• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Did I ever say how much I love you?

mEVRW.png

FyreWulff

I believe so. Not sure on deets, given that a lot of those artists are on different labels it gets complex.

As an aside on soundtracks, has it ever been considered to release some music for Rock Band? You did it for Guitar Hero 3 but considering how Harmonix and MS are the broest of bros, I would think we'd get some full band love eventually.

But then again, I probably could begin to understand the rights clusterfuck behind the guest tracks like Blow Me Away, etc

Slightly off-topic: are there any girls beyond Devo that frequent HaloGAF? Trying to get a female "casted" (getting their avatar pasted over Dare's head, possibly a few lines, etc. just like how Team Downer are the Brutes) for a bit in the HaloGAF video but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. On the flip side, if anyone just wants to be Dare it's first come first serve.

Give me something HaloGAF-related to draw too, bonus points for creativity.

this is some good gameplay. it really shows how useful thruster is. also showed him only getting one ordinance in the game, and he kinda had to work for it a little, the scattershot looks great, the carbine looks great, the map looks great, everything looks great from this video. (except the custom game UI of course)

EDIT: oh and sticky detonator looks like shit

In some parts of the video the screen suddenly turns white, why?

thruster pack

Kibbles

Someone should upload a clip to like mediafire or something from a cam that captures in 60fps. Ship me to Fan Expo.

I understood perfectly well, and I will say again that the concept you have put forth does not behave well with the concept of the laser because of its consequences on a huge part of the sandbox. That is why I asked for a comparable impact of a power weapon on a part of the sandbox as the laser has on vehicles. Because, if I am correct, there is none, and so it's not just like any other power weapon.

Nobody would be arguing against this concept if we were talking about rockets because their impact on vehicles is far more limited. Same goes for the sniper, or the shotgun, or the sword... There's no dynamic with another power weapon that is comparable to the laser because you're essentially fighting the outcome of two battles that should be separate.

Edit: Essentially, a lot of people in this thread think the laser holds too many consequence on a part of the sandbox that is much too large for weapon.

Edit 2: Nobody in here, I don't think, would disagree with the concept of "whoever fights and wins for a power weapon should have its advantages." When getting into specifics, though, people think the laser's advantages are far too great, and that's where we run into disagreements.
I see what you are saying but each power weapon has a purpose, the lasers purpose is to destroy vehicles. Also you only get 4 shots.

I've always liked what I've seen of the Carbine from the E3 build. If I remember correctly, though, the Carbine has been "nerfed" since this build, so I'm interested in seeing the fan reaction to the latest iteration. Hopefully people like biggy and Domino, whom I think have toyed with the gun before, can comment on the changes and say if it's still distinctive enough to be a viable primary weapon.

The sensor upgrade seems to buff radar range to 50m... is normal for Halo 4 still 25m?

Just checked the Fan Expo vid with the sword... looks like standard radar is inside 30m. Not a bad buff. Not exactly 50%, but enough to make a difference.

-defending the Laser-

Just wanted to say thank you :] Sadly I missed that whole damn conversation... but pretty much agree with most of the stuff you said. There are much better ways to balance something other than just shitting on it and/or removing it completely..

Is there (or will there be) a legal way to purchase Halo 4 Original Soundtrack [Vol. 2]: Didactic Boogaloo: R3C0NF1GUR3D's tracks without the $75 limited edition OST?

Tron Legacy baby! That Daft Punk R3C0NF1GUR3D album was legit.

Nice, now hopefully it won't end up like the Halo 3 Beta Carbine.

kylej

Banned
Slightly off-topic: are there any girls beyond Devo that frequent HaloGAF? Trying to get a female "casted" (getting their avatar pasted over Dare's head, possibly a few lines, etc. just like how Team Downer are the Brutes) for a bit in the HaloGAF video but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. On the flip side, if anyone just wants to be Dare it's first come first serve.

Give me something HaloGAF-related to draw too, bonus points for creativity.

Booties has man tits. that close enough?

I see what you are saying but each power weapon has a purpose, the lasers purpose is to destroy vehicles. Also you only get 4 shots.
Hm. I've been talking about the laser as it was in Halo 3, which had five shots, since one GAFer (Munish, I think) said it was more like that than the version in Reach, even though the one in 4 has four (I think). Apologies for not articulating that point. In Halo 3, yes, you only had five shots, but those five shots were always easy to make.

I understand your point about a weapon's purpose, but even coming from that angle, we're still going to run into the nature of our disagreement. I, and many other here, think the laser is too good for, or rather too easy to carry out, its purpose. As a result its advantages are too large, and the consequences that come with it are too great. In fact, it is so good at its purpose, it's also a very good anti-infantry weapon as a result. Almost comparable to that of the sniper in its effectiveness from long range. I don't think any other power weapon in Halo is this dynamic.

Rockets? Very easy to eliminate enemies and vehicles at close range. Anything beyond that is a Hail Mary shot.

Sniper? Good at long range, harder to use in close range, and not so good against vehicles.

Missile pod? Despite its lock-on feature, I always though it was harder to use than the laser. It can be used against infantry, but I don't think anyone would argue it's as effective as the laser in this regard.

I don't think I need to address the sword or the shotgun.

I've always liked what I've seen of the Carbine from the E3 build. If I remember correctly, though, the Carbine has been "nerfed" since this build, so I'm interested in seeing the fan reaction to the latest iteration. Hopefully people like biggy and Domino, whom I think have toyed with the gun before, can comment on the changes and say if it's still distinctive enough to be a viable primary weapon.
Domino suggested to me and Heck to use the BR instead of the DMR, so his opinions are pretty bad. :p
The gunplay looks so good to me in this game, I really hope the other stuff doesn't bring it down to an unplayable mess.

That's why I'm pretty excited for the game. The pile of possibly shitty AA's and perks could be pretty high, but the core gunplay looks very good.

Every time I watch a video of Halo 4, I already miss the grenade launcher.

Is the magazine size on the pistol as much as the one in Reach or more?

Same mag size as Reach, but now it takes more shots to kill apparently!

As for thruster, there was more recent footage in one of the wrap-up videos, and the thruster now goes into third-person.

G17

That's why I'm pretty excited for the game. The pile of possibly shitty AA's and perks could be pretty high, but the core gunplay looks very good.

Every time I watch a video of Halo 4, I already miss the grenade launcher.

That's why at PAX I think a few members here should try comparing each support package (ie. difference AA efficiency makes for recharge time, shield recharge time, and radar range) so that we know once and for all if these support packages are "shitty" or only minor advantages. Because we haven't had an analysis on these perks/support packages yet.

As for AA's the only one I am worried about from what we've seen is the thruster+sword combo or having the shield recharge support package+thruster for the occasions you may be able to escape.

That's why at PAX I think a few members here should try comparing each support package (ie. difference AA efficiency makes for recharge time, shield recharge time, and radar range) so that we know once and for all if these support packages are "shitty" or only minor advantages. Because we haven't had an analysis on these perks/support packages yet.

As for AA's the only one I am worried about from what we've seen is the thruster+sword combo.

Default sprint...

I love thruster. The only AA that really bothered me was HLS, slows down the game too much for my liking.

As for AA's the only one I am worried about from what we've seen is the thruster+sword combo or having the shield recharge support package+thruster for the occasions you may be able to escape.

I and I'm sure others will try to give as detailed of info as possible, but stuff like how significant the perks effects are is probably going to be difficult to give precise info on.

The AA's I'm worried about are the ones that we haven't seen in action yet (regen, jetpack, and of course the ultra-dreaded camo).

:/

Could have sworn they said it does now.

I believe we've seen the thruster in 3rd person in a video. Can't remember which video though.

Ohh maybe you guys are thinking of this? - 3rd Person Thruster

Hopefully there will be more testing this time around by people.. I wantz me some AR/Storm Rifle footage! I want to see good players try to use these automatics as their primary in a match against BRs, DMRs and Carbines.

feel

Domino suggested to me and Heck to use the BR instead of the DMR, so his opinions are pretty bad. :p
The DMR has some sort of bloom, that's a big "EEEEWWWWWWWWWW" towards that weapon out of principle, at least initially.

Nice shadow on the wall 1 minute in.
Realized while making the gif that it's actually from the second player that jumps in, pretty far away. But the other one doesn't have a shadow then? Weird.
jbk.gif

The first line on this new Wii U thread made me laugh pretty hard:
Welcome to the next generation of gaming.

Top Bottom