• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

TheOddOne

Holy shit this looks awesome:
tumblr_m9of92MQse1qzhv3bo1_500.png
From here.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Even if I could go to NYCC, I'm so fucking neurotic about getting my game at midnight, I'd ditch it to go somewhere to get the game and be out the door at 12:01.

I bet it'll be fun times though. Hope to see pics.

Akai__

I drink Jager straight from the bottle.

So good...

Halo

Oh god. Last time, I was doing this, it didn't went good. I would show you guys a hilarious picture, but it would be too awkward. :lol

Edit:

Hate to bring back the armor discussion, but after it was announced Mk VI would be unlocked via beating Legendary, I'm curious how many other armor sets will be unlocked by achievements.

I think I'm the only one in HaloGAF who enjoyed armor through achievements though. :_|

No, you aren't. I love the way Halo 3 does it. It's a challenge, not a hard one, but it is a challenge.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Hate to bring back the armor discussion, but after it was announced Mk VI would be unlocked via beating Legendary, I'm curious how many other armor sets will be unlocked by achievements.

I think I'm the only one in HaloGAF who enjoyed armor through achievements though. :_|

Karl2177

I want some through achievements and some through progression via credits. You aren't the only one.

I should also point out that the ones are through achievements can also be earned through progression, but they cost a lot.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I loved that to be honest.

I didn't know this was confirmed. Good to know I'll have it day 1. ;)

Unlocking armor through achievements is fine. As long as the achievements aren't bullshit like some of the Lone Wolves ones in Halo 3.

So what's everyone's launch plans? Jump right into multi or go for campaign. Start out on legendary, or go slow for the story?

My girlfriend and two buddies will be doing heroic on launch night. We wanna play the campaign and take in the story, we'll worry about legendary after that. I can't wait for this campaign. My only hope is we have a co op compaign that is more like Halo 3 with lots of vehicles and large diverse battles. Reach wasn't nearly as good for co-op and ODST was a bit limited, although better than reach.

After that I have a whole 5 days of vacation to play Halo non-stop. I'm way ahead of all my classes this semester right now, so that way I won't have any work to do.

You know what that shit is made of, right?

No, I don't know what a fictional drink is made of.

I'm salty today, I should eat something.
So what's everyone's launch plans? Jump right into multi or go for campaign. Start out on legendary, or go slow for the story?

My girlfriend and two buddies will be doing heroic on launch night. We wanna play the campaign and take in the story, we'll worry about legendary after that. I can't wait for this campaign. My only hope is we have a co op compaign that is more like Halo 3 with lots of vehicles and large diverse battles. Reach wasn't nearly as good for co-op and ODST was a bit limited, although better than reach.

After that I have a whole 5 days of vacation to play Halo non-stop. I'm way ahead of all my classes this semester right now, so that way I won't have any work to do.

Solo Heroic campaign.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You know what that shit is made of, right?

Definitely not worm anus secretions.

Legendary solo.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Co-op campaign with my brother (tradition) probably. If enough gaffers want to play multiplayer, than I'd be down for that as well.

zap

Originally Posted by Hypertrooper: View Post
I am happy that I am not allowed to drink Jägermeister.
No one should drink Jager.

Oh come on! What's with all the Jäger hate? :(

Originally Posted by Steelyuhas: View Post
I don't feel the need to drink liquid black licorice.

So good...

Now, he knows!

Try use these tags:
Code:
[quote] [ /quote]

Or better yet, click the quote button under their avatar (or the plus button if you are wanting to quote several people).

Probably Heroic Solo. Maybe co-op heroic if my friend is up for the midnight launch.

I know a lot of guys immediately jump online to see how the multiplayer is, but I always do Heroic campaign first, then a Legendary run with my younger brother. We've been doing co-op runs together since we first got a Xbox/Halo back in 2001, it's essentially a family tradition at this point.

Originally Posted by Hypertrooper: View Post
I am happy that I am not allowed to drink Jägermeister.
No one should drink Jager.

Oh come on! What's with all the Jäger hate? :(

Originally Posted by Steelyuhas: View Post
I don't feel the need to drink liquid black licorice.

So good...

Now, he knows!
Misquoting someone? Quoting isn't hard. Btw. I am not hating Jägermeister. I love it. Except it is warm.

Solo Heroic campaign.
Yep. My plan too. Hopefully it will be a enjoyable but not too easy ride.

m23

I'll start out with Heroic Solo, probably one mission that night. I usually take my time with campaigns, I like to take it in at a reasonable pace, play a few matches of multiplayer along the way. Work and stuff will prevent me from pulling all nighters.

feel

Just finished replaying Crysis 2, this time on the completely maxed out PC version, with Maldo's texture mod, and was getting a framerate around 100fps.. So damn beautiful. While fighting the aliens I was constantly thinking of Halo and how sweet it would be with those visuals, I hope Halo 5 can look at least 75% as good and they push it to 60fps.

I still love that it takes one ODST to bring down a Scarab in Halo: ODST but all Carter can think of is ramming the Pelican into it.
The ODST was in a Banshee. Carter was heavily (deadly-) injured. He'd have been no real help on the battlefield. So he sacrificed himself to give a Emile and N6 a chance and destroyed the dream to fight against a Scarab in Reach's sandbox. (which would have been interesting...)

Idea for the Promethean vehicles: make them Sentinels. Here's how it would work:
-Sentinels function by themselves, unmanned, as standard enemies.
-After taking significant damage, they vary in action, depending on how much damage they receive much like vehicles.
-If they take too much damage, they simply explode and are destroyed for good.
-However, taking ~90% damage would send them into a "withdraw" mode. Examples already in-game include active:

Withdrawn:

-While withdrawn, Sentinels would remain inactive on the ground for a short period of time. This gives them two options:
-After about 10 seconds, they repair enough to get off the ground and begin fighting again. (This is assuming Sentinels would have regenerating health.)
-If you go up to them, it prompts "Press X to Board Enemy Sentinel."
-Doing so would initiate a light transformation sequence where the Sentinel rearranged and contorted to function as a vehicle for you, using levitation, possibly boosting, and whatever weaponry it had at the time.

Basic vanilla Sentinels explode and are destroyed like usual, but there can be four other options:

1. Super Sentinel. Light Recon / "Promethean Ghost"
640px-Forerunner_Sentinel_Boss.jpg

Active Mode: Central concept.
Withdrawn Mode: Bottom-right.
Vehicle Mode: Top-left.

This would be the quickest of the Promethean vehicles, capable of levitating off the ground and getting some aerial capacity, but is better at horizontal/lateral movement rather than ascent. It can boost. Its only weapon is a modified Sentinel Beam, which does about 90% damage of a regular Sentinel Beam, but slows down and stuns targets, similar to the Halo CE Plasma Rifle.

2. Promethean Enforcer. Middle-Level Vehicle / "Promethean Warthog"
Active Mode:
614px-Enforcer.png

Withdrawn Mode:
640px-HaloSentinelEnforcer-scan.jpg

Vehicle Mode: ?

This would be similar to a Warthog, and could theoretically hold two allies in the lower modified "arms." It loses its ability to crush other vehicles but can still float a considerable height above the ground, but is fairly slow for a mid-level vehicle. Its weapons include a mortar-like ballistic missile launcher that the driver can use (which requires recharge), and the two passengers can also control Promethean Needler shots--roughly equivalent to using two buffed Needlers at once per "turret," recolored red. It can use its frontal shield, but it will automatically deactivate to accommodate passengers.

3. Promethean Retriever. Heavy Vehicle / "Promethean Scorpion"
StratoSentinel.jpg

Active Mode: Right concept.
Withdrawn Mode: Left concept.
Vehicle Mode:
640px-Strato-Sentinel.png

While initially levitating, being occupied by a Spartan would force it to convert to a grounded "walker" form, with the slowest movement time, comparable to a Scorpion tank. Rather than rely on explosives, the Retriever could fire an incredibly powerful set of three Sentinel Beams with enough power to destroy a rival Scorpion as long as the entire beam connected (which would last about five seconds). It would take a four-second recharge and while it can turn on a 360 degree axis, the Retriever cannot walk while firing its beam. Its downsides include its wide top being exposed to a variety of fire, legs getting heavily damaged by grenades and heavy fire, and the two side "vents" could be boarded to place grenades in.

4. Forerunner Tank. Context-sensitive, situational "Super" vehicle
640px-Origins-Unnamed-Sentinel.png

This vehicle's properties are unknown, minus having a single beam attack capable of leveling entire cities using a form of "Hardlight Glassing."

The ODST was in a Banshee. Carter was heavily (deadly-) injured. He'd have been no real help on the battlefield. So he sacrificed himself to give a Emile and N6 a chance and destroyed the dream to fight against a Scarab in Reach's sandbox. (which would have been interesting...)

If I recall correctly, that wouldn't have been possible. I'm pretty sure Scarabs in Reach are coded as pieces of the environment, not vehicles, and are therefore indestructible.

Top Bottom