• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dat fuckin Plasma Pistol reticule. So cool man.

Awesome gameplay. Pro tip for whoever's gameplay POV that was, you're sprinting yourself into deaths ;)

neoism

shame... I love Reach's sound I played for months without music at first but I'll just have to play the game on low volume.. :/

Awesome gameplay. Pro tip for whoever's gameplay POV that was, you're sprinting yourself into deaths ;)
I think it's Ellis. Dude is cavalier.

I'm talking more of his overall presentation, I love over the top announcement.
Me too, and I've no issue with his delivery here. I just question the need to announce so many things, especially updates on who has the flag or not. It starts to lose impact or even distract. I get that they saw a problem with how poorly objectives were being communicated, but having him call out everything in addition to the HUD showing PROTECT, CAPTURE, etc. with timers is kind of over the top.

Vire

Congratulations 343, you've made Halo sound exactly like every other first person shooter. Nothing except for the drained shield sound effect and Respawn timer sounds like Halo. And some of those Steitzer takes sound terrible. Especially "Enemy Team Scored." The game sounds like hot garbage.

No...

Just no.

You seriously could not be any more off base on this.

Ramirez

Poor David, at one point you were helping defend the flag at their base, if you would have hung back, probably could have stopped them, but you went headstrong into the field and was met by a Gauss shell. :( :p

Fracas

#fuckonami
@6:34 he spawns right in front of a tank. :/

I wasn't sold on the audio at first, but it sounds much better than it did before. DMR looking boss as usual.

Blueblur1

It sounds different, but as someone who was decidedly not sold on the audio before plopping those headphones on - you are incorrect. The game sounds incredible.

I do have some problems with aspects of the sound design, but the quality of most individual sounds isn't one of them.
My point is not the quality of the sounds. It's not about the bit rate or it sounds bad because they held the mic too far away from the gun when they recorded the sound. My point is that it sounds decidedly like a standard military shooter with generic sci-fi sound effects thrown in. It does not sound like Halo. The guns don't sound the same, the grenades don't sound the same, the vehicles doesn't sound the same, the man cannon doesn't sound the same, the flag being stolen audio cue doesn't sound the same. I'm fine with them adding new sound effects for new weapons and vehicles but changing everything else for the sake of change? Fuck that.

Holiday

Banned
I like the new sounds, I think; 343 seems to be good at audio in general. That flag-carrying music is dumb, though. I don't need crappy battle music to tell me what I'm doing is dangerous, especially since the flag will be grafted to my hand.

Flipyap

Exactly, while she certainly looks like she could be a real woman, they exaggerated her features from past iterations seemingly to make her more sexy, which is strange since she was fine before. Now she is super curvy, with huge hips and plus sized breasts and it just seems weird for Cortana. As you said, its not an unbelievable body type, but for her it seems out of place.
It's weird how the change of tech made a very similar character design appear in such a different light.
Halo 3 was the first time she got semi-naked breasts (she was rather flat in 1, plus the dark parts usually made large parts of her chest invisible, and in 2 she looks more like she's wearing a catsuit), but the way she was shaded made her nakedness hardly noticeable. Now, in 4, she's "properly" shaded, making the outline of her breasts stand out at all times. It's just impossible to ignore the "naked babe" part of her design.
I think mocap might have also added to the awkwardness of her new appearance. All the little movements that probably wouldn't be there if she was animated entirely by hand take away from her previously confident stance, making her look rather uncomfortable.

iYb4wOyynFVFT.gif

It would probably be less problematic if she was still the one in charge, in full control, but if she's going to spend the game looking scared and freaking out, while an almost entirely male cast stands around staring at her... things are going to get pretty awkward.

Ryaaan14

Banned
My point is not the quality of the sounds. It's not about the bit rate or it sounds bad because they held the mic too far away from the gun when they recorded the sound. My point is that it sounds decidedly like a standard military shooter with generic sci-fi sound effects thrown in. It does not sound like Halo. The guns don't sound the same, the grenades don't sound the same, the vehicles doesn't sound the same, the man cannon doesn't sound the same, the flag being stolen audio cue doesn't sound the same. I'm fine with them adding new sound effects for new weapons and vehicles but changing everything else for the sake of change? Fuck that.

This seems like the exact sort of thing that takes half a day to get used to.

Ramirez

Did you want them to just go into 3/Reach and start copy pasting? It's a new sound team, they have their vision just like Marty and the gang had theirs.

Speaking of audio, I miss that distant crackle of the BR that 3 had.

plasma pistol looks like it needs to lock on before it'll follow the target. i saw the reticle rotate and get red when he aimed it at an enemy. i think i like this change.

sp3000

Is your belief diminished in any way as a result of this? To me, it seems as though people who enjoy winning will still enjoy winning, but now there are just hooks for more people to enjoy the game. If they added those things in to give players the same enjoyment you get from your reward, is it really a bad thing?

Yes it is.

neoism

It sounds different, but as someone who was decidedly not sold on the audio before plopping those headphones on - you are incorrect. The game sounds incredible.

I do have some problems with aspects of the sound design, but the quality of most individual sounds isn't one of them.

I agree the quality is good, but its not halo... They changed more than I thought... the announcer is terribad..
I miss marty soooooo bad :/
also they listened gaf grenades are useless from what I seen... firecrackers lol

The sprint sway animation is great though....

Vire

Is the death cam in the final game going to be less crazy?

Seems like that thing has a mind of its own and often zooms into the ground for no apparent reason.

Don't know if anyone posted yet but here's the full PAX panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRvV8FN034I&feature=player_embedded

Cool, thanks for posting! Im watching it now, its really interesting hearing about the design process. Here are some more concept images from the Knights that were in the panel:

xcgSQ.png

qcLOd.png

At one point it seems they looked like Flood, at another they looked like Gundams.

It's weird how the change of tech made a very similar character design appear in such a different light.
Halo 3 was the first time she got semi-naked breasts (she was rather flat in 1, plus the dark parts usually made large parts of her chest invisible, and in 2 she looks more like she's wearing a catsuit), but the way she was shaded made her nakedness hardly noticeable. Now, in 4, she's "properly" shaded, making the outline of her breasts stand out at all times. It's just impossible to ignore the "naked babe" part of her design.
I think mocap might have also added to the awkwardness of her new appearance. All the little movements that probably wouldn't be there if she was animated entirely by hand take away from her previously confident stance, making her look rather uncomfortable.

iYb4wOyynFVFT.gif

It would probably be less problematic if she was still the one in charge, in full control, but if she's going to spend the game looking scared and freaking out, while an almost entirely male cast stands around staring at her... things are going to get pretty awkward.

Yeah, I think there are numerous things that really playing into Cortanas new design, from graphical leaps, to stylistic changes.. But ultimately its sort of has changed the way her character comes off on screen. The nakedness is fine, but now the features seem much larger and more detailed, thus seemingly putting a stronger emphasis on them. I wish they dialed back the curves to compensate for the new detail. I still imagine she will be a very strong character, but I will admit she seems to emote in a more fragile way, even is scenes where she seems happy.

GhaleonEB

Bungie did this. Weapons from game to game, that carried over, got a new audio pass. I can't think of any weapon from the games that sounds the same in each. Some are close, but they all got updated; listen to the AR in each game it appeared. And that was the same audio team.

Here's a new team with a new developer with a decidedly different take on their vision (hmmm) for the sound scape.

I can't comment on how it compares to other games, since I don't play a lot of other shooters. Maybe it's generic and I don't know it. But when played it, I thought 1) this is totally different and 2) it's pretty great.

It also has problems. More on that in a few hours, gotta make lunch.

Ramirez

I agree the quality is good, but its not halo... They changed more than I thought... the announcer is terribad..
I miss marty soooooo bad :/
also they listened gaf grenades are useless from what I seen... firecrackers lol

The sprint sway animation is great though....

It's the same announcer, what are you talking about?

Good. I came back to playing Reach after a few months of no videogames at all, and the grenades were the thing that caused me rage more than any other. The second cheapest thing in the game.

feel

Thank you very much for that video Claude. Finally an entire match in direct feed.

First thing that stood out was the crunchy sound, good stuff by Tojima. Game doesn't seem that bad, seems like a Reach that actually has fun mechanics underneath. Gunplay seemed good, the bloom on the DMR only seems to come into play at extreme distances, it's just a tiny spread up close from what I see. Still doesn't seem like something that will grab me by the balls for years, but seems like a decent flavor of the month distraction, at the very least, and who knows maybe I'll really get into it. Thanks again Wu.

Blueblur1

Did you want them to just go into 3/Reach and start copy pasting? It's a new sound team, they have their vision just like Marty and the gang had theirs.

Speaking of audio, I miss that distant crackle of the BR that 3 had.
The difference here is that 343 is working on a established franchise. So yes, I do expect them to use the sound files for the returning weapons and items. These changes are like changing the sound effects that play when Mario is powered up by a mushroom or collects coins or like when Sonic picks up rings. Those sound effects are iconic and distinctive parts of the series; of the experience.

neoism

I'm with you blue....:/

so no inertia what so ever? Does it feel to floaty.....
Seem funny they make ever thing sound more metaly and heavy.....:/ but no weight to it...
Nothing feels floaty about the movement. In terms of actual speed and jump height, it's in that ballpark, but it doesn't "feel" like Halo 3's movement and jumps at all. It doesn't "feel" like any prior Halo game in that regard.
As long as the core is right, the rest of it can be edited per playlist. Reach didn't nail any core element and I still managed to put in 4k games, I have higher hopes for 4 given all of the positive impressions.
As long as the core gameplay is good, and the game emphasizes that core gameplay and gunplay, then the game will be fun, and the rest of the stuff will sort of just fall into place. That's how Halo 4 feels.
I'm still catching up, but is this true? I thought you'd only be able to wield a magnum if you had one on you already?! This would kinda suck.
You always pull out the Magnum, or "Flagnum" when you pick up the flag. It doesn't matter what weapons you had prior to getting the flag.
is the new grenade as useless as it looks?
It's a bit tricky, I couldn't really get it down in the limited time I had with it.

I think the way it works is it bounced off whatever you throw it at, and on the rebound and expands and stops in the air.
The call sign in that vid was Uhas, GAF invasion, or coincidence? :p
GAF invasion. We changed the call tags when you played an FFA game so we would know who we were and I don't think anyone changed that call tag on that Xbox for the rest of the day.
Light Rifle 6sk unscoped? And by the looks of the panel, 4sk scoped? Can anyone confirm this?
David told us that the damage was different when scoped versus unscoped. I think it's 4sk and 5sk, but I'm not sure.
- regen. huge question mark still. havent heard any impressions and only saw a glimpse of it in one video where its use wasnt demonstrated.
- hectic pace. looks much crazier then my playing style. could just be due to the show atmosphere, or it could be due to universal sprint and game changes. undecided.

Comments on these ones:
-Regen was probably the AA I was worried about the most, and my worries were for not (Barrow can back this as well). Despite the origin and basic function of the awful Regen equipment in Halo 3, it doesn't work much like it. You throw it down, which takes some time, and you can be killed during that, you can be shot and killed standing in regen. If you aren't be shot, and you deploy or step into one that's already there and get your shields very fast, but it doesn't really help you that much if people are shooting at you. This opinion comes from someone that hates that piece of H3 equipment.
-Definitely faster paced and more hectic than H3 or Reach. I love that aspect, there are some that might not.

To blueblur complaining about it sounding too "generic:" that's because they used real weapon sounds in their sound design this time, much like other shooters nowadays, hence the whole "reality is unrealistic" perspective. Halo 3's assault rifle was a stock sound effect, I think Starcraft used it once or twice as well. They're just going out of their way to re-record a lot of stuff for asset purposes. Think about it this way:

Let's say we want unique sounds for three weapons - the Assault Rifle, Pistol, and Battle Rifle. But, resource constraints mean they all have to be based on one "core" sound with outside modifications. In Halo 3, this would be a stock sound effect with some post-processing. So while it may sound more unique, it also sounds less powerful and considerably less realistic. In Halo 4, they go out and record a few automatic or semi-auto weapons, and go from there. More punch, but more "precise" bullet noises are the result, rather than a consistent KAPOW KAPOW KAPOW by mixing in shotgun noises to every gun.

I think the sound design's wonderful, though Steitzer needs to lay off the coke when he records his lines. I'm half-expecting his Infinity AI "Steitzerbot" to be in the anger stage of Rampancy. Poor guy probably had to shoot up meth before he did the multikill sounds as per 343's instructions... something tells me he'll sound more and more pumped the more kills you get.

JHall

Steitzer: "KILL THEIR CARRIER"
Me: "STFU STEITZER, STOP TELLING ME WHAT TO DO!"

All these visual and audio ques are more annoying than
Flag Dropped
Flag Taken
Flag Dropped
Flag Taken
Flag Dropped
Flag Taken

You know what's weird? The vidoc still isn't up on Waypoint. You'd think that 343 would put their media on their own site, right?

I guess you missed the part where 343 said to expect it from online sources first and that it'd be made available on Waypoint soon enough, probably with the rest of the panel to accompany it. Gotta give Gamespot their ad revenue and all that jazz.

IHaveIce

Banned
Cool, thanks for posting! Im watching it now, its really interesting hearing about the design process. Here are some more concept images from the Knights that were in the panel:

xcgSQ.png

qcLOd.png

At one point it seems they looked like Flood, at another they looked like Gundams.

It is amazing I like all designs form the first picture more than the final design.. And also many from the second picture.

Flipyap

xcgSQ.png

qcLOd.png

I like the Foodlike ones. With a different color palette, they would look like combat-effective Engineers.

And I totally agree with you on the issues with the new Cortana.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
The difference here is that 343 is working on a established franchise. So yes, I do expect them to use the sound files for the returning weapons and items. These changes are like changing the sound effects that play when Mario is powered up by a mushroom or collects coins or like when Sonic picks up rings. Those sound effects are iconic and distinctive parts of the series; of the experience.

You shouldn't, they have changed game after game after game.

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

Top Bottom