• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

I hope they've actually made it possible to swap them out while you're alive this time.

meh.ro7434.jpg

My opinion on Cortana's new model - They obviously have made major improvements to character models across the board, which from what we have seen recently from the in game cutscenes, is some of the best work in the industry in this aspect. Cortana needed a new model to not look out of place, and she got the same treatment the other character models did, a realistic but stylized design. She looks like the digital form of a real woman. Yes she has curves but there is nothing ultra sexual about her. They didn't give her huge breasts or a big ass, pigtails or even a sexual pose. Just a real woman in digital form.

This reminds me of one of the big problems I have with AAs in Reach, you're stuck with it after you choose it. If they're so adamant about keeping AAs, I hope they've actually made it possible to swap them out while you're alive this time.

Maybe in the form of a tactical package that allows you to switch your AA once per life? Or as an ordnance reward?

u4iX

This reminds me of one of the big problems I have with AAs in Reach, you're stuck with it after you choose it. If they're so adamant about keeping AAs, I hope they've actually made it possible to swap them out while you're alive this time.

If you pick up grenades with an armor mod now... Maybe there will be a mod that will allow you to pick up armor abilities?

Would be neat.

Maybe in the form of a tactical package that allows you to switch your AA once per life? Or as an ordnance reward?
I just hate the blind commitment you had to put into what ability you want with no way of knowing what you're up against, and the only way of changing that is through death. Like weapons, I should be able to take an AA from a corpse.

mhi

Actually you could pick up and switch AAs in Reach campaign as well as some of the multiplayer gametypes.

Blueblur1

- CTF changes were not explained at all aside from "more teamwork!".
- Oddball throwing looks like it could be abused to hell and back.
- Fuck off with your Grifball.
- A Banshee, Tank and two Gauss Hogs on a relatively small map seems like overkill.
- I wish the announcer would shut up already. And when he does say something he should calm the fuck down.
- There's a shitload of weapons in the game but no sight of the Grenade Launcher...
- Ruh roh
- As much as I liked the campaign vidoc they should have really just done a multiplayer one instead.
- Please don't encourage Warthog driver to try and get splatters, that's exactly what they shouldn't do because that shit will get you killed.
I agree with all of these things.

Actually you could pick up and switch AAs in Reach campaign as well as some of the multiplayer gametypes.
The functionality was there, but it wasn't used very well. Even in the rare opportunities that you could switch out in campaign it wasn't a matter of choosing a playstyle or wanting to try a new approach, it was extremely limited. Like the Armour Lock you can find near the end of Winter Contingency, it's only good for that single encounter, and when you lock the doors and trigger the cutscene you're given Sprint for the end section of the level.

And outside of Jetpack in MLG, I don't think it was ever implemented in anything competitive in MP. It wasn't very well thought out.

Those were an earlier concept of Knights? Weird, their size and design form looks more distant alien-ish looking for Halo. Thanks GAF.
They have shown early concept arts of the MasterChief, Cortana and the Promethean Knight. The pic you posted is not really an artwork. It isn't a screenshot either. The picture shows what 343 wanted to archieve in-game.

Edit.: Which is the definition of a concept art.

Flipyap

My opinion on Cortana's new model - They obviously have made major improvements to character models across the board, which from what we have seen recently from the in game cutscenes, is some of the best work in the industry in this aspect. Cortana needed a new model to not look out of place, and she got the same treatment the other character models did, a realistic but stylized design. She looks like the digital form of a real woman. Yes she has curves but there is nothing ultra sexual about her. They didn't give her huge breasts or a big ass, pigtails or even a sexual pose. Just a real woman in digital form.
It might not be big, but they gave her a VERY naked ass.

Halo 3's Cortana basically wore a digital thong, but it somehow didn't make her look as sexualized as what we have now (or maybe she was just REALLY bad at using digital toilet paper)

I don't know if the breasts are bigger, but they're now detailed enough to move the design from "stylized representation of a naked female body" to "hell yes, you can wank to this, space cowboy".
I do think she looks nice, but I don't think it's the right kind of nice for this character. It's distracting and coupled with her new fragile, victim-like demeanor it just makes the whole design appear creepier than it probably should. It no longer looks like her chosen form, a statement and extension of her personality. Now it looks like she was designed for your pleasure.

u4iX

I'd hate to pour salt this early on a lovely Sunday morning but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJOhe_uT0i4

"We've been working closely with the Griffball teams..."
-Kevin Franklin

You should have asked any team of four that's ever played Team Objective about CTF and if there should AT LEAST be the option to play traditional CTF where the flag can be dropped and picked up, just as in previous installments of the storied Halo franchise.

I'd hate to pour salt this early on a lovely Sunday morning but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJOhe_uT0i4

"We've been working closely with the Griffball teams..."
-Kevin Franklin

You should have asked any team of four that's ever played Team Objective about CTF and if there should AT LEAST be the option to play traditional CTF where the flag can be dropped and picked up, just as in previous installments of the storied Halo franchise.

Erm... MLG had priority all throughout E3. I think it's only fair that they get some attention too.

u4iX

Erm... MLG had priority all throughout E3. I think it's only fair that they get some attention too.

There was only Infinity Slayer, Team Slayer, and Regicide playable bruh.

Not to mention only, what, 3 AAs usable, and about 1/3 of the weapon sandbox usable as well?

CyReN

MLG players played a early version of a beta and worked on a strategy guide, Griffball got a entire mode, map, weapon, etc dedicated to them. With all that too how will people watch these matches if you put all that time into them? Some bandwidth could have been awesome with spectator mode.

u4iX

Can someone gif the mid-air catch near the end? Loving the trails.

It was sick; I think it'll really play great for Oddball too.

Oddball is my favorite gametype, and it just hasn't been the same since Halo 2.

I just think the flag option to play traditional style should be there.

That being said, I think the two things I'd like to see changed to the current flag system is to not have a constant waypoint over the flag carriers head and not having the flag be auto pick up.

so I know this was posted yesterday, but was this talked about during the PAX panel? people seemed to think it was concept art because the UI is different but I think it looks very much in game and matches the rendering and lighting of the other in game character models have. I'm thinking its not an earlier concept of a PromKnight but instead Promethean Warrior class like someone else stated

TCKaos

Mark V/VI will probably be the last unlockable, like the Marathon helmet in Halo 3

I'm still hoping for them to be Waypoint related. Beating the various games on Legendary or some such should unlock the whole suit and 100%ing them should unlock a new armor skin.

It was sick; I think it'll really play great for Oddball too.

Oddball is my favorite gametype, and it just hasn't been the same since Halo 2.

I just think the flag option to play traditional style should be there.

That being said, I think the two things I'd like to see changed to the current flag system is to not have a constant waypoint over the flag carriers head and not having the flag be auto pick up.

Outside of the MM environment, I am very excited to see what kind of awesomeness the community comes up in terms of custom, wacky content.

Namely, people like Petetheduck and Darth Human.

So this confirms two things, right?

1 - The armor the Master Chief is wearing is not Mark VI.
2 - Mark VI is going to be available in the armory to some extent.

We saw Mark VI yesterday. Also Chief has Mark VI, but it is upgraded by Cortana.
Ellis or someone said not to expect it from Waypoint til next week, we have to rely on another site to upload it.
He said next week yesterday, so we will get it this week some time probably.

MLG players played a early version of a beta and worked on a strategy guide, Griffball got a entire mode, map, weapon, etc dedicated to them. With all that too how will people watch these matches if you put all that time into them? Some bandwidth could have been awesome with spectator mode.

They already had the game-type. The map is a forge world environment, and which weapon did they get exactly?

CyReN

What was the reason for MLG not keeping Oddball for Reach?

We don't have no bloom oddball variants.

edit: dammit jazzy.

They already had the game-type. The map is a forge world environment, and which weapon did they get exactly?

Did they confirm thats a new forge world environment? my point being is it sucks that they got this kind of exclusivity with their mode and I'm salty with just a strategy guide that no competitive player will get. I wasn't mad about spectator mode not being in until Franklin uttered those words at the panel.

u4iX

The Hammer isn't "canon" for the game since no brutes will be in the story mode, and the Sword got gametype specific functionality in that if you kill the griffball carrier with it, you automatically take the ball from that player.

Slaker117

so I know this was posted yesterday, but was this talked about during the PAX panel? people seemed to think it was concept art because the UI is different but I think it looks very much in game and matches the rendering and lighting of the other in game character models have. I'm thinking its not an earlier concept of a PromKnight but instead Promethean Warrior class like someone else stated

They stated that this was a concept image used to express what things should look like in game with no ambiguity. If somebody coding shaders needs to know what the metal should look like, they would point to this and say "make it look like that".

eeblogue

Neo Member
Oddball could become a massive troll fest if there is no way to avoid catching the ball if it’s thrown perfectly at you. Close quarter 1v1 situations where one player has the ball could turn into a game of how much damage you can do to the opponent before they toss the ball back at you. The most frustrating thing could be the people that throw you the ball while you’re in the middle of a fight ultimately causing your death, they clean your kill up and pick the ball back up and repeat.

The Hammer isn't "canon" for the game since no brutes will be in the story mode, and the Sword got gametype specific functionality in that if you kill the griffball carrier with it, you automatically take the ball from that player.

The hammer is going to be in the campaign and Frankie said he couldn't say why because of spoilers.

Spoilers, spoilers everywhuuuurrrr, where is the pic with John and the arbiter meme when you need it.

Finally see the Vidoc, It give more hype to play the Campaign first and I know Serina was a little sexualized in Halo Wars but that Cortana model....

mbcwC.jpg

She even gain new legs and a "moe" personality, And is me or they reduced some quality model with the Elites (The elite thrown by the elevator have less polygons than the first time).

u4iX

Oddball could become a massive troll fest if there is no way to avoid catching the ball if it’s thrown perfectly at you. Close quarter 1v1 situations where one player has the ball could turn into a game of how much damage you can do to the opponent before they toss the ball back at you. The most frustrating thing could be the people that throw you the ball while you’re in the middle of a fight ultimately causing your death, they clean your kill up and pick the ball back up and repeat.

Halo 1 Oddball worked similarly in close quarters, but only because you could drop the ball, not huck it across the map.

With the throwing, it would be hilarious to save a teammate getting rushed by a shotgun user by throwing the ball at him and making him pick up the oddball.

It's hardly special functionality. Player with bomb dies, auto-pickup gives you the bomb. A line of code would assert that the player who sliced the bomb-carrier gets the bomb, but that's hardly a big deal.

Did they confirm thats a new forge world environment? my point being is it sucks that they got this kind of exclusivity with their mode and I'm salty with just a strategy guide that no competitive player will get. I wasn't mad about spectator mode not being in until Franklin uttered those words at the panel.

Kevin Franklin said:
This is a very small portion of a forge map. There's, uh... an entire - [sighs and commotion as a controller dies] - Haha, there's a big world outside!! In addition to this... empty... [interupted as controller is dealt with]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFALWdo4fOo&feature=player_detailpage#t=37s

u4iX

It's hardly special functionality. Player with bomb dies, auto-pickup gives you the bomb. A line of code would assert that the player who sliced the bomb-carrier gets the bomb, but that's hardly a big deal.

So would say... allowing players to drop the flag also be that easy?

Playing devil's advocate at this point, but I think you see what I'm trying to say.

Yes. They said that it was a small portion of the new forge environment and that there was much more outside.

That's pretty cool, except it's still gray... Hope the outside is like, purple or something.

They have shown early concept arts of the MasterChief, Cortana and the Promethean Knight. The pic you posted is not really an artwork. It isn't a screenshot either. The picture shows what 343 wanted to archieve in-game.

Edit.: Which is the definition of a concept art.
Ah okay. Took me a bit to be clarified, Thanks Hyper.

Edit: Cortanas design really took a deep realistic perspective of humanity. But her current state of rampancy is a conflict of her image she portrays. Just stating the irony 343 mentioned in the video.

Top Bottom