• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

What's so funny and/or wrong about this? I think the implication is pretty clear: we're going to see mech combat in Halo 4, for better or worse. Or did Frankie shoot that down somewhere?
I was laughing because the hot "scoop" actually came from me. Dislike sites that never give proper credit.

Gray Man

Banned
What is HaloUnity

http://halounity.com/?section=home

Welcome to Halo UNITY, a site designed to bridge the gap between all communities in Halo, allowing them to come together in a single place to encourage activity among their members. The idea is simple. Be an active, positive, member of a community site and you will be rewarded here.

UNITY for COMMUNITIES

Easily promote your events and activities to lots of people
Distribute awards for your events and encourage players to participate.
Promote contests and give-aways with the built in Item system

UNITY for PLAYERS

Meet lots of other players like yourself
Socialize with other players through events and activities
Build up your own player profile to express your Halo interests
Join or create your own social groups

I suppose it could be neat for a all community tournament... I guess...

Sarcasm?

If not, you're pretty wrong. The GL can bounce shots around the corner, detonate in mid air and the grenades from the GL seem to travel faster. Where the GL is a weapon used mostly in an aggressive way, the sticky detonator seems like a way more defensive weapon.
Don't forget the ability to EMP vehicles.
I was laughing because the hot "scoop" actually came from me. Dislike sites that never give proper credit.

Can I scoop you without sourcing you?

Edit: Also, everyone, there's a thread on Waypoint to ask questions about the information released at SDCC: https://twitter.com/HaloWaypoint/status/225348535359516673

ibz9IPqEZKOe6T.png

Why would anyone play without Aim Assist, Waypoints and 'Nade Indicators? Just seems silly to have those options even though some people have been asking for them (idk why)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Scope health? So is there a specific amount of damage you can handle before getting knocked out of scope?

You don't get knocked out of scope unless sniping, afaik. Mastrbiggy knows more about this, but I never got knocked out of scope using the BR and DMR, just heavy flinching upwards when getting shot at.

Why would anyone play without Aim Assist, Waypoints and 'Nade Indicators? Just seems silly to have those options even though some people have been asking for them (idk why)
Aim assist can be too sticky, pulls you from initial target to a new one.
Waypoints that indicate driver, passenger and gunner seats on a Warthog are uneeded.
Grenade indicators add more to the UI than some want.
Hit markers in Campaign are uneeded as well.

But why do I care about more options? I'm acting like a spoiled brat.

Sarcasm?

If not, you're pretty wrong. The GL can bounce shots around the corner, detonate in mid air and the grenades from the GL seem to travel faster. Where the GL is a weapon used mostly in an aggressive way, the sticky detonator seems like a way more defensive weapon.

Kinda sarcasm kinda truth.

343 will treat it as a successor but it is different enough to not be.

I can see the similarities though.

I love the pro pipe and it is the single best addition to the series.

The Sticky Detonator may be a replacement but it will definitely leave a void.

Tawpgun

You don't get knocked out of scope unless sniping, afaik. Mastrbiggy knows more about this, but I never got knocked out of scope using the BR and DMR, just heavy flinching upwards when getting shot at.

If the DMR shoots anything like the Reach dmr sans bloom... They best be putting scope knockback on it.

I pretty much met my girlfriend through Halo. Our anniversary is 9/25/07. Unfortunately she is starting to fall for another member of the Handsome Men's Club.

If the DMR shoots anything like the Reach dmr sans bloom... They best be putting scope knockback on it.
There is another mechanic that I feel works just as well as being knocked out of scope. I'll go into detail about it when I get home.

Perhaps, if Domino is up to it, we can do a live chat about anything you guys want to talk about.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

Decreased/locked rate of fire and recoil alleviate most of the issues of cross-mapping with the DMR, but if Longbow's design is any indication of how BTB maps will work, you won't really be able to look at every spot of the map regardless of your location *coughhemorrahgecough*

So the sniper has knock out of scope, longer time inbetween shots fired, huge recoil and a scope that takes up a third of the screen... sounds like it's been nerfed but I'd have to play it (tm).

Kibbles

ibz9IPqEZKOe6T.png

If bloom is purely visual can you turn that off from the start menu as well? It still annoys me seeing the reticle expand.

Tawpgun

Decreased/locked rate of fire and recoil alleviate most of the issues of cross-mapping with the DMR, but if Longbow's design is any indication of how BTB maps will work, you won't really be able to look at every spot of the map regardless of your location *coughhemorrahgecough*

And longbow really didn't feel like you were getting pinged everywhere? Keep in mind, half the longbow footage I've seen was from people who chose to use the AR on the map, or wanted to test out the newly returned BR. Once everyone realized BTB = DMRs, it might be different.

Worst comes to worst, a playlist update down the line will remove DMR's from starting weapons in BTB

http://i.imgur.com/c5dxY.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Think about it.. Have you ever tried betraying a teammate? That's how it would feel without Aim Assist. Sure it may get sticky sometimes, but without that aiming would be incredibly difficult in a Halo game.

Why wouldn't you wanna know where the Grenades coming at you are?

