• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Homeboyd

Hey does anyone have any Halo/xbox related XBL codes for things like avatars, props, or even 48 hour live codes, etc that you're not planning on using? Anything would be awesome. I can discuss what it's for via PM as it isn't for me personally. Let me know if you have anything at all.

Thank you.
Anyone?

:/

DeadNames

Banned
An apparently controversial idea incoming:

What if they made the automatics available as secondaries as well? I mean really, who the heck is going to use the Firepower mod so you can use an AR as your secondary instead of another precision weapon? The automatics are probably going to be overlooked yet again if they're not buffed at all..

I'll reserve further judgment when we actually get some decent automatics footage though.

I've heard nothing but praise for the AR... The storm rifle, not so much. Some people might want to use an AR for close quarters, and having it as a secondary would be a bit overpowered.

My PAX flight is just two days away, but now I'm looking at train tickets to NYC for the launch party... I think it's doable, assuming there are other HaloGaffers going to party with.

So I got around to watching the carbinelicious video linked by Cyren earlier. Probably the first gameplay video I've seen that really shows off the thruster AA - it looks good.

heckfu

Banned
My PAX flight is just two days away, but now I'm looking at train tickets to NYC for the launch party... I think it's doable, assuming there are other HaloGaffers going to party with.

I WAS until I got this new job at the hospital. Won't know until I get a firm schedule worked out.

I've heard nothing but praise for the AR... The storm rifle, not so much. Some people might want to use an AR for close quarters, and having it as a secondary would be a bit overpowered.

Honestly. i feel like a lot of the stigma of Automatics being bad came from MLG saying that it takes no skill to use.

willow ve

I was referring more to how he discusses his general strats and whatnot.

Yeah, I agree that his strategy and gameplay analysis is decent, but a LARGE portion of it boils down to "go into a playlist with a full party of experienced players with mics... then dump on the randoms that are forced into the playlist"

Overpowered? How would that be different from past Halo games? I was going to type a detailed post here about automatics and their perceived effectiveness, but I'll save that thought for once we get more info as I'm sure no one wants to read my tiresome rant to improve the image of automatics in Halo lol

DeadNames

Banned
Honestly. i feel like a lot of the stigma of Automatics being bad came from MLG saying that it takes no skill to use.

I saw a Reach clip of a guy who barely had his reticule on a guy spray his AR down at the guy. He got the kill. So people can say the Automatics take minimal skill, but not no skill.

willow ve

Saw 4 copies of Halo Reach Limited Edition on clearance today at Target. $23.98 - worth it?

edit: meh nevermind - only $31 on Amazon... so not really a good deal unless you could get someone to buy it off you on Glyde or other services.

Wonder if the rumours of Halo 4 really having a "limited" edition are true. Has any retailer sold out of the limited edition yet for preorders? Or will we be able to find it six months after launch for 50% off?

Slaker117

Anyone else feel like the Cryptum Sphere in Halo 4 looks like it could be the "Shield & Sword" emblem we've seen in Forerunner architecture for years now, just from a different angle?

This guy?
Main-Forerunner.png

I can see what you're getting at, but the lines on the Cryptum seem more complicated. They clearly share an aesthetic, though I doubt it's the same.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really, really want Madden 13, but if I get it, I'll feel so dumb when it goes for like $15 when the playoffs start.

ross10877

Neo Member
I hope they nerf it in Halo 4 so it does something that significiantly reduces the apex tactical advantage.
I hope they nerf it because it breaks mulitplayer maps. Spawn, fly straight up and towards the middle and start shooting. Takes away from any good map design.

ABf5I.png
jcj3G.png

Backstage at a GameStop Managers Event today.

Master Chief watching Master Chief. META.

Looks like they were showing off the desert level.

Bonus Warthog pic.

tFk1O.png

I wonder if any details will leak out from this event before PAX..that is if they showed anything new. Awesome pics one way or another!

It still has the most fully featured HDR, but the tradeoff of 640p rustled too many gamer's jimmies

Its a shame they didn't try to push more polys with Halo 3, Im sure it would have helped it look a lot better.

I believe so. Not sure on deets, given that a lot of those artists are on different labels it gets complex.
Good to hear.

Oh man, I hope it hasn't been nerfed too bad since then..

FyreWulff

Its a shame they didn't try to push more polys with Halo 3, Im sure it would have helped it look a lot better.

I think they would have if they could have but that version of the Halo engine was topped out by what they did in 3 and ODST. Their massive improvements in Reach, especially the imposter system, let them do a lot of neat shit that would have been impossible in 3 or they would have had to do a matte painting with models in front of it like 3 had to do in a couple of spots.

Even the very first scene in Reach, where you're riding in on the Falcon? 3 couldn't do that with that level of detail.

I think they would have if they could have but that version of the Halo engine was topped out by what they did in 3 and ODST. Their massive improvements in Reach, especially the imposter system, let them do a lot of neat shit that would have been impossible in 3 or they would have had to do a matte painting with models in front of it like 3 had to do in a couple of spots.

Even the very first scene in Reach, where you're riding in on the Falcon? 3 couldn't do that.

Ultimately, I think they mismanaged their focus of the engine for Halo 3, making some parts of the game beautiful, but overall underwhelming for most. Its clear with the massive improvements that Reach brought at the sacrifice of Halo 3's HDR really helped the game visually, though Reach is a little too absent of lighting solutions at times. I found Halo 3 to be a visually underwhelming game, but ODST really utilized the engine and looked good despite the engine limitations IMO.

FyreWulff

Ultimately, I think they mismanaged their focus of the engine for Halo 3, making some parts of the game beautiful, but overall underwhelming for most. Its clear with the massive improvements that Reach brought at the sacrifice of Halo 3's HDR really helped the game visually, though Reach is a little too absent of lighting solutions at times. I found Halo 3 to be a visually underwhelming game, but ODST really utilized the engine and looked good despite the engine limitations IMO.

Yeah, I loved ODST because it was a beautiful swan song for the Halo 3 version of the engine. It was like the DLC graphical bump multiplayer maps usually got, but for the first time, also for a campaign. Especially that last level on the highway. That sunset/flooded sky look, the carrier appearing in the clouds and then strafes the city... amazing. Then of course, dmiller had to top himself by having multiple carriers jump into New Alexandria and start glassing it in Reach :lol

But it really was the first time a Covenant capital ship actually INTERACTED with the world you were in. In Halo 1, there was one, but it was scenery (and seemed a bit.. underscaled from the outside). Halo 2 they were all painted into the skybox for most of the game and were barely noticeable in the first level as one flew by. ODST's glassing moment was so suprising because it was the first time one of them actually DID anything while you were playing.

I hope 4 has those moments where something effin' big like that interacts with the world you are in.

edit:

The matte cruiser that always annoyed me in Halo 2 was the one on Delta Halo/Regret:

G06HNl.jpg

It's just so obviously painted in that I wish they had omitted it. Took me out of the game for a bit when I saw it.

Top Bottom