• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, are we going to get an explanation for this reptilian appearance other than just assuming blindly it's an artistic choice?
I can think of a few explanations:

1. Energy/radiation leak in some of the Point Defence Gauntlets (outsourcing ruins everything) lead to mutations
  2. Crossbreeding with another species on the Kig-yar homeworld, considered an inferior breed and are normally outcast
  3. Space Hillbillies who like to put their "plasma pistol" in their sisters

...or did you mean "official" explanation?

daedalius

MLG playlist is simply a generous offer from the game creators. Let's people interested in MLG play in MLG settings without having to try and round up 8 people.

A Team Hardcore would be nice, but Team Hardcores in other Halo's have only been no radar, precision weapon starts.

MLG has much more bigger differences. Gotta see how MLG changes up Halo 4.

It seems like MLG gives no fucks about Halo currently to me.

Why do they deserve a playlist, or any exposure in general within the game?

Funny thing was that Bungie was actually removing AL and not including it in new lists when they were in control. 343 started putting it back in when they TU'd it and they attached achievements to it, so AL is stuck in matchmaking forever.

Luke Smith: "Its totally overpowered and broken! But its so much fun!"

FyreWulff

The playlists in which some of Bungie's poor design decisions are glaringly apparent.

:|

Funny thing was that Bungie was actually removing AL and not including it in new lists when they were in control. 343 started putting it back in when they TU'd it and they attached achievements to it, so AL is stuck in matchmaking forever.

An MLG playlist doesn't need to exist if we have Team Hardcore.

I think this is probably true for a lot of people.

I'd personally be significantly more apt to play in something like Team Hardcore.

The thing about a TH playlist though, is that they're not going to be the 'official' competitive players settings. One of the biggest benefits of MLG having the monopoly on the competitive Halo scene was that any aspiring Halo pro could look to their settings as the benchmark, and if they became the best at those, they were effectively the best in the world. It unifies the 'hardcore' players. A Hardcore playlist would be a nebulous grey area between regular MM and true competitive settings. With MLG turning their back on Halo, it will become very difficult for 343 to nail what exactly are competitive settings to the hardcore crowd.

I think the design is pretty uninspired but leaving opinions aside, I would like to know if they are going to bother explaining an obvious (and almost unneeded) change.

Right now, it seems like change for the sake of change. They keep many elements the same but why change the ones that they are changing? I can understand the Chief's armour. I can understand the UNSC logo and FUD design and things like that. But changing up the Covenant is a bit more upfront. Millions of players are already familiar with these enemies and I'd hate to think they'd change some of them so drastically without even offering some kind of explanation.

343 have made very loud noises about integrating the extended universe and keep a tighter canon going forward and that's great but they are starting afresh by significantly breaking canon in lots of small ways and it's not a good start.

If I have to compile a list of little silly things that need explaining, I'll do so. Anything to get an answer.

You could change a few words and phrasings in this paragraph and have the same argument that lovers of previous Halo's wheel out everytime something in the multi changes. The answer they usually get is "I've played that game, I want something new" or "they're evolving the game, they don't need to explain it"

----------------------------------

Any Halo 3 parties going tonight?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

1. Energy/radiation leak in some of the Point Defence Gauntlets (outsourcing ruins everything) lead to mutations
  2. Crossbreeding with another species on the Kig-yar homeworld, considered an inferior breed and are normally outcast

LOL, it's not too hard to bullshit up a few explanations like that. I mean official, canonised explanations.

I've said this before, but I think the sandbox benefits without enemy wielding long-range weapons. There's no trial-and-error with enemies who wield a sniper rifle or focus rifle. I can't think of an encounter where I'm not pressured to take those guys out first. You can't leave them for later; you have to take them out as soon as you enter the area.

The Focus rifle is better than the sniper rifle, yes, but even so: Halo 1 had it right in this regard.

Edit: Goddammit, second post of the day and it's at the bottom of the page. Weee!

quoted just to avoid the bottom of the page blues

you're welcome, babe

CyReN

Yes MLG was great great to us, but that was years ago. The only antics they are pulling now is to get their former fans back for the launch of Halo 4 and the first event and cash in on that, besides that it will be deja vu of 2012 season past that. 343i has put more effort into the competitive community in the last 6 months than MLG themselves, think about that. Yes I'm somewhat pissy for them, but I have my reasons that are well known to censoring other Halo communities to publicity insulting us (or supporting those who do)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
You could change a few words and phrasings in this paragraph and have the same argument that lovers of previous Halo's wheel out everytime

No other Halo game breaks the VID like Halo 4 does. I am largely in favour of what 343 has been doing but I think there's room here to both criticise some of these changes and ask, politely, for a few words of explanation. Either in-game or in a book or even a Data Drop-esque story post on Waypoint.

daedalius

The thing about a TH playlist though, is that they're not going to be the 'official' competitive players settings. One of the biggest benefits of MLG having the monopoly on the competitive Halo scene was that any aspiring Halo pro could look to their settings as the benchmark, and if they became the best at those, they were effectively the best in the world. It unifies the 'hardcore' players. A Hardcore playlist would be a nebulous grey area between regular MM and true competitive settings. With MLG turning their back on Halo, it will become very difficult for 343 to nail what exactly are competitive settings to the hardcore crowd.

I think this is the part of your post that matters most.

Who is to say what 'competitive' settings are now? Personally, I am happy. MLG has a history of ripping everything interesting out of the game and boiling it down to 2 power weapons on a map and everyone with the same starting weapon all the time. I know some people find that entertaining, but I find it quite boring to watch, and given the precipitous drop in MLG's Halo viewership, I'd say some are inclined to agree.

kylej

Banned
MLG has a history of ripping everything interesting out of the game and boiling it down to 2 power weapons on a map and everyone with the same starting weapon all the time. I know some people find that entertaining, but I find it quite boring to watch, and given the precipitous drop in MLG's Halo viewership, I'd say some are inclined to agree.

So don't watch it and don't play it. Practically every other playlist has what you want.

Tawpgun

It seems like MLG gives no fucks about Halo currently to me.

Why do they deserve a playlist, or any exposure in general within the game?

Not when the playlist was invented. MLG Halo was still going good.

The Halo community within MLG is still very passionate about the game. And 343 AND Bungie have a huge amount of respect for them. To the point of giving them the access to early builds of Halo 4 for playtesting.

LOL, it's not too hard to bullshit up a few explanations like that. I mean official, canonised explanations.

These are the second string Jackals. There, canon explanation done.

Or they're angler fish with robo suits.

ibphwXU7wuBmtX.png

Risen

I love all the little dudes in chat ripping on a team getting steaked by some of the best players in the game... as if they would have given them a game lol.

On the contrary, I would argue that a Team Hardcore playlist without the MLG branding, with similar settings to whatever MLG/or other competitive communities do with some expanded gametypes and maps would do a better job to attract new players into hardcore competitive Halo.

daedalius

Not when the playlist was invented. MLG Halo was still going good.

The Halo community within MLG is still very passionate about the game. And 343 AND Bungie have a huge amount of respect for them. To the point of giving them the access to early builds of Halo 4 for playtesting.

So take their input, along with the other competitive communities, for the rules/settings for Team Hardcore.

FyreWulff

Yes MLG was great great to us, but that was years ago. The only antics they are pulling now is to get their former fans back for the launch of Halo 4 and the first event and cash in on that, besides that it will be deja vu of 2012 season past that. 343i has put more effort into the competitive community in the last 6 months than MLG themselves, think about that. Yes I'm somewhat pissy for them, but I have my reasons that are well known to censoring other Halo communities to publicity insulting us (or supporting those who do)

But Cyren, you just have to try! JUST TRY! Even though MS hands out broadcast licenses like they're candy.

