• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
UU3SvVT.jpg

Less clutter, direct to the info. Safe zone friendly.

Fuchsdh

About safe zones. New systems are HDMI only and most HDTVs are 16:9 so does safe zone really matter or am I misunderstanding that?

If you're playing on a monitor you're golden, but lots of TVs still have massive overscan zones (hence why CEA cheated—because on the vast majority of sets no one would notice.)

Title safe is probably no longer a real issue as long as you aren't playing off anamorphic DVDs and the like, but you'd be crazy to stick ay text you wanted read beyond action safe.

All these UI things are fun, I might throw mine into the hat.

jelly

I would remove the map selected picture tile.

The whole background would show the map selected.

The game type would also be shown in the background picture with a scene depicting capture the flag, assault, slayer etc. Spartans running with flags or bombs or all out carnage for slayer as an example.

Then have a simple list of the game settings if needs be outside of customs.

wwm0nkey

If you're playing on a monitor you're golden, but lots of TVs still have massive overscan zones (hence why CEA cheated—because on the vast majority of sets no one would notice.)

Title safe is probably no longer a real issue as long as you aren't playing off anamorphic DVDs and the like, but you'd be crazy to stick ay text you wanted read beyond action safe.

All these UI things are fun, I might throw mine into the hat.

So what you are saying is everyone should do what I did and convert into the wonderful low input delay master race and switch over to monitors?

Juan

As a UX & UI designer, I have never saw so much bad user interfaces...

You guys really need to learn things about information hierarchy and usability.

Mistel

Banned

I'd be interested in how some one who does it professionally would do a UI. Would you make something similar to what reach had or more towards 4?

What's up with all the hostility?

I just agree with the guy, I don't like any of your designs but I'm not saying that I could do better. Chill...

Forgive me if I want more constructivism in my criticism than "I don't like it becoz reasons"

Both of my mock UI's were uploaded as work in progress, not final. I expected and value others opinions. It helps me in more ways that you would know.

Fuchsdh

So what you are saying is everyone should do what I did and convert into the wonderful low input delay master race and switch over to monitors?

Probably. I love my cheapo ASUS 21" monitor. Doubles as my primary computer monitor, but it can take up to three VGA/DVI/HDMI inputs, passes audio out to my 3.1 system, and has a 2ms black-to-black response time.

Crazy how much display tech has dropped in price and increased in quality though. My secondary monitor is a 20" DVI display from 2004. It consumes more energy, is less bright, has a worse viewing angle, has a 15ms response time, and cost five times as much.

343 should just hire Gran Turismo 5's UI creator. Looks like it could be right on par with baseball cards.

We can complain about the usability of Halo 4's menu system, but at least it doesn't look like kid plunked down random photoshop layers.

Forgive me if I want more constructivism in my criticism than "I don't like it becoz reasons"

Both of my mock UI's were uploaded as work in progress, not final. I expected and value others opinions. It helps me in more ways that you would know.
Sorry but I don't like the design, the way it looks. It looks somewhat like the Halo 3 one which I don't appreciate that much.

Juan

I'd be interested in how some one who does it professionally would do a UI. Would you make something similar to what reach had or more towards 4?

First, let me say David Candland is a master in term of UI, always loved his work on Halo since CE, he started with a bunch of idea and kept iterate them from the first Halo to the last. So yeah, I had a crush with the UI of Reach, but Halo 4 had some good ideas, like this lobby :

In terme of visual design, you first guess you are not the leader of this group, you know it in less than a second.

About the information hierarchy, you have the right informations about the game you will play, this is just what you need when you're in a lobby (at least when you're a casual). One a the thing I would say about this lobby is there is a wrong icon for this gametype, I'm not sure a flag is a perfect reminder for a slayer gametype.

Now, I will take a picture I saw months ago :

A user interface, for a game or a web site, is a combinaison of a art direction, usability and information hierarchy. When you design a UI, you want it to be easy to read. The UI above is absolutely awful.

Too much informations, and you don't help the player to see what is important, you didn't even highlight who is the leader of this lobby.

You have put two time this is a game with two teams. You even put it three times you count the list of players on right.

If I could write in english as easily as I do it in french, I would have write a lot more about all the awful things I have saw in the two last pages. For know, I just saw people who have absolutly no clue in UI say 343 have made a terrible job without being able to do more and better, and not see that 343 industries had some good ideas in the UI design for Halo 4.

Homie u just got called out by Speedy

Speedy, man. SPEEDY!

Well, I don't even know who this guy. Who is he ?

I know I won't make a lot of friend with this message. I saw there are good ideas here in term of UI and UX, and if I have time, maybe I will make a wireframe for what I think could be a good UI for a Halo game.

But Zeny posted a good picture here. You don't have to reinvent the wheel, Bungie have already make a good job with the UI of Halo the last ten years, and I think that 343 Industries relly trusted they could do it better adding new ideas, but they didn't have the time and the good tools (yeah, Bungie created their own tool for the UI in Halo, but 343 had to work with thing like Flash from Adobe if I remember well).

Madness

Where is that one dude arguing with me about Gears last time. I told you you MS will make sure its exclusive. Ironic that it happened days later after that argument.

Was that me? I said Gears wasn't in the best shape as a franchise after Judgment and that Epic would need it to go multiplatform to make it competitive with games like Destiny and other shooters. That it becomes a question of Epic thinking longterm about the money gained from multiplatform sales as opposed to Microsoft moneyhatting them to make it exclusive again.

I don't think anyone could have predicted Microsoft would buy Gears outright, and secure all the rights to the franchise and give it to Black Tusk in Vancouver to develop.

At least include links to helpful articles so people can get more information about existing bodies of knowledge...

Mistel

Banned
343 should just hire Gran Turismo 5's UI creator. Looks like it could be right on par with baseball cards.
Honestly it took a while to even figure out what I was looking at, that's cluttered and unorganized. Baseball cards are better than that wow.

Juan i'm not going to lie but that when straight over the top of my head. But a instead of stacking players in a custom game under the leader why not have the leader at the top of the list?

Was that me? I said Gears wasn't in the best shape as a franchise after Judgment and that Epic would need it to go multiplatform to make it competitive with games like Destiny and other shooters. That it becomes a question of Epic thinking longterm about the money gained from multiplatform sales as opposed to Microsoft moneyhatting them to make it exclusive again.

I don't think anyone could have predicted Microsoft would buy Gears outright, and secure all the rights to the franchise and give it to Black Tusk in Vancouver to develop.

Don't care enough about this to get into a whole thing.

I still firmly believe that Judgement had the best encounters in any game. While it was the definition of filler it's still a great game in it's own right with some unique locations, better gameplay than the rest of the franchise and some great changes to the gameplay.

It was sent to die with little marketing and stuff and a terrible MP portion

All that aside, Gears is synonymous with the Xbox brand. Microsoft letting it go multiplatform would have been a big a fuck up as when they lost mass effect exclusivity.

belushy

Banned
I feel like players of the game should be allowed to critique a UI. We are the ones who are playing the game everyday, and everytime we get on we have to look at it. To me, Halo 4's design was ugly and confusing. Reach's and Halo 3's were not confusing, and got straight to the point. I don't see that difference in a lot of the UI designs that have been posted in the thread except for Wahrer's and Rambles'.

Don't care enough about this to get into a whole thing.

I still firmly believe that Judgement had the best encounters in any game. While it was the definition of filler it's still a great game in it's own right with some unique locations, better gameplay than the rest of the franchise and some great changes to the gameplay.

It was sent to die with little marketing and stuff and a terrible MP portion

All that aside, Gears is synonymous with the Xbox brand. Microsoft letting it go multiplatform would have been a big a fuck up as when they lost mass effect exclusivity.

They over-simplified the gameplay and changed base elements that didnt need a change (loadout system), removed horde mode. increased aim assist and Bullet Mag. they removed DBNO. and the Multiplayer maps were Horrible.

Madness

For now, I just saw people who have absolutly no clue in UI say 343 have made a terrible job without being able to do more and better, and not see that 343 industries had some good ideas in the UI design for Halo 4.

This is a ridiculous point. I don't claim to be a UX/UI designer who knows about the importance of information hierarchy and all that jazz. I've never once said I could do better. But I will state that the UI for Halo 4 is horrendous, and I base it off the fact that the UI of the previous games in the series was better. Better in terms of font, better in terms of colors and design, better in terms of easy to read, easy to use, better in terms of showing me the information I actually need as a Halo player.

What does that tell you as a UX/UI designer then, that I would literally take the UI that a lot of the people here have posted, over the one in Halo 4?

Juan

At least include links to helpful articles so people can get more information about existing bodies of knowledge...

Well, I would recommend :

Vox Product team have some good insight : https://twitter.com/VoxProduct

Creative Bloq share some excellent articles and interview with designers : https://twitter.com/CreativeBloq

Smashing Magazine is a temple for every web & digital designers : https://twitter.com/smashingmag

Geoffrey Dorne is a french designer who put his focus on the user when he create something, his brand is called humans & design : https://twitter.com/GeoffreyDorne (yeah, it's in french)

Designer News Layervault is also a good start : https://news.layervault.com/

Reddit/r/Web_design too : http://www.reddit.com/r/web_design

And I would also recommend some collections from medium :

mobile culture : https://medium.com/mobile-culture

design / UX : https://medium.com/design-ux

User Experience Research : https://medium.com/user-experience-researche

Product design : https://medium.com/product-design

And some articles I liked by the past from medium too : https://medium.com/@JuanGGZ/has-recommended

@Stormtrooper: I'm not sure to understand your question, sorry. :-/

You mean for the first picture I've posted, Halo 4, or the second one ?

Choo Choo

another member for the Bad Opinion Train.
Bad Opinion?

I feel like players of the game should be allowed to critique a UI. We are the ones who are playing the game everyday, and everytime we get on we have to look at it. To me, Halo 4's design was ugly and confusing. Reach's and Halo 3's were not confusing, and got straight to the point. I don't see that difference in a lot of the UI designs that have been posted in the thread except for Wahrer's and Rambles'.
I feel exactly the opposite. I like to have a useful, responsive and with a good look to it menu. Halo 3 was horrible, ugly and to much bland. Halo 4's menu was simple imo and had good ideas supporting it. I hope they improve with Halo 5.

A menu doesn't need to be ugly to be useful and straight to the point and I think that Halo 3 menu is really really ugly (Halo Reach menu was better). My opinion of course.

Mistel

Banned
@Stormtrooper: I'm not sure to understand your question, sorry. :-/ You mean for the first picture I've posted, Halo 4, or the second one ?
It could apply to both, for the game with two team's have the leader at the top followed by their team. I don't see how 4's UI is more informative than a clearly ordered list.

Juan

This is a ridiculous point. I don't claim to be a UX/UI designer who knows about the importance of information hierarchy and all that jazz. I've never once said I could do better. But I will state that the UI for Halo 4 is horrendous, and I base it off the fact that the UI of the previous games in the series was better. Better in terms of font, better in terms of colors and design, better in terms of easy to read, easy to use, better in terms of showing me the information I actually need as a Halo player.

What does that tell you as a UX/UI designer then, that I would literally take the UI that a lot of the people here have posted, over the one in Halo 4?

Did I say Halo 4 was better ? No. I even said you don't need to reinvent the wheel, and that's what 343 Industries tried to make, but it wasn't necessary.

Trust me, I'm not a huge fan of the UI in Halo 4, I even tell that to Frankie when he was in France to show us the game. But there are some good ideas, badly made.

But I keep thinking you will kill you after a month if you had a game with the UI I saw before in this thread (not the one in white).

Just an idea, why not toggle having Reach UI or H4 Baseball card design?

Finaly someone with a good idea. Yeah, you could create something like :

User Name - Level
---- Player card, display a block under the name when selected/hover
User Name - Level
User Name - Level
User Name - Level
User Name - Level
etc....

Duji

Put up or shut up.

again, put up or shut up

Yes because people don't have the right to criticize UIs unless they've made UIs.

Criticizing a book? Write your own book, otherwise shut up.
Criticizing a movie? Make your own movie, otherwise shut up.
Criticizing Halo 4? Make you own game, otherwise shut up.

They over-simplified the gameplay and changed base elements that didnt need a change (loadout system), removed horde mode. increased aim assist and Bullet Mag. they removed DBNO. and the Multiplayer maps were Horrible.
I can't wait to see your awesome multiplayer maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom