• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have like four posts in this thread. Honestly I'm amazed I made it to member status in less than three years.

Also, I've more or less quit Halo Reach for the past few weeks and my life has improved dramatically since then. Not saying those two things are related, but those two things are totally related.
The tournament is the last big Reach thing for me too. Not sure why I should bother with the game afterwards. Too many other great games to play.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I want to stop playing Reach, but I can't stop. Reach is like that friend that you're not really sure why you hang out with him, but every now and then he does something cool.

I think I have like four posts in this thread. Honestly I'm amazed I made it to member status in less than three years.

Also, I've more or less quit Halo Reach for the past few weeks and my life has improved dramatically since then. Not saying those two things are related, but those two things are totally related.
I feel you. I stopped playing a while back and my stress levels have gone way down. It's evident on neogaf too with most of my posts being quite a bit less confrontational. Although I did freak out on Little Foot
sorry Dax
the other day in the gaming side thread. My Combat Evolved defense alarm went crazy for about 15 minutes. But I've since returned to my calm demeanor.

I feel you. I stopped playing a while back and my stress levels have gone way down. It's evident on neogaf too with most of my posts being quite a bit less confrontational. Although I did freak out on Little Foot
sorry Dax
the other day in the gaming side thread. My Combat Evolved defense alarm went crazy for about 15 minutes. But I've since returned to my calm demeanor.
Wait? What had Dax done?

22941021.jpg

Honestly I think Halo: CE and Halo 3 are similar in end quality. At the very least, the last two levels of both games aren't up to the awesome that was reached in either game. Bungie has trouble ending their games.

The best last Halo level is Halo 2's "The Great Journey." Overall, of course. That ending fight isn't anything to brag about.

Edit: Fracas, you workin' on that tourney info for the OP?

Havok

Honestly, I think Halo: CE and Halo 3 suffer from the same ending problems. The last two levels of both games aren't up to par to what came before.
I think that's the case with all of the games, really. High Charity and The Great Journey in 2 aren't stellar, certainly not up there with Outskirts and Delta Halo, and Data Hive and Coastal Highway from ODST have maybe the most boring level design I've ever encountered. Reach might be the exception with so few standout levels, but The Package and Pillar of Autumn are at best, mostly forgettable, occasionally dipping down to "oh right, Firefight time" levels of bad. There's just this problem that I think is very much tied to the narrative of the game where Bungie wasn't exactly great at tying things up.

I will say though, that I'd rather play Keyes and The Maw several times over before making a return trip to an alien colon or randomly destructible legoland again.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Honestly I think Halo: CE and Halo 3 are similar in end quality. At the very least, the last two levels of both games aren't up to the awesome that was reached in either game. Bungie has trouble ending their games.

The best last Halo level is Halo 2's "The Great Journey." Overall, of course. That ending fight isn't anything to brag about.

Edit: Fracas, you workin' on that tourney info for the OP?

Doing it now. I kind of want to make a small banner, but I suck at that kind of stuff, haha. Just going to throw together links and text. Maybe just copy the halogaf.com post I made wholesale.

I think that's the case with all of the games, really. High Charity and The Great Journey in 2 aren't stellar, certainly not up there with Outskirts and Delta Halo, and Data Hive and Coastal Highway from ODST have maybe the most boring level design I've ever encountered. Reach might be the exception with so few standout levels, but The Package and Pillar of Autumn are at best, mostly forgettable, occasionally dipping down to "oh right, Firefight time" levels of bad. There's just this problem that I think is very much tied to the narrative of the game where Bungie wasn't exactly great at tying things up.

I will say though, that I'd rather play Keyes and The Maw several times over before going into an alien colon or randomly destructible legoland again.

I won't say "The Great Journey" is one of Halo 2's best efforts, but I thoroughly enjoy it up until the Tartarus fight. I think it puts forth a particular scope and a variety of interesting encounters that aren't seen in other ending levels of any other Halo game.

I also understand the hate for "Halo (3)." Flood-centric levels aren't ever great, and I can see why the scripted nature of the falling plates for the Warthog run rub people the wrong way. I forgive it, though, because the level feels so open. Now, it's not the most open level in Halo 3, but it has its own unique scope – kind of like The Great Journey – and you start off fighting in a snowy field, and then you can jump down and double back around the Control Room. Of course, I never play the level by itself, so this "breath of fresh air" could mostly be a result of spending at least twenty-five minutes in the claustrophobic "Cortana," but that's been my experience. I also think "Halo (3)" starts off beautifully. The combination of Marty's music and the atmosphere from walking through snowy caverns really knocks it out of the park for me.

Now, now. That's not what I said.
images

I do tend to take things out of context. Like that one time someone called me a cool cat VVVV

angry_wolf.png

I'm mostly a broken record, but I think the enjoyment I have using the pistol in Halo1 glosses over the less enjoyable levels. Music and feel help a lot too and Halo1 still has the best soundtrack for me. The music that kicks in at the perfect times to get you all pumped up. In Halo2, the only song I really remember having that effect was Peril.

The best campaign has Halo Combat Evolved for me. Then ODST or Halo 3. Halo 3 and CE have both levels which negatively affect the campaign. I do not want to call out these levels but screw them. 3's more than CE's level.

Sai-kun

Banned
I agree. After this tournament I think I'm done with it for good

Yeah, I've pretty much stopped playing this unless some friends bug me to play it. I wanted to hit Noble and I did a week ago so...now...?

edit: god that's almost ugly

i can't afford another console, microsoft

please stop

I won't say "The Great Journey" is one of Halo 2's best efforts, but I thoroughly enjoy it up until the Tartarus fight. I think it puts forth a particular scope and a variety of interesting encounters that aren't seen in other ending levels of any other Halo game.

I also understand the hate for "Halo (3)." Flood-centric levels aren't ever great, and I can see why the scripted nature of the falling plates for the Warthog run rub people the wrong way. I forgive it, though, because the level feels so open. Now, it's not the most open level in Halo 3, but it has its own unique scope – kind of like The Great Journey – and you start off fighting in a snowy field, and then you can jump down and double back around the Control Room. Of course, I never play the level by itself, so this "breath of fresh air" could mostly be a result of spending at least twenty-five minutes in the claustrophobic "Cortana," but that's been my experience. I also think "Halo (3)" starts off beautifully. The combination of Marty's music and the atmosphere from walking through snowy caverns really knocks it out of the park for me.

There are plenty of reasons to list, but I think the main one for me is that I get absolutely zero enjoyment out of fighting The Flood in Halo 3. I think it is the worst Flood in the series by a country mile.

I'm mostly a broken record, but I think the enjoyment I have using the pistol in Halo1 glosses over the less enjoyable levels. Music and feel help a lot too and Halo1 still has the best soundtrack for me. The music that kicks in at the perfect times to get you all pumped up. In Halo2, the only song I really remember having that effect was Peril.

The weapon sandbox in CE is superior, that's just science.

H4xbox.JPG

Spotted by some guy on Flikr.

Wow, that's fucking hideous if that's an actual console they are going to release, and I really like that key art.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-M_aa-HWt8m0/T_Pws__sN0I/AAAAAAAACZk/dfuSd5Ww2ZU/s640/H4xbox.JPG[IMG]

Spotted by some guy on [URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolffe2000/7498885522/in/photostream/lightbox/"]Flikr[/URL].[/QUOTE]
I don't like it. Reminds me of the ugliness of those McFarlane Halo 3 controllers.

Hopefully this isn't something they plan to release, ha

There are plenty of reasons to list, but I think the main one for me is that I get absolutely zero enjoyment out of fighting The Flood in Halo 3. I think it is the worst Flood in the series by a country mile.
Halo 3's Flood seem to take two steps forward and one step back. I really enjoyed that I could headshot them and I could melee them. I did not enjoy the long-range Flood forms.
The weapon sandbox in CE is superior, that's just science.
I will agree that Halo: CE does a better job of making every weapon useful in a unique way.

Yeah, I've pretty much stopped playing this unless some friends bug me to play it. I wanted to hit Noble and I did a week ago so...now...?

edit: god that's almost ugly

i can't afford another console, microsoft

please stop

General Grade 3 right here! Yessir. I think I like the icon for Noble the most.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Best day of Halo in a long time imo. You are all made of the things of greatness.

Drunk now bye

Halo |OT6| Junior Bacon Chee, Hold the Waypoints.

wwm0nkey

How I rate the Halo games based on story

#1. Halo CE: Great story, great start to a series, great atmosphere
#2. ODST: Semi Open world was amazing, setting was beautiful, story was interesting enough, DAT MUSIC!
#3. Halo 2: Best Dialog in a Halo game ever, some really fun set ups like the scarab battle mission, the Arbiter missions were pretty fun.
#4. Halo 3: A fitting end to the trilogy, the Terminals were fun to read, The Covenant was a GREAT level.
#5 Halo Wars: Stuck close to the lore, had awesome cut scenes.
#6 Halo Reach: ummmmm Jorge was kind of cool.

Shadders

Wow, that's fucking hideous if that's an actual console they are going to release, and I really like that key art.

I made a blog post about it: >Here<

I doubt it's something that will be sold to consumers, for starters there's two different designs there, different decals and one has a black trim, the other has silver. Might just be those sticker sets they sell around Halo game launches.

Is that a Microsoft store though?

I made a blog post about it: >Here<

I doubt it's something that will be sold to consumers, for starters there's two different designs there, different decals and one has a black trim, the other has silver. Might just be those sticker sets they sell around Halo game launches.

Is that a Microsoft store though?
CHECK YO PMs.

Halo 3's Flood seem to take two steps forward and one step back. I really enjoyed that I could headshot them and I could melee them. I did not enjoy the long-range Flood forms.

That's where we differ, I think the ability to melee Flood ruins one of the key aspects of fighting the Flood in CE (and to an extent H2 as well). The most effective way to fight the flood is with close range weapons (the shotgun), but that's also where the flood is most dangerous. Their melee attacks will destroy you, and you can't melee them. Your most effective range against the flood means you putting yourself as close as you dare to their most effective range. That is the essence of Flood combat to me, and H3 basically took that away.

That's where we differ, I think the ability to melee Flood ruins one of the key aspects of fighting the Flood in CE (or to an extent H2 as well). The most effective way to fight the flood is with close range weapons (the shotgun), but that's also where the flood is most dangerous. Their melee attacks will destroy you, and you can't melee them. Your most effective range against the flood means you putting yourself as close as you dare to their most effective range. That is the essence of Flood combat to me, and H3 basically took that away.
Doesn't help that every single shotgun since CE just has not been fun to shoot. The Mauler feels like it has more kick than the H3 shotgun.

Doesn't help that every single shotgun since CE just has not been fun to shoot. The Mauler feels like it has more kick than the H3 shotgun.

Yeah all the shotguns post-CE suck for single player and multi, with the Reach one being the only one that was decent. I don't understand why Bungie always thought after CE that the shotgun should be useless outside of a foot away. Particularly in multiplayer, a shotgun that is only effective at extremely short ranges basically forces you to camp with it. Reach beta shotgun was pretty good, but they nerfed the shit out of its range for the final game.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Shit, David and Kevin kinda looked horrible in that vid. :_\ Looked kind of like regular fans put on the spot instead of devs. IMHO.

heckfu

Banned
I just wanted to ask if you come to Europe but it looks you are giving that ticket away.
Yeah, it's too short notice to book a flight to Marseille in two weeks just for a couple nights.

I may come sooner still, but I've already started making plans and getting things organized for a Bordeaux->Marseille->Paris trip for Euro 2016.

That's where we differ, I think the ability to melee Flood ruins one of the key aspects of fighting the Flood in CE (and to an extent H2 as well). The most effective way to fight the flood is with close range weapons (the shotgun), but that's also where the flood is most dangerous. Their melee attacks will destroy you, and you can't melee them. Your most effective range against the flood means you putting yourself as close as you dare to their most effective range. That is the essence of Flood combat to me, and H3 basically took that away.
I would argue melee is a close range weapon. Flood combat has never been interesting to me, nor ever fun, so giving me a way to get through the Flood easier is an improvement in my book. Of course, you can only do this to a certain extent, otherwise there's no point in having them in the game. It seems to me Halo 3 crossed that line for you, and I definitely see where you're coming from. Even with the melee addition I was still picking up other weapons. It was more of a tool to get me out of tight spots. Instances where I have to reload and there are still Flood nearby.

I like that 343 is trying to make the different weapons sound awesome, but the BR and Pistol both sound really cheap and fake to me. It's like they're actually trying to discourage their use, since previous halos have revolved around those two weapons as the best all around weapons. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Shadders

Shit, David and Kevin kinda looked horrible in that vid. :_\ Looked kind of like regular fans put on the spot instead of devs. IMHO.

Devs are just regular guys, you can be a rockin' designer without being a great public speaker. Frank has been doing video interviews for years as well as being a journo before that. He's comfortable on camera and is very good at public speaking, you can't expect everyone to be at that level, when they haven't done many interviews before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom