• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

heckfu

Banned
I pretty much met my girlfriend through Halo. Our anniversary is 9/25/07. Unfortunately she is starting to fall for another member of the Handsome Men's Club.

I'm not part of the club as far as I know, but I'm totally meeting her in NYC. But you already knew that.

Somebody with photoshop skills needs to get rid of that white background for this avatar.
Somebody needs to acknowledge that I'm still upset with your communication skills regarding the tournament and would like a PM or some sort of recognition ANYWHERE.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Which changes specifically made it more satisfying? Hopefully the reduced magnetism and the overall speed increase of the spartans puts it more in league with the Halo 3 sniper? Not too sure how I feel about recoil on a sniper...

Also, did you drive a Hog at any point? General impressions on that?

Thanks for the impressions so far btw.

The recoil and decreased magnetism on the Sniper made it satisfying. I didn't notice a rate of fire decrease because the recoil made me more methodical with the Sniper from the get go so I was always dealing with shooting once, maybe twice, then reloading.

I didn't use any vehicles (mastrbiggy did, I think) because I was engulfed in donging with my hitscan BR, but vehicle damage worries me right now. I took out a Ghost in one clip of the Sniper which is like Reach. I'm not a fan of that.

It is gone. The solution to "people don't use the propipe" is not to motivate people to use the weapon by placing it in higher traffic areas or adding it to more maps in matchmaking. The solution is to make a less versatile form of it. Because when it's less useful... more people will use it. I guess.

I know it's cool to hate on a kyle post, but this and the whole custom controls thing still don't sit right with me, explanation-wise.

Sticky launcher could be totally amazing, too, but the logic of the GL removal still baffles me.

Tawpgun

UI suggestion: Can you make the ordnance drop tell you how many points you need to the next one?

PS. Is friendly fire by default in?

kylej

Banned
The recoil and decreased magnetism on the Sniper made it satisfying. I didn't notice a rate of fire decrease because the recoil made me more methodical with the Sniper from the get go so I always always dealing with shooting once, maybe twice, then reloading.

Er, how does an artificial gimp that slows down sniper rifle play make it more fun to use? I'm not sure there was really a problem with people no-scoping too often or ripping body shots off at too quick a pace. Recoil seems totally pointless.

I just got so nerd-happy. I can be your Mendicant Bias?!

Sweet talk me more, daxy.

Heckfu, dear, you know I'm not terribly good at sweet talking. Just know that I love you, which is why I have an Offensive Bias waiting in the wings should you decide to go rampant. :)
It is gone. The solution to "people don't use the propipe" is not to motivate people to use the weapon by placing it in higher traffic areas or adding it to more maps in matchmaking. The solution is to make a less versatile form of it. Because when it's less useful... more people will use it. I guess.
I think there's a point to be made here. However, I figure (guessing) 343's thinking is that if the SD doesn't have as many bells and whistles, it's less complicated for players to use, and so they'll use it more because it's easier to grasp all the complexities of the weapon. Again, just a guess. I know nothing about game design or the reasoning why developers drop one weapon for another.

Mastrbiggy said the SD was more versatile than the pro-pipe, but he didn't elaborate. I would love to hear what he had to say on the subject in more detail.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Er, how does an artificial gimp that slows down sniper rifle play make it more fun to use? I'm not sure there was really a problem with people no-scoping too often or ripping body shots off at too quick a pace. Recoil seems totally pointless.

I got a no scope headshot using the Sniper the first time at E3. :)

I'm not good with the Sniper and I don't really bother using it in any of the Halo games unless absolutely no one is picking it up (which is exactly what happened at Comic Con that made me use it in the first place), but for me, it felt like I was using a bolt-action rifle in Halo 4 because of how I forced myself to wait quite a while between shots.

All of this just made Sniper kills way more satisfying (for me). You're better with the Sniper than I am so I'm sure you're going to adapt to it, no problem. The recoil is a nudge from center to north-east.

Somebody needs to acknowledge that I'm still upset with your communication skills regarding the tournament and would like a PM or some sort of recognition ANYWHERE.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39955389&highlight=#post39955389
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39955524&highlight=#post39955524

Sorry you're upset, but I've apologized already, and explained myself. I'm not going to continue carrying out this discourse in private because you can't let it go, man.

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-moXvorJ51M

What the hell?! Must be the beginning of the I Hate Wasps ad campaign for Halo 4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39955389&highlight=#post39955389
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39955524&highlight=#post39955524

Sorry you're upset, but I've apologized already, and explained myself. I'm not going to continue carrying out this discourse in private because you can't let it go, man.

I have to agree here, HeckFu, just let it go man, it's only a community tournament.

Did you make that?

I wish Ryan.

Risen

but the logic of the GL removal still baffles me.

Honestly... I hate the fact the GL is apparently gone. It was the single best weapon design in Reach in terms of fitting the sandbox combined with skill gap. However... the explanation given was that it was "objectively underused". Again... stats can mean all sorts of things, and Kyle rightly points out (IMO) some of the reasons that could have been so.

But the logic behind removing a weapon that was "underused", in order to not waste a spot in the sandbox, which includes an entire new suite of weapons, is certainly a logical decision. That doesn't make it a GOOD decision for game play (arguably), nor does that make the new weapons (SD) well designed.

I'm baffled how this baffles you.

Its easy and yes I'm assuming but here:

Thought 1. Grenade Launcher was complex, scared players away.
Thought 2. We want the game accessible to as many players as possible and casuals because we want to make money.
Thought 3. Remove it and add something simpler.

Outcome 1. Have a shitty simplistic game come release that tons of people will buy and get lots of sales.
Outcome 2. Game won't be complex enough to dig its nails into real fans. Everyone leaves for other games. Game slips in the rankings below CoD. Again.

Its basically the casuals skewing the statistics for what Halo needs. Probably one of the reasons Sword Base and Uncaged are so heavy in playlists is because thats what casuals actually vote for. The numbers show the map is "liked". Casuals ruin Halo.

Ha!

Also Bobs', you little genius, you made me and Myyke crack up in laughter.

That guy is amazing, I'm still hoping to do business with him lol.

As for the new sniper, I welcome a more challenging sniper but I hope it isn't a boring weapon to use, too long of a delay between shots would relegate it to being the weapon of choice for the camo camper. Mid range rail gunning quake style is where that gun is at its most fun.

kylej

Banned
I'm baffled how this baffles you.

You do realize you don't have to play the wisened old man card with every syntactical error someone makes, right? I'm pretty sure that guy isn't sitting there in bewilderment like Galileo staring at the night sky solely because a gun was removed from a video game.

Risen

You do realize you don't have to play the wisened old man card with every syntactical error someone makes, right? I'm pretty sure that guy isn't sitting there in bewilderment like Galilleo staring at the night sky solely because a gun was removed from a video game.

Someone needs hugs... comere widdle boy.

Tawpgun

Its easy and yes I'm assuming but here:

Thought 1. Grenade Launcher was complex, scared players away.
Thought 2. We want the game accessible to as many players as possible and casuals because we want to make money.
Thought 3. Remove it and add something simpler.

Outcome 1. Have a shitty simplistic game come release that tons of people will buy and get lots of sales.
Outcome 2. Game won't be complex enough to dig its nails into real fans. Everyone leaves for other games. Game slips in the rankings below CoD. Again.

Its basically the casuals skewing the statistics for what Halo needs. Probably one of the reasons Sword Base and Uncaged are so heavy in playlists is because thats what casuals actually vote for. The numbers show the map is "liked". Casuals ruin Halo.

We're not gonna see Halo 4 go above the current CoD. Not yet. CoD is in a weird place right now. More and more people are hating on it, but they keep breaking sales records.

Is he good with it?

Also, lol @ SD being simpler than the GL.

Not 'simple' to use like to be proficient in it. I mean the # of things you can do with it and use it. I thought I read someone whos played it say it was simpler than the GL in that respect...? No? Did you use it a few times?

So after camping all weekend (friday-monday) I finally caught up to all the SDCC stuff. I had a giant multi-quote, but I decided to trim it down and just post my thoughts and impressions based on this weekends news and videos, keep it clean. I did keep two quotes though since they were more recent and still fresh topics as opposed to the stuff from a few days ago.

Anyways, thoughts-

-Objective Assassinations? YES. So good. I can't wait to see what else they have planned.

-Flag and Pistol? Not sure what to think.

-Throwing the Oddball? Sounds incredibly awesome, its gonna freshen things up for sure.

-Armor from ranking up? Awesome. I hope it isn't simply linear though, and I hope some armor sets require unique accomplishments, such as finding all the skulls, etc.

-Promethean Grenade is an EMP? Awesome, I hope it will behave similar to the power drainer such as rolling around, etc. I am surprised it isn't something that vaporizes enemies though.

-Halo 4 trailer for theaters sure looks sexy, its kinda interesting they are going for a more of a vidoc style trailer though. I guess its a good way to appeal to the movie crowd by showing off how large scale a project like this is. Need direct feed.

-Halo 4 'leaked' cinematic was awesome, its a shame we don't have a direct feed version of it.

-Halo 4 Sp Ops sizzle reel was awesome, need direct feed.

-Panels were awesome.

-Hyper is getting his hoodie!

-Halo 4 LE console looks better via videos, still wish it was more subdued. However, I find it appealing now.

-FUD cast and crew seem great, I really have high hopes for the project despite finding the trailer to look a little low budget.

-More live action shorts/commercials? Awesome.

-We still need ViDocs of SP, MP, Forge and now Sp Ops. Please.

Nice, great to see this stuff in action! So this makes 3 videos of SpOps from SDCC, correct? One crap quality of a kid playing, one decent quality of another kid playing and then this, or was there more?

Anyways, this is really our first real look into what to expect from SP in terms AI and behaviours, I have to say it looks nice. The Prometheans look like they are a blast to fight, and they seem to be very unique in terms of what to expect when you encounter them. I can't wait to see what else the Promethean sandbox may be hiding.

Btw, this seems to be gaming side thread worthy as it is our first time really seeing a 'full mission' played.

Sounds like a half-assed way of fixing constant inconsistencies.

And whoever said that the armor in the Fall of Reach comic looks more like the one in The Package (Hypertrooper?), you're very wrong.

That's Halo Wars armor through and through.

Would have much preferred something more akin to these:

I can visually see those evolving into this:

I agree that it is an awkward choice to use the armor from The Package, however I do not hate what they created, I simply would have preferred a slightly different take. Im still a little bummed by the fact that MC looks very low budget in the trailer despite the actual quality that went into FUD.

B wzy

Neo Member
I'm suprised they can't make the the SD both an airburst and sticky. Maybe it would be confusing, but couldn't it be RT to fire, RT to detonate. Just have a minimum distance requirement before airburst is possible. Maybe I'm naive and don't understand, but that could make it very versatile.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Could you go into detail about what you think about the Sticky Detonator? If you don't mind.

I used the SD multiple times at E3 and Comic Con and only got one kill with it, total. Mastrbiggy's better with it than I am and Frank got three stickies in a row which will never happen again.

Anyways, it's definitely a more defensive weapon like Robbster said earlier. If you try to use it by saying "oh this guy's charging me, I'm just going to shoot in front of him and kill him", you're going to lose.

The splash damage is also REALLY small from what I can tell which means that you're going to have to place it at precise spots where people would essentially walk over it then detonate. There's a delay between planting it somewhere and pushing RT again to detonate it. Either that, or you have to wait for it to travel quite a distance before you can push RT again to have it detonate in the air.

The arch is also much lower than the reticle dictates so you're going to have to be good about calculating where you think it'll land.

I used it as an offensive weapon where I'd sprint towards someone and try to plant it in front of their feet and detonate it but it didn't work. I switched to using it to predict someone's movement around a corner and got my first kill with it. Kevin Franklin told us you could call grenades as your ordnance drop, plant the SD there, then wait for someone to pick up grenades and then watch the fireworks.

Josh Holmes told us you could plant it somewhere, like if you were trying to set your team up at top-mid on Haven, then switch back to your primary weapon and continue shooting until someone would approach the area where your SD was planted and just switch back to the SD and push RT again to detonate. It's most definitely a tricky, tactical weapon.

But I will say I'm just as bummed as you guys that the GL is gone because I love that weapon. I don't care what their reasoning was for removing it, I just care that it's gone. :(

Me, you and Myyke, should send him a gift basket, I'm being serious.

Too much effort :p he was awesome though!

I really hope it's possible to turn sprint off, kind of a weird tangent but just something that was being discussed earlier, as it's now just a standard control rather than AA I'm not too hopeful but sprint would kill a classic mode and potential awesome customs.

Also demoncarnoteur I'm not attacking, just taking this as a chance to say I am
Not personally a fan of objective specific assassinations, waste of resources considering how often the situation will arise, and if the situation does arise surely it's almost always going to get you killed and lose you the objective/ lose valuable flag running time?

I used the SD multiple times at E3 and Comic Con and only got one kill with it, total. Mastrbiggy's better with it than I am and Frank got three stickies in a row which will never happen again.

Anyways, it's definitely a more defensive weapon like Robbster said earlier. If you try to use it by saying "oh this guy's charging me, I'm just going to shoot in front of him and kill him", you're going to lose.

The splash damage is also REALLY small from what I can tell which means that you're going to have to place it at precise spots where people would essentially walk over it then detonate. There's a delay between planting it somewhere and pushing RT again to detonate it. Either that, or you have to wait for it to travel quite a distance before you can push RT again to have it detonate in the air.

The arch is also much lower than the reticle dictates so you're going to have to be good about calculating where you think it'll land.

So it CAN detonate in the air then... Interesting. Does it have an EMP effect? I didn't notice that.

Sorry, I didn't see those this morning, I had already gone to bed. I understand now but you have to see how it was REALLY frustrating over the past couple weeks with no responses.

I certainly admit that it must have been frustrating, though I really didn't get a PM from you on NeoGAF. If I had, I would have gotten an email notification instantly. Either way, it's over now and I hope we can move past it without any hard feelings.

I used it as an offensive weapon where I'd sprint towards someone and try to plant it in front of their feet and detonate it but it didn't work. I switched to using it to predict someone's movement around a corner and got my first kill with it. Kevin Franklin told us you could call grenades as your ordnance drop, plant the SD there, then wait for someone to pick up grenades and then watch the fireworks.

Josh Holmes told us you could plant it somewhere, like if you were trying to set your team up at top-mid on Haven, then switch back to your primary weapon and continue shooting until someone would approach the area where your SD was planted and just switch back to the SD and push RT again to detonate. It's most definitely a tricky, tactical weapon.

But I will say I'm just as bummed as you guys that the GL is gone because I love that weapon. I don't care what their reasoning was for removing it, I just care that it's gone. :(

Sounds like something I will probably never pick on my ordnance. Shame.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So it CAN detonate in the air then... Interesting. Does it have an EMP effect? I didn't notice that.

No, and sticking a vehicle with it then detonating won't destroy the vehicle in one shot. Well, for the Warthog anyways, I believe.

When it comes to SD, vehicles, and all that stuff, ask mastrbiggy.

Also, Hologram is a lot better in Halo 4 than Reach even though they function the same. I think the fact that the X hit marker shows up when you shoot at a Hologram makes a huge difference in fooling someone.

To be honest, ordinance wise, the powerups seem like a much more advantageous option to pick.

This, unless you get lucky and get Sniper or Rockets as an option (which is rare).

heckfu

Banned
I certainly admit that it must have been frustrating, though I really didn't get a PM from you on NeoGAF. If I had, I would have gotten an email notification instantly. Either way, it's over now and I hope we can move past it without any hard feelings.

Sounds good to me, friend.

Voltron64

The splash damage should be greater. It seemed that if an enemy wasn't standing directly over it, it barely did any damage at all.

To be honest, ordinance wise, the powerups seem like a much more advantageous option to pick.

Yeah I've seen Sword, Sniper, Laser, and Scattershot come up on Ordnance, those those are probably worthy picking at times, but I see zero reason at this point to pick some defense weapon like the SD over a power up when I'd probably be better off just using my starting weapons.

Sorry, I didn't see those this morning, I had already gone to bed. I understand now but you have to see how it was REALLY frustrating over the past couple weeks with no responses.

Heckfu, I just have to learn how to....

Don't be too upset. On your birthday too of all things.

heckfu

Banned
Heckfu, I just have to learn how to....

Don't be too upset. On your birthday too of all things.

Keep reading, we were both partially wrong, apologies have been made and we've moved on.

I have a track record of admitting when I've been wrong and this is no exception.

No, and sticking a vehicle with it then detonating won't destroy the vehicle in one shot. Well, for the Warthog anyways, I believe.

When it comes to SD, vehicles, and all that stuff, ask mastrbiggy.

Also, Hologram is a lot better in Halo 4 than Reach even though they function the same. I think the fact that the X hit marker shows up when you shoot at a Hologram makes a huge difference in fooling someone.

Damn. That's what I had thought. Seems like it's not nearly as versatile a weapon as the GL is. So only the Plasma Pistol has an EMP effect, which saddens me greatly.

Edit: Nevermind, there's that new grenade, too. I wonder if it has to land before it triggers EMP.

Keep reading, we were both partially wrong, apologies have been made and we've moved on.

I have a track record of admitting when I've been wrong and this is no exception.

Oh no, I was just trying to make a funny, don't mind me. I thought what came of this was very nice to see.

Yo Domino any word on what happens if I was to stick the flag as a defensive tactic and detonate when the flag is picked up?

Overdoziz

Banned

The bolded truly sounds terrible if you ask me. They really want people to just camp and wait for someone to walk over their grenades? That's the biggest problem I have with it. The ability to bounce your grenades was one of the best things of the Grenade Launcher and sticking them to the ground sounds incredibly boring in comparison.

Just give us either only the Grenade Launcher back or both the Grenade Launcher and Sticky Detonator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom