• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Don't know, don't care. I never liked Nylund's writing style or the things he wrote. Space time crystals, really?
Also, super nuclear-bombs, nukes igniting a gas giant? That's Star Wars stuff there, not something i think fit Halo (despite Halos themselves being superweapons, at least they're ancient alien weapons, not relatively low-tech human super weapons).

The Nova Bomb (supernuke) is a minivan-sized explosive that's basically a shitload of nukes duct-taped together in such a way that the harmonics of the nukes or something explode hard enough to blain entire planets.

The only time we've seen one in action was when it got stolen by the Covenant and an engineer fixed the detonator so that it could properly explode and a Grunt somehow reconnected the trigger (keep in mind neither of them did it aware that the other was fixing the bomb as well) scalding half the surface of a planet, melting a moon into oblivion, destroying nearly 300 Covenant ships AND killing Xytan 'Jar Wattinree, who was basically the Elite version of the Master Chief.

Yeah, Halo's backstories can get funky sometimes.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
So we won't be able to use Chief's armor in War Games, right? Other than Chief's armor I only ever used Security so I hope one of the 2 is in War Games.

Woorloog

Banned
Snip

Yeah, Halo's backstories can get funky sometimes.

Yeah, i know what happened. Fuck that. Ghost of Onyx was almost good but it had too many odd things, so in the end it is merely average franchise-based book. Still better than the First Strike...

I really should not have bought Glasslands, now that i'm commited to the trilogy, i feel i need to finish it even though i don't really care to.

EDIT hey Frankie, please clear up that season pass plus extra armors confusion, does the LE include the armors?

ragequitfu

6ZqGw.gif

OMG There is nothing better than seeing the Red Sox that pissed off, ROFL.

Also, the Scanner helmet doesn't look bad. It actually reminds me of one of the Reach concepts (below, 4th from the right) that I liked. Silly? Sure, to some... but I actually love the variety.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I just hope the armor doesn't have stupid additions for the sake of things to unlock. Unless I missed the memo, I never got the point of the thing you unlocked for the top of most helmets in reach.

Stuff like the top of this helmet:

and this...

What were those additions for (in canon)?

And going off on a tangent, I wonder how thursday war will tie into halo 4

I've been thinking more and more about this as well and keep getting excited for TTW. Must have NOW!

love that one, and hey, the new ones look good too, aside from the unicorn. locus especially. opinions man.

I love LOCUS as well sick. And I liked Reach's GUNGNIR as well (though partly because of the fiction behind it), but I prefer it with the breather plates (read: tech beard) attached.

EDIT: 

I just hope the armor doesn't have stupid additions for the sake of things to unlock. Unless I missed the memo, I never got the point of the thing you unlocked for the top of most helmets in reach.

Various uses if I'm not mistaken, I know a hardened uplink attachment were what some of them functioned as. Also, we asked about helmet attachments not long ago. No attachments, just skins (last question)

Woorloog

Banned

and this...

Up-armored versions. Essentially, extra armor plate. Don't ask.
Just nod your head and let it slide...

malfcn

I was thinking about HUDs. I know there is no chance, but it would be cool if the HUDs were slightly different for different helmet. Since not all of them have the 'iconic' mark xx visor, it would be very details to give each HUD a queue to their respective visor.

Kuroyume

Banned

and this...

Pretty sure those things had descriptions for their purpose. And if they didn't? Who cares? It's a game. It's supposed to be fun. Customize as you please. Really... This armor criticism is getting really stupid. Still going on about the lack of visors?

Aggrotek

Pretty sure those things had descriptions for their purpose. And if they didn't? Who cares? It's a game. It's supposed to be fun. Customize as you please. Really... This armor criticism is getting really stupid. Still going on about the lack of visors?

I don't understand it either. They all look futuristic and IMO really slick.

Myyke

Neo Member
Up-armored versions. Essentially, extra armor plate. Don't ask.
Just nod your head and let it slide...

Up-Armoured doesn't necessarily just mean an extra armour plate, just more protection.

For example, the below is an example of an "Up-Armoured" Stryker APC fitted with an RPG Cage. It isn't literally armour plating but it does increase the protection afforded to the vehicle, which is what the term means in real world use.

1558089430.jpg

Also the Recon helmet attachment made perfect sense to me - it looked functionally like a visor blast shield which you flip down to protect the visor, didn't think they needed to change it personally

Other than the Mark V, VI, Recon, and Security, all the Halo 3 helmets looked bad too. It's not like Halo has a history of a incredibly well designed armor and helmets.

Fuchsdh

Other than the Mark V, VI, Recon, and Security, all the Halo 3 helmets looked bad too. It's not like Halo has a history of a incredibly well designed armor and helmets.

I at least appreciated te more streamlined aesthetic that felt like you were a super soldier. The Reach armor looked chunky, unwieldly and slapdash in comparison.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Up-Armoured doesn't necessarily just mean an extra armour plate, just more protection.

For example, the below is an example of an "Up-Armoured" Stryker APC fitted with an RPG Cage. It isn't literally armour plating but it does increase the protection afforded to the vehicle, which is what the term means in real world use.

1558089430.jpg

Also the Recon helmet attachment made perfect sense to me - it looked functionally like a visor blast shield which you flip down to protect the visor, didn't think they needed to change it personally

Hey, that's my old vehicle.

Actually, this is, complete with my warplow.

22757_1325285503171_8287013_n.jpg

197429_1008384420842_9469_n.jpg

We actually did get blown up going to Baghdad, lol.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Well yeah, I'm not upset or anything, I just think the plates on top of the head look really bad. They don't fit in with the armor at all.

Well yeah, I'm not upset or anything, I just think the plates on top of the head look really bad. They don't fit in with the armor at all.
Looks like a retractable visor to me. I'm indifferent on the armor, personally. It's all cosmetic anyway. So, in that regard, they might as well go crazy and let armor permutations rain from the sky.

Louis Wu

I'm disappointed that both IGN and Eurogamer have taken what is likely a throwaway, casual comment by Ellis and made articles out of it. I mean... it probably IS longer than ODST - but folks are going to point to these articles and give 343 shit when they whip through 50 missions in 5 minutes each (even though that will NOT be the experience the majority of us have).

TCKaos

OMG There is nothing better than seeing the Red Sox that pissed off, ROFL.

Also, the Scanner helmet doesn't look bad. It actually reminds me of one of the Reach concepts (below, 4th from the right) that I liked. Silly? Sure, to some... but I actually love the variety.

I like that design, too. It looks like an actual piece of equipment (like some kind of rangefinder or some such) is actually attached to his helmet. The Scanner looks more like someone strapped a CD-Rom drive to his face. It's just a thing that pops out of his head like a brick. Maybe it looks better in-game, but that picture just doesn't look right.

Also, Dolan and Gooby love Megabloks.

I'm disappointed that both IGN and Eurogamer have taken what is likely a throwaway, casual comment by Ellis and made articles out of it. I mean... it probably IS longer than ODST - but folks are going to point to these articles and give 343 shit when they whip through 50 missions in 5 minutes each (even though that will NOT be the experience the majority of us have).

I almost feel bad for NOKYARD and speedrunners. They probably haven't had a single Halo campaign that's been over an hour long.

Woorloog

Banned
Still want a confirmation Strider and Scanner helmets are included in the Limited Edition.

Wonder how long it will take before "game journalism" will be quality stuff.

Top Bottom