• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seance

Banned
DMR shoots faster than BR, right? Now that PV is being nerfed along with the carbine, i have already formulated my ideal loadout.

DMR
PP
Shielding
Thruster pack
sensor enhancing thing
frags

Tawpgun

Funny thing about the Sticky Detonator. I think it might actually travel just as fast as the new, slow ass rockets.

I'm fine with the rocket speed, but please get rid of that contrail. The smoke was so much better.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
The bolded truly sounds terrible if you ask me. They really want people to just camp and wait for someone to walk over their grenades? That's the biggest problem I have with it. The ability to bounce your grenades was one of the best things of the Grenade Launcher and sticking them to the ground sounds incredibly boring in comparison.

Just give us either only the Grenade Launcher back or both the Grenade Launcher and Sticky Detonator.

True, but the SD also makes a very loud and clear BEEP BEEP BEEP for the entire duration it's on the floor so if you're approaching a stack of grenades and you hear that, you're not going to pick them up or stay near that area. They make it very clear that there's a SD on the floor near you.

The recoil and decreased magnetism on the Sniper made it satisfying. I didn't notice a rate of fire decrease because the recoil made me more methodical with the Sniper from the get go so I was always dealing with shooting once, maybe twice, then reloading.

I didn't use any vehicles (mastrbiggy did, I think) because I was engulfed in donging with my hitscan BR, but vehicle damage worries me right now. I took out a Ghost in one clip of the Sniper which is like Reach. I'm not a fan of that.

Decreased magnetism is great. On paper the recoil sounds like a really bad idea from my perspective but I'll wait and see. I haven't heard much negativity from people who've actually used it so that's promising.

Sniper taking out vehicles is URGH. When they took over the reigns, 343 said they adamantly read the forums and take into account criticism. The way a sniper destroys vehicles in Reach is one of the most universal and consistent complaints I've read over the years. If it isn't changed in the final build, serious questions will be asked.

I know it's cool to hate on a kyle post, but this and the whole custom controls thing still don't sit right with me, explanation-wise.

Sticky launcher could be totally amazing, too, but the logic of the GL removal still baffles me.

The explanation is hokum. Like I said, if the logic of sandbox reduction is how often something was used in the previous game, the hologram would not be returning. In fact, a whole host of weapons shouldn't be seeing the light of day in Halo 4 based on that explanation. Its omission is especially offensive given 343's decision to implement an exp-based weapon unlock system which depends on having several duplicates of weapon types with slight variations between them to justify their differences. Why can't the Grenade Launcher and Sticky Launcher co-exist like the BR, Carbine and DMR?

I postulate that the Grenade Launcher was removed not because it wasn't used enough but because it didn't fit into the core design philosophy of Halo 4. The design philosophy that places waypoint markers above each of the Warthog's seats; that allows all players on the map to see through walls at the press of a button; that lets you know in writing, right above the reticle, that you got a headshot when you just shot a guy in the head. No, think of the newer players. They couldn't possibly handle a gun that shoots projectiles that bounce and are therefore at the mercy of physics and the surrounding environment. Better to make the projectile stick to whatever you point it at therefore removing any confusion or unintended consequences to the newer player.

That the GL took a shred of nous to use and possessed complexities beyond your standard point and shoot weapon fare, that is its real sin in the Halo 4 sandbox and the reason for its absence from the corpse laden halls of Infinity's War Games.

Seance

Banned
True, but the SD also makes a very loud and clear BEEP BEEP BEEP for the entire duration it's on the floor so if you're approaching a stack of grenades and you hear that, you're not going to pick them up or stay near that area. They make it very clear that there's a SD on the floor near you.
This is what bugs me. No way you will ever ambush a player with the SD if they have a working headset. Even on a youtube vid the beeping is obnoxiously loud.

Blueblur1

Josh Holmes told us you could plant it somewhere, like if you were trying to set your team up at top-mid on Haven, then switch back to your primary weapon and continue shooting until someone would approach the area where your SD was planted and just switch back to the SD and push RT again to detonate. It's most definitely a tricky, tactical weapon.

But I will say I'm just as bummed as you guys that the GL is gone because I love that weapon. I don't care what their reasoning was for removing it, I just care that it's gone. :(

Sounds like a awful lot of planning and waiting to get a single kill. No, thanks.

Think about it.. Have you ever tried betraying a teammate? That's how it would feel without Aim Assist. Sure it may get sticky sometimes, but without that aiming would be incredibly difficult in a Halo game.

Why wouldn't you wanna know where the Grenades coming at you are?

Why wouldn't you want to have the little Waypoints like showing where the Rockets are when they don't get in the way? It either helps or doesn't hurt: Helps just in case you forget when they spawn so they show up or in the case of a random spawn. Also, it doesn't impede your vision at all so..

