• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYC

Banned
Hirednoobs, you said you got a Wii U a couple of pages back? You gotta try Black Ops 2 or Ghosts with Wiimote controls. It's incredibly fun. Only downside is the abysmal populations; Black Ops 2 has about 1.5k average, and Ghosts apparently sits around 3.5k from what I've read.

belushy

Banned
They are just switching to PC for normal MM, though they want MurderMiners 2 to be on PC/PS4/One

Can't wait to see what they plan to do with MM2. I like the visual look but if they can some how find a way to make it look less "blocky" then that would be nice. Also a more advanced spect. mode would be awesome.

wwm0nkey

Can't wait to see what they plan to do with MM2. I like the visual look but if they can some how find a way to make it look less "blocky" then that would be nice. Also a more advanced spect. mode would be awesome.
Thats the plan, use something like redfaction or starforge for level destruction rather than blocks.

I still talk to them and their plans are pretty good so far. Oh and the game sold 500k+ on Xbox.

belushy

Banned
Thats the plan, use something like redfaction or Starfleet for level destruction rather than blocks.

I still talk to them and their plans are pretty good so far. Oh and the game sold 500k+ on Xbox.

Well deserved on the sales front. I think they could get another 500k once it gets on Steam too. I got it for a $1 but I wouldn't mind going in for $5 on the PC version tbh. I kind of hope they raise the price once it is on steam.

Hirednoobs, you said you got a Wii U a couple of pages back? You gotta try Black Ops 2 or Ghosts with Wiimote controls. It's incredibly fun. Only downside is the abysmal populations; Black Ops 2 has about 1.5k average, and Ghosts apparently sits around 3.5k from what I've read.

Nice, add me on the Wii U breh.

UNKNOWN-iXi

Same goes for Hired, Barrow (cuz I know you're gonna be on DAT SMASH/Mario Kart!) and whoever else.

I really can't wait to play H2A next year.

I missed them so much, I remember seeing one of those with the sword was a instant kill

20090216023956!Councilor1.jpg

Also I dont remember I never played against these guys

wwm0nkey

Well deserved on the sales front. I think they could get another 500k once it gets on Steam too. I got it for a $1 but I wouldn't mind going in for $5 on the PC version tbh. I kind of hope they raise the price once it is on steam.
$5 is the planned price, like most XBLIG titles anything above $1 sells like shit so they had to go the $1 route (was originally $3)

Also if they get the steamwork API working nicely with the game Matchmaking is finally going to happen on the PC version.

Mistel

Banned
Also I dont remember I never played against these guys

The councilors where killed by the brutes on delta halo, they went to see its activation or something similar. I think that head crest makes it look like the alien queen.

Is there going to be a halo 2 anniversary game for Xbone?

I just noticed, are they reusing any assets? The Fallen thigh-pack things look a lot like one of the Utility attachments available for Reach Spartans.

tj hazuki

HaloGaf, whenever I try to stream in twitch, my page is laggy, the audio is echoing and the video player is repeating itself

I'm trying to start to stream some ghosts, or Global Offensive but this is keep on happening when I try to stream anything. The software I'm using is twitch.

belushy

Banned
HaloGaf, whenever I try to stream in twitch, my page is laggy, the audio is echoing and the video player is repeating itself

I'm trying to start to stream some ghosts, or Global Offensive but this is keep on happening when I try to stream anything. The software I'm using is twitch.

I believe there is a problem with twitch lately were you pretty much have to have your stream on a 1 minute delay in order for it to encode everything fully. Either that or your internet is not good enough to handle a stream or you don't have all the bitrate/quality stuff set up correctly. As for the echo, you'll need to mute the stream if you have your stream page loaded up because the computer will just take anything it hears on the computer and spit it back out to the stream, causing the echo. If it isn't from a stream page opened up, then I have no idea what is wrong. Not sure what you mean by video player repeating itself

IHaveIce

Banned
yup. my 360 is booming right now, feels like a new console with all the games I have on it now.
same for me, you get almost everygame for up to 20 bucks. 360 lives on

Thats the plan, use something like redfaction or starforge for level destruction rather than blocks.

Super hyped for mm2, suddenly I'm less scared if the next Halo will be good. Murder miners will save us.
And deserved success

Super hyped for mm2, suddenly I'm less scared if the next Halo will be good. Murder miners will save us.
And deserved success

2014 is going to be a great year for multiplayer IMO. Titanfall (hopefully it has a good amount of content), Destiny, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. and Halo, coupled with any other releases mixed in. As long as the next Smash is good and has a great online system, I'll have my "go-to game" as soon as I get bored of whatever else I'm playing.