They've switched from being a Halo community to taking their Halo fans for granted and just assume they'll get them from their quasi-monopoly. They've walked out the door and still get free advertising via the MLG playlists in both 3 and Reach. People should get together and start a new hardcore league. I'd be pissed if all they were using Halo 4 for was to get some eyes on them at launch and then just use it to sell more SC2 streams.

No other Halo game breaks the VID like Halo 4 does. I am largely in favour of what 343 has been doing but I think there's room here to both criticise some of these changes and ask, politely, for a few words of explanation. Either in-game or in a book or even a Data Drop-esque story post on Waypoint.
See I don't think it would satisfy me at all. I know the real reason they're doing it - because they think it's better and worthwhile.
But change like that which flies in the face of established canon weakens the canon that they try to hold to elsewhere.

Tawpgun

So take their input, along with the other competitive communities, for the rules/settings for Team Hardcore.

Could be an option, I'd be down for it.

But the point was, if MLG decides to support Halo again and creates official settings, I think an MLG playlist would be beneficial.

I'm not disagreeing with what you're asking for, I just think there's been a precedent for this sort of thing in other areas of the Halosphere, and when people have asked for explanations, they've got none.

Who is to say what 'competitive' settings are now? Personally, I am happy. MLG has a history of ripping everything interesting out of the game and boiling it down to 2 power weapons on a map and everyone with the same starting weapon all the time. I know some people find that entertaining, but I find it quite boring to watch, and given the precipitous drop in MLG's Halo viewership, I'd say some are inclined to agree.

That's my point though, love or hate the MLG monopoly and their settings, at least they were considered the settings which the entire competitive community revolved around. Think if you've got three different competitive leagues in Halo 4; you don't know who the best team is, only who the best team at those particular settings are.

CyReN

But Cyren, you just have to try! JUST TRY! Even though MS hands out broadcast licenses like they're candy.

They've switched from being a Halo community to taking their Halo fans for granted and just assume they'll get them from their quasi-monopoly. They've walked out the door and still get free advertising via the MLG playlists in both 3 and Reach. People should get together and start a new hardcore league.

The league idea is a lot of hard work, money, etc, especially now with Halo not as big as it once was in the competitive communities. MLG blocked out players/teams/sponsorships from entering other tourneys since the hay day so other dissolved since then, so there's really no where for Halo to turn to now. That's why a lot of people are trying to get this Arena Gaming going to show some support going into Halo 4 to hopefully "move on".

and for those that may think I'm mad about dropping Reach, it's not that but how it's been handled in possibly the worse way imaginable. They've locked out control of settings for their own Halo community they abandoned. So now we are stuck.

FyreWulff

I do respect Bungie they just don't care about the competitive community.

Yeah, they don't care about them. That's why they brought them in for every TU they did, and spent money and man hours giving them a playlist in both online games they had and even let them continually update it within reason.

I don't know how Bungie is supposed to be able to care more than that. They were at maximum care.

Ramirez

I do respect Bungie they just don't care about the competitive community.

Is that why they allowed MLG to implement its own playlist in 3 & Reach?

Statements like this is why most people view MLG & it's players/fanbase in a bad light. Just comes off as immature, with no thought behind the statement before posting it.

Risen

The league idea is a lot of hard work, money, etc, especially now with Halo not as big as it once was in the competitive communities. MLG blocked out players/teams/sponsorships from entering other tourneys since the hay day so other dissolved since then, so there's really no where for Halo to turn to now. That's why a lot of people are trying to get this Arena Gaming going to show some support going into Halo 4 to hopefully "move on".

and for those that may think I'm mad about dropping Reach, it's not that but how it's been handled in possibly the worse fashion. They've locked out control of settings for their own Halo community they abandoned.

Before Halo 50k wasn't there a Microsoft tourney in CE?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Now tell me why Grunts aren't arthropods anymore.

daedalius

Think if you've got three different competitive leagues in Halo 4; you don't know who the best team is, only who the best team at those particular settings are.

I think they could probably figure it out.

Its as if you're thinking 'competitive' settings would be wildly different. Oh no, faster speeds with radar on or off, crazy! Loadout weapons vs only BR starts, madness!

lilty

They didn't have to do it at all, you're being quite daft on the subject.

You're right. I just feel like MLG and competitive players were kind of ignored in some regards. I guess I should have worded my opinion differently.

It doesn't even matter now.

Beckx

Fyre: I just checked and no problems starting a download of the Xbox Originals version of Halo CE.

Buy game goes to "Download Again" which started just fine. I only let it go to about 2% because I don't want to take up the space.

Risen

That's well before my time, I started watching in early 05' (when I got highspeed internet) but I know there where a lot of tourneys.

Status Quo on now.

Seems like I remember a friend of mine competing and doing fairly well in some national CE FFA tournament that was put on initially by Microsoft which was just before Atlanta and Halo 50k... I've slept since then.

FyreWulff

and for those that may think I'm mad about dropping Reach, it's not that but how it's been handled in possibly the worse way imaginable. They've locked out control of settings for their own Halo community they abandoned. So now we are stuck.

I admit it'd be a lot of work but if you're not trying to be the NFL of gaming and just start in a small manageable way and build out, it has a pretty good chance of working.

And yes, it does suck that the community for a community playlist has been locked out of their own playlist because the management would rather string everyone else along for hits and publicity. The "You can't compete elsewhere if you want to compete in an MLG tournament" was and always has been some straight up anti-competitive bullshit, not just at the player level but the sponsor level to (so denying smaller leagues money) same reason why machinima authors should never sign up with Machinima (the youtube channel/site) who has even worse conditions.

Fyre: I just checked and no problems starting a download of the Xbox Originals version of Halo CE.

Buy game goes to "Download Again" which started just fine. I only let it go to about 2% because I don't want to take up the space.

I'll wait a while and try one more time to get it. Last time it got to about 80% and then errored out, can't burn up the bandwidth cap just trying to play Halo 1.

quoted just to avoid the bottom of the page blues

you're welcome, babe
<3

Who is to say what 'competitive' settings are now? Personally, I am happy. MLG has a history of ripping everything interesting out of the game and boiling it down to 2 power weapons on a map and everyone with the same starting weapon all the time. I know some people find that entertaining, but I find it quite boring to watch, and given the precipitous drop in MLGs Halo viewership, I'd say some are inclined to agree.
Disclaimer: I don't pay much attention to the competitive arena. I'm not even sure this post relates to the MLG/Halo topic at hand, but here are my feelings on the entire relationship.

When I first started playing Halo 2, I was very competitive. I played a lot of customs with MLG settings. But by time Halo 3 rolled around, I decided I only wanted to have fun, so I stopped playing MLG games. I even grew to dislike their gameplay decisions in Halo 3 and beyond.

I don't pay attention to the internal politics of MLG and Halo, but from what I've gathered from reading the posts of competitive players like Cyren and others, MLG hasn't been too kind to Halo in a while. Even going so far as ignoring it and abandoning it, which makes this latest poll put up by MLG all the more interesting and confusing. People are trying to make an organization support a game that, from my understanding, they've been actively shunning. It's somewhat understandable: It's easier to try to keep the competitive community alive through MLG because they have the organization, structure, and support. In layman's terms, it's easier to keep rolling with them.

But here's my maybe-overly-opitimistic view if Halo loses the poll: so what? If the demand and passion is there &#8211; the community is certainly there &#8211; competitive Halo will find a new outlet. I have confidence. And whatever playlist competitive players want will take care of itself.

My perception on things is probably wrong, so I'm ready to be ripped to shreds by the competitive players here.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I love all the little dudes in chat ripping on a team getting steaked by some of the best players in the game... as if they would have given them a game lol.

Psh, Snipedown and Dersky caught the D last night. No excuses! Lol

I want a Team Competitive Playlist. Mixed Objective and Slayer on specific midsized-small 4v4 maps. No radar, standard set of loadouts and standard maps. Let that be the standard, not MLG.

CyReN

For the people, how does it feel when a senior citizen slaps you in a video game?

The only thing you slap is the bengay on your wrist after we play.

I want a Team Competitive Playlist. Mixed Objective and Slayer on specific midsized-small 4v4 maps. No radar, standard set of loadouts and standard maps. Let that be the standard, not MLG.

THIS THIS THIS.

I will donate my free time to help if needed;)

daedalius

Sounds much better than a playlist branded with MLG.

FyreWulff

I really don't think implementing a playlist into their game cost them a lot of time and money at all.

Yeah, totally doesn't take any time or money. Which is why a 343 employee and the test team pulled late nights just to get one of the previous matchmaking updates out in 2011, when that month was scheduled to not originally have an update.

The Cartographers also generally have to have content ready to go -at the latest- 2 weeks before a MM update, although they prefer earlier, because of the lead times that updating playlists require. The process is complicated to the point that updates only occur once a month, with mid-month updates only executed in emergency cases. In very rare cases they've let us submit content to an update only a week before, and that was because it was an update to an existing map.

They have to pay the people that process the content submissions or changes, put them in, test and cert them, then deploy and stay in standby for anything that blew up when the update goes out.

And this is Reach. The Halo 3 and Halo 2 playlists updates took even more time and more manual changes to execute.

But sure, I'll go with your idea that all they do is load up a Custom Game lobby, switch a couple of settings, then upload it to a fileshare.

I can let it run and see if it gets to 100% if you need it.

Thanks for the offer, but not that important. I'll just go look for a cheap copy somewhere here in Vancouver, their Craigslist listings have a ton of stuff.

Booshka

A lot of competitive games that MLG supported then quickly abandoned were never revitalized by the community. It seems that the MLG community at large pretty much only follow whatever MLG is doing. Tons of people wanted Gears 1, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Shadowrun to stay on the circuit, but they never really tried to keep it alive themselves. With Gears 1 and Rainbow Six Vegas, they just waited for the sequel (which disappointed most) and forgot about getting the first game back on the circuit. With Shadowrun, the small community just dissolved and most of the old veterans moved on to something else. The rest just played online community tournaments and never had a legitimate shot to get it back on the circuit because of how niche the game is.

The same thing happened with previous Halo games, people would rather play Halo 3 than Halo Reach, Halo 2 rather than Halo 3, and Halo CE rather than Halo 2. But, they just rolled with whatever MLG did, and never really tried to change anything. Just complain for a few months and deal with it or move on to something else.

I don't think MLG Halo fans will let competitive Halo go away, like the Gears 1, Shadowrun and Rainbow Six Vegas communities let their games die, but it will take a lot of effort to get these MLG sheep to finally try to do something on their own.

That's what I want too.

A lot of competitive games that MLG supported then quickly abandoned were never revitalized by the community. It seems that the MLG community at large pretty much only follow whatever MLG is doing. Tons of people wanted Gears 1, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Shadowrun to stay on the circuit, but they never really tried to keep it alive themselves. With Gears 1 and Rainbow Six Vegas, they just waited for the sequel (which disappointed most) and forgot about getting the first game back on the circuit. With Shadowrun, the small community just dissolved and most of the old veterans moved on to something else. The rest just played online community tournaments and never had a legitimate shot to get it back on the circuit because of how niche the game is.

The same thing happened with previous Halo games, people would rather play Halo 3 than Halo Reach, Halo 2 rather than Halo 3, and Halo CE rather than Halo 2. But, they just rolled with whatever MLG did, and never really tried to change anything. Just complain for a few months and deal with it or move on to something else.

I don't think MLG Halo fans will let competitive Halo go away, like the Gears 1, Shadowrun and Rainbow Six Vegas communities let their games die, but it will take a lot of effort to get these MLG sheep to finally try to do something on their own.
Was MLG not the home for the competitive Halo scene? If you want to write something about the competitive part of Halo, you did it at MLG. Or was there any other big Competitive message board/site etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom