• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

People have complained about how players look in the lobby, but it seems like they're going for a baseball card kinda thing that I dig.

If only it had a skill rank...

senador

Banned
The Prometheans looks just fine to me.

I think that might be it. I did find it strange in practice, though. It's a really short burst - less than a second - so you swing from first to third to first person very rapidly. I'd rather they simply make it so you can't shoot while using the thrust pack.

I still had fun with it, though. The first time I jumped toward a ledge too far away and used the thrust pack to close the distance, I might have let out an involuntary hoot.

The odd and quick third person change is too disruptive for me and the reasons I don't care to use that AA. I imagine AA use will minimal for me.

JHall

Every time I see a Promethean Knight I think of this.

Megatron-450x370.jpg

Oh, something I'm curious about that the PAX goers can see if they can try out for me. Does bumper jumper work well with jetpack? I wonder if they altered something like making it a toggle, or made pressing jump while airborne activate it. Can you still shoot while jetpacking?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It also looks like the grenade indicator is tied to general distance and doesn't necessarily mean damage will be done if the indicator is on the screen. Not sure if I like that. I'll need to play it though and see if it interferes with where I think I'm safe from a grenade.

DeadNames

Banned
Light Rifle 6sk unscoped? And by the looks of the panel, 4sk scoped? Can anyone confirm this?

I like.

When is the Halo 4 website going to be updated? :p

It also looks like the grenade indicator is tied to general distance and doesn't necessarily mean damage will be done if the indicator is on the screen. Not sure if I like that. I'll need to play it though and see if it interferes with where I think I'm safe from a grenade.

Seems to be only tied to xz axis distance (i.e. does not account for height). Could be wrong.

Makes no sense to do that though, in terms of logic and game maths.

JHall

Stretch of the century? They look like space pirates out of Prime if anything.

It's just my opinion. I'm going to try and block it out; I really don't want to be reminded of anything Michael Bay does.

Edit: @DeadNames, it looked like a 5sk unscoped to me. It's really hard to tell with the off-camera stuff if he's missing shots or not.

JHall

Not even The Rock or Bad Boys? Those were fuck-ton-of-awesome.

Man, I forgot about The Rock and Bad Boys. I guess all those Transformer movies and the details about him trying to make Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from outer-space just clouded my judgement.

Sure it's not what you are looking for. You already said what you want is the satisfaction from simply winning. Is that not still there? I understand why you don't needed. I guess I just don't agree that, as a whole, it isn't needed.
I'd point at the games that don't do it, and you could point at those that do, so *shrug* Strawman arguments either way.

I don't think it needs to be mandatory. If anything, having the option to turn it off is fairest to all involved.

Sai-kun

Banned
I've barely been on GAF in the past couple days and I guess I'll at least try to read the thread and catch up on it.

Just wanted to say that it was awesome to meet so many of you, especially when I've known you for years! And 343 has been so great to me (and other folks) on this trip. Y'all are seriously rad!

Okay back to bed bye. See you PAXers at the Gearbox panel!

edit: I guess I'll post impressions of the actual game sometime tomorrow. Idk.
Best thing: Dynamic music. Fuck yeah, it was AWESOME, for real.
Worst thing: Announcer voice announces everything.

Striker

Whelp, flag melee is a 1 hit kill. Start at 5:38
Given how they changed it to that in Halo 3 and Reach, I'm not surprised its remained the same. Melee strength in general has been amped; thankfully melee seems like it won't be a TOD for players like you'd often see in those games. It's hilariously too powerful and makes/made close quarters fighting terrible.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
what i've taken away from pax info/media/impressions:

+ warthog looks fun to drive again!
+ banshee looks considerably slower, especially during maneuvers.
+ CTF with pistol looks like a fun change. i'm getting used to the idea of not being able to drop it to defend yourself, as its not as necessary now that you have a sidearm.
+ jetpack is nerfed! looks a touch slower, but more importantly, it uses its charge VERY quickly and has a slower recharge. no longer can it be spammed non-stop.
+ camo is nerfed! looks virtually the same as TU reach, but the radar jammer is effectively gone (in its place are "distraction" blue dots, for user and enemies).
+ new weapons look pretty slick.
+ new map, like all previously announced maps, looks at least good to great. cant wait to play on it!

- auto pickup. its silly. not a huge gamebreaker, but definitely still a "wtf" moment for me.
- 2x gauss hogs, banshee, tank on new map. please just be for PAX, total overkill.
- regen. huge question mark still. havent heard any impressions and only saw a glimpse of it in one video where its use wasnt demonstrated.
- hectic pace. looks much crazier then my playing style. could just be due to the show atmosphere, or it could be due to universal sprint and game changes. undecided.

LOVE that everyone who gets hands on with it seems mostly pleased. halo 4 seems to take the best of halo 2/3 and reach. as someone who actually enjoyed reach, its nice to see that AA have been tweaked across the board not to be such game changers.

Blueblur1

I think it does, as I did die to some when I had shields - but only when they were low. I'm not sure how it was in Halo 3, but if I had to guess about Halo 4, I'd say frag grenades simply do more damage to shields than to the underlying health. Sort of like how plasma weapons strip shields faster than health and UNSC weapons kill faster than they take shields down. They'll still kill you if you have low shields, but you're not going to take a couple rounds and then die to a frag.

I'm really really happy to hear that.

cocamola

Banned
So Oddball. Now you can just launch the ball off the map from anywhere? Exploit much.

Oh, are the medals not showing a bug in the build? Or are they confirmed to be removed?

Homeboyd

Is someone (oddone, SL @ FUD) keeping a compiled list of all media from PAX posted here? Just caught up on 30 some odd pages of posts and had to skip some of the vids on my way to get here. All the gameplay vids, demos, panel, vidoc, etc... Lookin for it all.

Thanks

Ramirez

Looking forward to playing it without all the fluff. Should be good.

Yea, even with the fluff, you can tell from the videos, this game is more focused on gunplay than anything else, and it looks good.

Will the systems be abused? Yea, by the 5-10% population that is a well coordinated team that beats pretty much everyone they play. The other 90% pleb population? Probably won't even matter.

Is someone (oddone, SL @ FUD) keeping a compiled list of all media from PAX posted here? Just caught up on 30 some odd pages of posts and had to skip some of the vids on my way to get here. All the gameplay vids, demos, panel, vidoc, etc... Lookin for it all.

Thanks
Won't have everything, but HBO will have a bit, at least.
Think THC has been collecting stuff too.

TheOddOne

Thanks
I'll maybe go through everything and compile a list. HBO and Halo Council seems to be most up to date till now.

Top Bottom