Why wouldn't you want to have the little Waypoints like showing where the Rockets are when they don't get in the way? It either helps or doesn't hurt: Helps just in case you forget when they spawn so they show up or in the case of a random spawn. Also, it doesn't impede your vision at all so..

[I]How about instead of trying to be "funny" you post something constructive and help me understand why someone would turn off the benefits of having them on?[/I]

TheOddOne

"Halo fan marries Cortana doll, New York judge approves."
"New forum members are forced to have premium quality lap dances, police investigate the horrific hazing procedure."
"Obsessed Halo fan threatens to stop playing Reach because of lore continuity errors, Microsoft is investigating the case."
"Frank O’ Connor is tired of people streaking in front of his house, fires Halo array."
"Ex-writer and game designer David Ellis becomes an internet sensation, 1up and Giantbomb dedicate a whole day on the genre-defining meme."

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So the sniper has knock out of scope, longer time inbetween shots fired, huge recoil and a scope that takes up a third of the screen... sounds like it's been nerfed but I'd have to play it (tm).

Again, I don't know if you get knocked out of scope using the Sniper, I just know you DON'T when using the Carbine, BR, and DMR.

All the changes to the Sniper just mean when someone says "damn you're good with the Sniper", you're actually good with the Sniper. It's so unbelievably satisfying to get a kill with it in Halo 4 because of its changes.

@mastrbiggy I'm definitely down for that. I'll answer heckfu's first question, too: yes, there's MP in Halo 4.

And longbow really didn't feel like you were getting pinged everywhere? Keep in mind, half the longbow footage I've seen was from people who chose to use the AR on the map, or wanted to test out the newly returned BR. Once everyone realized BTB = DMRs, it might be different.

Worst comes to worst, a playlist update down the line will remove DMR's from starting weapons in BTB

Yeah I see your point, it's possible that everyone will quickly associate BTB with using a DMR, but all my Longbow games were against Voltron and mastrbiggy from GAF, both of which are really good and it took us a few games to realize that the TVs were set up as red > blue > red > blue rather than every six TVs being on the same team. I was facing them both with mastrbiggy using BR and Thruster and Voltron using BR and DMR. Most of the other players used the BR, yeah.

There weren't really moments where I was getting shot from all directions. There's many hills, bases, tunnels, random railways to get to the top and bottom of the middle of the map, and so on, to provide cover and enough ways to manuveur in and out of all locations.

blamite

The Pro Pipe was by far the best addition to Halo since the Chopper, which was in turn the best addition since the Needler.

I'll be so disappointed if it's gone.

"Halo fan marries Cortana doll, New York judge approves."
"New forum members are forced to have premium quality lap dances, police investigate the horrific hazing procedure."
"Obsessed Halo fan threatens to stop playing Reach because of lore continuity errors, Microsoft is investigating the case."
"Frank O’ Connor is tired of people streaking in front of his house, fires Halo array."
"Ex-writer and game designer David Ellis becomes an internet sensation, 1up and Giantbomb dedicate a whole day on the genre-defining meme."
MotherofGod.gif

Ryaaan14

Banned
Think about it.. Have you ever tried betraying a teammate? That's how it would feel without Aim Assist. Sure it may get sticky sometimes, but without that aiming would be incredibly difficult in a Halo game.

Why wouldn't you wanna know where the Grenades coming at you are?

Why wouldn't you want to have the little Waypoints like showing where the Rockets are when they don't get in the way? It either helps or doesn't hurt: Helps just in case you forget when they spawn so they show up or in the case of a random spawn. Also, it doesn't impede your vision at all so..

How about instead of trying to be "funny" you post something constructive and help me understand why someone would turn off the benefits of having them on?

I posted that gif because you think that screen is real.

B wzy

Neo Member
I thought I read that there is some form of scope health. Like if you took a hard enough hit or sustained a set amount of damage you got knocked out.

kylej

Banned
The Pro Pipe was by far the best addition to Halo since the Chopper, which was in turn the best addition since the Needler.

I'll be so disappointed if it's gone.

It is gone. The solution to "people don't use the propipe" is not to motivate people to use the weapon by placing it in higher traffic areas or adding it to more maps in matchmaking. The solution is to make a less versatile form of it. Because when it's less useful... more people will use it. I guess.

Again, I don't know if you get knocked out of scope using the Sniper, I just know you DON'T when using the Carbine, BR, and DMR.

All the changes to the Sniper just mean when someone says "damn you're good with the Sniper", you're actually good with the Sniper. It's so unbelievably satisfying to get a kill with it in Halo 4 because of its changes.

Which changes specifically made it more satisfying? Hopefully the reduced magnetism and the overall speed increase of the spartans puts it more in league with the Halo 3 sniper? Not too sure how I feel about recoil on a sniper...

Also, did you drive a Hog at any point? General impressions on that?

Thanks for the impressions so far btw.

It is gone. The solution to "people don't use the propipe" is not to motivate people to use the weapon by placing it in higher traffic areas or adding it to more maps in matchmaking. The solution is to make a less versatile form of it. Because when it's less useful... more people will use it. I guess.

Joker-clap.gif

I would love an official response to this that actually makes sense. That whole situation was just like the Bungie run-arounds we've grown accustomed to IMO, but I digress.. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom