• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Derp. Let's try this again.

1. Haven
2. Adrift
3. ?
4. ?
5. Exile/Longbow
6. Longbow/Exile
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. "The biggest map we've ever put in a Halo game to date" #777

I'd say thats about perfect. I really hope the biggest map is as big as Sandtrap or bigger.

So the sounds in Wu's vid sound great. Also Mark VI helmet confirmed if it wasn't already @ 3:25.
It was in Naked Eli's video, but the new video gives us a good look. It's not just the Mark VI helmet, it's the full suit. Looks sexy.
343 give us a render.

However seeing the Mark VI in the game really makes me wish Chief started off in that and got the new suit when the Infinity crashed down.

feel

Enjoyed the panel, the MP demo part with them goofing off reminded me of the Halo 2 E3 2004 demo a bit.

Bonnie sighting there at the end.. nice. ^_^

Who shouted Halogaf there when people were getting up to leave?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Enjoyed the panel, the MP demo part with them goofing off reminded me of the Halo 2 E3 2004 demo a bit.

Bonnie sighting there at the end.. nice. ^_^

Who shouted Halogaf there when people were getting up to leave?

Apparently Josh Homies

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Does this mean you agree with the sentiment expressed?

No it means I totally get the reaction but have the advantage of long term experience and test feedback to know it's not a big concern at all after the "break in" period and also know it's a benefit for a lot of players

DeadNames

Banned
So the sounds in Wu's vid sound great. Also Mark VI helmet confirmed if it wasn't already @ 3:25.

I can't even hear some of the sounds.

Game looks great. Strafing is back, and overall AAs don't seem to change the pace of the game. I'm surprised at the amount of people not using Jetpack, Camo, regen, and sentry.

Edit: Steitzer says "enemy team scored" like he's a bored 16 year old girl :p. Wish I saw more gameplay with the Promethean weapons though... The Light Rifle seems beastly.

feel

No it means I totally get the reaction but have the advantage of long term experience and test feedback to know it's not a big concern at all after the "break in" period.
You still haven't got back to me on if you'll sell me the game a week or two in advance so it gets to this remote land at about the same time as the rest of the world.

No it means I totally get the reaction but have the advantage of long term experience and test feedback to know it's not a big concern at all after the "break in" period and also know it's a benefit for a lot of players

I have to admit it's going to be nice having occasional guests (or just playing with randoms online) and them learning everything from the game rather than it being a few hours of "so that flag thing's just for bonus points right?"

Clarifictakular.

I just hope it doesn't grate on, Its probably easy enough to ignore, but I will want to keep my ears open for useful announcements. I worry that the noise ratio make it harder to pick out useful info, or that I will want to just ignore everything.

FyreWulff

My hotel roommate lost his pass so I lent it to him earlier this morning. He's working through the games he wanted to play, then once he gets back ill make one solid college try at that halo 4 line before pax closes. Then it's two bonus days in Seattle after today to wander around and get lost.

In Retrospect I should have gone to the booth during the halo 4 panel.

heckfu

Banned
The announcer is not a huge deal. You hear him but I can't express how frenetic a lot of the gameplay is, it is super helpful to have him yell "kill the carrier" or whatever.

And what a silly criticism, he already used to yell "flag taken" so how is a change in wording any different?

The announcer is not a huge deal. You hear him but I can't express how frenetic a lot of the gameplay is, it is super helpful to have him yell "kill the carrier" or whatever.

And what a silly criticism, he already used to yell "flag taken" so how is a change in wording any different?

People are talking about the fact that he says A LOT of things now.

Pop

People are talking about the fact that he says A LOT of things now.

Who cares. The more the better, you guys are focusing on him because your not actually in the battle. I'd imagine once your in the match his words will be the very least of what your worried about.

Havok

It was weird when they talked about 'rebalancing' the Banshee so it maneuvers more slowly (and is thus more vulnerable) but fires faster (and is thus more powerful), when the problem most people seemed to have with the Banshee in Reach was that it was simultaneously too powerful and too vulnerable. It's like they set out to make it even more of a glass cannon than it was before, likely shortening average lifespans for both Banshee pilots and those on foot. That doesn't make sense to me.

Why not make the Banshee more nimble, more challenging to fly and fight (in terms of its maneuvering), and more of a suppression/assistance vehicle rather than being a easy-to-use devastating killing machine for the thirty seconds it can stay in the air before being shredded by small arms?
Agreed. I've always liked the idea of the Banshee being a guerilla warfare style vehicle, having it be able to get in, do a bit of damage or suppress, and then get out when it gets too hot via maneuverability. If you tone down its offensive capabilities, you can make it more durable without it becoming a nuisance. But when it can eliminate most things with one green goo blob in a heartbeat, there's no reason for it to try to escape, it kills faster than almost anything in the game without sacrificing that maneuverability. Keeping with the MMO terms, it's not a glass cannon currently, it's an avoidance tank with a crazy high burst damage skill. I like that they slowed it down and tried to get people to use the main guns, but as long as that fuel rod exists it's going to dominate.

(Also, since some people have asked me to post these here, I wrote up some thoughts on how the roles of HUD waypoints and the multiplayer announcer have changed.)

Oh I understand that completely but none of us here found it detracting from gameplay at all, in complete honesty.

I find it hilarious and don't mind it. However it goes completely against the idea of making multiplayer canon because it breaks all immersion. Honestly I care very little about immersion in multiplayer because it's already too silly.

The one thing that annoyed me about announcements was in oddball demo.
"Ball thrown" was a global announcement sent to everyone.
Then you have "Nice catch", "Long ball", etc.
I feel like it could get annoying in custom games where throwing the ball is a large part of the game.
...like in Grifball..

I think it's more along the lines of the constant bombardment of announcements, plus the fact that some of them are inarguably stupid- e.g. "Flagsassination" and "Headshot"

I noticed "Headshot" announcement was not in Wu's direct feed.

Oh and someone should definitely check how the frame rate handles from that direct feed footage.

I think it's more along the lines of the constant bombardment of announcements, plus the fact that some of them are inarguably stupid- e.g. "Flagsassination" and "Headshot"

Ryaaan14

Banned
Who cares. The more the better, you guys are focusing on him because your not actually in the battle. I'd imagine once your in the match his words will be the very least of what your worried about.

:_|

I agree though. Between the extra announcer bits and the center text, it seems like you'll have a much better guage on what's going on without having to redirect your attention.

Flag dropped, flag taken, flag dropped, flag taken, flag dropped, flag taken, flag dropped, flag taken, flag dropped, flag taken, flag dropped, flag taken, flag dropped, flag taken, flag dropped, flag captured.

Pop

:_|

I agree though. Between the extra announcer bits and the center text, it seems like you'll have a much better guage on what's going on without having to redirect your attention.

Sorry forgot this is English class. My bad...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah. Lack of options seem to be a thing. Really hope the no white text toggle makes it in, I know David said they were working on that before the game goes gold.

Didn't he actually say he would talk to some people and it would go in the "look at but not a priority list?"

I wouldn't take that as "working on it."

At this point I would imagine what we see is pretty much what we get.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yeah. Lack of options seem to be a thing. Really hope the no white text toggle makes it in, I know David said they were working on that before the game goes gold.
They keep saying that Halo 4 multiplayer is all about creating your own Spartan and customizating it to fit your playstyle but I don't see that reflected in the game options at all. From what I seen it seems like they just copied Reach's option menu and kept it to that. No music settings, no assassination toggle, no vertical sensitivity, no sensitivity slider, no HUD customization, no aim acceleration toggle, no safe area adjustment option, nothing. Really disappointing stuff. Those relatively small additions can make a huge difference.

Sorry forgot this is English class. My bad...

tumblr_m14g79Nj6v1rrb9xco1_500.gif

Nice avatar btw, seems like the sides were pushed in though..

id take that over ROAD TRIP!

That HAD to be a joke later to be removed, right? Right?

Flipyap

GWDqt.png

Holy crap, these designs are so cool! There's an entire dude hanging out of the fat bot! And an upper body sticking out of the tentacled one!
Now, if you consider those little wimpy inner arms of the final Prom Knight, the bug-like abdomen is big enough to fit an entire person lying down. That would basically make them... vehicles?
That... That would actually be pretty cool. And weird. I like weird.

Agreed, I didn't even notice it while playing, just like you don't notice the text on the screen, but you can look slightly up and read it if you want to.

IHaveIce

Banned
GWDqt.png

Holy crap, these designs are so cool! There's an entire dude hanging out of the fat bot! And an upper body sticking out of the tentacled one!
Now, if you consider those little wimpy inner arms of the final Prom Knight, the bug-like abdomen is big enough to fit an entire person lying down. That would basically make them... vehicles?

The left one reminded me totally of the description of the Timeless one. It just lacks the tail

DeadNames

Banned
am i the only one who is reminded of Flood combat forms when looking at these FR designs?

No. I thought of them as well. Personally, I don't really like them. They seem too flood-like..

The Knight we have know is a perfect blend of artificial and an organic look.

GWDqt.png

I always think of the Independence Day aliens whenever I see the Promethian Knights.. and all that concept art just connects them even more. Some even look like Flood variations..

lilty

Longbow doesn't feel that big compared to a lot of BTB maps. I was running side to side fairly quickly. Especially compared to something like Hemorrhage in Reach which takes 3 days to travel.

Top Bottom