If that sucks, I'll just go back to Smash 64 or Project M on Dolphin netplay. I don't think we'll see MM2 any time soon, but I'll be glad if we do.

Nebula

360 is looking sweet at the moment game wise. I have a second hand shop near me and his prices were always lower than mainstream stores (cex, game ect) and he dropped prices by about 20%. Pretty sweet for me. Hope i get paid before he finishes the sale.

Stopped reading there. What a joke in itself.
If he means combined with the Terminals and SpOps Season 1 & 1.5 then most definitely I have to agree.

The game has a lot of story to offer even though it didn't make it into the game exactly or came without xblg required. In all honesty.

But if he means without any of those then No. The campaign story was DoA for fans that weren't up to date. I knew a little bit about the Didact and Librarian but I was lost with almost everything else...

wwm0nkey

2014 is going to be a great year for multiplayer IMO. Titanfall (hopefully it has a good amount of content), Destiny, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. and Halo, coupled with any other releases mixed in. As long as the next Smash is good and has a great online system, I'll have my "go-to game" as soon as I get bored of whatever else I'm playing.

If that sucks, I'll just go back to Smash 64 or Project M on Dolphin netplay. I don't think we'll see MM2 any time soon, but I'll be glad if we do.
project M should be played by everyone. Plays and looks so look good on Dolphin.

That makes no sense though? The story is the best if you include these hidden and secret out of the way terminals that you cannot even view unless you go on the Internet or leave the game and view on an app. And then also, you need to play the included episodic based DLC that comes out in weekly intervals before stopping for almost a month plus and then starting up again.

It's apples and oranges. No other game had the luxury of third party apps, and DLC for story released months later. Look at the base games and make your decision. And it's obvious many, including me, literally had no clue Wtf was going on aside from Cortana being rampant and some 'ancient evil' being awakened.

I don't deny millions play the game for the story though, and if the multiplayer continues as it is, I'm sure many will ignore multiplayer, keep playing single player to see where Chief ends up.
Its the fact that those terminals and SpOps dlc were planned on being added into the game itself. But "lack of time & resources".

David mentioned all of this to Gaf after asking them what had happened with Terminals & SpOps xblg only.

Madness

Lol, never edit. But what difference does it make? Bungie wanted to add tons of stuff that would have made their games better but they didn't. So that's why Halo 2 and it's ending was universally canned and why people consider it weaker in a sense.

It's the simple fact, you are comparing released games but moving the goalposts on one to include DLC released months after and 'extra' stuff that is not accessed or told anywhere in the game. I mean if I have to quit and watch it after on YouTube or Waypoint app, how is that a positive? Would you like if Halo 5 cut levels short but gave you a link to Waypoint where you can go and read a 50 page summary on what happened?

Who gives a shit lol. Just take a look at all the people saying Halo. The writing is almost on the wall as it is.
Haha. At the worst Halo will drop down from CoD/Battlefield's tier of Sales and drop down to the Uncharted/AssCreed/GoW (both) tier of sales. Microsoft won't be hurting. :p

Lol, never edit. But what difference does it make? Bungie wanted to add tons of stuff that would have made their games better but they didn't. So that's why Halo 2 and it's ending was universally canned and why people consider it weaker in a sense.

It's the simple fact, you are comparing released games but moving the goalposts on one to include DLC released months after and 'extra' stuff that is not accessed or told anywhere in the game. I mean if I have to quit and watch it after on YouTube or Waypoint app, how is that a positive? Would you like if Halo 5 cut levels short but gave you a link to Waypoint where you can go and read a 50 page summary on what happened?
Just bcuz I added Season 1.5 you're excluding the other released content on time, irrelevant?

And you're missing my earlier points brought up from my first post. Since the overall package wasn't delivered as properly as 343 planned to include Terminals on the disc & SpOps season 1 without xblg, than Halo 4, imo, wouldn't beat other previous installments in terms of story.

Madness

Just bcuz I added Season 1.5 you're excluding the other released content on time irrelevant?

And you're missing my earlier points brought up from my first post. Since the overall package wasn't delivered as properly as 343 planned to include Terminals & SpOps season 1 than Halo 4, imo, wouldn't beat other previous installments in terms of story.

Noble, I'm saying no other Halo game needed ancillary footage/extras to make sense of their story. Everything was self contained and explained for the most part.

Even if you include the Terminals, they are hidden, out of the way, almost easter egg type features. I must've missed 4+ on my first playthrough. How many millions did the same and never even saw them? So why are they even included as part of an overall better story? You give a random player all 5 games, a television and a console. No Internet, no laptop, no YouTube. And tell them to play through each game, on normal, what story will be the worst and confusing for them? I'm assuming, that person, like many of us will finish the fight and then wonder just what the heck is going on. Remember, millions of people don't even have gold or aren't connected to the Internet.

I get what your point was, that if you include almost all dlc, terminals, Waypoint symbol notes, you get far more exposition and story, but then, like I said it becomes apples and oranges. Compare the stories for the campaigns that's it.

Madness

Haha. At the worst Halo will drop down from CoD/Battlefield's tier of Sales and drop down to the Uncharted/AssCreed/GoW (both) tier of sales. Microsoft won't be hurting. :p

Double post but who cares, it's late. You're wrong Speedy. Because Uncharted, Assassins Creed were never on the level of Halo. One series is in decline while the others are rising or staying put.

To say Microsoft won't be hurting is ridiculous. This is their baby, their flagship franchise, their fastest selling franchise. Halo 4 was the most expensive game they've ever produced, they won't spend so much if they're seeing diminished player base and retention.

Microsoft has no other IP even close to the worldwide reach and fanbase passion that Halo had. HaloGAF is one of GAF's oldest communities as well. There is a reason for it. To say Microsoft isn't hurting is wrong, they are hurting. They're hurting in the sense other series like GTA and CoD are breaking billion dollar records, that other games are breaking fastest selling records, that there are nearly 14+ games being played more than their own on their own console.

Halo as a console exclusive, had a budget nearly as much as most multiplatform releases, if not more. If it's no longer selling 5-10 million+ copies, but struggling at 2-4 million+ copies, a player base that doesn't stick around for a year, and DLC that doesn't really sell, they're in trouble.

That's my TL;DR quota for the week.

If he means combined with the Terminals and SpOps Season 1 & 1.5 then most definitely I have to agree.

The game has a lot of story to offer even though it didn't make it into the game exactly or came without xblg required. In all honesty.

But if he means without any of those then No. The campaign story was DoA for fans that weren't up to date. I knew a little bit about the Didact and Librarian but I was lost with almost everything else...

As a Halo lorenerd, the whole "Halo 4 ensemble" is incredible, and maybe even the only game in the series that actually ties in nicely with the expanded fiction - what with the Forerunner trilogy novels (incredible scifi, imo), the Forward Unto Dawn movie, the Terminals(must watch to even make sense of the campaign, imo), and SpOps to a slightly lesser extent. All that stuff makes Halo 4 much more enjoyable to me as far as worldbuilding goes. I fed off that stuff and I really appreciate how much effort 343 put into tying it all together - a hell of a lot more than Bungie ever dared, anyway.

The presentation of the campaign was also excellent. Many of the cutscenes were really done well and the Halo universe has never been as fully realized as in Halo 4 (save for perhaps a couple places in Reach, namely the Covenant stuff which was curiously absent from 4, fuck sake). Graphically, despite all the tricks, it is also the most impressive Halo to me (minus some iffy skybox and texture stuff). Yet Reach just demolishes Halo 4's skyboxes for the most part.

If you aren't interested in the "grandiose side" of the story, then there's the whole Chief and Cortana story thread which I actually think is really, really well done, including the somewhat awkward farewell scene at the end. It basically redeems what Halo 3 should have done with the whole rescuing of Cortana and rampancy stuff.

The problem, though, I think, after internalizing it all is that maybe only 10% of the "full picture" even happens in Halo 4's campaign, the other 90% is all the books, comics, terminals, etc. So if you only played through the campaign, it was pretty generic or convoluted - a lot just wasn't made very clear throughout the game. The way they handled reintroducing the Covenant in a one-off line was almost embarassing, even accounting for the fact that Chief and Cortana probably wouldn't know shit all anyway, they still could have added a bit more explanation of Jul M'dama, etc. It almost felt like trying to watch the second season of a saturday morning TV series without seeing the first. A lot of "oh this guy is bad but I'm not sure why", ESPECIALLY after the events of Halo 2 and 3 fresh in your mind.

Aside from multiplayer, the weapon sandbox in the campaign is pretty good, but again, the Promethean weapons are pretty uninspired. And the vehicles are pretty abysmal. Banshee is worthless and a pain in the ass to fight, the Hog is barely used, and the Scorpion section is a straight line. The Mantis is fun enough, but also underused and the "boss fight" at the end of the Infinity section just rubs me the wrong way. I suppose I enjoyed the Broadsword section the most as far as vehicles are concerned, but really, that "ending run" has been done twice before in Halo games, and even once already in Halo 4 with the Ghost.

As for Spartan Ops, well, I mostly enjoyed it after the second half (so long as it's played on Heroic or lower, as Legendary is practically unplayable), but there really isn't much there to make me want to back and play it again. I feel like most of the encounters in the last 3 episodes or so are better than the majority of the encounters in Halo 4 campaign proper. The juvenile writing of the Spartan IV's cast pissed me off as a Halo fan and it felt out of place. Spartans in Reach were cool, Spartans in 4 were not even close to cool and probably more idiotic than anything. And don't even get me started on the deconstruction of Halsey's character by the end of it... However, the worldbuilding Forerunner stuff (Janus key, Librarian, etc) was pretty sweet and get's me excited about what's next, so there's that.

But, to me, the campaign in Halo 4 as a "sandbox game" is way inferior to Halo CE, 2, 3, and maybe most parts of Reach. It's just not nearly as replayable as pretty much any of the other games in the series, including ODST. I'm not sure if it's because the encounter spaces aren't as good, though there are a couple pretty fun ones throughout the game, they mostly seem to play out the same, or because the enemies feel mostly pretty dumb, and though the Covenant are more or less the same mechanics-wise to fight, the Prometheans just aren't fun for me, except the handful of times where it is Covenant-Promethean mix encounters.

I have high hopes for Halo 5 just based on the capabilities of the box alone and I'm hoping 343 learned a ton from 4, but I think I'll be fine skipping 4 on my marathon playthroughs in the future, aside from the cutscenes - and that makes me sad.

Noble, I'm saying no other Halo game needed ancillary footage/extras to make sense of their story. Everything was self contained and explained for the most part.

Even if you include the Terminals, they are hidden, out of the way, almost easter egg type features. I must've missed 4+ on my first playthrough. How many millions did the same and never even saw them? So why are they even included as part of an overall better story? You give a random player all 5 games, a television and a console. No Internet, no laptop, no YouTube. And tell them to play through each game, on normal, what story will be the worst and confusing for them? I'm assuming, that person, like many of us will finish the fight and then wonder just what the heck is going on. Remember, millions of people don't even have gold or aren't connected to the Internet.

I get what your point was, that if you include almost all dlc, terminals, Waypoint symbol notes, you get far more exposition and story, but then, like I said it becomes apples and oranges. Compare the stories for the campaigns that's it.
Now that's more like it. Well since SpOps S1 takes place 6 months after its kinda pointless to add that into the Main Campaign of H4.

Without seeing any of the terminals its poop.
Actually seeing all of it makes more sense.

I totally agree with everything you shared.
Idk a lot about Bungie and their philosophy with Halo's lore in not expanding on other things... But I felt that a minority of them that moved to 343 wanted to continue telling more of the universe. But its as almost as if Bungie didn't want to touch on expanding the Forerunners. Like they'd prefer to keep the mystery untouched but leave us with just the text terminals and nothing more.

Mistel

Banned
gYUwyy1.jpg

I have so many worse things. So many.

I too would have worse things if I wasn't surrounded by siblings.

I totally agree with everything you shared.
Idk a lot about Bungie and their philosophy with Halo's lore in not expanding on other things... But I felt that a minority of them that moved to 343 wanted to continue telling more of the universe. But its as almost as if Bungie didn't want to touch on expanding the Forerunners. Like they'd prefer to keep the mystery untouched but leave us with just the text terminals and nothing more.

I do like the way the universe was expanded in the with greater links to other sources, especially the mantle. Halo 4 campaign reminds me of halo 2 where it sets up the basis for the sequel.

gameplay wise I've got no desire to play the halo 4 campaign, legendary left a sour taste of poor enemy balance with respect to the protheans group.

Havok

But its as almost as if Bungie didn't want to touch on expanding the Forerunners. Like they'd prefer to keep the mystery untouched but leave us with just the text terminals and nothing more.
I agree with them. In my opinion, it was better left as a background mystery that served as context for the cool worlds that players get to explore, and I think the humans-are-forerunner solution they arrived at at the end of Halo 3 is more elegant than the Forerunners-as-a-separate-race-with-a-weird-caste-system-and-oh-also-there's-ANOTHER-ancient-race-we-just-called-them-another-synonym-for-ancestor-oh-well-also-PS-the-flood-aren't-so-mysterious-anymore-I-guess thing that the Halo mythos has morphed into. There's something to be said for having these legendary figures stay, well...a legend when you're trying to make a grandiose world. I loved that about the Halo 3 terminals. You got a glimpse of these amazing things, but you sort of got to make up the surrounding elements on your own. Especially when there is so muchcontext needed to introduce a concept like that into the forefront.

Maybe it's just that I'm totally checked out on the Halo fiction after seeing it go in a direction I just don't really care for, I don't know. All I know is that the in-game and transmedia stories I wanted to see from Halo 4 are very, very different from what it ended up being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom