• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

HaloGAF, it's been fun, but I'm going to unsubscribe until I've beaten Halo 4. I've already had too much spoiled for me, and I'm not even hyped for the game. :lol

See you starside.

Tweet me when you need me.

m23

MLG players played a early version of a beta and worked on a strategy guide, Griffball got a entire mode, map, weapon, etc dedicated to them. With all that too how will people watch these matches if you put all that time into them? Some bandwidth could have been awesome with spectator mode.

I'm pretty sure MLG players will get their own gametypes and playlists like always. Maybe not at launch but you will.

The Hammer isn't "canon" for the game since no brutes will be in the story mode, and the Sword got gametype specific functionality in that if you kill the griffball carrier with it, you automatically take the ball from that player.
I do not think the Gravity Hammer was put in the game only for Griffball...

serena.JPG

2048-halo-4-cortana-hd-800x600-1.jpg

343i Did good work getting cortana looking like she does. When you consider HW cutscenes are all pre rendered by an insanely talented CGI studio.

u4iX

I'm pretty sure MLG players will get their own gametypes and playlists like always. Maybe not at launch but you will.

In order for competitive Halo to gain popularity and for leagues like MLG to have the stream viewership to justify having the game on their circuit, the gametypes need to be more universally accepted.

This is a change that the uninvested or purposefully positive players tend to get in line with. I think any player that's played a previous Halo title would raise and eyebrow at this change. They may not be vocal about it, but they're certainly not in a class saying "Yes, this is exactly what Halo's CTF mode needed. I'm glad this change occurred."

This change is just causing more rifts and divides within a community that's suffered from rifts and divides. The connotations about MLG players, Griffball players, casual players, Big Team Battle players, and so on and so forth aren't good for garnering a healthy, thriving community.

Flipyap

so I know this was posted yesterday, but was this talked about during the PAX panel? people seemed to think it was concept art because the UI is different but I think it looks very much in game and matches the rendering and lighting of the other in game character models have. I'm thinking its not an earlier concept of a PromKnight but instead Promethean Warrior class like someone else stated
No way. It's a near-perfect match for the Promethean Knight concept art.
It's also clearly mechanical and not an armor and oversized human could wear. Actual Promethean were described as massive, with limbs the size of tree trunks... which, I guess this thing kind of does, but that description should imply mass, not length. This thing is a robot skeleton. Heh.

Straightened the picture, because why not:

uS9kF.jpg

I like this design SO MUCH, it bums me out. The final Prom Bot designs are the main reason I can't force myself to get excited about playing the game. I don't want to spend a whole game looking at them and their stupid robot puppies.
They should release a picture of the old design doing the stupid skull thing, so I could stop liking it, too.

nillapuddin

The Hammer isn't "canon" for the game since no brutes will be in the story mode,

computer. simulation.

Im not trying to be rude here but come on already,

all this (blah blah mp is canon but isn't) stuff is dumb

dude it doesn't matter, I mean really, if your being "salty" over the inclusion of the grav hammer, your just doing it for the heck of it.

Every time there is news you like freak out with salt then a day later you rationalize things and are okay, why not just skip the first step?

u4iX

computer. simulation.

Im not trying to be rude here but come on already,

all this (blah blah mp is canon but isn't) stuff is dumb

dude it doesn't matter, I mean really, if your being "salty" over the inclusion of the grav hammer, your just doing it for the heck of it.

Every time there is news you like freak out with salt then a day later you rationalize things and are okay, why not just skip the first step?

They said it'd be in campaign.

You think I'm talking about the fact that there's a gravity hammer?

You're silly.

mhi

Oddball is definately doing to be 'odd' now.

FFA is out of the question as everyone is just gonna throw it as far as they can b4 you kill them.
I think the ball should only be catchable by teamates and shoud kill enemies if you nail them with it.

m23

Eli needs to make another video, his excitement for the game definitely got me excited as well, even with some of the weird changes.

Whelp, flag melee is a 1 hit kill. Start at 5:38
This takes me back many pages to the "Why wouldn't you want sprint in the game? Just because other games have it?"

When I think about traditional CTF in Halo with sprint, I start wondering how you'd balance that. Sure, over the last few games they've gimped the flag carrier but even if you give him normal movement speed having everyone else sprinting around really fucks you over. So why not give him sprint as well? Well, then it turns the flag into a faux-power weapon, maybe no insane sword range, but having a dude sprint at you with the flag and kill you instantly seems wrong.

Though I guess that's not the case either way here, with faster than normal speed but no sprint with magical infinite ammo magnum out of nowhere.

nillapuddin

You think I'm talking about the fact that there's a gravity hammer?

You're silly.

But... But.. But, what

The Hammer isn't "canon" for the game since no brutes will be in the story mode,

That was.. exactly what you were talking about?

It's to early in the morning for you to take me on a wild goose chase,

Everyone (not @ you) just needs to stow the whole
"mp is supposedly canon but this isn't canon garble garble garble"

At the end of the day gameplay changes prevail

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
More people play Griffball than competitive Halo. Therefore Griffball IS competitive Halo. Welcome.

u4iX

But... But.. But, what

That was.. exactly what you were talking about?

It's to early in the morning for you to take me on a wild goose chase,

Everyone (not @ you) just needs to stow the whole
"mp is supposedly canon but this isn't canon garble garble garble"

At the end of the day gameplay changes prevail

If you're taking that out of context like that, sure, we're talking about the gravity hammer... but if you'd follow the entire thread of conversation it was about 343i working closely with the Griffball community to make sure their gametype played well and played correctly.

More people play Griffball than competitive Halo. Therefore Griffball IS competitive Halo. Welcome.
I like what I saw of the Grifball stuff, seemed like a logical progression of what it was. Giving the sword a more dedicated role, adding more dynamism to the ball, having the ball reset after scoring instead of starting a new round.

Now if only the rest of the multiplayer stuff could follow that. :X

nillapuddin

If you're taking that out of context like that, sure, we're talking about the gravity hammer... but if you'd follow the entire thread of conversation it was about 343i working closely with the Griffball community to make sure their gametype played well and played correctly.

Doesnt the commitment to working with specific community groups not fill you with hope?

(Im not being facetious here)

How would you feel if they announced a Team Hardcore or MLG playlist
that had been developed while all of the MLG pros were in Washington consulting 343?

Im honestly expecting just that

Blueblur1

I'd hate to pour salt this early on a lovely Sunday morning but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJOhe_uT0i4

"We've been working closely with the Griffball teams..."
-Kevin Franklin

You should have asked any team of four that's ever played Team Objective about CTF and if there should AT LEAST be the option to play traditional CTF where the flag can be dropped and picked up, just as in previous installments of the storied Halo franchise.

Now the Hammer even has a generic sound effect. Nothing in Halo 4 sounds like Halo. Ugh.

Doesnt the commitment to working with specific community groups not fill you with hope?

(Im not being facetious here)

How would you feel if they announced a Team Hardcore or MLG playlist
that had been developed while all of the MLG pros were in Washington consulting 343?

Im honestly expecting just that

I can't expect that when there is no option to allow flag dropping. Still blows my mind.

If all the hardcore community wants are stripped-down gametypes, it's likely they have already included the tools they will need.

And contesting the validity of someone's point isn't "taking it out of context". We had someone here a short while ago attacking people unjustly for advocating that lore should guide game design (unjustly because no one was doing it at the time) and here you're using it as a counterpoint. It's simply not valid, no matter what larger sentiment with which it was involved.

Blueblur1

Nice post by Nokyard regarding the new scoring system.

runNOKYARDrun said:
Perfect!

I think people here are missing the point. This isn't a case of "adapt", "it's the new way of playing", "we will figure out how to play with new features" The new scoring system completely breaks sport theory and how a symmetric competitive team sport is supposed to be scored.

Let me make a comparison of how the new scoring system would relate to other sports.

Football (Soccer): If you score and the ball comes back onto the field of play by either being struck by the defender from within the goal, bounces back out by striking the goal frame, or rolls out on it's own, the ball is considered to still be in play and may be subsequently, indefinitely kicked back in for further points.

Football (American), Touchdown: After scoring a touchdown play does not stop and you may run back onto the field of play and score further touchdowns until the opposing team is able to tackle the runner, or dislodge the ball and proceed to the other end zone where they may do the same.

Football (American), Field Goal: Once a field goal is scored you may have a player stand in the end zone where he may catch the ball and throw it back to the kicker for further field goals.

You see where i am going with this. In EVERY sport after a goal is scored either, possession is given to the team who was scored upon (Basketball), or the field of play is reset (most other sports). There is no symmetric team sport on earth (that i am aware of) which allows for indefinite scoring chains to be setup (Baseball is turn based, not symmetric).

Players will not be playing Grifball. They will be playing "Let's setup a scoring chain and see how many goals we can score before the other team gets their shit together.

This NEEDS to be fixed. This NEEDS to be fixed before the game goes gold.

Top Bottom