How about instead of trying to be "funny" you post something constructive and help me understand why someone would turn off the benefits of having them on?
Stop speaking for everyone, that's why they're called custom options. If someone wants to play multiplayer without aim assist, let them. It shouldn't concern you, it doesn't aftect you.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I can't wait to try to "rocket jump" with the SD. It's gonna be easier in Halo 4 than any of the other games yet just because of that weapon.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Oh no, I was just trying to make a funny, don't mind me. I thought what came of this was very nice to see.

Yo Domino any word on what happens if I was to stick the flag as a defensive tactic and detonate when the flag is picked up?

No clue, we didn't get to play Flag or Oddball. It'd be funny if you could put it on the Oddball then pick it up and toss it to other players. Just sayin'. :p

THAT's the new Hot Potato.

This is what bugs me. No way you will ever ambush a player with the SD if they have a working headset. Even on a youtube vid the beeping is obnoxiously loud.
If you are focused in a fight, you will definitely not care about the beeping.

Reading all this stuff about the SD, it sounds that it is a very supportive weapon. I am kinda of okay with that. I am thinking Reach had too much overpowered weapons and the matches tend to be "get the power weapon, kill, wait for respawn of the weapon, kill etc". I would place the sticky in a very active battleground and assist my teammates with it. (Taking out some shield etc) and never trying to kill someone. That's the impression I am having atm.

The fact that the splash damage of the SD appears to be quite weak, and that these guys were playing on LAN, doesn't bode well for the weapons performance on P2P online matches

I'm still waiting on that "return of the pro-pipe" reveal trailer

:(

Forerunner 'Nade Launcher please?!
I'm sure it won't happen though.

Has there been any confirmation on the 10 "new" weapons being brand new to the sandbox and not similar versions before? (ie: Repeater now becoming the Storm Rifle)

FL1Psyde

Neo Member
hopped on reach for first time in 2 months, played 3 games of MLG with me and a buddy, 1st game match t04, teammates dont have mic, one quits 2mins in, 2nd game both teammates quit 1 min in, 3rd game 1 teammate quits 2mins in, f reach, good to see nothing has changed

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Attach a sticky detonator to a sticky detonator.
bCHzI.jpg

lawful

Banned
Has there been any confirmation on the 10 "new" weapons being brand new to the sandbox and not similar versions before? (ie: Repeater now becoming the Storm Rifle)

Light Rifle, Scattershot, Storm Rifle, Sticky Detonator, Railgun... I think that is all that has been confirmed(?)

I predict a third pistol type, a Forerunner automatic weapon, a Forerunner heavy weapon, one more random Covy weapon, and something to replace the Gravity Hammer. Bet on it.

Akai__

Light Rifle, Scattershot, Storm Rifle, Sticky Detonator, Railgun... I think that is all that has been confirmed(?)

I predict a third pistol type, a Forerunner automatic weapon, a Forerunner heavy weapon, one more random Covy weapon, and something to replace the Gravity Hammer. Bet on it.

We saw pictures and gameplay confirmation of a Forerunner Sniper. There is even a Forerunner Assault Rifle/ SMG looking weapon, but I don't remember the name. It was teased by bsangel, I think.

I just noticed on the FUD poster that Davidge and Nathan Lanier are doing the music.

The Pro Pipe was by far the best addition to Halo since the Chopper, which was in turn the best addition since the Needler.

I'll be so disappointed if it's gone.

In all honesty. I didn't really miss the GL in H4.

This image just makes me want a ViDoc.
Apparently the phones rang.

I've been shot by a Forerunner sniper and a Forerunner smg type weapon. Don't forget the power drainesque Forerunner grenade.

Perhaps baffled was the wrong wording, but I was referring to my first sentence in that post. On its own merits, I was confused at its removal (apart from H4 sandbox "conflicts"). Its under-utilization should have been compared to its availability and accessibility, as others have mentioned. If that was done, I don't know.

Perhaps I'm just salty over it because it is one of my favorite Halo weapons to use...ever. It was new, balanced, took at least a little skill to use properly, versatile, and, in the right hands, quite precise. It's one of those weapons where I picked it up any chance I got because it was just so damn fun to use.

Isn't that the point of having different weapons? To facilitate fun?

So, I noticed nobody is talking about the new Jackal design-

oGvnl.png

BWF5h.png

I really hope we get some direct feed shots of these, possibly in this weeks Bulletin? They seem damned scary looking, but my big complaint is their eyes seem very small compared to past Jackal designs. It helped make them look more alien. But otherwise, I like em, at least from what I can tell.

Also,

ZB8nU.jpg

Thanks Ghaleon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom