beta version of the game.

Overall it has too much info, like a lot of the map stuff is superfluous after you've played it a couple times, ditto with gametypes. I think stuff like that should be somewhere (in the damn game, not Waypoint), but not in main the lobby screen, especially right before a game with a ticking timer. Personally, I would like to see a "Playlist Catalog" where you can browse all the maps and settings in a playlist while waiting for a match and easily escape to vote.

Would still like a few more thoughts on my mockup
Font is deplorable, but the overall design is low key and in line with what I'd want. Scrolling through the roster would pull up valuable player stats (like KDR, games completed, assist %, etc) that are relevant to the playlist at hand, with more detail available when you actually select the player (A button on your menu).

I'd love to have a Gears-type power weapon overview when the map vote is completed and able to view while loading up.

Karl2177

Fine. Here's my thoughts on all of them, except mine.

Fuck Metro

http://i.imgur.com/Pt4k6I1.jpg

Player card changes based on highlighted player
Too much on the screen at once. That middle bar makes the whole thing feel cluttered. Also, you have to worry about screen safe zones.

Nice job Stalker, here's Rambles from last year

http://i.imgur.com/Ax0ed.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mQrAm.jpg
The text is really small and you'd have to worry about screen resolutions that are less than monitor quality. Almost any standard HDTV less than 24" is going to have issues reading that. Again, the screen safe zones render a good chunk of that unusable.

*faces. you can pretty much say goodbye to your torso, too.

It's here, people! It's more GTAV than Halo with regards to aesthetic, but I was going for minimalist functionality over trying to pull a completely unique, Halo-style UI out of my ass because there's no way I could manage that in one night. That being said, the menu does take some inspiration from Halo, particularly the formatting of the Terminals, hence the button prompts in brackets, dynamic text strings, etc. I don't know how much could realistically be pulled off on XBO. The major thing setting it apart from the other UI demos so far is that rather than try and cram all the data you could ever want into a single screen, there are two Menu Modes: Social, and Tactical. Social is a Halo 4 / Reach sort of deal where you can see what the other Spartans are up to, while Tactical is megapost city. This is in no way a perfect system, and I acknowledge that.

http://i.minus.com/inPeR3Cegn7D6.png

Click to expand, each shot is native 1080p. The team organization is admittedly more Halo 4 than the past entries, but I like the idea of a unifying emblem per team. Tactical menu mode has a bunch of information at your disposal, including everything a newcomer could ever want. A large majority of these pages would be modifiable per custom map / gametype. Maps would have room for both a lore description and a small gametype-related anecdote, as well as the ability to list Key Weapons and Ideal Gametypes, up to 4 apiece. Gametypes, on the other hand, can have up to five general Gametype Settings and Player Traits displayed in the pregame lobby, a function customizable per gametype. They also include two description fields, and I'd imagine the Xbox One would allow for some formatting including simple things like accent colors, pulling gametype stats per user (allowing for Terminal-style "dynamic documents") or the ability to namedrop a user by gamertag. Player size and gametype author are added at the end of either's first description to save space. Active Roster is still integrated into the same menu just like Reach, but it requires a Halo 2-styled Y press to "open" it and scroll down.

The implementation of Accent coloration is pretty straightforward. Under Game Details and UI Settings (pictured below), accent coloration is used in situations where a default setting value isn't used; for example, with your Starting Weapon set to Tool of Destruction instead of the typical Battle Rifle. As you can see, holding down Back will bring up some UI customization options, which'll turn the menu into:

http://i.minus.com/i766ZtNKTYnE9.png

Similar to the XBO's UI itself, you can choose an accent color for flavor text, which I imagine would just pull from the potential armor / emblem colors. Accents can also be turned off, just in case anyone's annoyed by it or something like color-blindness is causing a readability issue. In case you haven't noticed, the Custom Game lobby also uses customized backgrounds depending on what map you have selected, which would just be an expanded / blurred picture of the map thumbnail. The background itself also changes depending on what your accent color is; if you have accents disabled, it'll just use whatever coloration you were using before you disabled them. The Header and Footer are completely superfluous, and as such I've tucked them completely away into the blind-zone of HDTVs. The bottom would cycle through simple how-to-play stuff or Halo news via Waypoint, depending on which you have selected. Clicking in both sticks would toggle between Tips and News. To save us some headaches in the future, I also added in some options like Request Party lead to avoid the whole "who wants party lead? okay who was that?" thing that always happens now, as well as a Request Host option to avoid Ozzy screwing us all over.
Then again, with dedicated servers...

So, what happens if you hit both triggers?

http://i.minus.com/ibuI0BQus1lrf.png

Boom. Every casual's wet dream. Accent color goes from Coral to Tempest Turquoise to showcase the differences in coloration, too. The middle pane pimps your Spartan's duds, and showcases your personal Emblem (top) and Clan Emblem (bottom). It also uses your gamertag's name and motto. This setup is designed with the ability to customize your baseball card in mind, though - some players might list their Clan and Position, while others might showcase their total playtime or accumulated Boltshot kills.

I threw in some completely unlikely options far-left like "Mute Clan" because I feel like it'd be a godsend going against the inevitable xXxMLGxB0N6xH1TZxXx clans and what have you. As far as Accents go, the turquoise in the player listings shows who you are, and the Active Roster accents anyone that's in your clan. Any accents in the baseball card are listing a stat that's superior to yours - hgs-boson has a higher max rank than you do, for example.

Here's where belief gets completely thrown out the window: Vignettes. Using the Kinect and the power of the Cloud, you can either use in-game Campaign animations (once you've unlocked them), buy custom-made vignette DLC, or record your own unique personal animations for things like victory poses, Assassinations, etc. Everyone would have a "Reel" showcasing the custom options, which could just be a simple Picture-In-Picture thing that'd replace the map thumbnail. Provided the player has made their custom Vignettes public domain, you can also download them for personal use.

And that's pretty much it! I know there's a lot I've probably forgotten and some of the spacing is off because I only have a 1440x900 monitor and had to work at like 50% zoom, but this is probably the most productive thing you guys are going to get out of me all year.

#ChiefForKI
Too much work to navigate. Too much stuff to read. Screen safe zones aren't as bad as some of the others, but it's still there. Aspect ratio is off(2000x1100 at some weird non-standard dpi). Not a clear text standard. I don't know if anyone remembers this(and my google-fu is failing me), but MW2 used something like 3 different fonts and the UI was all over the place in what it was trying to tell you. This is the same.
I made a thing

http://i4.minus.com/ibmJegs6O5dwUu.png

I'll take my check now.
Screen safe zones. Maybe too little info presented.

Here's my original UI that I was working on.
karl1ui_safezones.jpg

In order to accommodate for the safe zones, I redid it a bit. In addition, I made it so it can be rescaled easily.
karl2ui_safezones.png

AlStrong

Looks great for the most part. :)

I think you should keep all the text under the image so I'm not subconsciously darting my eyes all over (don't have to look all the way up then down below). Was thinking the map name could be just underneath the image thumbnail. Gametype could probably be put under game options. The text info is thus all in one general area.

And... I'd probably put the Cancel Countdown next to wherever the timer is supposed to display -> flashing countdown timer in the lower left, unused section + static "(X) Cancel Countdown" text when it's happening.

Maybe just have the (A) button show up next to the name you've highlighted. If I'm looking at the names highlighted, having the (A) + text at another part of the screen is a bit out of the way.

nillapuddin

Is not like the whole book says HALSEY IS EVIL and the end justified the means but I dont think Halsey will have a redemption in the novels or being absolved of what she did. Right now she is a old powerless woman used as a scapegoat while ONI takes all the credit for saving humanity,using her knowledge to build a strong humanity and erasing her work while she is crying for her lost daughter (and son?).

To be fair, at any point whatsoever that the book can crucify her, it does.

I should have mentioned specifically I just read the part where
Naomi is about to be reintroduced to her father
and
BB is steering the bad opinion train all through the chapter and just ranted for an entire page with no line breaks about Halsey, Osman and the ODST's are both pitching in and I simply lost tolerance for it when even Naomi was starting to turn

...Granted, I still have 80 pages left.

But if they start turning all the Spartans against Halsey I'm gunna explode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom