• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
hey plywood, tumblr gifs!
1386487301679etss6.gif

I just met Steelyuhas IRL. he's so tall and dreamy.
James Deen-esque, so I've heard.

Fuchsdh

Nice, but I'm one of the few that actually likes the H4 ost.

I sort of hated on it a lot as well, but my opinion has changed a bit after getting Vol 2. I think its implementation and mixing in the game was unfortunately rather poor and that impacted my opinions of the actual music. In a lot of ways I prefer the ambient, techno incidental music to a lot of Marty's work, but I think its major themes were a bit weaker.

Honestly though it's sort of splitting hairs. Halo has overall some of the straight-up best music of any video game series, and I'm including Rippy's work on Halo Wars and Salta's Spartan Assault stuff in that umbrella.

Bringing back the monks a bit more and keeping some of the traditional sounds for when it counts would go a long way to helping keep some music continuity. And just please no more Star Wars ripoffs (looking at you, "Composer" opening cutscene...)

Good GTAO games, Daedalos. That ending was amazing. We:

- Crashed a helicopter into a player's super car and blew it up
- Crashed a cargobob into at least two other players, cars and a firetruck
- Immediately double-teamed him on spawn with only fisticuffs
- While he was after Daedalos, I finished him off with a sucker punch.

halo

I sort of hated on it a lot as well, but my opinion has changed a bit after getting Vol 2. I think its implementation and mixing in the game was unfortunately rather poor and that impacted my opinions of the actual music. In a lot of ways I prefer the ambient, techno incidental music to a lot of Marty's work, but I think its major themes were a bit weaker.

Honestly though it's sort of splitting hairs. Halo has overall some of the straight-up best music of any video game series, and I'm including Rippy's work on Halo Wars and Salta's Spartan Assault stuff in that umbrella.

Bringing back the monks a bit more and keeping some of the traditional sounds for when it counts would go a long way to helping keep some music continuity. And just please no more Star Wars ripoffs (looking at you, "Composer" opening cutscene...)

I used to think I hated the music, but now I think I just hate the menu music.
BWWWAAAA BBWAAAAA BBWWAAAAA

Of course, I grew to hate the menu music in every other live Halo game since I generally only hear it when I'm stuck waiting to get into a game for whatever reason.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Good GTAO games, Daedalos. That ending was amazing. We:

- Crashed a helicopter into a player's super car and blew it up
- Crashed a cargobob into at least two other players, cars and a firetruck
- Immediately double-teamed him on spawn with only fisticuffs
- While he was after Daedalos, I finished him off with a sucker punch.

halo

Yeah, that was great. It would have been better if I could call Pegasus for both the Cargobob and the Buzzard at the same time, so we could take down that one guy in the Buzzard.

Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcbM9Pm7yOQ

Problem is, the soundtrack is good and sounds good when you hear it. How it's implemented in the game is another factor.

I played the H4 campaign as much as Reach, and I couldn't for the life of me tell you what parts of the H4 soundtrack are played at parts, when etc.

Aside from the Death Star Tench run, and the music during the credits. That's probably all I could pick out.

Listen to that music above from Reach, it's not even the best piece but it was used to well at parts of the game, I could tell you exactly where, or what was going on.

Karl2177

Today's Halo activities consist of setting up profiles in Halo 2 Vista that are at the checkpoint closest to each of the skulls. Envy and Sputnik are first(even though Sputnik is right at the beginning).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Of course, I grew to hate the menu music in every other live Halo game since I generally only hear it when I'm stuck waiting to get into a game for whatever reason.

Xbox, snap neogaf/Seahawks game/Skype etc. While matchmaking.

aww yiss.

i keep meaning to snap blu ray and ultraviolet version of Lawrence of Arabia to compare iq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuSu6q7fuq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Xkl-du2vA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXcWxw7UHME

Of course monks should return. Now I'm not saying it needs to be the defining part of the score, but there was NO REASON that we got the wailing in Halo 4 at the menus as opposed to the monks.

Sure games without it have worked, look at Reach, but as this was a game about Chief, and actually looks at the Forerunner lore, Librarian, Didact it would have been nice. Hell, they even developed the monks for the Halo 4 E3 2011 trailer and never really used it again.

As soon as you boot up the game and hear them it's instant feels.

Problem is, the soundtrack is good and sounds good when you hear it. How it's implemented in the game is another factor.

I played the H4 campaign as much as Reach, and I couldn't for the life of me tell you what parts of the H4 soundtrack are played at parts, when etc.

Aside from the Death Star Tench run, and the music during the credits. That's probably all I could pick out.

Listen to that music above from Reach, it's not even the best piece but it was used to well at parts of the game, I could tell you exactly where, or what was going on.

Honestly, I loved every Halo OST. So many good tracks.

aww yiss.

i keep meaning to snap blu ray and ultraviolet version of Lawrence of Arabia to compare iq

You probably can't comment on this, but any idea as to when we'll be able to snap Skype video?? I was really looking forward to that ;\

Mistel

Banned

Halo 4 menu music is dire I mute the game when it's on an under sold menu track is denfinatly reach or ODST.

I think the only good parts are kazuma work in the halo 4 ost their consistently good as well.

Yeah, that was great. It would have been better if I could call Pegasus for both the Cargobob and the Buzzard at the same time, so we could take down that one guy in the Buzzard.

I actually backed out to buy GTAllards so I own a Cargobob now. And a Vacca! It's a good thing GTAO is so damn fun to me, because it's the first game I've played where I've been legitimately so bad / unfocused that I've had to do microtransactions to keep the fun going.

That start menu to freeze glitch was bizarre, too. This guy named Apollo had been killing me for ages, but when I was rendered immobile I was actually immune to contact damage! He still headshot me, but he rammed me like thrice with his chrome piece of shit and completely braked like you would hitting a tree.

Maybe it's like the statue / Boot Suit from Mario and I can control it with enough practice.

Stinkles

I actually backed out to buy GTAllards so I own a Cargobob now. And a Vacca! It's a good thing GTAO is so damn fun to me, because it's the first game I've played where I've been legitimately so bad / unfocused that I've had to do microtransactions to keep the fun going.

That start menu to freeze glitch was bizarre, too. This guy named Apollo had been killing me for ages, but when I was rendered immobile I was actually immune to contact damage! He still headshot me, but he rammed me like thrice with his chrome piece of shit and completely braked like you would hitting a tree.

Maybe it's like the statue / Boot Suit from Mario and I can control it with enough practice.

I went and got the O'Connor stair car from the airport to live out a self branded Arrested Development crime fantasy.

Madness

aww yiss.

Is it the restored version? The image quality much better than the HDNet broadcast. A guy named Xylon who does a lot of reviews and comparison 'pix' on avsforum, started his own blog. He had the comparison of the different versions up, but it seems to be down right now.

I've never seen any Ultraviolet release even approach the bit rate or quality of a BD release though.

Also, rest in peace Peter O'Toole.

more Kazuma.

edit: my all time favorite non theme piece is actually a reorchestration of a Marty original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glnBYxrRyB4

Anyone who likes the soundtracks for the original Trilogy should check out the Legends soundtrack. It's freaking great. I would have that style for Halo 5 rather than the Metroidness of Halo 4 (as good as the music was, it didn't feel all that Halo to me).

I mean. Got damn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh9lBrXjrAM&list=PL48A6288F943EF294

When the strings play in there, it's sooo good. I picture myself in an underwater capsule gondola thing every time.

And this remixed Truth and Reconciliation suite is pure Halo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_9vPJi-cGk Dem woodwinds.

God tier track.

I went and got the O'Connor stair car from the airport to live out a self branded Arrested Development crime fantasy.

I haven't nailed down my "signature" car yet, but pretty much all of mine are midnight / spinnaker purple with white accents.

Realistically speaking (but ignoring gameplay implementation, for example being unable to see black armor in shadows) would it be a stretch to see some more specific finishes next-gen?

I think they should bring it back, without a doubt. When you think of Halo, what's the first theme/song people think of? With so many changes taking place, I think it would be beneficial for Halo to tap into its roots since we haven't really had monks in a long time.
As much as I would like to hear the main theme in Halo 5, I don't believe it's really necessary if the music they do create fits the series and the game, and is well implemented. Remember that Ocarina of Time didn't feature the main Zelda theme and that's a complete non issue; that soundtrack has some of the most memorable tracks in all of gaming.

As much as I would like to hear the main theme in Halo 5, I don't believe it's really necessary if the music they do create fits the series and the game, and is well implemented. Remember that Ocarina of Time didn't feature the main Zelda theme and that's a complete non issue; that soundtrack has some of the most memorable tracks in all of gaming.

Maybe, but...
MM overworld > OoT overworld

Halo needs monks, and bombass like Reach imo.

FYC

Banned
For some reason I can't recall hearing it in the campaign, but when Faithless started playing in one of the later Spartan Ops missions I was blown away. Probably my favorite H4 track.

aww yiss.

Would be cool in Halo 5 to use the Global Positioning feature in the Waypoint App and Snap it to your Halo 5 Matchmaking.

For some reason I can't recall hearing it in the campaign, but when Faithless started playing in one of the later Spartan Ops missions I was blown away. Probably my favorite H4 track.

I'll give Halo 4's soundtrack as most textured and detailed. Davidge is on a whole other level than Marty when it comes to that, but it still just doesn't remind me of Halo when I hear the music. That's probably because the soundtrack sounds so much better outside of the game for whatever reason.

Couldn't you do kill confirmed?

That's what I'm doing.

Enabling the kill confirmed option will put a navpoint over each skull on the map.

I added a "Ball Physics" option which lets you choose between static and non static. While on static most of the time they'll stay floating in midair which is a pretty cool effect.

wwm0nkey

I think Fuschd used some of them for the last customs.

I also updated VIP today to support One Sided VIP ;)

Will probably get a one month and play some of them then.

Oh also off-topic, but if anyone cares MurderMiners got its last update on 360 which includes vehicles. PC version is 100% happening on Steam now too.

bidguy

Banned
I'll give Halo 4's soundtrack as most textured and detailed. Davidge is on a whole other level than Marty when it comes to that, but it still just doesn't remind me of Halo when I hear the music. That's probably because the soundtrack sounds so much better outside of the game for whatever reason.

because the music is way too quiet ingame and you cant even change the volume in the options

Nebula

because the music is way too quiet ingame and you cant even change the volume in the options

If 343 still doesn't give us sound options (helps with YouTube videos/Streaming and general tweaking for better settings for your equipment/environment) I'll stare at them disapprovingly.

My Halo haul so far this Xmas:

DeskMantis2.jpg

Well, sorta. I bought the Mantis for my cousin's son but I couldn't resist taking it for myself. He will be getting the Wraith instead (I wisely bought two of them this time). Seriously, the Mantis is super badass. This is Stinkle's fault.

This camera's super crappy but I did get some interesting results using Photoshop. A shame it's too late to send out cards:

Mantis2.jpg

Well on cragslist I saw this for $25 or OBO and I debating on buying this..
B3660AC2-340B-45D5-817D-8C7FFF058665.jpg

Deaux it

daedalius

I really enjoy listening to both parts of the H4 OST when I am working and such, but I too couldn't really pick out many moments in the campaign that the music fit with.

Whereas with the Reach soundtrack, I can confidently say I know what was happening in game during the music points.

Got character design work piled on this weekend since one of my client's other artists flaked out, oh well more $$$ for me :) Maybe I'll pop on the H4 OST to work to.

I will never understand the lack of options in Halo games after years of fans begging for them.

Oh also off-topic, but if anyone cares MurderMiners got its last update on 360 which includes vehicles. PC version is 100% happening on Steam now too.

Nicee, sounds good. Definitely going to check that out and I hope we see a MM2 for the Xbox One.

I feel like Reach had the best Elites to fight. I love that shield pop animation on the darker levels.

CE/Reach Elites were by far the best. In Halo 4 they would just charge at you with the Sword and literally stand still.

belushy

Banned

Last update? And did they find a PC dev or are they switching over to PC themselves?

edit: The two vehicles are pretty neat.

Mistel

Banned
CE/Reach Elites were by far the best. In Halo 4 they would just charge at you with the Sword and literally stand still.

What's up with them standing still is it a targeting error or something? It's like they forget you are there.

That's just because you have those creepy pillows on your mind all the time.

No I don't other stuff instead (some of it's in my post history), how does anyone get gratification from a pillow?

Stinkles

If 343 still doesn't give us sound options (helps with YouTube videos/Streaming and general tweaking for better settings for your equipment/environment) I'll stare at them disapprovingly.

monster!

our audio engine for Xbox one is a thing of beautiful terrible power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom