• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Yeah I obviously meant the latter part of today... :)

Also,

AnXAkPDCAAAVfkJ.jpg:medium

Wat (logging into Waypoint terminal nao)

Edit 2: vvvv Use

It's from the beginning of the Halo 4 vidoc. Can't get the terminal to load on waypoint's site either.

Dude, good catch.. I was just using the terminal app the other day and it worked fine.. On top of that I swear the loading thing looked different then, and while I can't get it to load fully, it seems like it changed. Something tells me we may indeed get some info via the terminal input down the line.

lol. Don't forget the biggest gaming convention...

Definitely nothing new but "343 Industries: Halo 4 is a “Reboot” Not a “Reset”"
Yup, basically what we read before, but still a nice read. Im really excited to see more from the game.

Homeboyd

Dude, good catch.. I was just using the terminal app the other day and it worked fine.. On top of that I swear the loading thing looked different then, and while I can't get it to load fully, it seems like it changed. Something tells me we may indeed get some info via the terminal input down the line.
This guy found it. And yeah, that would be a great way to drop hidden bits of info.

Wonder if an ARG will happen?

Edit: Karl, no it hasn't worked for me tonight either.

Just curious if anyone can load the terminal page on the site? Mine just shows a looping menu bar.

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/Terminal
Nope, I can't either and I got it to work a few days ago.
Edit* I can get it to work on the 360 though, so lemme try some different combos.. Any better pictures of the symbols?

This guy found it. And yeah, that would be a great way to drop hidden bits of info.

Wonder if an ARG will happen?

Edit: Karl, no it hasn't worked for me tonight either.

Yup, I always thought it was very complex for something just created for anniversary, plus the fact it accepted 10 symbols when anniversary only used 5 struck me as odd.

Well, tbh, none of the symbols in the screencap look like what the terminal allows you to input, so I dunno what to try from here.

4X1LN.png

Yeah, I don't see these symbols on the terminal input thingy, so I think they are unrelated. That said, I still think the terminal thing will eventually be relevant, even if it is to view our terminals, etc. from Halo 4 and beyond.

senador

Banned
Default Shep is the best Shep. I'm still finishing up my ME2 replay. Almost done with Lair of the Shadow Broker. Holy shit is it good. No ME3 spoilers in here please.

What do you guys think about adding in the ability to counter a Melee attack that punishes the aggressor?

I think it would be an awesome way to solve the double best down issue, especially seeing how sprint is returning.
Plus I don't think Melee should be a primary tactic in a FPS, I think it should be a last resort.

It could simply cause them to take the damage and be pushed back, but there are also other creative ways to "punish" them.
Maybe you twist them, changing their direction and causing disorientation.
Or I think it would be really cool if you could disarm them and throw their weaponon the ground.

I've always thought CQC was a bit unexplored in the halo franchise, especially since the Spartans are trained in martial arts?
They wouldn't jump around and hit an enemy with the butt of their weapon...

Those suggestions are all really short affairs that would take less time to end the encounter than the CQC situations of recent Halo games.

Decided to do a side-by-side comparison of Chief and the Spartan IV's.

http://i.minus.com/ibg3QXLYClAsuT.jpg

Also Barrow Roll, I didn't see any other helmets mang.
Hot. Still not a fan of that helmet but everything else about the Spartan IVs looks awesome. Surprisingly, almost every piece of their armor is different from Chief's.

Stupid stuff like this for me:
http://i.imgur.com/XjMAI.jpg
For what it's worth, that particular attachment didn't make it to the final game. Still, I get what you're saying.

Take the armor into consideration.

If you remove their armor, the one on the left looks like a jeans model. The one on the right looks like a super soldier that can flip tanks.
Agree 100%.

I dig default Noble Six's appearance. Well, the VGA trailer version with the UA attachment and the FJ/Para knees. The concept art for Reach Spartans is awesome though.

What do you guys think about adding in the ability to counter a Melee attack that punishes the aggressor?

I think it would be an awesome way to solve the double best down issue, especially seeing how sprint is returning.
Plus I don't think Melee should be a primary tactic in a FPS, I think it should be a last resort.

It could simply cause them to take the damage and be pushed back, but there are also other creative ways to "punish" them.
Or I think it would be really cool if you could disarm them and throw their weaponon the ground.

I've always thought CQC was a bit unexplored in the halo franchise, especially since the Spartans are trained in martial arts?

Those suggestions are all really short affairs that would take less time to end the encounter than the CQC situations of recent Halo games.

3 melee's to kill instead of 2 fixes pretty much all the major issues with melee, and melee with sprint.

I am curious to see what they do with CQC, I do agree that it is an area of Halo that has always felt a little underdeveloped.

3 melee's to kill instead of 2 fixes pretty much all the major issues with melee, and melee with sprint.

I am curious to see what they do with CQC, I do agree that it is an area of Halo that has always felt a little underdeveloped.

Well yes and no.

Nerfing Melee that much makes it a less viable option to kill someone, but you might as well just remove the feature entirely, as it wouldn't stop people from actually trying to Melee sprint.
The triple beatdowners would probably still win sometimes, and therefore they will keep trying it.
Especially in the games containing less skilled players..

Allowing people to counter a Melee attack makes it a risk/reward option and would make it a last resort to get that close to someone face to face.

Redford

aka Cabbie

I wouldn't normally agree with something like this after the whole sword-block issue, but that one in particular is just too cool. I mean, it's technically not gimping any weapon, which was the problem with SB. Only problems with it are that 1) plenty of people just going for a normal, legit melee would get screwed and 2) people who rush-melee probably wouldn't give less of a shit if they lost their weapon in exchange for a kill.

If however it there were no prompt - no button or QTE displayed on the HUD - and it only worked after sprint/second melee attempt, I might be okay with it.

As long as it's not a drawn out, elaborate animation like assassinations; even just hitting their gun to the side and countering with a melee of your own would be really fun. If CQC is going to be ruined by sprint, might as well add more depth to it.

Really like your thinking though. :)

Edit: also, it should only be possible when directly facing your attacker.

I wouldn't normally agree with something like this after the whole sword-block issue, but that one in particular is just too cool. Only problems with it are that 1) plenty of people just going for a normal, legit melee would get screwed and 2) people who rush-melee would probably couldn't give less of a shit if they lost their weapon in exchange for a kill.

If however it there were no prompt - no button or QTE displayed on the HUD - and it only worked after sprint/second melee attempt, I might be okay with it.

As long as it's not a drawn out, elaborate animation like assassinations; even just hitting their gun to the side and countering with a melee of your own would be really fun. If CQC is going to be ruined by sprint, might as well add more depth to it.

Really like your thinking though. :)

Yeah the encouters have to be quick or you end up punishing the spartan countering by making him vulnerable!

The sword block is a whole separate issue because, it was not the proper way to balance using sprint and sword
The sword is a power weapon designed for Melee combat. In CQC, the sword carrier should win against a normal spartan Melee.
Just another design flaw of reach, but that's what happens when you create such a diverse sandbox for your game that has massive scale as well.. It is extremely hard to balance!
Leads to a whole different discussion ;)

Hot. Still not a fan of that helmet but everything else about the Spartan IVs looks awesome. Surprisingly, almost every piece of their armor is different from Chief's.

For what it's worth, that particular attachment didn't make it to the final game. Still, I get what you're saying.

Agree 100%.

I dig default Noble Six's appearance. Well, the VGA trailer version with the UA attachment and the FJ/Para knees. The concept art for Reach Spartans is awesome though.

The Concept art for the spartans always looks great its typically why i grab the art books.

Click to make bigger

The Art oh Halo 3 also has some great ones but i cant find any pics of it online.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Yeah, I think that Reach was enough of a guinea pig for all sorts of
horrible
melee ideas that H4 can't possibly make similar mistakes in the aftermath of the rage. So something like this would at least be an educated addition.

I would be opposed to any sort of Assassin's Creed type disarm other than what you're describing though, I'm sure you'd agree. :p
-_-... Just thinking about the chasing is making me feel awful about sprint in this game...

The Concept art for the spartans always looks great its typically why i grab the art books.

The Art oh Halo 3 also has some great ones but i cant find any pics of it online.

Middle and right MK VI's look awesome.

Yeah, I think that Reach was enough of a guinea pig for all sorts of
horrible
melee ideas that H4 can't possibly make similar mistakes in the aftermath of the rage. So something like this would at least be an educated addition.

I would be opposed to any sort of Assassin's Creed type disarm other than what you're describing.

-_-... Just thinking about the chasing is making me feel awful about sprint in this game...

No assassin creed disarms!
That would be awful if you could kill people with one button!

I might scan some images from the art of halo 3 later, the book is out of print now and it seems no one has archived it in digital format :(

TheOddOne

Elite parkour.

Also, anyone remember this "leak" from back in June last year? The OP was banned but you can see it in a quote on the third post of page 3. Re-reading and seeing how close some of the things he mentions is pretty insane. Could be all coincidence, and inb4Frankie"no" but have a look for yourself:

(I highlighted a few points to take note of. Remember, this was posted in June of last year)

[Epic post]
Even if this is all fake, my god does it sound juicy. That's like the most ambitious game ever.

About the terminal decode device: When people translated the symbols into letters, people typed specific Halo-names etc.. The page reacted to words like SpartanIV, MasterChief etc. It was already sure back then that the terminal page will have a bigger meaning. One thing will be as "storage" for the terminals to watch them on PC or unlock more content like the extra terminal.

wwm0nkey

About the terminal decode device: When people translated the symbols into letters, people typed specific Halo-names etc.. The page reacted to words like SpartanIV, MasterChief etc. It was already sure back then that the terminal page will have a bigger meaning. One thing will be as "storage" for the terminals to watch them on PC or unlock more content like the extra terminal.

I wonder if they will ever do anything for the ??? page.

monome

Elite parkour.

Posted by: Shadow 13th
. Players will experience an all new story and introduce a new roster of enemies and weapons to the Halo experience. Set against the top secret Forerunner planetoid known to ONI as Sigma 7, players will encounter a dark new foe and unravel more of the mysteries behind the forerunners and the Office of Naval Intelligence.

Players will be offered an unprecedented level of customization and a narrative experience never before seen in a first person shooter. On a technical level Halo 4 pushes the boundaries of the action genre by incorporating larger battlefields than ever before and players will experience conflicts that seamlessly span land, sea and space.

Halo 4 will also feature the revolutionary new Arsenal Improvisation Mechanics that allow for menu-free, creative customization of weapons and vehicles in the heat of combat. Players will take their fight to a new level by dynamically tailoring their weapons and vehicles to suit any situations or enemies."

At the moment it seems 343 are focusing on the new and improved story and weapons system (of which the new AIM mechanic is only mysteriously alluded to) but there was some video shown that fills in some of the gaps. Halo 4 is set on a Forerunner planet that has an inner and outer surface that provides two distinct styles. The outside is very industrial and features a wide range of hostile Forerunner tech and AI. The video showed space combat here. The inside of the planetoid is hollow and is sectioned off in to many tiers/bands (almost resembling Halo rings) that feature a myriad of natural environments not only resembling earth's but many other alien terrains. The video featured combat across a multitude of environments from space to mountains, plains and oceans. Presumably, ONI had been top secretly researching the planet for some. There are UNSC forces on the planet but they look really degraded and disorganized and it was implied that they may be divided into factions and warring with each other. At one point we see a heavily modified warthog that has had the wheels replaced two kind of anti gravity devices. At another point the Chief is clearly sprinting which possibly implies a return of armor abilities. There was no sign of the Flood or the Covenant but at the very end of the trailer the 'dark new threat' was hinted at. The video ends with the Chief standing at a dark cave entrance and from within can be heard some menacing gurgling and grunting. Cortana says "They're coming back ... and there's a LOT more of them this time", the Master chief then readies a new weapon that looks like a cross between a rocket launcher and a Needler and it focuses on his helmet and visor and a number of strange digital effects ripple across his visor then the videos ends.

Cheers - Shadow

Even though Frankie keeps telling us how fake it is, you have to give the guy somes props on his fan fiction skills.

What he says makes PERFECT sense from reading the books and 343i comments on taking the franchise to new places and pushing the enveloppe technically (modern HALO) and story wisse.

Halo 4 takes place 5 years after Glasslands, so it's been 5 years the Infinity is pretty much operationnal, 5 years Spartan IVs have been in active duty, 5 years since UNSC have had access to a forunner planetoid, 5 years they have had Covie Engineers building stuff for them, 5 years Halsey has pumped her unfathomable expertise in UNSC secret tech etc...

Which makes it possible they've know for SIGMA 7 (name is cool) wether through data found where Halsey and co were stucked, or through space exploration with the Infinity.

Humanity's brotherly struggle is amply alluded, and the ONI being dark assholes too. It is not far fetched to think shit can hit the fan when ONI and UNSC's plans don't align.

Having large opens spaces, varied locations and outer/inner world exploration as well as space combat is a staple of Halo fiction too.

Now 343i said big, juicy changes were coming. Since Glasslands clearly states Humanity is not content on having been wiped out because they were technically inferior it is not far fetched to think they've put crazy ressources to build new weaponry and vehicles.
That the advances are made thanks to breaktrhoughs in Forerunner understanding largely point to adapting their tech which comprises lot of transforming robots and structures. AND SEE THAT NEW LOGO.

Thus "evolving" weaponry and vehicules makes sense and it also very cool whether as a story element or gameplay thing.

When Halo 4 releases, you will have had shooter games with classes, parkour, weapon cusomization, perks, real time building, exploration, story choices, emotionnal dimensions, even story driven MP ; 343i cannot ignore this since they have to be able to sell consoles and give playersa reason to look forward to XBOX720 with this game.

JonCha

Honestly most Halo 2 players don't compete anymore, they just want Halo 3 again hence them getting The Pit. I do like the idea of sprint in general, I think bloom played a big part of why sprint was hated because you couldn't finish of the person with it being random.

Partly, yeah. I think melee (as I've said many a time) not being nerfed also didn't help. I was only playing yesterday after a long hiatus and players were trying to double beatdown me.

Incidentally, I played Halo 3 yesterday and 5000 players were online. That's pretty impressive.

When Halo 4 releases, you will have had shooter games with classes, parkour, weapon cusomization, perks, real time building, exploration, story choices, emotionnal dimensions, even story driven MP ; 343i cannot ignore this since they have to be able to sell consoles and give playersa reason to look forward to XBOX720 with this game.

What? Its not 343i's job to do ANY of that. The 360 has sold 66 million units and has 40 million Call of Duty Xbox Live Players, The number of people who will buy a console for Halo 4 will be minimal and that's being generous if your interested in Halo you have an xbox by now.

They also dont need to be making gamers look forward to the Xbox 720/Durango thats microsoft's job whenever the console is annouced, I dont even understand how Halo 4 could make people want a new console. The next xbox will sell a shed load like the 360 did and Halo 5/6/ODST2/H2:A/ whatever may also push a few units with people playing "Catch up" I know many didnt buy a 360 till Halo 3 for example.

Parkour really wont work well in a Halo game and neither would TF2 Style classes (COD style classes/loadouts might fair a bit better but its a huge change from any halo game previously) I dont know what "real time building" is. "Story Choices" isnt a good idea either, this isnt mass effect and the rest of it with the exception of a Multiplayer with a storyline is what halo already has.

However i feel people are jumping on the MP with a Story thing about too strongly. IMO Its not like its going to be a separate campaign or anything just a little bit of info saying that your playing out training simulations testing new equipment and weapons and armour in a live fire battlefield environment while simultaneously the spartan IV's are being put to the test.

TheOddOne

What? Its not 343i's job to do ANY of that. The 360 has sold 66 million units and has 40 million Call of Duty Xbox Live Players, The number of people who will buy a console for Halo 4 will be minimal and that's being generous if your interested in Halo you have an xbox by now.

They also dont need to be making gamers look forward to the Xbox 720/Durango thats microsoft's job whenever the console is annouced, I dont even understand how Halo 4 could make people want a new console. The next xbox will sell a shed load like the 360 did and Halo 5/6/ODST2/H2:A/ whatever may also push a few units with people playing "Catch up" I know many didnt buy a 360 till Halo 3 for example.
I agree with everything you said. TheOddOne liked this post.

Furthermore making great and addictive games sell consoles, namesake doesn't really push hardware these days. Yes, Call of Duty is addictive.

monome

The only reason I came to XBOX360 is Halo/Gears, and the only reason I stayed is Halo MP. I could have done with PS3/PC because it's my 10th XBOX360 and I need a PC anyway.

So MS builds an entire studio made of top talents because they like me and want me to play good games. How nice. I thought they wanted to build something I could not resist and would entice me into gaming on XBOX because I cannot do without Halo.
Halo 5 on Durango makes me look forward to having the new console, even though it won't be revealed during the console's launch and I will, of course, buy it nonetheless on day 1 because it's Halo's home.

Parkour really wont work well in a Halo game and neither would TF2 Style classes (COD style classes/loadouts might fair a bit better but its a huge change from any halo game previously) I dont know what "real time building" is. "Story Choices" isnt a good idea either, this isnt mass effect and the rest of it with the exception of a Multiplayer with a storyline is what halo already has.
I have no idea what's going on and did not mean to say all those elements will be implemented, just they exist already are used a marketing points to distract players from the already established franchises. The real time building refers to Starhawk.
Bioshock Infinite will have an emotionnal story between two characters (Chief/Cortana).
Parkour was stated because if sprint or else is not an option it may have consequences on the gameplay, and I like modern games that offer great animations when you move.

However i feel people are jumping on the MP with a Story thing about too strongly. IMO Its not like its going to be a separate campaign or anything just a little bit of info saying that your playing out training simulations testing new equipment and weapons and armour in a live fire battlefield environment while simultaneously the spartan IV's are being put to the test.

Yup, that's the best guess. I just like my wild speculation, and the "test" story does not, in my opinion, make for a smart way to implement story in MP nor evolve the story (like I thought was implied in the Kiki interview).

Hey, it's just fun times ahead anyway, and I got ME3 early (in Euroland) and the game is ok so far (although I regret ME1's music so much but at least the game is not as bro as I feared).

The only reason I came to XBOX360 is Halo/Gears, and the only reason I stayed is Halo MP. I could have done with PS3/PC because it's my 10th XBOX360 and I need a PC anyway.

Thats your reason and many others have many different reasons, Objectively XBox live is the best online experience on a console, it trumps PSN in terms of features its more reliable and with 40 million accounts its pretty successful, However the vast majority of players are playing Call of Duty. Call of Duty Next Gen will push console sales but again it wont be needed the bigger/better looking games and hype will sell the Xbox 720

So MS builds an entire studio made of top talents because they like me and want me to play good games. How nice. I thought they wanted to build something I could not resist and would entice me into gaming on XBOX because I cannot do without Halo.

No MS build an entire studio of top talent because they want to make a shitload of profit from a game and they want to see a franchise continue because its profitable (not only in games but pretty much every form of media)

Games sell consoles this is common sense but they dont build Halo with shipping consoles in mind they build the experience parallel Games + Console Sales = Maximum Profit. Exclusives sell consoles but its not the exclusives job to sell a console its just one of the effects the game has.

Hey, it's just fun times ahead anyway, and I got ME3 early (in Euroland) and the game is ok so far (although I regret ME1's music so much but at least the game is not as bro as I feared).

Just got my "dispatched" email while writing this post, ME3 CE and SF X T CE.

NO MASS EFFECT 3 SPOILERS ANYONE!!!

I see disappointment in your future.

Oh FFS really? GTFO with this shit

How big of a deal was boosting to you guys in Halo 3?

Not a deal at all? The vast majority of 50's for sale in Halo 3 were made in Doubles. Probably followed by MLG owing to its covetousness. Anyway, I imagine the misguided folks who actually paid for 50's didn't actually play on them in the playlist the tag was a 50 in; they wouldn't have stayed 50 for long, obviously. They're not skewing trueskill to any relevent degree.

People who don't want 1-50 because of cheaters are ludicrous beings. Hey guys, let's scrap the Olympics because of the roiders! Then the dirty cheaters won't be able to cheat! And roid dealers will be out of business! We've solved the problem of Olympic cheats!

Also, no podiums. I don't want to know that someone is better than me. Hide those golds.

Me too, but we can only hope...

I think they'll be teasing out via text and maybe screenshots over the next few weeks. There will indefinitely be something at E3, but that's a while away. Any other events, apart from GDC coming soon?
You know people ask this question a lot... But

PAX East (April), E3, GamesCom(August), PAX Prime (End of August).

E3 will have something. GamesCom will have something too. Definitely MP. The press is going to get the PAX Prime stuff to see with an Embargo of course.(That's my guess). PAX Prime will have a Halo 4 Panel. (Damn I want to be there this year too)

TheOddOne

I really don't see where this is going, but I'll chime in regardless. I think MS created the studio, because of different factors.

a) They could have given the job to an independent developer. In short term that makes sense — they get a game and a partner. Long term though the outlook isn't good, the developer is still independent. They can get other jobs offered, expecially with the pedegree that they worked on Halo. Furthermore you gotta question how long the independent developer is gonna want to work on Halo. It's harsh to say, but some independent developers just want the contract — the game and quality comes later.

b) Creating a new studio is costly and to some degree ineffective. You have to find people and make them work together. Furthermore giving them one of the biggest IP's in the industry is kind of crazy. Then again, when hiring people they know what they are working on and why the studio was set up. Short term and long term this makes sense — the studio is theirs, games will come out on in steady pace and they can house different teams within the studio (marketing, PR, development). Huge investment, but the payoff will (I hope) be bigger.

I think those factors played a big part in the creation of 343 Industries.

monome

Ok, I don't want to joust for jousting's sake but :

Call of Duty Next Gen will push console sales but again it wont be needed the bigger/better looking games and hype will sell the Xbox 720.
No MS build an entire studio of top talent because they want to make a shitload of profit from a game and they want to see a franchise continue because its profitable (not only in games but pretty much every form of media)

I'm pretty sure MS has love/hate relationship with COD because the franchise can move to any plateform and thus wants Halo to stay relevant (aka make it big) instead of judging Halo by its profits merits.
That Halo sells on any medium is the reason why we got a top notch team and great writers (still waiting for a good Halo comics...).

Games sell consoles this is common sense but they dont build Halo with shipping consoles in mind they build the experience parallel Games + Console Sales = Maximum Profit. Exclusives sell consoles but its not the exclusives job to sell a console its just one of the effects the game has.

HALO, FORZA and XBOXLIVE are to MS, what MARIO, ZELDA and childhood memories are to Nintendo.
When MS won't have IPs people crave, they will get fucked by Apple or STEAM or even SONY/Nintendo.

NO MASS EFFECT 3 SPOILERS ANYONE!!!

Hope you kept your saves people.
THERE IS
SEX AND A LOT OF SHOOTING

Fracas

#fuckonami
However, it is 99% horseshit and 1% speculation. A deliberate lie. Who does that and to what end? Efame?

Don't go breaking my heart...
Had to believe in something. That "leaked info" was interesting at least. Although I can't really imagine a cross between a needler and a rocket launcher. That, and the enemies described there sound more like basic, feral creatures, which wouldn't really fit in Halo.

THERE IS
SEX AND A LOT OF SHOOTING

Now the whole game is ruined for me...:(

monome

However, it is 99% horseshit and 1% speculation. A deliberate lie. Who does that and to what end? Efame?

I want MOAR, even it comes comes in the form of e-bullshit.
Anyway if customisation with effects is just the tip of the iceberg concerning changes, I'm gonna start to believe you have two lives to make so many posts and so many changes at the same time.

I really don't see where this is going.

Nowhere, but I'm trying to wrap my mind around 343i goals. Bungie is a beast full of love yet willing to conquer the world. That's a paradox, but a paradox that has given rise to Halo.
As far as 343i is concerned I would like to understand what the hive-mind is over there.
On one side they are MS bitches/rockstars owned which implies they better turn in results and play it safe, on the other side they are highly competent fans who were given the key to build the fiction they dreamed.
I'm just trying to figure what this group is about and then infer on how it impacts what they do.
if Halo changes, I want to change with it.

I'm a big Nintendo fan, and have been for a looooong time, and some changes done over time especially on Zelda and Mario Kart don't suit well with me to the point I buy those games only to be disappointed.

I want to be enticed by the games I long for, that's why I come to GAF, to take out my words and elaborate my thinking rather than feel abused by franchise fatigue or else.
Games are awesome, Halo deserves to be be great and I'm thankfull MS did not kill the franchise because Bungie left and COD was mega successful.
That said if I'm given the game I want (or don't know I want) then I'm super pumped.

Can I have a hug?
Mass Effect spoiler

Top Bottom