• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

infer. miles, you moron, you wouldn't INFER.

merry holiday and shit.
tumblr_mu8pxtUBV11rgpyeqo1_500.png

Eh, never edit.

When I was writing that, I was like I'm not using the correct word here, but couldn't think of it.
tumblr_mtl49d4uNO1rgpyeqo1_400.png

This one guy made his game in 2.5 months: http://ashenrift.com/

Not bad. A.I. needs some work. Game looks interesting.

I just got BF3. Noticed it says to DL 1.5Gbs for full hd experience or something.

Made me wonder if XB1 games including Halo 5 will start doing this either on disc or an update for 1080p.

Didn't CoD Ghost did the same for the ps4?

Mix

I just got BF3. Noticed it says to DL 1.5Gbs for full hd experience or something.

Made me wonder if XB1 games including Halo 5 will start doing this either on disc or an update for 1080p.

Looks pretty, but the gameplay is definitely meh, I'd say he has a while to go before I'd be interested in playing.

Booties

Banned
I liked the monks better than hoobastank, but I still think they should try and create new music that is just as epic. They should really start with making better looking environments and then filling them with music. The forerunner aesthetic from the original trilogy was better than any environment in halo 4.

I think it needs to be in, it felt empty when i realized Halo 4 did not have it. halo is one of the few franchises here the music matters,i wont notice it in most franchises but this one needs it. It was nice to at least have the credits in Halo 4 feature the Never Forget theme.

Booties

Banned
I think it needs to be in, it felt empty when i realized Halo 4 did not have it. halo is one of the few franchises here the music matters,i wont notice it in most franchises but this one needs it. It was nice to at least have the credits in Halo 4 feature the Never Forget theme.

It felt empty because the game was empty. Monks aren't the only thing to make it feel better. Orchestral music yes, monks not really.

Booties

Banned
Also i don't mean each soundtrack should be based on monks,i just mean the main theme[one track] with the main Halo theme music.

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah but weren't the monks used as the "Halo" theme? It was meant to show the religious importance of the rings to the covies. I think having them as a throwback or maybe how they used it in Halo 4 for a brief second was a good idea. Otherwise, they will seem out of place now that the covenant is pretty much disbanded. So, yes, a brief monk chant when like the Arbiter shows up, but other than that, naaaah.

I think they just need to fix the main music to give that feeling of awe. The industrial-techno music didn't' do it for me. The main screen music blows too. I can't stand it. Sometimes I just mute my headset until I get into matchmaking

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think they just need to fix the main music to give that feeling of awe. The industrial-techno music didn't' do it for me. The main screen music blows too. I can't stand it. Sometimes I just mute my headset until I get into matchmaking
Ugh yes. The vocalizing stuff was cool the first time but it became annoying so quickly.

Well it wouldn't do anything like BF3 did because all X1 games are fully installed and run off the hard drive.

Yea i didn't really mean to narrow it to monks, i just meant the halo theme in general. There are many different sounds that Marty used for the amazing soundtrack from the original trilogy.

I feel like Reach's soundtrack is really underappreciated. It's like all of the slow string parts from Halo 2's OST but refined!

Reconciled's chorus / trumpet riff of the main theme is also my favorite variation of the Halo theme in the franchise.

more Kazuma.

edit: my all time favorite non theme piece is actually a reorchestration of a Marty original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glnBYxrRyB4

Is Neil Davidge returning?

Also, I seriously do love that song. It made the Defiant Map Pack trailer the best thing ever.

I think Kazuma is great, i did enjoy some soundtracks from Halo 4. I just think if the main Halo theme from the original trilogy was in alongside those,it would be much better.

I liked both Kazuma's and Davidge's work, but I agree.. Halo without some of its most iconic themes is like a new Star Wars or Jurassic Park without theirs.

Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuSu6q7fuq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Xkl-du2vA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXcWxw7UHME

Of course monks should return. Now I'm not saying it needs to be the defining part of the score, but there was NO REASON that we got the wailing in Halo 4 at the menus as opposed to the monks.

Sure games without it have worked, look at Reach, but as this was a game about Chief, and actually looks at the Forerunner lore, Librarian, Didact it would have been nice. Hell, they even developed the monks for the Halo 4 E3 2011 trailer and never really used it again.

As soon as you boot up the game and hear them it's instant feels.

Fuchsdh

So who's getting Halo Spartan Assault?

For the Bone? For the 360?

360 for me.

So I wouldn't be in the wrong if I switched on easy and just followed the story? Cool.

Yeah I play on Easy after I got all the achievements. I'm not playing Bioshock for the gripping gameplay.

Those sections were cool, but every other part of the combat was fairly boring to me and more of a means to an end for moving from place to place. I love Bioshock, and I really enjoyed Infinite, but probably not because of the combat. It felt like a step down from the previous game to me. After sitting on it for a few months, I think I really just liked the setting and the characters. The story was good, but I had to read breakdowns on the Internet before I understood just what was going on by the end of it.

I guess when I think sandbox, I inevitably compare it to Halo at it's best. Something like the Scarab encounters in Halo 3, or the famous brute packs in Crow's Nest. The whole verticality and swinging around from space to space was really, really cool. But there were only a small handful of times that I felt they really nailed it in-game. The combat itself is kinda distilled, almost all the enemies are just bullet sponges and have very little feedback, if any, and most of the weapons work more or less the same. The powers are fun to use, but they didn't really feel all that necessary, and I wish they would have played up elemental weaknesses or one-two-type combos more. The AI was functional, but ultimately forgettable, even on the higher difficulties :/

Infinite exceeded my expectations by not being horrible, and actually being really enjoyable, but in a few years time, if I decide to go and play through it, I won't be doing it for the sandbox combat, it will probably be for the story and worldart.

This nails my thoughts. I play Bioshock and I see places where I wish Halo would improve or make some leaps in terms of setting and story, but from a gameplay standpoint it makes me appreciate the Halo sandbox in all the games far more.

As for the setting, Columbia fell apart for me the same way Rapture did where everything became a bullet sponge rather than more difficult encounters or new enemy types. Their character designs also took a nosedive as wellas they got more armored and generic.

The monks should return. As should Never Forget. Whatever happens that woman howling in the beginning of the game needs to go.

117 is a great addition though.

Never Forget is in the credits for Halo 4, you know. And for my money it's actually the best rendition of the piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom